Sponsorship thread

Comments

• Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Firstly my story. 

I was widowed in November 2004 when my wife was run over and killed by a dangerous driver.  When the initial anger died down I decided to put myself to good use and helped set up a fund with a local charity.   The reason for choosing this charity is that my late wife's family had not had it good at all.

Her brother died from leukemia at the age of 5 years old, another brother was recently taken to hospital and it is thought he has cancer (aged 24).  Her Dad has been diagnosed with terminal cancer in the last few weeks as well.  

I'm running for a charity called Wishes4Kids.  They help  terminally ill and seriously disadvantaged kids live their final wishes.

It is a local charity that do not waste money on advertising and sending people pens in the post, they use the money to help people.

the link to my FLM page is www.justgiving.com/martinhulbert and if I raise more than £500 online (should get another £1,000 in the old fashioned way) then I will be painting myself purple for FLM this year (last year it was orange).

Thanks to all who help

• My Just Giving Web Page

Hi all,I am running the Great North Run in September of this year. I am running it in aid of The Mental Health Foundation. I think you will agree this is a very just cause to raise money for.The issue of mental health is greatly overlooked in our society and more should be done to better understand mental illness.Mental illness will effect 1 in 4 of us in our lifetimes. Even if we are not directly affected ther is a high probability that a family member or close friend will suffer with mental illness at some point.The support offered is amazing, mental health workers work difficult jobs. The Mental health Foundation puts money into research so we better understand mental illness, how to cope with it and how to treat it.The Mental Health Foundation also puts money in to helping children with learning difficulties. Again, another greatly underfunded area in this country, of paramount importance.Any donation would be greatly appreciated. I have setup a justgiving web page. All above board, all moeny goes directly to MHF. Gift Aid is automatically claimed also.Thanks for reading and I am hopeful that you can donate.ThanksLink to JustGiving web page...

[u][/u]

• Hi,

I just found this thread, so I thought I’d give it a go for my very good cause.

Event                – FLM.

My Charity       - Leukaemia Research.

Why                 - In a nut shell, My cousin was taken ill with Leukaemia in 1997 and after a long difficult battle, aided by people at Leukaemia Research she survived it, and has just celebrated her 40th birthday, so it’s my way of giving thanks.

Me                   - 47 yr old, 6’5”, 16st. (at start of training) ex. rugby union second row (not your average marathon runner), aiming for sub 3:30 hoping for sub 3:15

Why sponsor me?-

1)         Firstly and most importantly, Leukaemia Research is a very worthy charity.

2)         I’ve run 512 miles (to date)  training since the start of the year. Including 2x18mile (sub 2:30), 5x20 mile (all sub 2:45), 1x22 mile (sub 3:00) and a half in 1:28:15, I’ve worked hard!

3)         I’m not asking to pay for my golden bond, I have my own ballot place and am running for the charity because I believe in it!

To sponsor me please visit: www.justgiving.com/neil4lr

Thank you  image

• I'm participating in  a Lands End to John O Groats cycle in September of this year. Our aim is to raise £10,000 for Help for Heroes, a charity founded in 2007 to help injured servicemen and  women who have been injured on operations. Also Broughton House Charity who accommodate ex servicemen/women who are either too old, have a Chronic Illness or are unable to live on their own due to a disability. There are 6 of us cycling, all members of the army and all have served in Iraq and/or Aghanistan...Both these charities are very close to our hearts.

We are cycling 100 miles per day for 10 days = 1000 miles approx.

I don't want to play the 'feel sorry' for me card but I have personally lost 2 good friends whilst serving in Iraq in 2006...Both were members of the Royal Army Medical Corps

I am a keen runner and participate in races most Sundays (just like the rest of us!!) ..Check out my events ratings for clarification.

Anyhoo..If you can give even £1, this would be amazing and I thank you very much...The link to donate is as follows.....http://www.justgiving.com/208bikeride. Again, Thank you and feel free to add me to your facebook or email so i can show you photos etc of the cycle...

