New York Marathon 2009

Comments

•                                                Goal                          Hotel (Dates)
    • NotCat                     3.10
    • Over the Hill            3.45                          Jersey City (29 - 1) at a friend's
    • Paul Ward              2:59:59
    • Steven S                 3:30
    • Stray Celt                3:30
    • Sue Osborne         3: 50                         The New Yorker
    • Tiptree                     3:45                          Big Apple Hostel (30 - 5)
    • Tony Hodge 6        3:30
    • Tortie T                    3:30                          Ramada, NJ (30 - 2)
    • Tri Bean                   4.00                         Mariott Brooklyn Bridge (28 - 2)
    • Tricia Hurst             3:59                          Crowne Plaza (28 - 3)
  • ta - it will just remind me that i am going and need to get to the airport later in the year ...
  • Apologies for my absence of late... I've been running over Dartmoor doncha know image

I must say...you guys are very well organised in here! Not a bit like our Boston thread eh L'a image

• Trin

Some chief motivator and cheer-leader you are. Of course it's organised: didn'tyasee who started it?

Delighted to hear you are still chasing the beast of Bodmin. Run strong, Trin.

If you still have a US Boston Website password and fancy it, please see L'ardvark's LONG 10k race report

Sorry about the formating. It won't let me change it!

• Fantastic report... LOL! at the guy on the corner... you have to find out who it is!! I want to know now!

Superb time too... I wish!

I don't want to take this thread off topic but as we're talking about other races briefly... can I just take a moment of your time and mention the number 43 image

That's how many minutes I took off my PB at the Dartmoor Discovery Ultra last Saturday image
    32.4 miles of big hills, finished in 4.52, 5th lady and 2nd LV45 image (one minute behind the prize for 4th lady! ...should've run faster image )

Anyway... back on topic

How's training going for you guys...still loads of time so at this stage it's building blocks in readiness for the big long stuff. If you've got a good solid foundation of building blocks in place you're much less likely to get injured when you're packing the big miles in.

Ra raa *shakes pom poms vigorously* imageimage

• Great race report L'ardvark, I dont know how you remember it all to put down, I start, hurt a bit and finish.

I will try and expand this when I report back on Wargrave on Sunday.

Trin- thanks for the continued great support and also your great race report, 32.4 miles of hills!  That's some going.

• Trin. You see what happens to your times when you concentrate on the shorter races? Hardly even an ultra for you. Great job, though. *Shakes pom pom as vigorously as he can with a really sore back*

Hudds Dave. When I was sharing the excitment of race report after race report with my wife following the Boston Marathon, she synthesized them with, "I ran and ran and then I stopped. It was hard." Pretty much sums it up, hey?

• Hi everone,

I plan to do this with my wife, my first and probably only marathon.

Carol did it in 2005 and was keen to have another weekend in NY.

Looking forward to hearing how everyones' training goes.      

Goal                          Hotel (Dates)

• Over the Hill            3.45                          Jersey City (29 - 1) at a friend's
    • Tiptree                     3:45                          Big Apple Hostel (30 - 5)
    • Tri Bean                   4.00                         Mariott Brooklyn Bridge (28 - 2)
    • gas-man                 3:45                          Library Hotel (29-3)
    • mrs gas-man         4:45                                     "
  • L'a... have you only got one pom pom then? image You mind how you go with that back image

• Trin  - how's your leg? Top performance at Dartmoor.

I'm on easy list down to around 25 per week but doing a few 10ks - Did the Blaydon Race this week 1.50 faster than last year so feeling very chuffed having got my highest ever WAVA!!

Have not booked flights or hotel yet - they are not getting dearer and still waiting to decide how many of family going. Mrs NotCat & I going to Glastonbury without the NotKittens and will decide after then. 

• Leg so far so good thanks NC image Fingers crossed....

