Weight Loss

Hi

I have been running for around 5 years now.Over that time I have lost 3 Stone which is great.

I am 6"3" and I was 18 Stone.I am now 15 St lb.

The problem I have is the dreaded love handles at my waist.They are not huge but they are sadly there.

It doesn't cause me any grief with my running,but I was wondering if anyone can suggest a good exercise for me to reduce the handles.

Thanks

Ian

Comments

• well done on your weight loss ian; a cracking job.

i'm not a professional but I reckon any sort of core strength exercises eg swiss ball or basic sit ups might help.  yoga and pilates are also great for toning.

keep up the good work.

• Ian.... how about a plastic hoop and then do the hula hoop....

(Like you used to see in school playgrounds)

hula

• sheddysheddy ✭✭✭

Keep running!

Unfortunately, I doubt any specific exercises will help as it's just not possible to spot reduce fat, short of something very drastic like liposuction. Your genes will always decide where excess fat will be stored and it differs from person to person. Some people naturally store more around the stomach, some more around the under-arms, some more around the face etc. etc.Exercising the aea may help tone the muscle but it will do nothing to shift the fat on top of it.

The best way to get rid of the love handles is to keep doing what you've been doing by running, which is using up more calories than you've been taking in, forcing the body to burn off the excess. Stick to a sensible, balanced diet and gradually up your running distances each week. If you don't already, you might want to consider adding in a cross training exercise, like swimming or cycling, as a way of burning more calories with less risk of injury (or boredom) by overdoing the running. 

• Thanks

The Wii has a hulahoop exercise so I will do that as well as Sheddy's advice

Thanks All

Ian