Edinburgh marathoners past and present

Hi folks welcome to our new house.

Over the past 3 years we have probably naffed up the Edinburgh marathon forums for real runners.  Subjects such as crap days at work, marriage, pregnancy, divorce, football, morris dancing New Zealanders, the Apprentice, Big Brother, naked ramblers, the sound of music, pop idol, illness, depression, shoes, shopping, drink, cakes, more drink, trains, bikes with stabilisers, more cakes, chocolate, easter eggs, more chocolate, pizzas, curries, chinease take aways, children (not available in takeaway outlets), holidays, more crap at work etc etc may have detracted slightly in hindsight from the event itself.  As quite a few of us didn't run or in my case didn't get round who cares!!!!!!!!! image

This thread is intended to be a network where Edinburgh marathon runners past and present can get together and basically hang out of an evening (or whilst sciving at work).  Whilst reaching out to regular runners like smiffie, soph, amber, smout, Kiwi et al it also welcomes other newbees like Dippycat, Adie, Cavehill and Afresh who have joined us this year and we would miss if they didn't keep in touch.  We also love to keep in touch with folk like Bungee and KarenD who have done Edinburgh in the past and moved onto other marathons elsewhere in the world or bigger, smaller, better, more personal or in the case of Mrs D weirdly different challenges that seem rediculously long and unentertaining to the rest of us.  Oh and bedhspaped too who some horrific illness and/or injury befalls her year after year to prevent her running!!!!!!

I've made some really good friends via this forum for the last 3 years and I'd hate to lose touch with you all (the feeling is probably not mutual image) although some may find me harder to get rid of than others imageimage

This thread is the runners world equivalent of cheers.  Everybody knows your name and we are always glad you came!!!!!!! Come in, make yourself at home and I hope to see you all soon. imageimageimage

Comments

• The cake thing will be my fault then..... I'm still baking away quite happily and drinking my pineapple juice (told you it worked!). Edinburgh 2007 was my one and only marathon so far. Signed up for Dublin in October! image
  • mmmmmmmmm thanks Can33 i think i might pop in from time to time (most days then) and see whos doing what!!!!

will we set ourselves a target of 10000+ messages before next years race, though that should be easy!!!!!

• I've made it over from the other side.

First thing I have to sayis that I'm not sure what all the fuss is about England losing the cricket. Holland have produced some great players over the years e.g. Cruyff, Rep , Van Basten.  No shame in losing to them !!!

• Hey Can ace idea, think the naughty step might need a bit of refurbishment though, was it not curry kiwi who was in there last imageimage so what race am I gonna have the pleasure of seeing you at next, Milnathort Dash? Is that the one with the bloody big hill at the start? image And yeh life running or not running is better having all you mad lot in it imageimage 

Hi KP long time no see, so you'll be training for Dublin and a load of us will be training for Loch Ness in Oct image Need to track done J Rex and see if she is doing Dublin aswell?

Adie we should def hit the 10000 lol

Housework, paperwork, dog walking and a run planned for today! Hubby at work so once I get off here, will get going lol

Enjoy your Saturdays all x

• Hey Foxy I don't do the cricket thing so all is lost on me!!! When I was a lot younger image  I used to like David Gower, that's been the extent of my interest lol

• Ahh... that's better. Can I have a giant bean bag installed to support my expanding self imageimage

Who's doing Brig Brash 5 on 1st July ???? I hope to image

I've had pudding for my second breakfast - is that bad even if it was the pudding I didn;t eat after dinner last night? Was a lovely chocolate moussey type thing!
  • Sorry Bungee ! The Dutch are not partuiculary well known for their cricket (until now) so I threw in the names of a few footballers instead image.
  • LOL at bean bag Smout, you'll not get up!

New home image

• It didn't take some of you long to find the new house. We dont just have a bean bag for you smout we have got one of those super delux birthing pools James advertised on the apprentice.  You know the one with the drinks holder and ashtray lol

Brig Bash and Milnathort dash are on the callender and work permitting I will hopefully get to both.  At the very worst I'll get to the brig bash because its a bit closer to Dundee and had a bigger array of cakes at the finish.  Against my probably better judgement I've also entered the dundee half in a fortnights time.  I'm playing with the idea of running a 10k in Arbroath tomorrow.  I think I've only ran one 10k in over a year so may be nice.  I went to the pub last night instead of tonight just in case I fancy it image

Lovely to see the Kiora Plodder popping into play. Hope you have been fit and well image

• It feels like home now (((((((((((smiffie's)))))))))) here image
  • hello, Can, I dont get how this automatically ended up as my bookmark without me saying I wanted it!!!!

