Friday 19th June 2009

Yeah , I've been working all week and I'm just ..................

Morning All

What : 5M am / club 1M race followed by barbeque
Why : Trying to get used to doubling up
Last Hard : Tuesday
Last Rest :  Last Friday (Over 100M agoimage )

Have a good one everyone.

JW - Those speeds don't compute , I'm begining to understand sub 6min/miles exist but sub 5's are what those Africans do image

Happy Birthday Pammie imageimageimage

Comments

• Morning...

lol 40 mins

What: 8 miles d&d
    Why: trying to get into the habit
    Last hard: ?
    Last rest: wednesday
    Lyrics: think so

• mavamava ✭✭✭

morning all.

is it Pammie's birthday?  Gosh, well happy birthday Pammie!  image

What: 4.6 miles easy
    Why: still recovering
    Last hard: sunday
    Last rest: 16 Feb

My legs are almost better - I managed to walk downstairs without wincing this morning image.  There's a bit of an issue around my right ankle.   The calf is tight but there's a tightness which runs right round the ankle, almost as though I turned it.  Perhaps I did but didn't notice.

I do love early morning running at this time of year.  it's a gorgeous morning here in west Kent.  Fab birdsong, lots of bunnies,  a woodpecker off somewhere.  

Boy I'm glad it's Friday.  We are having very interesting times at work (interesting as in the Chinese curse "may you live in interesting times") which mean huge organisational changes (i.e. our current organisation won't exist really as from next April).  My job is probably safe although there may be attempts to change my employer. Hmmm.  

Have a good day.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday Pammie

What: Miles on the bike and a possible swim
    Why: yawn, really is that the time
    Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: Saturday 13th June
    Lyrics: mmmmmmmmmmmmmaybe
  • Woke up this mornin feelin fine,

Its a nuisance that ar5e of mine,

Climbed the stairs and felt the pain, 

No running today in the Sun or Rain.

Might have to consider a swim later meself.

Happy Birthday Pammie 

• 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Pammie's birthday?  Where's our cake?

Club track session this evening, will make it 2 in 3 days, am i turning into sharkie?  Mrs 40 will be surprised...

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    More cake !!!
    Happy Birthday Pammie!

What - 3 or 4 easy
    Why - feel knackered, plus a small trip to the physio later (free offer from my gym). Despite my doctors reassurances that I'm just suffering from signs of ageing, I still have niggles in my right foot/ankle, and pins and needles in my toes - always not intermittantly. So will get a second opinion. Being the cynic that I am, I fully expect them to recommend a 10 session course of treatments at probably £50 a pop.....

Have a great weekend
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Morning folks.

Happy birthday Pammie.

Paddy - not yet, but it's been a good first week so far. If the next 18 continue in this vein..... image Unlucky with the pain in the ar5e, hope it resolves soon.

AF - nice one on the mileage. Any upper limit in mind, or just as and when your body says so?

sharkie - the recce has actually helped clear the impact pains I'd been having from the road running, funnily enough, so a good result all around image

Imski - that's a new one on me. Maybe sharkie or Gobi can shed some light on it if it's some form of sprint drill?

mava - fingers crossed there are no job issues. There seems to be a lot of this going on at the moment, despite the government repeatedly reassuring us that the end of the recession is in sight.......

What: 6m very gentle rec jog d&d / 14m(+/-) pm with 10m steady.
    Why: more base image
    Last hard: last 2 miles of yesterday's 16m - tummy issues.
    Last rest: Saturday.
    Lyrics: not a scooby.

Went to the docs yesterday as I've been feeling a bit shook since Cuba (about half way through the holiday I started having massive stomach problems). He has confirmed, as I thought, that I have contracted some form of virus/tummy bug, so has suggested that I don't overdo it for the next while in terms of effort (lucky then that I'm in base and therefore sticking to aerobic efforts) and it should clear naturally within a few weeks as the worst of it seems to have already gone. Given that antibiotics normally wipe me out (primarily because of the IBS), neither of us want to go down that route, so fingers crossed! TT jr is, unfortunately, in the same boat, whereas Mrs TT seems to be made of sterner stuff than both of us!

Have a great day all! image

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Thanks for the birthday wishes

40 Cakes on the table in the corner with the Jelly and ice cream if you like you can play pin the tail on the donkey later - if you're good image

Paddy - Oh dear hope you get better soon

TT - You too.

What: 3.16 miles
    Why: Why not
    Last Hard: Wednesday

sees ya laters alligators image
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

and if we're bad do we play postman's knock?

• Well blow me down I was listening to the Hard-Fi album last night. LFTW is my favourite track.

Next hard..5k Marston tonight - going for PB....ave it!!!

Bonne anniversaire Pammy (hope thats correct)...

I only wanted one cake, the rest of you can fight over the 39, but then you'll have to play postman's knock with Dustin...

• Was about to say morning but just realised the time... don't usually lie inimage!  Survived 5 miles yesterday and felt better as a result!

