Trionium Midsummer Munro Half-Marathon

Comments

• Hey - I've got a (apparently healing) stress fracture on my tibia that I've had for the past two years - actually from around the same time I last ran this.....image

Was hoping it would be sorted by the time this came around......ho hum. Would love to be doing it again otherwise. ....

Dr Rob, will email you the details of my replacement as soon as I get them...

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Yup, see you there, Mr K and Joe ... and don't forget, it's on a Saturday image
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Joe, Hi, I saw that you were doing this. I see you have an earlier kick-off so I`ll see you around somewhere I`m sure. Have a good one.

Muttley, hello, all ready for 4.00pm then? 

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    As ready as I can be ... <wibble>
  • First lap is just a warm up image
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Joe - That`s good, as I was wondering how & where I was going to do my "warm up" image

Muttley - Pull yourself together Man image

• imagehello ... the race is full..aggrrrrimage...

anyone is not running? i will be happy to take your place and pay x it..

thank u

• Same request as Redcat ........  having just organised the North Downs 30K last Sunday ,  I am in need of a huge scoop of "participation  recovery"  , anyone please

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    King XC - please contact me at rob at trionium dot com.

Looks like Lucozade orange squeezy packs will not be available. Instead there will be a variety of flavours of 'Body Fuel Drink' in 500ml bottles at the half way and finish.
  • imagethanks Kings That is fantastic news! check u email image
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Ouch ... had a fairly enthusiastic run yesterday evening and seem to have tweaked something at the top of my thigh. I'll use the rowing machine tonight and see if that loosens it up and shakes it out.
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Muttley - That`s not too good, lets hope you can make the start line......(unsure if it`s you playing the `sick golfer` card thou...if not...real sorry).
  • Hi,

Is there any spaces free? i am desperate to run this race tommorow 

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

The sick golfer card? <splutter> As if I would ...

My hunch is that it just needs to be worked out a bit. Either way, a good sesh on the rowing machine tonight will kill or cure. I know there's plenty of "vultures" circling, but I'm determined to do this one. Unless it really is an injury, in which case will post on here.

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    Philip - turn up and you are likely to be lucky.

Good luck everyone - this time tomorrow and it will all be over.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    I reckon I'm good to go. I shall even wear my patriotic Union Jack bandanna, to match Dr Robert's shorts image
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Muttley - Good news.

Have a good race all - best of luck.

See you in a couple of hours

• Good luck to everybody taking part in this great race today.

See you all on the hill.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Right, packed and ready to head for the hills. See you there!
  • May i be the first to congratulate everybody on a great run.

hope you all enjoyed it see you all next year.

Thank you Dr Rob job very well done again.

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone. Thanks for the kind comments..much appreciated. Great to see so many old familiar faces.

Good luck on the stairs on Sunday and Monday.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Motion seconded ... an excellent event in a festive atmosphere. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and was surprised to finish in a time rather better than I anticipated. I put this down to my early lunch - I was running on pasty power.

I felt a bit undertrained over the distance but settled into a routine (as far as it's possible with those steps) and held it nicely until that last big climb after doing the steps across the river for the second time. By then I felt that my legs had detached themselves and were lying twitching and quivering somewhere alongside the course.

Feeling pretty good at the moment ... no aches or pains or cramp but absolutely, profoundly knackered. I might not be walking too well tomorrow. I think the quads in particular are going to be telling me something.

Superbly organized, and Dr Rob was a convivial host. Great spread at the finish!

Only annoyance was seeing Mr K fly past me on the final descent to the line. Thought I'd seen him off with a couple of miles to go but he sneakily harnessed the power of gravity image

• &Well, what can I say, third time at the event and my worst performance which was particularly hard to take considering I felt pretty confident going in, had done plenty of training and thought this was going to be my year.

Hit halfway on a PB and then it all went wrong with cramps, I've have never had them so bad, I normally get them around the final steps but they started after coming down white hill & just got worse & worse. I would like to thank every runner who offered to help and gave support, there was a lot of them & especially the two runners who had a leg each and stretched me out after the final steps, the pain was horrendous.

Glad to complete the course and really suffering today, the worst of this is I am already planning next years strategy.

This is still my favourite event and huge thanks to Rob for putting this on, I still think he's a sick twisted sadist and am having thoughts of inflicting extreme violence on his person but unfortunately will be back for more.

Nick
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

So how are we feeling this morning?

I can usually touch my toes. Shortly after getting up I could reach my knees, no further. Right now, about halfway down the shins. And wishing I lived in a bungalow. I slept quite soundly last night.

• Today is my birthday, and never have I felt the signs of an ageing body quite so much. I thought I had better wait until this morning before adding my race review, just wanted to get those final steps out of my mind.

Thank you Rob for staging a really terrific event. There are so many nice touches to the day - the food at the drink stations and at the end, the great medal, the 'caution hill' signs etc. My small team of spectators enjoyed the day too, the atmosphere was so friendly.

I had not done this before and after 2 miles was really wondering what I had let myself in for. But I settled into the race and enjoyed the challenge, until those last steps. Goodness me, they were nasty. I think I came to a complete standstill at one point. I thought they would never end, my legs were destroyed. Anyone who does the Picnic must be completely barking. 

• Thanks Dr Rob for another great event. The run through a couple of weeks back was brilliant for getting me through mentally - in the absence of mile markers I was counting down the hills, though they all seemed a hell of a lot longer and steeper than I remember!

Great support all around the course too. Will wait till the soreness subsides before contemplating next year!

• I'd like to add my thanks to Dr Rob and all the volunteers for such a great day - even though it still hurts! I cannot believe the times of the winners (especially the Picnic). I really must try and get fitter but I really do like my food and beer! The medal is fantastic!

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Great day yesterday....when the tightness in my legs have gone I`ll leave positive feedback otherwise the marking will be tainted somewhat image

Well done to Dr Rob, the bag piper, all the volunteers & other runners - I`ve not seen so much support from other passing runners during a race before.

Great effort.

Muttley....I was going so fast because I was in a hurry to finish the damm thing image

• Congratulations to everyone who completed both races. I simply can't believe anyone can run 26 miles on that course! I'll be back to run (hopefully) next year.  
  • I did the Picnic yesterday and apart from saying well done to everyone who got round the Munro, I wanted to thank all you Munroers for the tremendous support and encouragement you gave those with red numbers on the way round.

I may not have seemed that appreciative at the time (all I could muster was a grunt and what might have appeared to be a smile was in fact a grimace because of the pain) but it was a real boost and a massive help in seeing me through to the end.

The only thing that I can say is that when I did the Munro a couple of years ago, I was convinced I'd never want to see another one of Dr Rob's races again (I'd echo the comment that the guy is a twisted sadist who just happens to put on the most fantastic events), but curiosity and foolishness got the better of me - you've been warned!