Edinburgh marathoners past and present

Comments

• Hi everyone.  

Hope Smout got on okay with her midwife appointment.  Bedhspaed - you say 3 is enough time - once is definitely enough for me! 

Bungee - how's your daughter doing?

The Ripley race is the one I suggested some of you might like to venture south for.  Have you entered for this year yet SCharm?  Got mine in early - I will need that chocolate by November!

A lady who works at Up and Running in Leeds was telling me that Harrogate Harriers have a good juniors section which my daughter would like, but living in the other side of Leeds, it would take too long to get there image.

The children at school are all fired up about triathlon today after my friends came in to talk to them about Ironman this morning.  We are having a healthy week at school this week.  Well, the children are anyway!  The staff seem to have been eating carrot cake and cookies and a glass of fizzy wine to toast our cook's daughter being born safely today...

• Hi Dippycat - yes I have entered Ripley, don't want to miss it as its one of my fav races (and not just because of the chocolate!)
  • Dippycat - I might be biased (as I am Harrogate Harriers club secretary) but yes, we do have a good juniors section so if you do find you can get over this way I can definitely recommend it!I didnt know GF10 entries were open - better get my entry in.
  • Triple S www.justgiving.co.uk/sophster wrote

isn't creosote banned????  I used to love the smell of that stuff. image

Soph that may not be the best way to preserve those lungs of yours image

Adie see here, for the front two pens proof of performance is needed. From 3hr 30min down prediction is all that is needed.  I started in blue (predicted 3:30 to 3:15) and ran 3:20 but would get further forward if at all possible next time.  I need that elusive 3:15 in Berlin !!!

• Cheers have been on marathonparis page to see if entries open i think it will be sept time though
  • might to GF10 not done sine '07 and ran 80mins so would be hoping to take some time off of that. For any Yorks runners can i suggest Selby Striders Wistow 10m it will be the first year of it following the demise of our Half, link below, it will be flat and fast but friendly, ask for more details

http://www.selbystriders.org.uk/

• i will need 3:15 in Abingdon then DCB should be on unless its 25+degrees again......
  • Hello all!

Wow, 10 pages in already and I've only just found this thread image  Well done Can on creating it!  Great idea image

It seems I missed Smout's big news - congratulations!!! imageimageimage

I hope you all had a fab time doing Edinburgh - I didn't get back onto the thread to say hi.

Bungee - my plan is to do Dublin in October, but  I'm injured at the moment and have a physio appointment tomorrow night.  Given I should really be starting marathon training again next week, I will need to wait and see if I can before I decide to enter.  I have a feeling my marathon days may be over.

No news really, and no running either image

• Hey Jac, what have you done to yourself Mrs.??  Never say never about marathons.
  • Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Hurrah, I'm back after a prob with my account!image 

Haven't time to read this thread properly, but seems like a jolly old idea for people to have a good old wag of the chins! I've yet to meet any of the people on here, but always enjoy the banter. Having said that, I do know that Smout gave me an encouraging cheer towards the end of the Edi ½ mara - and on the subject of the Smoutster - BIG CONGRATS on yer news, haven't been able to say so due to probs accessing the forums.

All best to everybody.

NM (off for 1st run tonight since Edinburgh 26mile torture last week!)

• Soph, I have no idea!!!  I think I maybe posted a while back about a pain in my foot that went up my leg in an odd kind of fashion?  Well, it's still there and has got worse.  Probably not helped by me doing the Belfast marathon on very little training and a longest run of 13.1 miles image  The pain is on the outside underneath my foot just on the opposite side of the arch.  It runs up my ankle, into the back of my calf, up the outside of my knee, into my hamstring/adductor and then my hip.  It's worse now though as I feel it up my back and into my shoulder and neck.  Any ideas?  Fizz will tell me tomorrow but you asked.....!

Contemplating going to the gym now, but also very tempted just to veg!

Welcome back NM!

• Evening all,

Finally made it out for a run today, first since Edinburgh, 7 miles steady, found it tough going but I'm hoping it will get easier over the next week or two.

I hope everyone's running is getting back to normal after the hot 26 miles.

• Ran 7.33 with old workmate today, had to go faster as didn't want to hold him back. 

Was a little mean though and chose route with some good hills image 7.33 miles ave 7:39mm pleased with that.  Was struggling to run 4 miles at 8:30mm on dreadmill image

Got to get tip top for Berlin image

• Aw (((((Jac))))) really hope you get sorted an haven;t actually damaged a bone in there or something image I really have no idea and will be very interested in what fizz comes up with. I agree with Soph tho - never say never image

Thanks folks image Midwifey appointment went fine. Dunno what I was worrying about. She seemed really nice an didn't scare or intimidate me image Stole some blood wee an checked my blood pressure which was apparently normal (I;m glad - I'd cycled there and thought I might get told off LOL!)

I;m feeling good today although a little more tired than yesterday but 2 days in a row cycled to an from work (plus the trip to the midwife and back). Tis only about 12 miles in total but it's something image Also 2 days in a row I haven;t fallen asleep after work! Was gonna run tonight but decided against it and will see how I feel tomorrow night!

I still keep laughing at the thought of Bedshaped hiding in the bushes - it was fabulous to see you then! Although you did look a little confused when I started yelling what time is it LOL

Thanks Neil M - I can't quite remember now imageimage Is there a photo of you somewhere I can remind myself!

Ooo - I;ve forgotten what else I read... well other than that mad speedy Smifffie woman - look out Berlin (and any other target that may be there image )

• Xan Are you chinese?

Bedshaped ,If we come to an agreement.IF YOU DO THE EDINBURGH MARATHON I WILL HAVE A PHAL,the night after the race with my friends from Lockerbie.DEAL!! GET TRAINING GIRL!!!!!!!!!.

