First 10k on Sunday

I have my first 10k on Sunday, which I'm aiming to complete in less than an hour. The only thing is that I'm not sure whether I should go out tomorrow for a run or not. I've kept the mileage quite light this week and have done:

Mon - 5.5km
Tue - Speedwork
Wed - Cross training
Fri - 7.5km

Normally, I do cross-training on a Saturday morning in the form of Body Pump & then Body Max (cardio/step/fitball/weights), but it's been cancelled and I'm wondering whether I should go for a run. I'm more than capable of the distance so I'm not too worried about that. 

Any advice?
Thanks in advance image

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    I'd do nothing! Enjoy Sunday!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • I had my first 10km last Sunday, I did nothing on the Saturday. I just sat around chilling and I was well up for it on the Sunday and had a fantastic day.

i think you will surprise yourself on the day, enjoy! image

• Chill out, get hydrated, defintely no housework image
  • Well, I think that's a consensus!

Thanks guys. I'll put my feet up, relax and watch the GP Qualifying then image

• Speed work does exactly that. It works on your speed and helps you get faster once you've mastered distance. People do it in different ways, but we warmed up with 10 mins jogging then ran 400metre circuits at a pace much faster than our normal pace. We then had a 2 minute recovery which could be either static or jogging and did the 400 metre circuit again. Repeated it about 6 times and then jogged for 10 minutes to cool down. I don't particularly enjoy it, but it does seem to make a difference.

• I have a 10k tomorrow and have just done a 2k slow jog and plenty of stretching today.

Roll on tomorrow....  image

Lostkat, where your race? I'm doing the Two Castles 10k from Leamington to Warwick Castle. Just hope it stops raining !

• Ahh someone from my running club is doing that one -sounds like a really scenic route. I'm doing the Swithland 10k in Leicestershire, which is very local to me.

I don't mind the rain so much as the wind, and it's blowing a gale at the moment. Not going to be a pleasant run in that. Ah well image

• It WAS raining and I DID get drenched, but had a great time anyway, although I dont think the missus is very happy that my soaking wet Asics GT-2140's are now ponging out our kitchen!
  • Well done image

Thunder, lightning, hail & torrential rain... I had a fantastic day and loved the race. Got a time that I'm really pleased with and my trainers are now sat under the radiator slowly drying out. We all got embroidered towels as prizes, which was very thoughtful of them image I did discover one thing though - I am less likely to get blisters if I have thoroughly saturated feet. Might have to start running through large puddles imageimage