• LOL Can thanks - I;m sure Mr Bailey will really appreciate that image

Me too Hellen - I was a tad confused!
  • Neither do I hellen.  Obviously your computer wanted to come to play even if you didn't!!!!!!  Dont worry I've not started hacking into computers or anything in addition to stalking smiffie.  image
  • ha ha I was wondering that too!!!!!! Thought you knew something we didn't Can lol

Just back from sunny doggie walk and now looks like it is going to pour!! Checked weather and the sun is meant to come back out by 4pm so its run time then instead of now. 

I'm doing both the Dash and the Bash image I love the Bash, its such a nice run on a summers evening image 

Hi girls good to see ya image lol at the birthing pool Can. Bean bag sounds a good idea Smout for the expanding baby belly image

Away to make food now that I'm not running till later now image  

• I did Edinburgh 2006. May I join you all? image
  • The more the merrier Vixx hope you are fit and well.  Just one wee question though where the hell have you been all this time? image

If Bungee says the sun is coming out at 4pm we will have a house warming barbecue on the roof terrace of this swanky new penthouse.  Its no a bad wee pad is it folks image

• I think one of those pesky moderators at runners world must have been fiddling with my links to go to the bookmark place.  It wasn't doing that when I went to my bed last night image

Just to disappear totally off topic when is fathers day?  Cant be arsed going into town to buy a pressie but would have to if its tomorrow.  It must be pretty soon.

• Its 21st Can image

Hi Vixx course you can join us image so you did Edin in the HOT year image with the uphill finish!!! A lot of folk still like that route better even with the uphill end madness lol I was spectating that year. I ran in 07 & 08 and then decided I definately don't like the existing route! I'll never say never but at the minute spectating Edin will do!! Am looking forward to Loch Ness now image

Just made and now eating a big bowl of red thai prawn curry with jasmine rice image So by the time this goes down I'll be ready for my run image

• I never said I like the climb I like the 1st 22 miles better!!!!!!!

Old route until portobello, dont do u-turn and head back to hollyrood and continue straight ahead to musselburgh race course.  Best of both worlds.  Fast course, sees more of edinburgh, should be downwind for most of it (although hasn't happened for the last 3 years bizarrely) and a good finish at the racecourse. Win win situation.

• I thought you were going to give me jasmine's phone number bungee image
  • Kiwi be afraid be very afraid the balance of power is shifting and your boys are taking a hell of a beating.  Scotland and Holland are the new forces of world cricket lol image
  • maybe bowling and fielding is still needs a bit of work image  I did laugh at the fat bloke dropping the catch and hoofing it 30 yards in front of him for 4 that was comically bad. image
  • Hiya.

Found the new place.  Very nice too image

Went for a short run last night and it HURT!  My legs suddenly turned to lead after a mile.  Managed about 5 in the end.  Did 5k on dreadmill at the gym this morning as it was chucking it down here.  Much easier than last night!

Off out on the town tonight for Edinburgh, London and Ironman celebrations.  Risking the high heels and hoping my leggies are up for it!

Have a good day everyone.

• Oooh it's quite nice in here image Thanks for the welcome Caniggia and glad that as a non-Embra marathoner I can stay here too image  I'm making a policy of no more illness or injury so one day.......maybe image

I did bring a moving in gift. I hope you all like it. 

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/452793/2/istockphoto_452793-house-plant-pothos.jpg

So on the subject of Embra, I think we should come up with our own route and propose it to the organisers.

Well done Dippycat on the runs. Hope the high heels don't finish you off image

Enjoy your run Bungee image

Hiya everyone - cricket tho?? C'mon......image

• Thanks for the cannabis plant Bedshaped.  Just because holland were playing cricket it doesn't mean you can bring illegal drugs into our new place.

I told you it was the best house ever.  Have you seen our new custom built naughty step it should keep me, Kiwi and DCB amused for hours when we are shunned by the rest of you image

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/images/tutorials/Nintendo/PT-Nintendo.jpg

Have fun tonight dippycat. image

• Oh, liking the new hoose. Hello. My names Karen and i'm bonkersimage.
  • Hiya karen help yourself to beer and blackforest gateaux. image  Should you not be having a 500 mile training run or are you tapering????
  • Football coming on soon.  Come on Khazakstan!!!!!!

http://www.informationarchitects.jp/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/borat3_wideweb__470x303,0.jpg

• Not keen on blackforest Caniggia but i'll have a beerimage. Yeah kinda taper for me, might go do a nice long training run tomorrow though. Taperings for big girlies.
  • Hi Bungee! Yes, Dublin is calling! Never been there. Going with my mum, her friend and my sister. Can see a bit of liquid carb loading happening image. Haven't been too well the last year, so just getting back into things...

An arbroath 10K? Is it entry on the day? Might do that one.