IronMan Tattoo's

Comments

• Hadn't really thought of it as a logo or corporate branding but now that you've all mentioned it....image

Still, its quietly sitting in my mind palying with the pro's and cons!

• If I get round I'd like to get one.

I'm not keen on corporate branding but it's hardly like Nike or Nestle is it...

• Not sure I'd ever actually get a tattoo but they do fascinate me. May get an Mdot as and when I get round to actually doing an IM race. And I've picked out a phrase I'd quite fancy being tattooed if I ever get round to a sub-4 mara: Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim.

(Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you.  - Ovid)

• GertieGertie ✭✭✭
    I keep thinking about it, but then I start thinking about what my Mum would sayimage
  • I thought long and hard about it, then Mrs NGL said I didn't need one. I decided that as I didn't argue about it, it wasn't that important to me.
  • M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    I have a tattoo but I didn't ever get round to getting an IM one.  I did try to come up with a design that incorporated the logo without being just the M dot but I couldn't find anything that I really liked and in the end I decided not to bother.  If / when I do it again I may have another go at a design.
  • Good thread , I have one so does Slummo in fact hes got one big one and a little one for each new race he racks up he will make ten this year , by doing three , nutjob. His partner Bendy Jan has one too.

Mine is on the right calf at three quarters , get it red with black outline looks so much better. I forget I have it and then other people remind me and I really like that. So this evening playing frisbee in Green Park with some workmates (intervals , really )and someone who works in my team noticed it and thought it was really cool , shes comfortably young enough to be my daughter so that was nice.

Also last year at washington Marine Corps MAra I was dying on my arse at 22 miles (usual) and some bloke in the crowd shouts come on Ironman pick it up and it really made a big difference. Im happy I had it done brand issues aside , but its a personal choice.

Go on AL ;0)

• BTW Eternal tattoos of dorking (Trogs et al ) are superb , the chaps there have done thousands and gave good advice which if followed avoids any issues in the first key 48 hrs.

If you are going to get one get a decent one from a reputable artist.

• GertieGertie ✭✭✭
    If I did get one after IMCH then I have seen a design where the dot is the red and white swiss cross.
  • Nam wrote (see)

I'm not keen on corporate branding but it's hardly like Nike or Nestle is it...

I think the thing with Mdots is that they kind of transend the typical coorporate logo stigma. Partly because of what they actually represent and partly because official IM races are not the only ones about, many people get a tattoo after doing a non-sanctioned event. Quite rightly so I think, although there are some twats who think you have to do an official to 'earn' the tattoo. Fortunately they are few and far between.

At the end of the day you achieve something you are proud of so there is nothing wrong with showing your 'badge of honour' image

• Problem with a tatt is you can have the tatt without doing the race.  Not everyone who has a RfL tattoo has completed the course.

So what Ironman should do is have proper branding of finishers.  Every finisher would be roped by Ironman cowboys who apply hot irons which brands the IM logo into the finisher's skin.  That way everyone knows the tattoo is genuine.
  • Yep rosey has an ace one with loads of flags of different countries hes raced in round the M dot .

If you did that Gertie you could start a little collection of them , seen it happen...

• Likewise, I'm not wild about the idea of the corporate logo but at this moment in time if I get around this one, I might never do another one and I'd like some permanent proof I did it. Besides, most non triathletes wouldn't recognise them anyway. I've never really been a fan of tattoos for myself but if I was ever to get one, this would be it.   
  • M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    I'm loving the branding idea image
  • Tee hee bos , cant see anyone getting the tat then not being able to back it up , all the results are easily accessed online , you cant bluff it !

Smiffy I prefer as Stephen Crane's Civil war book title , the little red badge of courage

• Or pink in Oxy's case image
  • Imeccentric wrote (see)

Tee hee bos , cant see anyone getting the tat then not being able to back it up , all the results are easily accessed online , you cant bluff it !

A certain person over on Tripetalk does that all the time, claims to have done many races including several Lanzarotes and strangley enough is on no results!!

Even if you search his 'original' name which he had to change because the Mafia was after himimage

• Thats extraordinary cant believe anyone would be that dumb , its one of the things I like best about the sport , I'm slow and cool with it , but as the record shows I am re-effinlentless , though not as much as Oxy , he's like a tubby little duracell wabbit !
  • Rosey - has a good one, with the flags of some of the ones hes done round the the IM,

I will be getting one after IMUK, probably on back of left Calf to correspond with the Disney marathon one I have on the right leg or may get it on the inside of my arm.

Have also seen on like a tribal band for upper arm, a swimmer, a cyclist, then runner with 140.6 underneath

Cross regarding Rosey's tattoo due to Bloody server issues!!!!

• bos1 wrote (see)

So what Ironman should do is have proper branding of finishers.  Every finisher would be roped by Ironman cowboys who apply hot irons which brands the IM logo into the finisher's skin.  That way everyone knows the tattoo is genuine.
    LOL, can just see people being rounded up and tattooed in state of shock and dehydration!!!image
    Imeccentric wrote (see)

Also last year at washington Marine Corps MAra I was dying on my arse at 22 miles (usual) and some bloke in the crowd shouts come on Ironman pick it up and it really made a big difference. Im happy I had it done brand issues aside , but its a personal choice.

Go on AL ;0)

Aahh see that just makes me want to have one. I think with someone shouting out something like that would really spur me on in whatever event I'm doing and probably take away momentarily some pain.image

• Damn you AL!image

I had this dilema after Lanza a few years back - and never got around to it.

Then the same question raised its head after Nice last year, and I convin ced myself that if I was going to get one I'd have done it after the first.

I'm not even doing an IM this year and yet you've got me thinking about whether I should get it done anyway!!

• i'll come with you JP when i get round IMUK - no tatts at moment though - but as said earlier - when you see the subtle mark - your perception changes about the wearer - good effort is my first thought.

maybe ankle area , though im a pussy where needles are concerned....that reminds me im off to the dddd dentists soon...

• Gertie wrote (see)
    I keep thinking about it, but then I start thinking about what my Mum would sayimage
    Don't be such a girl Gertie. imageimage
  • GertieGertie ✭✭✭

lol

Isn't it past your curfew?

• Well, I think they are cool, if kept reasonably discreet.

And if I ever actually get round to making it to the start line/finish line, I will get one done, discreetly. But where do you go? Local tattoo shop with your grubby training top and say I want that on my arm/leg?

• JPenno wrote (see)

Rosey - has a good one, with the flags of some of the ones hes done round the the IM,

I will be getting one after IMUK, probably on back of left Calf to correspond with the Disney marathon one I have on the right leg or may get it on the inside of my arm.

Have also seen on like a tribal band for upper arm, a swimmer, a cyclist, then runner with 140.6 underneath

Cross regarding Rosey's tattoo due to Bloody server issues!!!!

That should say cross post, not cross regarding rosey's tattoo, BT internet playing up image
  • * applies for job of Ironman cowboy and runs around the forum waving red hot branding poker *

ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

muhaha.... 

• Dad Of Two wrote (see)

Damn you AL!image

I had this dilema after Lanza a few years back - and never got around to it.

Then the same question raised its head after Nice last year, and I convin ced myself that if I was going to get one I'd have done it after the first.

I'm not even doing an IM this year and yet you've got me thinking about whether I should get it done anyway!!

Do2image hello! Right you have to get one now!

So as well as IM virgins, we have tattoo virgins as well.

• I don't have any tatoos but if I get around IMCH I will have the M.   image