Well done for your 10k result! I'm racing a Fetch mile tomorrow...hmmm that's gonna be interesting! Current PB 5.54, which I got one week after a marathon. Could I PB one week after an ultra? image

Weeks to go to NY marathon.... 20 image

•                                                Goal                          Hotel (Dates)

• Champagne          3:30                          Rented accommodation Brooklyn (25-1)
    • Chowster                3.59.59
    • Dave101                 3:50                          Novotel Times Square, Midtown (29-4)
    • DeejP                      3.10
    • Djwolf                      3:29                          Crowne Plaza (with Mrs Wolf)
    • Gary Jones             2:44
    • Gas-man                3:45                          Library Hotel (29-  3)
    • Gas-man (Mrs.)     4:45                          Library Hotel (29-  3)    
    • Hudds Dave           3:50                          Eastgate Tower Hotel, Midtown (30-3)
    • Kam                         4.15                          Milford Plaza (29 - 4)
    • Kiwidave                 3:29                          The Marcel at Gramercy (30 - 2)
    • Iain Harrison          2:55
    • L’ardvark                 3:05                          Ramada, NJ (29 - 2)
    • Mittybob                   3.59                          Grand Hyatt (30 - 3)
  • Gas-man and Mrs. Gas-man. WELCOME. Thanks for entreing the details. Sorry my OCD got the better of me and I couldn't stop myself putting you into alphabetical order.

Trin. Re: Pom pom(s): You remember that discussion way back on the Boston thread about the benefits of losing all superfluous weight...?

Mittybob. You've changed pans, but I made sure to keep you.

NotCat. Many congratulations on your improved time. Hippy.

• Ah yes L'a... the toes image

I raced a track mile today... new PB 5.49. How on earth do the elites keep that pace or faster up for 26 miles?? image I nearly died!

• L'a - Hippy???? - I fought in the Punk Wars I'll have you know.

Trin - Well done young lass. It does put into perspective the pace of Paula et al

Gasman First and only marathon?!? - I predict that sometime in late November you may be thinking differently! We've all been there! 

• hi all.

first outing with the garmin today.after a few minutes you forget you have it onimage

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/7931/wristbu4.jpg  

• seriously though, debating with my miserable tightwad self wether to pay the £150 from amazon or get one off of ebay ,shipped over from america (10 days transit) for £110.

• Mittybob. That should have been "you've changed panes". Sorry!

NotCat. You'll be telling me that Hip-Hop Rapster-Rapstars headline at Glastonbury next.

Trin. Many contratulations on your mile PB. Excellent work. Trin vs. Bolt: I'd pay to see it. I know exactly what you mean about the speed, though. I saw the (incredibly even) 5k splits Gebrselassie did at Berlin last year - every one of them was just ridiculously faster than I could do a single 5k.

Gas-man. Listen well to what NotCat foretells, as he is sage and wise. (His powers of phrophesy may come comes from his kaftan days...)

Chowster. Fantastic jpg. Thanks for sharing. Good luck with your mental tussle.

Hudds Dave. I hope the race went well. I'm looking forward to your report.

• L'ardvark

Here goes:-

I have run Wargrave a few times before and it is always a nice warm (hot) day. I don't mind the heat so much as it adds a great feel to the event for the spectators and the organisers.

There is a bit of a hill at 3k to about 4k that stops any real PB on the course, but it is a really lovely run down country lanes with lots of great support from the locals and marshals.

I did think about your comments of running behind a nice lady with a nice bottom, however, all I got for the second half of the race was a guy about 60 with bad legs. I manged to get ahead of him but only just!

I manged 49:01 which is my best on this course and not far of my PB of 47:50 so I am quite pleased on my form.  I would recommend this run to anybody as it is always good value with a nice T-shirt.

Sorry L'ardvark. not much better than, I run, hurt a bit and finish.

• Hello all, hope everyone had a good weekend?

I decided to be a bit adventurous on my long run today and got dropped off at the start of one the legs of a 60 mile circular route of footpaths that surround Leeds. Each year a local running club stage a relay of the route so directions are available on their website. Armed with these and a OS map I set off and managed to find my way almost without mishap to the relay changeover point 11.5 miles later. I only took one wrong turn but due to having to stop and read the directions (and consult the map whenever they were unclear) I reckon that for every 60 seconds of running I had to pause for 30 seconds.

