Health Promotions @ Work

Hi,

I work on an oil rig and am hoping with the help of the Medic onboard to set up some kind of onboard fitness challenge, problem is im struggling for ideas, can anyone help?

Previously they did a Round The World Challenge where anyone who ran/cycled/walked in the gym filled out a sheet and handed it in, the mileage was added up and mileage logged on a world map, this sounds like a good idea (i didnt work there when they did it so didnt get to see it myself) although i think people lost interest and think they only made it half way round before giving up.  Everyone who logged any mileage no matter how small was entered into a prize draw, the winner recieving running shoes.

I would like to do something similar but am having trouble getting ideas online and im not the most creative of people.  We are limited to a cross trainer/treadmill/bike/rowing machine in the gym.

Can anyone offer any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks

Nic

Comments

• http://www.stroke.org.uk/media_centre/press_releases/call_for_people_to_1.html 

you've missed this date but you could pinch the idea.. and have your own on rig Stroke Awareness day.  You could download leaflets etc from the website.  Your medic could do blood pressure testing.  I don't know if you could still blag any pedometers from the charity?  You could maybe do it in teams with a prize to the team that 'walked' furthest?

Or look at other charity websites like British Heart Foundation see if they can help you.

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Could they 'row' across the channel - or even home?
  • walk/run/row rtc up Everest?

down to depth drilling (distance)

pedometre challenges are good for people who (or dont ) walk  a lot in job

BHF Workplace Activity Promotion Info

• TwoTinNicTwoTinNic ✭✭✭

Wow guys thats some absolutely brilliant ideas, thank you very much, will go and have a look at those links and see what i can do.  I like the idea of rowing/run/walk the distance home/up everest, the rig has a small number of people on board so round the world maybe just takes too long!  The stroke awareness is a good idea, it would be good to use something like that to make people aware why exercise is good rather than just about winning a raffle prize.

Thanks again

Nic

• Have you thought about supplementing your physical activity ideas by perhaps asking the chefs to provide some healthy food options, e.g. reducing saturated fat?? Good luck
  • TwoTinNicTwoTinNic ✭✭✭

Hi for-the-t-shirt, sorry only just noticed your post!  The chefs do put on healthy food options too although sometimes the actually "heath foody-ness" of them is questionable!  Too much oil on pasta, fish coated with cheese etc!

Have decided to do a Round Europe challenge, still to plot out a route on a map though, going to speak to chef and see if he can do theme nights when we reach particular destinations etc.  Tshirts for all participants and monthly prize draws for those involved where if they win money from the welfare committe is donated to the charity of their choice.  Hopefully people will actually be interested!!  Not had much interest from anyone to join my committee though!

Thanks again!

• We did one where we grouped into teams of about 6, and wore pedometers for 4 weeks; the winning team and winning individual won prizes for the longest distance walked, but unfortunately the pedometers were absolutely useless and a lot of them were recording inaccurately before the first week was up. It did get a few sedentary people doing a lot more walking, but it was a bit short-lived.
  • CV machine triathlon? Row 1500m on a rowing machine, cycle 40km on a stationary bike and run 10km on a treadmill (with age group prizes, obviously).  Perhaps you rig up CCTV or something to a sat system and get the divers to do bits of commentary or announcing. hh, heliox voics, make me laugh every time!

I did have an idea involving a toolpusher but I'd rather not go into that.

• TwoTinNicTwoTinNic ✭✭✭

Haha, intrigued by the toolpusher bit Stig!  Its not a drilling rig so no toolpushers here, we do have divers out at the moment but unfortunately they are on nights!  Triathlon sounds interesting!  I really need to get my bum in gear and get something sorted soon as im home in less than a week and want to get something sorted!  Everyone just seems to be interested in making sure they get a tshirt for taking part!

Thanks Vicky, the pedometer idea sounds good but not sure how safe they are for using around the rig?  Its good that you got people who are normally quite sedentary moving.  The problem is keeping that going i suppose! 

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

How about a challenge where you state your own goal and then whoever gets the closest is the winner.  That way the less fit people also get a chance to win.

For example, our running club does events where you guess how long it will take you to run a certain distance and then you run it (without timing devices) and the winner is the one closest to their estimate.  We use it as a way of getting beginners involved.  You could tailor the idea to any bit of gym kit. 

Or maybe do a challenge based on improvement over a period of time.  Do a baseline test, then do the same test a month later as see who has the biggest %age improvment.

• TwoTinNicTwoTinNic ✭✭✭

Sorry Caz, just noticed your message!! I like your goals idea, that is a good one!

To be honest I have done nothing more with it as it was mentioned at a couple of the safety meetings and we asked for volunteers to help me and not one person came forward...put me off the idea of doing anything if no one is going to take interest!