Happy birthday Pammie!

Joe - nice going on the 100 miles since last Friday!

Jason W - looking at those miles and at those speeds... all I could think was... wow!

Good luck in the 5k Simon, hope you get that PB!

Paddy - hope the pain clears up, enjoyed your lyrical adapation of your woes!

• What:  33 mins 30 am d&d / 45 mins pm
    • Why:  Slowly building the mileage and trying to get comfortable with doubles
    • Last Hard:  Hard mile on Tuesday (5:31, haven't officially gone faster before, but think I should be capable of quicker)
    • Last Rest:  Sunday
    • Lyrics:  nope
    Have a good day and weekend!
  • Afternoon all,

Happy Birthday Pammie!  Does the number of cakes point to a significant one?

PM2: Eloquently put.  Hope the pain doesn't remain image

Dustin:  Best of luck with the fizz from a fellow cynic.  I'm still fuming from the bill for the steroid injection - and I wasn't paying!

• Initial Appointment: £150
    • Appointment for Injection:  £130
    • Injection: £100.

I'll stick with TMR from now on.

TT:  I'll probably add a few more doubles and see where it takes me, but the main focus will be to up the quality.  Hope the tum settles down.

• What:  13m general aerobic
    • Why:  The Friday get-out-of -the comfort zone continues, although there were a few mind-games going on today,
    • Last Hard:  1/1
    • Last Rest:  15/5

Have a good one!

• Afternoon

A quick pop in from Newcastle airport, have just survived a weeks course which involved some fairly serious beer drinking. Still ran every day bar one when the hangover was just to bad.

Ran South Downs Marathon last Saturday and found out after 5K that my legs were not recovered from Comrades, knew right then that it was going to be a long hard slog to the end, thought about a DNF but that's simply not in my vocabulary, struggled to the end in 4-41 awful!

What: 5 miles around the footpaths of County Durham it was wonderful and I didn't even start to sweat until I was nearly done, weird to be running on grass in 10C!

Why: Its where I was

Last Hard: Saturday

Last Rest: Wednesday

Hope your all well, off to London now to do some more beer drinking with clients

• mavamava ✭✭✭

afternoon

Paddy, liked the poem, sorry you're still in pain.  Is it piriformis?  

TT - sorry to hear about yet more gut problems. Are you still using the aloe vera?  I've just started and suspect it might be working!   On the job front - this is a public sector re-organisation, one of many I have been through since I started working there more than 10 years ago.  However this one, instead of leaving us with basically the same organisation with different boundaries or a wider remit, will get rid of the organisation and replace it with something completely new under a different umbrella.  I'm sure my job is completely safe, I'm just not sure I want it in the new set up.   And  in the meantime 'business as usual' in uncertain times will be a challenge.

Pammie - mmmm, cake.  Sounds like a significant birthday to me!  BUMPS!!!

DD - well done for South Downs so soon after comrades!

• A'noon peeps.

What: 4M Easy this morning.

Why; Recovering from yesterdays fartlek session.

Pammie:Happy B'day !

Joe: A good week's training then !!

All the best to this weekend's racers.

Have a good weekend peeps.

• Mava,

Just looked up Piriformis on Wikipedia. Its in that area alright. Only seems to hurt climbing the stairs, although today even that's not too bad - more of a feeling now rather than a pain. I have run since i got it but it wasn't clearing - the few days rest seem to be helping. Hope recovery not far off. Tempted to try an easy run later, but going to wait until tomorrow. Hoping that by next week I can be back to normal.

TT,

Sorry to hear about the Stomach troubles - hope they clear up. Take the Doc's advice - take it easy for the few days. I known two cases of these bugs becoming something more serious - make sure you get it cleared up. On another thing, (and i'm sure that you have this in order) - make sure your registered as Irish for Dublin if you are to claim a national medal. I have heard a few stories about Irish entrants living on the "mainland", registered inadvertently as British and losing their claim on a medal.

• mavamava ✭✭✭
    Paddy - my OH had PF problems for quite a while.  Fizz gave him exercises and a stretch - bring your knee up to your chest then pull it across your body.  TmR though might give you some better advice.  Mine gets tight and when I go for massage the chap gets  his elbow deep into it and boy it hurts!!
  • sharkie, its not so much the flexibility but   hip flexor strength. Although I obvoiusly don't need to raise the knees as high as in sprinting, if I can  get them a little bit higher, for 3.5hrs my stride should lengthen and hence speed increase.;  And are you sure it wasn't QOP's elbow in your rhomboids?

Happy b'day, Pammie

AF did the steroid injection help ?

DD, but SDM was scenic though ?

This is my favourite pririformis stretch (even if this link makes it look a bit odd )  http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/piri.2.html  

What:  am:  7.3 ml inc a few ml at MP;  pm, 4ml easy inc c 1ml barefoot
    Why:  did too little yesterday, but feeling lots better today.  (I'm experimenting with eating loads more protein, to see if my energy increases- any comments ? )

• Evening,

Rather a long time since I was on here - I don't like it when life interferes with running!

