Tuesday 16th June 2009

# and all I can hear is that fucked up sound

What: 8 miles easy d&d
Why: escavating fitness
Last hard: ?
Last rest: sunday

Getting pretty warm now, 21 ºC at 6am (don't laugh, DD)

Apologies if it appeared I was telling ceal off for not setting a world record (but someone has to keep her on her toes image )

Comments

• Morning

What: 5 miles easy d&d/ 10K race which won't be fast this evening  (42 would be about right)
    Why: Mileage and a little bit of speed
    Last hard: ?
    Last rest: Friday
    Lyrics: No

Yesterdays  Lyrics were Queen  - Who wants to live forever.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Morning all

What: hour on the bike AM Swim Lunchtime Racing again PM
    Why: you can't keep a racer from racing he just finds another sport :¬)
    Last hard: Sundays bike race
    Last rest: Saturday 13th June
    Lyrics: looking good for two in a row :¬)

Is anyone racing at Datchett this evening?
    Rach is running so I shall be popping over.

Ceal - I'm not a great one for role models and being inspired but what you do is pretty special, regards Gobi
  •  I won't be racing it but I'll be there , I'll try not to walk image.

• 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Ceal - Little I can say that hasn't been said already, just want to record my admiration for what you achieve.  Fantastic!

Blisters - Enjoyed your report of the ghosts of Mudshute.

Delayed report from the Welsh Castles relay.  For those who don't know, this is a 20-stage, 210 mile relay from Caernarfon to Cardiff run over 2 days as 20 distinct races with the times added up to see who's won what.  Bit like the Tour de France (a nod to Gobi's new passtime).

For the past few years I've been in our Vet Team, which keeps coming 2nd.  This year I haven't been quick enough, but I was fortunate enough to get a place in our Open Team, running the anchor leg into Cardiff.  So here's the report on Stage 20 - Caerphilly to Cardiff.

Distance 10.6 miles, little hill early on,  otherwise mostly flat and mostly on cycle trails rather than road.  As I'm low on endurance, plan was to do the first mile about 8:30 pace and then pick up to around 7:30 and work my way through the lower part of the field.

Register, line up at the back and off we go.  400m later I check my garmin, 8:20 or so,  look over my shoulder and of the 60 or so runners only 2 are behind me!  Decide that 400m easy was enough and pick the pace up a bit.  Overtake a dozen or so and tuck in behind a girl who's going quite nicely as we crest the hill.  We run together for quite a while, picking up the pace a little and gain 3 new friends.

No mile markers, but as the garmin reads 3 miles we are spot on 21 minutes.  Rather quicker than I meant but it feels OK.  Conditions are hot & sunny and a couple of the group are working very hard.

By the time we get to 6 miles the group lead has changed several times, as has the pace, but we reach that point in just over 42 min.  The girl from the hill is still beside me, but only one other is with us.

She starts slowing so I up the pace, and neither come with me.  Not going to sustain sub-6:30 for long, so when I turn the corner I ease back and feel rather lonely.  Nobody in sight ahead, and I sort of miss the company I had!

After this it all gets a bit difficult, pace keeps drifting and I'm getting rather hot & dry.  The odd straggler comes back to me and I pass an amputee runner who's now walking, suffering from cramp.

Through 10 miles, running in nice parkland approaching the castle.  I see the top of the Millenium Stadium above the tree tops and get some support from walkers and cyclists.  Marshall shouts 400m to go, then another says "follow the cobbles to the finish".  Through the gate I go, into Cardiff Castle to be met by a wall of noise from the assembled teams who've gathered for the finish & presentations.  Best sprint I can manage and over the finish line.  What a thrill!

Overall average pace 7:05, slower than half marathon race pace, but I can feel it coming back.

Even better, our Vet Team won, so we sat around in the sunshine and applauded ourselves as they went up to collect their trophies.  Great weekend.

• Morning,

Not been around much recently and am a bit behind.  Went for a run yesterday lunch time and it was rather warm - I struggled to get round 5.5M which is a bit unusual.  And now I know that life will get in the way of running until Thursday evening, maybe Friday lunch time.

Oh well...

Have a good day.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Morning folks.

Welcome AdrianW.

Gobi - very nicely put re: Ceal. Things are really looking up for you I see. Majorly pleased image

Paddy - I considered tying his laces together, but guessed it still probably wouldn't be enough image

Cheers Jason. Must be a weight off your mind to finish the exams. Loads more time for running now image

AF - I use tri laces (elastic ones) for two reasons, one being to make sure I don't overtighten them (plus if my feet are swollen they stretch to accomodate), the other being I've got a touch of OCD, so this stops me retying them several times. Worth a look.