I hadn't really planned it that well as when I got the end of the leg I reaslised that my vague thought of having a another couple of miles to get home was actually closer to 6 miles. Not a problem but way further than I'd intended to run today. Anyway, despite drinking loads I was really thirsty at this point and had run out of water so stopped off at a petrol station a couple of miles further on and gulped down a pint of cold delicious milk. End result was crippling stitch. I literally couldn't run a step and ended up calling home (reverse charge, ouch) and getting my husband to pick me up. Never had to do that  before. Total of 13.5 miles run, actual running time just over 2 hours but I was out for almost 3 when including all the stops. Shan't be drinking milk during a run again. image

• TortieT sorry to hear your good run ended that way - ugh

Ran at the Man v Horse race yesterday as part of a 3 relay team. Very hilly, very hot and very wet underfoot. Got stuck in a bog at one point up to my knees, had to crawl my way out - very lucky not to lose my trainers! image Don't think they are ever going to recover!!

• This links to a very useful spreadsheet compiled by someone with way too much time on their hands. Contains info on elevation, pacing (+ pace band maker complete with Blue Peter instructions), maps of start and finish and course. Courtesy of someone on the US RW. 

http://www.box.net/shared/ec0vyk6iah

It's nice to know that the biggest hill has only a 5.7% gradient.

• LOL at Trin vs Bolt!

I'd get a good view of his rear as he disappeared into the distance image

Some good running going on in here... including Tortie. Despite how it felt it was time on your feet, and good 'foundation block' training. But you're right, I can't say milk is one of the best substances to drink while out running image

I'm assuming your marathon training schedules will be starting in the next few weeks?

*pom poms at the ready* image

• Hudds Dave. Don't be so hard on yourself! I enjoyed your race report. Thanks for sharing. And congrats on obviously being on fine form. Long may that continue.

Tortie T. Sounds like a lot of "learning experience" there! Sounds like the run/orientation was great (and I think there is a lot to be gained from having frequent stop-starts in some runs), but being clear how to get home at the end seems like an important lesson learned. I doubt you would have used milk as a sprts drink again anyway!

Tortie T (again). If you ever want to find Greg's spreadsheet easily again, it is in the very first post of this forum discussion!

Tricia. I'm jealous that you've done Man vs. Horse. That's definitely on my to-do list. The trainers have no need to recover: they will wear their scars with pride.

I will share my running news when I have some. 5 days off with my back - so far.... Still finding even sitting painful. Getting quite bad-tempered.

• Mrs gas-man here panicking about no running last week after 5 days of hedonism in Italy but come back with dodgy tum now..............start line seems a long way off at this pointimage
  • I've started training as I will need it !!  I thought I would get a bit techinical on this so I got myslef a HR monitor and used it yesterday on the treadmill - talk about scary - I did a varying pace (4 mins @ 10k, 4 @11, 4 @12, 8@13, 8 @12, 8 @ 11 followed by 5 min cooling down and then 1k in 5 mins) and my avergae HR was 158 (my top is 180) so I spent most of that time at the top of the range so it would appear that I need to slow down.  I need to do a bit of reading and planning on how best to use the tool but it is thought provoking !!!

As this is my first marathon I have the RW schedule for 3.5 to 4 hours finish so I am going to use that as a guide and just stretch it out a bit.

One big question is what shirt design to wear to get me on the big TV screens ??

• L'a... sorry to hear about your back image Try not to stress about it though because the tension will only add to the problem... chill.... relaaaaax.... *massages shoulders* loosen up, but try to keep it mobile... gently.

Trust me I'm a sports masseur image

Mrs gas-man... don't panic!! A week off will do you no harm, especially as the Start line actually IS a long way off!

I dunno... you guys.... stop stressing... there's 19 weeks and 4 days of training time yet image

*lights calming incense*

• hi all

off out to top up my sunburn tonight on an 11 mile run.

TORTIE T- really liked the spreadsheat download. i was just about to make up something similar imageimage

LARDVARK- hope the back pain clears up soon.

bit the bullet and ordered the garmin 305  todayimage