Abingdon Marathon

Comments

• Similarly, I was wondering whether to do the New Forest marathon if I don't get in.  I've heard it described as 'undulating' but the course profile doesn't look as if there's any really bad hills in it.  Anyone opinions on how it would compare against Leicester as an alternative?
  • piranha  NUMBER SWAPPED
    runner bean (next in line to be offered one...)
    slow duck
    c-cat
    mitten
    doc 117
    dave magee
    fast legs
    Marathonman61
    dalli
    top banana
    oldshoes
    Holymoly
    Eva MIdsole
    Custard Cream
    Mark Skev
    Jacqui W
    Wibles
    Smiffie
    dough boy
    Kal3000
    andyp
    MatthewTickle
    julie stribling2
    chris
    jforce
    Jill jones
    Rod Jones
    Raoul
    Senor spam
    Les Pullen
    Seb Coe
    Wilfie
    John Gallagher
    Stet
    David Johnson 9
    Mark Reynolds
    andy miles
    Sezz
    Sian Alberry 2
    Edski675
    Ben Fancourt
    Paul Brinkley
    clive smith 2
    Stuchbury
    The Pilch
    Paul E Smith
    Dorothy Lucas
    Ian Rees 2
    miss_harris
    David Rose
    mick bridgeland
    wendy king
    mark ring

and another !!

can't help you with either I'm afraid, have only done FLM several times and abingdon once and got my PB at abingdon so can testify it is definitely a fast course !

• m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

EEK. Just got my race pack for Edinburgh next weekend.

Why do I keep entering marathons? image

• hi KAL 3000,i did the NEW FOREST MARATHON some years back vaguely remember it as underlating not over hilly mind the forest trails are quick you can get a decent time there but not a pb coarse,DUBLIN in oct would be better but not flat either not easy to get a flat coarse over 26.2 miles
  • mitten have a good 1 next week thats the fastest marathon on uk soil but it's on the coast and mr wind comes out a lot did in 2005 3hr11  in a howling gale,not many coarses you can get them times in that weatherimage
  • hi KAL3000 just read your profile your aim is shakespear marathon a very nice run,but they do the half the same time,so when you get to 13 miles about a 1000+ head for the finish and just us fool hardy runners left,couldn't give you a time for the coarse the year i did it was the week after london and i only got 3hr 32 that day
  • Thanks marathonman, guess my profile is out of date ... I did Shakespeare in April & enjoyed it. Yes it got a little lonely after the half left! Thanks for the info on new forest image
  • Similarly, I was wondering whether to do the New Forest marathon if I don't get in.  I've heard it described as 'undulating' but the course profile doesn't look as if there's any really bad hills in it.  Anyone opinions on how it would compare against Leicester as an alternative?
  • Hmm ... sorry, it seems to have retreived my older post.?!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Wow that's some list of people wanting numbers - hope I'm not one to have give mine up!

It's good to see the organisers are allowing number swaps this year though as last year I was ill and wasn't allowed to transfer my number.  It does make sense to allow people to do so as it fills up so early anything can happen to people who have places.  I'm sure there will be a fair few numbers come available in the next couple of months.  I do hope people who are waiting for numbers do the normal training though and not just think they can wait for a number to become available in the last few weeks!

• May I also join the back of the list!?

Thank you!!

slow duck
    c-cat
    mitten
    doc 117
    dave magee
    fast legs
    Marathonman61
    dalli
    top banana
    oldshoes
    Holymoly
    Eva MIdsole
    Custard Cream
    Mark Skev
    Jacqui W
    Wibles
    Smiffie
    dough boy
    Kal3000
    andyp
    MatthewTickle
    julie stribling2
    chris
    jforce
    Jill jones
    Rod Jones
    Raoul
    Senor spam
    Les Pullen
    Seb Coe
    Wilfie
    John Gallagher
    Stet
    David Johnson 9
    Mark Reynolds
    andy miles
    Sezz
    Sian Alberry 2
    Edski675
    Ben Fancourt
    Paul Brinkley
    clive smith 2
    Stuchbury
    The Pilch
    Paul E Smith
    Dorothy Lucas
    Ian Rees 2
    miss_harris
    David Rose
    mick bridgeland
    wendy king
    mark ring
    Christiane Koll

there you go

what a lovely bank holiday, off out for a run soon to top up those vest marks !