Regards...Mick Flaherty

• Dear Possible sponsors.I am running the Virgin London marathon for the first time in 2010 for a charity called Phab kids. Phab aims to promote and encourage people with and without physical disabilities to come together on equal terms, to achieve complete integration within the wider community and to make more of life together.With our help they fund and organise the Phabkids residential holidays for disabled and non disabled children. Phab also encourages and helps support self reliance in young people and helps to enhance their living skills and abilities. Phab celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2007 and with our future fundraising efforts they hope to be celebrating 50 more successful years.Phab is a national charity dedicated to the integration of people with and without physical disabilities in the community. With Lord Snowdon as Patron, Ed Stewart as President and Rolf Harris and Sir Cliff Richard as Vice Presidents, Phab has provided support and services for its members since 1957, enabling disabled people to enjoy the same opportunities and challenges as able-bodied and bring them together on equal terms.The reason I have chosen to run the marathon for Phabkids is that I have two excellent cousins who have grown up with autism and so I can understand some of the difficulties people with autism can face when integrating into the wider community.I have a long, exciting and maybe somewhat difficult time ahead in order to be ready for the marathon next year but I believe it will definitely be worth the effort. This will be my first attempt at a marathon and is a definite attempt to prove something to myself as well.Anyway any donations no matter how much can be made at www.justgiving.com/scottdavies.Donating through Justgiving is quick, easy and totally secure. It’s also the most efficient way to sponsor me: Phab gets your money faster and, if you’re a UK taxpayer, Justgiving makes sure 25% in Gift Aid, plus a 3% supplement, are added to your donation.Thanks for your supportScott Davies  
  • Hello

I am running the Torbay Half Marathon, June 21st 2009.

This is my first competitive half marathon (I'm 40 years old so probably a bit old to start doing this!) and I'm really looking forward to it.

Anyway, I figured that if I am going to run it then I might as well help others out at the same time, so I am raising money for Help for Heroes, a very worthwhile charity that raises money for badly injured servicemen.

I have a Just Giving page - http://www.justgiving.com/jimbutler1

Thanks for reading this post, and if you do feel like donating to this worthy cause please remember to apply the gift aid, at least the government will give something back!!

Good luck to everyone else for their fundraising endeavours, and also in the events they are taking part.

Jim
  •  Hello Everyone

On the July 12th I will be running in the British 10km race in London!  I hope to raise money for the Scoliosis Campaign Fund!

My 12 year old daughter has recently been diagnosed with scoliosis.

Scoliosis is defined as a lateral curvature of the spine, the presence of which is abnormal.  It can be disfiguring because when the spine bends to the side, the vertebrae become twisted and pull the ribs round with them, which sometimes form a  'bulge'  on the back !

There is no cure but treatment usually involves corrective surgery!  The psychological trauma some teenagers experience can have serious and long lasting effects.

All money raised will go towards providing vital support for those with scoliosis as well as funding resarch into the condition!

I have a fundraising page - mycharitypage.com/cinderella

Thank  you to everyone who has sponsored me or made a donation !

Maxine

• Hi all,

I am running the Great North Run in September and it will be the  third time this year. I am a bit nervous as I have had a knee injury and i am a bit worried that I will injure it again. I am currently running 10 miles for my long run and so far so good.
    This year I will be running for the HELP the HEROES charity as i feel these young soldiers are going through so much and nearly every day a soldier is injured or killed.
    My husband and I used to be in the army and we loved the life and I am so grateful that we did not have to go through what these soldiers have to go through now. I shudder when I hear the awful news about a soldier being killed or injured.
    Are there any runners on this forum who will run the GNR this year? It would be nice to hear from you.

Manny

PLease sponsor me on:
    www.justgiving.com./Manuela-Manny-Brazil

• I'm running the GSR (October 25 2009)  and I'm hoping to raise money for my local charity, the  Hampshire Autistic Society.

I have two boys, both of who have Asperger's Syndrome, a form of autism.

I'm running for the HAS simply because they have given us a huge amount of help since moving to Hampshire a few years ago when their condition was first diagnosed and I wanted to be able to repay this in some way.

I'd always assumed that they were part of the National Autistic Society, but they're not, so rely largely on local donations, hence my decision to support them.

If you'd like to make a donation - I'd be very grateful and appreciate your generosity.  A few forumites have already been generous enough to support the charity - so thanks, one and all.

Here's my page.

http://www.justgiving.com/Aspie-on-the-run

CJ 

• As some of you know I took up running about 3 years ago to help me lose weight and have had the running bug ever since! I have run a few local races but my ultimate goal is to run the London Marathon. 

After two unsuccessful ballot attempts I have now got a place in the Virgin London Marathon 2010!

26.2 miles is a long way!! and I want to make every mile I run count by raising some much needed money for charity.

Most of us in our lifetime have been or will be affected by cancer either directly or indirectly so I am hoping that the charity I have chosen is one that you can empathise with!