What: 12m easy d&d / 6-8m rec jog pm.
    Why: totally addicted to
    Last hard: this am I guess - legs are still not used to the impact of running, so my quads were a little stiff. Another few days and all should be fine.
    Last rest: Saturday.
    Lyrics: no, though I did belatedly recognise yesterday's one - got it on my mp3 player!

Yesterday's light fartlek was fun. Combo of 1/2m and 1/4m efforts with equal length jogged recoveries. Went for strong, controlled aerobic effort, rather than nads akimbo. Covered a total of 5m(+) of effort in about 27mins(+). Nice way to notch up a bit of faster stuff image

Have a great day all!

• mavamava ✭✭✭

morning all.

Great report 40 minutes.  Well run and congrats to the Vets.

I tried to post earlier but it seems my internet connection isn't working at home.

What: 1.5 miles very slowly (av HR 123)
    Why:  I'm not going to let a bit of DOMs break my streak on the day it reaches 4 months!
    Last hard: walking downstairs this morning
    Last rest: 16 Feb

Anyone who could have seen me getting out of bed and downstairs this morning would have pi55ed themselves laughing.  Wooden legs?   Not 'arf!  But since the legs loosened on the run and do feel better with movement I guess it is DOMs rather than any underlying injury although my right calf is a little more niggly than everything else.  Hope it eases today.

Have a good day.

• Morning!

Sounds a great event 40 mins, good you're finding the form's coming back

• What:  4.2 miles easy (35 mins) d&d/  7-8 miles including 1 mile TT
    • Why:  Mileage building + intrigued to see what sort of speed I have at the moment
    • Last hard:  Everything seems at least a little hard, can't think of the last proper hard!
    • Last rest:  Sunday
    Have a good day all!
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Morning all,
    Not been here for a day or so, but belated congrats to Ceal, Pammie, mava, 40mins, and gobi in his new venture , but hang on, isn't this a running forum?...;-)
    Good news on the pb TmR, and did I see Joe did 18miles the day after the SDM? Maniac!

Hi Adrian - Whereabouts in Medway are you? (Saw you weren't far from Cliffe) - Medway exile myself...

Followed up Saturdays 1h40, with 1h30 xc on Sunday.
    Yesterday was kids sports day,  for the first time both were in the same overall competition (juniors: eldest yr6, youngest yr 3).
    eldest 2nd in LJ (new pb), 2nd in 100m, 2nd in 600m and despite handing the baton over 10m clear on leg 1 of the 4x200, the team were narrowly beaten into 2nd.
    Youngest won the 80m, and ran 1st leg on both the yr3 4x100, and the junior 'house' relay 4x200 (one from each year group). Two further wins in those two.
    Closest competition for a few years, just 50 points seperated all 4 houses in the overall reckoning, and despite my girls gallant efforts , the were beaten into 3rd by just 1 point.
    Very sunny day, so I think there was a touch of heatstroke (for me) so canned the 3mile recovery run ahead of tonights club run.

Have a great day

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    lol Dustin, indeed it is and I do post so much less than I use to. That said I do have plans to run again sooner rather than later :¬)

Jason, your post about everything being a little hard got me thinking. When I have a break for a few weeks in November everything is hard for a bit I dread to think what running will feel like after 2 months off :¬0
  • cealceal ✭✭✭

Thanks everybody. I have nothing to feel complacent about  and will just keep striving as long as I can.

Blisters
    to answer your question, I do LOADS of core work. Essential for me, my Bio-Mechanics are not brilliant and I have to work on it. I am also not very flexible and could never be a sprinter for that reason. But sometimes I think that being  not too flexible in the hip area can make one a stronger runner.   My hips have never been flexible, even as a child. But having said that I do work on keeping the movement I do have. I also do a lot of nerve stretches too. I work out in the gym once a week under supervision. I do daily exercises as well to compliment that. Then of course there is the running. I train on the track quite a bit in the summer and mostly on the  road all the time in the winter.    I just love it. But also wish the body didn't get older.

PS I was always scared of this thread, you all look and read so professional and dedicated, I never put myself in that category! But I often sneak on and have a  read.

I haven't commented on any-body's running, races and training and for that I apologize. But I have read all the posts!

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

A bit of calm before the storm here, and time to run and read and post.

Lots to comment on, but I shall miss most of it.