• Hi Beders and all on the waiting list,

I hope it goes well for you all, and you get into and run Abingdon, but just in case you don`t get a place then think about joining us a week earlier, running the Leicester city marathon. Loads of entries available right up to, and even entry on the day(premium to pay for this privilage though).

We have a Leicester city marathon thread going, and would welcome you popping in to take a look, maybe Abingdon is the one you have set your heart on,  but at least you now know that there is an alternative close to that date that you could run.

Happy running

shaggy t

• Thanks for that shaggy. I'll keep that in mind. Whats the course like for PB potential? I'm looking to go sub3
  • Thanks for that shaggy although have to admit I'm not on the list as I've got a place at Abingdon. Did look at the leicester one but did do the Abingdon last year and loved it and I seem to be a creature of habit so I'm back there again this year.

a nice easy 5 miler in the sun, not ususal bank holiday weather but well appreciated.

• Hi 

Would it be possible to add me -  Dotty to the list please?

Cheers!

• um... just checking back on as I am overseas at moment and it's hard to log on... does not appear to be much change on the list, but I guess people will not pull out until they start upping training in earnest and (sadly for them!) have to pull out for the various reasons...
  • And another one to be added to the list please! Many many thanks for organising this....
    slow duck
    c-cat
    mitten
    doc 117
    dave magee
    fast legs
    Marathonman61
    dalli
    top banana
    oldshoes
    Holymoly
    Eva MIdsole
    Custard Cream
    Mark Skev
    Jacqui W
    Wibles
    Smiffie
    dough boy
    Kal3000
    andyp
    MatthewTickle
    julie stribling2
    chris
    jforce
    Jill jones
    Rod Jones
    Raoul
    Senor spam
    Les Pullen
    Seb Coe
    Wilfie
    John Gallagher
    Stet
    David Johnson 9
    Mark Reynolds
    andy miles
    Sezz
    Sian Alberry 2
    Edski675
    Ben Fancourt
    Paul Brinkley
    clive smith 2
    Stuchbury
    The Pilch
    Paul E Smith
    Dorothy Lucas
    Ian Rees 2
    miss_harris
    David Rose
    mick bridgeland
    wendy king
    mark ring
    Christiane Koll
    Dotty
    Mark Braley 3

think you're right MT, after the excitement of the first swap might be a bit boring on here for a while as the list gradually grows, hope you're not working too hard abroad to get some running in ?

cheers

beders

• AeschylusAeschylus ✭✭✭

Do you think we need to establish a presence on the main Abingdon marathon thread, just to let them know we're here should anyone have to  withdraw? 
    Are you a regular contributor on the main thread, Beders, and are you happy to fly the flag for us  there, or would it be helpful if the rest of us popped in from time to time?

(Thanks again for your commitment to us would-be-Abingdoners) 

• sorry guys haven't been about a while, unfortunately my bother in law, a really really great guy, has just passed away this morning, only 57,  after fighting myloma for 5 years. would you mind posting a bit on the main thread for a week or so runner-bean ?, I'll keep coming on this one but will take a break of most of the posting for a few days

cheers

beders

• Beders, sorry to hear that mate, that's very sad news. My deepest condolences to you and your family. Take care mate.
  • m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

Just popped in here to moan about a rubbish Edinburgh marathon......... but reading the post of beders has knocked those feelings on the head. 

beders - sorry to hear about your brother in law. Condolences to you and your family.

Mitts

• AeschylusAeschylus ✭✭✭

Really sorry to hear about your brother in law, beders.  No age at all: how very sad. 
    Of course I'll post on the main thread, and I'll quite happily add any new people to the list here too.  Take as much time out as you want, and take care of yourself.

• Sorry to hear your bad new beders. Take care.

• Runner bean - can you add my name too? Long list=Long shot I know but I have unfinished business with the 26.2......
  • Hi everyone,  Beder I am sorry to hear your sad news, 57 is so young, my thoughts go out to you and your family, take care.
  • Sad news bedders. My thoughts to you and the family

Chris

slow duck
    c-cat
    mitten
    doc 117
    dave magee
    fast legs
    Marathonman61
    dalli
    top banana
    oldshoes
    Holymoly
    Eva MIdsole