Happy Birthday, Pammie!

What: 6.6M
    Why: first run since Monday (busy week)
    Last hard: forgotten
    Last rest: most of this week

Today's run was a weird one.  Set off at a nice gentle pace.  Then, after about 0.25M saw a couple of friends just setting off about 0.25M ahead of me.  Ran rather quicker than planned for the next 0.5M or so to catch them up (clocked 6.50 for first mile instead of planned 8.30 or so, which is quick when you've done the first quarter slowly).  Then ran slowly with aforementioned friends (their normal pace is about 8.50).  Then ran a further mile or so after they had finished but upped the pace.  So, a real mixture!  Enjoyed it, though.

Take care...

• Mava/ TMR,

Thanks for the words. Ive already been doing the knee up across the body stretch and it seems to hit the spot. My wife and 6 year old daughter have just been looking at my new strectch (TMR's) worryingly - they think i'm gone slightly mad with all these strange positions!!. It does looks strange, although basically the same thing but lying on your front rather than back, with the ankle twist - the ankle twist doesnt give any additional feeling in the area leading me to think its the Glute rather than the Piri.

I notice in the article that it is supposed to hurt going up stairs - thats when i do feel it. I'm not sure whether it's the glutes or the piri. I'll keep stretching and hope it gets better soon, otherwise its off to see a fizz. But as i say, i'm hoping its not too bad as it's a "feeling" rather than a "pain". I dont want to make it worse tho.

I hope this doesn't go on too long. I'm a real pain in when I cant run.

Thanks again 

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

• Happy birthday Pammie.

TMR - I always thought that you did that stretch lying on your back. The muscles on that man!

What: 4 miles with 10 strideouts.

Why: To get faster.

What happened: felt fine while I was doing them although I could feel a pull in my right calf. Had a very sore foot all afternoon!

Good running everyone.

• I find I get a much better stretch face down because the stretch increases as you sink your body weight into it, which is easier than pulling the foot up or across.  I didn't read the article, as I'd just googled piriformis stretch looking for the one I wanted, and didn't notice anything about the foot, and I actually bring the foot underneath much higher up, so it is level or higher than my waist. And you can easily alter the exact angle of the stretch by how far to the side you lean your bum

• A litttle bit more googling and I've found these two partic the first is very clear, but NZC, I'm surprised how many   more sites have the one lying on your back.

http://mcr.coreconcepts.com.sg/glutes-and-piriformis-stretch/

http://jaxmed.com/massage/pirformis_stretches.htm   (Piriformis and psoas stretch neart the bottom of the page)

Evening all.

What:  5 x 800m off 90 secs
    Why:  Couldn't manage the full 8!

Pretty poor really, 3:09-3:15 reps, could do 10 or so when in marathon training so 8 wasn't a big ask but legs were empty 300m into no.6 so I called it a day.  Shows where my current weakness is - sustained pace - but I'm sure it will come back.

Shortish hilly run planned for tomorrow.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

lol @ the other 39 cakes 40mins image On the bright side with your reps, at least you were sensible enough to not push yourself over the edge. Stuff like that will come back quickly as you get back into it more!

DD - sounds like a hard run in the South Downs for you. Not surprised your legs were still mashed after Comrades.

mava - basically the doc says I got what is known as traveller's tummy. In my case most likely caused by the chlorinated water. I forgot to take the Aloe Vera with me, but have been using it since I got back and think it is primarily responsible for the improvement so far. Your job sounds like something friends of mine are going through - they're constantly being reinterviewed for their jobs everytime a round of redundancies comes up. Not nice!

Paddy - hope the stretches clear up. Cheers for the advice re: Dublin. I've already been told I have to go and specifically register with the AAI at the Expo after picking up my number, so that should take care of that. All my running is aerobic at the mo, but even within that I run to effort, rather than pace, so where necessary the pace drops accordingly which should keep things from worsening.

For those of you who may be interested, this is the leg of the Ridgeway Relay: http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-kingdom/swindon/881912770219 you can click elevation under the details on the right-hand side to see the profile. Trust me though, it's a hell of a lot worse than it looks.

First steady run of the campaign this pm went ok. Aside from the tummy probs, the stitching has started to come out on one of my trainers, which resulted in a rather unpleasant gouge to my foot (resulting in slightly more painful running). A relatively hilly 10m in the middle of 14m in 60:43. Probably closer to 90% than 80% effort, but given the quick return to high mileage and it being first week back, plus the probs, etc, I'm not unhappy with it.

Good luck to any racers at the weekend.

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    Just a quick word on piriformis stretching. If one has pain/discomfort in this muscle then it is probably in spasm. Stretching any muscle in spasm is not good. It can make the muscle worse. So make sure first. Elbow in the butt is the best way to cure any piriformis tightness.  

TT
    I hope you feel better very soon. As an IBS sufferer myself I can relate to how you must be feeling with what's going on at the moment.