That charity is Macmillan Cancer Support.  For many people affected by cancer Macmillan nurses are a valued and trusted source of expert information, advice and emotional support!  There are over 3000 Macmillan nurses across the UK working both in hospitals and the community.

The services they offer are free of charge! But they cannot provide these vital services without people supporting them!

Click here and help me raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support!

Any donation big or small will be greatly appreciated and will make a real difference to people living with cancer!

Lisa

• Hi I am running the Bristol 10K with my wife in May 2010 and am raising money for COCO, an international children's charity set up by Steve Cram that tries to make a BIG difference to the lives of children affected by poverty, famine, war, illness and disease.

Even the smallest donation will make a difference to the lives of children in third world countries.  For example a donation of just £5 will feed one child a hot meal at lunchtime every day for a year in a school in Malawi.  So if 5 people were able to donate £1 each a child in Malawi would not go hungry today.

Here's my page:

http://www.justgiving.com/Alan-Lawrence1

Thanks, Alan

• Anyone that has got an entry for VLM but would like to raise money for charity PLEASE PLEASE can you help me.

I  need someone to run round with me 1) in costume 2) carrying a bucket (emptied every few miles) and 3) in no rush to finish (6-7 hours). MUST WANT TO HAVE FUN

Any offers?

See my website for details of my charity Advance International Ministries (building an orphanage in Uganda) www.pamstorey.co.uk

• I am running my very first half marathon in Bath on 7th March 2010, in aid of sos childrens villages, who will be helping orphans in Haiti.

If you would like to sponsor me please visit my just giving page http://www.justgiving.com/Natalie-Sandifer

Many Thanks

• I'll be running the Bath half on Sunday 7th March in aid of the Alzheimer's Society. http://www.alzheimers.org.uk

My Grandma is suffering from Dementia and now has very little short term memory (and the long term isn't that great either.  There's little I can do to help other than try to raise some cash for the society to help others in the future.

700,000 people in the UK suffers from dementia, and 1 in 3 people will die with it.

If you can spare any change my webpage is http://www.justgiving.com/neil-berrill

Many thanks for your time,

Neil

• I started running in January 2008 just before my Dad (Geoff) was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma - a type of bone marrow cancer.

Whilst my Dad battled the cancer I continued running and ran the Great North Run in 2008 to raise money for Myeloma UK, my Dad made the journey to Newcastle with my Mum and Liz (my Wife) to support me, it was a really good weekend.

In May 2009 my whole family - Mum (Carole), Brother (Ian), Sister (Jess), Wife (Liz) and Ian and Jess' partners Kath and Al all ran the Great Manchester run for Myeloma UK, this time the chemo was taking it's toll on my Dad and he wasn't well enough to come to Manchester to support us but we ran a good race, raised a lot of money and went back to Mum & Dad's for a post-race celebration.

Multiple Myeloma claimed my Dad's life in September 2009.

I'm running the 2010 London marathon memory of my Dad.  

Please follow my training progress via http://www.twitter.com/dostoy1024 and http://james.woodruffrunners.com/blog .

Thank you for your continued support.

James
  • I am running the London Marathon this year for The Children's Trust who provide care, support and treatment for children with multiple disabilities - and is based in Tadworth, Surrey.

I have a healthy 2 year old daughter for which I am eternally thankful and I think this is an excellent charity that I am delighted to support.

I last ran the London Marathon in 2000 aged 30 and now a decade later I have recovered enough to attempt the distance again...and hope to demonstrate that I have improved with age!

If you would like to make a donation however small I would be hugely grateful http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/GordonNewlands 

Thanks

Gordon

• Race JaseRace Jase ✭✭✭
    Last year my Dad was diagnosed with Parkinsons disease. Dad is one of the most brilliant  people one could ever wish to meet. He is kind, inspirational, wise, loving, smart, driven and ambitious. Simply put, Dad is my Hero. He has always been a very good sportsman, representing Great Britain at Masters Swimming and has even come back from World Masters Games with Medals! That is why I have chosen to support the Cure Parkinson's Trust in the hope that one day there will be a cure for people like my Dad who have given so much life to this World.

Parkinson’s disease affects every part of a person: mind, body and soul - but one medicine treats all three better than any other.

The medicine of which I am speaking is “Hope”.  Hope ignites a fire in the soul and rekindles the dying embers of ambition and purpose.  When you accept there is the chance no matter how small, that you are not doomed to a life borne out of your own nightmares, then you start to gather information and you start concentrating on what you can do, not what you can’t.