First - let me join the chorus in admiration of Ceal's achievements. It is really important to me, when I begin to make excuses for myself that Ceal can give me ten years and makes no excuses. A lesson I shall study with gratitude as well as admiration.

I would also like to propose a toast to TmR's 40,000 miles, over a quarter of a century of disciplined training. Again, accepting the discipline of training is one thing when the sport is relatively new to you and pb's keep on coming. It is something else to continue over a long period when the vector is not always pointing in the favoured direction.

40min - great report, and up the vets!

mava, sounds like you are putting in some good solid miles there, well done.

Missed Blisters report. Shall have to hunt back, but glad to hear that Mudchute ghosts are laid.

Me? I did get a run in today (and 4.25 hot miles on saturday too). Lousy runs, as runs, with dead feet (Saturday) and too dizzy to run through (today), but even just keeping going at the moment is better than not keeping going. We knew it was going to be pretty shambolic. The good bit about today's run, and reassuring after saturday's, was that feet were actually pretty lively and responsive. Ok, I'm still complaining, but it is different complaints, and that is a good thing.

Take care all, run in the cool if you can.

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Ceal? Scared of this thread? It's got ME! There isn't anybody runs worse than I do.

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    Stickless you are special and are an inspirtaion to everybody. So there!!! x

ceal & Stickless
    You are both inspirational - please keep posting here!

• 40 minutes - great report - relay racing is fun.

Dustin & kids - that sounded like a super sporting family weekend - well done.

Stickless - echo your thoughts on TMR's disciplined training over many years.

Ceal - core? I know that's what's wrong with me! I know my legs are strong but nothing else is! But I just don't seem to get around to doing anything about it!!

What: 3 miles with a little more effort put in - heel still sore.

Good running everyone.

• A'noon peeps.

What: 4.5M Steady this morning.

Ceal and 40mins: Well done to you both.

Gotta go now.

Have a good one peeps.

• Afternoon all,

40:  The comeback continues with a solid Welsh Castles leg. 

Mava:  Hope the DOMS is easing.  Well done on the 4 month streak.

Ceal:  I've never heard us described as professional and dedicated before - are you sure you've been reading this thread? image  But you have my admiration for all your achievements; you obviously are professional and dedicated. 

Saw TMR's 40k but it didn't register.  So a belated well done for sticking to it for 25 years. 

• What:  11m with 4m at LT
    • Why:  Still trying to work out the difference between LT and recovery. 
    • Last Hard:  1/1
    • Last Rest:  15/3

Have a good one!

Evening all, and thanks for the congratulations.  I get a big buzz out of that race every year, the whole experience is stunning.

What:  4 undulating miles at just under 7:30 pace
    Why:  My neighbour & x-training partner's idea of an easy run
    Last hard:  Today's easy run
    Last rest:  1 day

Easy to understand why she no longer trains with me!

Club night tomorrow & we have a uka flying coach visiting us, so I'll try the track session for a change.

• Interesting how Ceal expained how you (she!) can go over 100% of age grade when you get to the top of an age band.  I looked at the world age group records, http://www.world-masters-athletics.org/records_output/rec_list_outdoor_w.php and it is really significant how almost all the world records are broken in the first year in the age band.  This ageing business is a bit of a bind !

40mins, it must have been brilliant doing the last leg of the relays, and well done for running such a lot faster than your expectations

ceal, you take your training a lot more professionally and better organised than most of us who hang around here

stickless, and NZC, AF thanks

What: yesterday, just a weight session, but pretty hard work
    luncthime today; c 3ml easy,   then to dentist (had to have an offending tooth out  image)  then to track, (cos its in the same direction as dentist, and wouldn't have been worth going home) and sat in sunshine till it was time for drills over hurdles, then into warm up and reps session - total 10.5ml inc 3,2 ml @MP, 5 x 400 @ 10k pace, 2.4ml MP (at least these were the goal paces, but never really hit any of them.  I wish I could do these hurdle drills at another time, as I'm pretyy knackered afterwards, and must be affecting the session, but doesn't seem possible, and I think they are going to prove extremely useful in strengthening my hip flexors ( for better knee lift and so longer stride) .  Finished the evening with 40 mins discus practice.
    Why: how else would one want to spend a sunny afternoon and evening (well, except the dentist part) ?

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

Great to see the DTT doing its best in support and welcomes and keeping all afloat whatever we go through, Great stuff.

Blisters and 40Mins, just got to reading reports well done.

What - 9m Progressive Run along the Cldye
    Why - Still in Glasgow
    Last Hard - Tonight
    Last Rest - Fri

Take care