• Evening guys,

Jac my dear, sounds like you've damaged a tendon in your foot.  But, because you are a pig-headed Scot who has continued running, you have then run awkwardly and fooked practically everything in your leg and this has then worked it's way up into your back from all the awkward movements.  I really hope the physio gets you on the right track and you are to do what you're told. image

Glad the appointment went well Smout, had a wee chuckle about you cycling there.

I met Flos off Fetch this eve for a wee run down at the park.  I came straight from work, so had my work backpack on for the whole 5.5miles.  It was really hard work, but we were faster than a lot of the girls round the park even dragging half my body weight on my back.  LoL.  Great training though huh.  Totally bushed now....

• Hiya Jac sorry to hear about your injury. Hope the fizz sorts you out. How's life in sunny NI these days?

Great run Soph - well done you, Flos and your backpack image

Kiwis, we'll see what they come up with for next year then and that might just be a goer image

5 miles for me too tonight. I've done more mileage this week already than the whole of last week put together!!!

Glad you got on okay with the non scary midwife Smout image Careful on that bike now!!!!

SCHarm that does sound like an interesting race with all the chocolate goodies at the end - yuuuuum image

Hey everyone else. Been to a West Highland Way meeting tonight so only just had my dinner!! Now feeling sick as I scoffed it so quick image  and now I'm thinking chips and potato salad is a strange combination?

• Morning, get better soon Jac. Yup dodgy combo bedshapedimage

• Morning!!!!

image I'll be careful!

Ooo how many sleeps now Mum??? You sorted your carb loading bedshaped????

Must dash Ciao

• 9 and one nap my child with childimage
  • Morning all, JAC hope you get your injury sorted soon, does sound rather nasty. 

I was out on the road last night for the first time since Edinburgh, did 3 miles and felt ok, need to keep it easy at the moment as left foot still sore and I dont want to pick up any injuries before the 1/2 at the beginning of July.  Its good to be back out there though I was going a bit stir crazy after only a week of recovery!!!!

• howdo housemates!!

Raced last night just inside 41mins for a 10k, tried to run quicker but nothing in the legs, tough course but wanted closer to 40mins, back to training now and time to plan some races, also i guess i should stop the reward eating post maathon!!!

How are we all today? 

• kiwi, jerry,

hi, sorry its Dave, the drunken hogweed from Riga, im desperate for your training tips, what was the name of that book you mentioned?, sorry about the delay in contacting you, but my laptop at home has died on me and is being repaired.

Thanks mate

• Well done Adie - that's great so soon after the marathon too image

Afternoon all image

• Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭
    Smout wrote (see)
    Aw (((((Jac))))) really hope you get sorted an haven;t actually damaged a bone in there or something image I really have no idea and will be very interested in what fizz comes up with. I agree with Soph tho - never say never image Thanks folks image Midwifey appointment went fine. Dunno what I was worrying about. She seemed really nice an didn't scare or intimidate me image Stole some blood wee an checked my blood pressure which was apparently normal (I;m glad - I'd cycled there and thought I might get told off LOL!) I;m feeling good today although a little more tired than yesterday but 2 days in a row cycled to an from work (plus the trip to the midwife and back). Tis only about 12 miles in total but it's something image Also 2 days in a row I haven;t fallen asleep after work! Was gonna run tonight but decided against it and will see how I feel tomorrow night! I still keep laughing at the thought of Bedshaped hiding in the bushes - it was fabulous to see you then! Although you did look a little confused when I started yelling what time is it LOL Thanks Neil M - I can't quite remember now imageimage Is there a photo of you somewhere I can remind myself! Ooo - I;ve forgotten what else I read... well other than that mad speedy Smifffie woman - look out Berlin (and any other target that may be there image ) image

No, it was just I recognised you from your avatar photo and when I ran past you gave me a shout, I managed a weak 'Thanks', but was knackered near the end so you prob never heard me croak it out.

I'm back in the game running wise, did ½ an hour last night - not long till i start getting al serious again as I'm signed up for Amsterdam mara in October!image

• I;m easily confused imageimage

Well folks, bag to being tired again LOL. 2 days of not feeling tired after my lunch, the third in a row was too much to ask!

Nevermind - still (carefully bedshaped) cycling the wee short jaunt to an from work image

Off for a walk along the road to Asda to try stop myself from falling asleep on the couch!

• Good evening peoples.

Lovely to see you tonight.  Missed you last night after I came home from work with one of the worst migraines I've ever had.  Not only could I not see I was losing the ability to speak properly and was slurring my words, stuttering and forgetting what things were called.  Not had many that bad before image

But I'm in finer fettle tonight and have just ran up a long steepish "h" word.  Its 2.8 miles to the top and amazingly 2.8 miles back down.  I almost successfully got all the way up without stopping until I was nearly sick at about the 2.7 miles.  I had to stop for a few seconds to allow my Toffee Crisp from earlier to regain its previous equilibrium and got to the top in 20:30 and after a gentleish 1/2 mile freewheel to recover a bit I then got to fly back down as quick as I could in 17:30.  I know its supposed to do you good but I still hate runs like that.  image Give me flatness or treadmills anyday.  On the upside it will soon be winter again and that road is in the countryside and has no lights on it so I only have to do it for another 3 months or soimage

Just got an e-mail from 2;09 events advertising their new trip to the Athens marathon.  I've booked 2 additional flights to and from heathrow, staying 2 extra nights and staying in a 4* hotel at a bargain price nearer the start than they are offering for £60 less than their 3 night tour tee hee hee. image Unfortunately for that trip a stalker doesn't come as standard imageimage