So what am I going to do to earn your support? Rather than doing an  'event' challenge such as a one off marathon. I thought it would be good to use the whole year as an event. 2010 will be the year that I attempt to run 2010 miles. This is roughly the distance from London to the town of Marathon in Greece. Obviously I will not be attempting to do it all in one go! But my running shall take in 3 marathons, 5 half marathons, 2 ten mile races and at least 2 10k races! Not to mention a huge amount of training. Roughly 39 miles per week!

The Cure Parkinson’s Trust is a patient led charity that funds research which will have an impact on the lives of people with Parkinson’s, with the hope of an eventual cure for the condition. The Cure Parkinson’s Trust was founded in 2005 with the clear goal of finding a cure for Parkinson’s disease by investing in under resourced and under funded projects that offer a real hope of a cure in the future. Its primary role is identifying, funding and evaluating research projects, as well as hosting scientific forums to bring together relevant scientists within the field, to discuss key areas of research and technology.

Please see Just Giving Page if you would like to help.

Thank You. image

• Hi there,

I'm running the London Marathon for Cruse Bereavement Care after they really helped my other half's family when his dad suddenly died last August. The full story is on my JustGiving page www.justgiving.com/oliviacollett 

• I'm running 10 marathons in 10 days (yes, really) to raise money for Brathay Hall. Brathay’s vision is of a society where children and young people realise their potential. Its purpose is to enable children and young people to make positive choices by taking personal responsibility for improving their well-being.

The training is absolutely killing me, and i'm running at least 1 marathon every weekend, 2 where I can to make sure I can do this.

http://www.justgiving.com/Heathers10in10days

• Hi everyone, I'm following AndyV (he's one of the super six's) progress on his VLM training. I only set up my justgiving site yesterday and Andy has already kindly donated -what a star!image I was following his training forum as I was planning a spring marathon, but now I have a greater motivation.

Last week I recieved the sad news that a close friend died suddenly from a heart attack aged 44. As well as being a loving husband and father he also did voluntary work as a 1st responder for the North West Ambulance service. So in memory of Barry I will be running Blackpool's full marathon on Sun 11apr raising funds for the North West Air Ambulance service. Any support both moral and financial will be greatfully recieved as it's a worthy cause. They need £3.5m each year just to maintain this great service. I've set up a justgiving website were people can donate, the link is:

[u]http://www.justgiving.com/simonwake62[/u]

Thanks again Simon image

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

HI All, doing marathon no 9 this year.. This year my grandaughter should have had her 10th birthday, she died in gt ormond street after an op for a congenital heart condition.  I am raising money for GOSH as I have done a couple of times before, in memory of Kacie.

They are all great causes, and I am often compelled to sponsor people on here so if this one touches you in any way, please sponsor me.

http://www.justgiving.com/Christina-Watson

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Hi Everyone,

I'll be running my first ever marathon next month (VLM) after getting into running about a year ago. I am running for Action Medical Research, because of their valuable contribution in tackling premature births and helping sick and vulnerable babies (I was also born very prematurely but thankfully made a full recovery).

A baby is born prematurely every 10 minutes in the UK, and the Action Medical Research Touching Tiny Lives Campaign aims to address this. (http://www.action.org.uk/ttl_appeal)

If you wish to support this charity please sponsor me

http://www.action.org.uk/sponsor/mattwaring

Thanks, Matt
  • I was lucky enough to get a VLM ballot place this year, so decided to do something worthwhile with it.

I'll be fundraising for MIND (the UK's leading mental health charity) and a local community leisure charity by running VLM, Three Forts and Windermere in April/May 2010.

I'm asking people to sponsor me here:

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/DebbieKennedy  

But as part of the deal I'd like donors to leave me an iPod track to run to also, which I'll be blogging about here:

http://www.purplepodplod.co.uk

The reason? I don't expect people to feel as strongly as I do about the causes I support, but sponsoring a stranger a small amount of money to run up a hill to a seriously awful piece of music is something the masochist in me thought others might find entertaining...Hope you agree.

I'll be giving away my iPod shuffle (full of whatever cack it's loaded with at the end) to the provider of the most outstanding track donated (good or bad.) Gotta be worth a quid or two, surely..?

You'd be helping two great charites and one grateful runner image

Thanks. debbie

• I teach in a school for boys, who many regard simply as 'naughty'. The reality is that their emotional fragility and problematic behaviour are in many cases, a result of a childhood full of neglect, trauma and abuse.I’m running my first marathon for Childhood First; a charity that offers psychiatric and therapeutic care, as well as an education to children from similar backgrounds to those that I teach; children whose resilience, good humour and kind nature in the face of hardship, can inspire.Day in and day out I am witness to the damage that can be caused to children by adults and I see this as my opportunity to help. I'm training hard, but I really need your support! So, if you can, please dig deep and with your help, I can reach my target. So often we forget just how easy we've had things, don't we? http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=JFenemore
  • Hello everyone,

Well, I won't be running this year's London marathon as I've had to pull out due to injury (boo hiss!). However, I will be running the Dublin marathon in October of this year and then the 2011 London marathon for good measure.

I'm raising money for Guy's & St Thomas' Charity. This is the charity linked to Guy's Hospital (based at London Bridge, London) and St Thomas' Hospital (based near Waterloo, London). The charity supports many projects -big and small- both at the two hospitals (including the Evelina's Children Hospitals) and through the boroughs of Southwark and Lambeth. In addition, many of the initiatives it funds (including large scale research projects) influence care throughout the rest of the UK.

If you'd like to sponsor me then the link to my sponsorship page is here:

www.justgiving.com/actimel

Or if you would like to give me some moral support then the link to my blog is here:

http://marathonactimel.blogspot.com

NB: My fundraising page still has me as running the 2010 London marathon as I can't it to 2011 until this year's marathon has taken place

• Hi Everyone, 

I will be running in the Brighton Marathon on 18th April for the Kent Association for the Blind and I am looking to raise a minimum of £500 for them in the process. KAB is the main provider of services for people who are blind and partially-sighted in Kent, Medway, Bromley and Bexley. They aim to provide a quality service sensitive to the individual needs of sight-impaired people, helping them to attain the highest level of independence. Over 15,500 people currently use their service. If I reach my target, it will enable KAB to continue their work with adults, children, people with learning disabilities, people who are deafblind or have other multiple disabilities; KAB exists to offer support to people of any age, and to their family and friends. I do have a fundraising website which is www.everydayhero.co.uk/barry_chisholm for anyone kind enough to sponsor me.   

Many thanks,

Barry 

• I'm running in the London Marathon to raise money for Capricorn Animal Rescue.

The Marathon is on my 53rd Birthday and I’m hoping to celebrate by running my best marathon time - so my target is to finish in under 3 hours 40 minutes. Training has been going well and there's a good chance I'll hit the target. That means running at about 8 minutes per mile for 26 miles - if I do that, then I'll be in the top 20% of finishers. Not bad for a balding 53-year old with dodgy knees and one blocked nostril.

As I’ll be 53, it would be great to raise £530 - though £5,300 would be even better. Whatever money is raised will be welcomed, as the animals at Capricorn are expensive to look after, and as the Centre has just got planning permission for new buildings, there's lots of work to do - and lots of money needed.

More at: http://53today.blogspot.com/

Thanks for reading!

Eric

• Hi my name is Arrianne.

I last ran London 11 years ago and then took a long break..

Two years ago my grandson Zac was stillborn. He was full term. I was with my daughter when he was delivered. It was heart breaking to watch my daughter go through that. I am now almost at the start line and have decided to raise some money for Stillbirth and Neonatal Death Society. 17 babies are stillborn every day and nobody knows why.

The Marathon will be tough for this 50 year old Grandma. Who only started training in December.  But I want to do something for Zac, his Mum Sarah, his Dad Julian, and his Sisters Aimee and Sophie.

Thank you, please see my just giving page http://www.justgiving.com/Arrianne-Callowhttp://www.justgiving.com/Arrianne-Callow

• smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am running for the Stroke Association as they have been a huge help to my family.  My Nan died from a stroke in 2006, and then in 2007 my Sister in Law, who was just 44, suffered a stroke.  Thankfully my brother spotted from a text message that something wasn't right and rushed home to find her haemorrhaging badly.  After lots of tests the doctors were unable to determine whether the blood loss caused the stroke or the stroke caused the blood loss, but the outcome was that my Sister in Law was a shadow of her former self.

The Stroke Association offered her lots of help and advice and over time she made a full recovery, other than the fact that she no longer drinks you would never know that anything had happened.

The support she received from the Stroke Association helped both her and my brother to come to terms with what had happened and the changes they needed to make in life.

I would be really grateful of any helps towards my fundraising.

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/sarahsmarathon2010