Bewl 15

PlodderK writes "The 10th Bewl 15 5th July 2009 will soon be on us. This year we are keeping the best bits as 2008, such as 1,100 or more cakes, goody bag, Brass band plus a commemerative towel and a specially designed medal. The course has changed as we hope to eliminate the famous stile as well as the steps at the Bewl Visitor Centre. The route will also be expanded to include the Hazlehurst Farm path around "The Nose" which gives first class views of the Visitor Centre on the opposite bank.

We have a race limit of 700 and we already have 149 online and 193 postal entries so I recommend early application. You can enter via the Runner's World website."

Comments

• How many entries have you now?

I am trying desperately to fit this race in but it is confounded by a wedding at the moment!

• I see that the new course lives up to its Bewl 15 name, as it has been extended a little around the edge off the reservoir. Are there any changes to the water provision, as on a hot day four years ago I was suffering a little towards the end?
  • Plodder KPlodder K ✭✭✭

Here is an update.  The current entry is 467 and rising fast so we expect a sell-out. We have learned so much from our previous races and improved the water situation immeasurably compared to a few years ago. We have 2,496 x 330ml bottles of water, 200 x 500ml bottles of water, 400 litres of reserve tap water, 4 stations with 150 litres of High 5 sports drink and 3 sponge stations. With the goody bag we also have 700 1/2 litre lucozade bottles at the finish as well as the 330ml bottles  of water.

Last year we had so much unused water so I am confident the water situation this year is more than adequate, so I hope your minds are at rest . We have 330ml botles as last year we found the 1/2 litre size was too heavy and difficult to open on the run.

The long range weather for 5th July shows good weather with just 1 morning of rain on 30th June. Obviously this may change so please look up this useful weather link:

www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=tn3 8jh&day=6.

I will report further nearer the race.

• Looking forward to this race, especially those lovely hills from 9 miles in!
  • BB ✭✭✭
    Just entered, be good to do a race in place of my lsr, and I like the sound of the cakesimage
  • Sorry B no cakes.

Don't forget to pick me up image

• What time does it start? Plans in the pm, would love to fit it in

• Plodder KPlodder K ✭✭✭

The Bewl 15 race starts at 10.30 sharp. The route has changes including the configuration at the Visitor Centre so we are re-introduciong the extension known as "The Nose" at Hazlehurst Farm. This means we are back to 15 miles (actually 14.98 miles per several Garminchecks).

So far we have 229 online and 242 postal i.e. 541 in all so we are running out fast as our limit is 700, so I recommend early entry. Forumites who confirm they will enter are guaranteed a priority entry as previous years.

Weather expected to be ideal despite rain in a few days time. The surface is currently very firm and just slightly damp within the odd dense woodland trails.

• BB ✭✭✭
    Just looked at last years results... it's gonna be a pretty quiet run for us Nicko, I hope they save us some cakeimage
  • Plodder

Can you save me an affilated place please?

I'll be by my home computer later today and will complete the online entry then (if thats ok?)

Thank you

Mark

• B wrote (see)
    Just looked at last years results... it's gonna be a pretty quiet run for us Nicko, I hope they save us some cakeimage
    S'ok B I have a cunning plan. It involves a small motorboat I have concealed about my person.
  • BB ✭✭✭

ha ha I thought that was a canoe in your pocketimage

My number came today 544

• Plodder KPlodder K ✭✭✭

Mark

A place is guaranteed but bring a copy of this forum as proof. did Bewl this morning to check route again. The trails is very firm with a few soft areas rapidly drying. Good news, the stile is replaced by a gate at last

• I've completed the onlin entry now.

Very excited now and hoping for good weather for my first Bewl 15.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Hi, can you confirm that this event is now full. TY

I know some people who did mention entering on the day. I'd like to be able to let them know if that is still poss - or  nah nah nah no cake for you!  image oops I mean sorr the event is full.

Weather - hot, sticky and wet.

• Aaaaaaaaaaaaah only just found out about this event I only live in Tun Wells a few miles away I could even cycle there.

Now its full, typical.

Will there be places available on the day? This would be a nice stretch after the Munro 2/52 ago I'd love to give it a go.

• Plodder KPlodder K ✭✭✭

Bewl 15 Update:

Online is full but we will be accepting on the day only. Registration is open 08.30 and will will try to accomodate every on the day arrival within a reasonable time. Telephone or email places are guaranteed. Course is very firm and no rain at all forecast from now until after Bewl 15. The temperature is to peak at 23 deg C and cloudless until after 1pm when there is expected to be sunny periods. We have 4 wwater staions, a hose at the 3rd stop, sports drinks (High 5) at every 4 water staions and lucozade Sport at water station 3. Emergency tiolet at water staion 3. We are also adding a 5th emergency water station at the 14 mile mark at the bottom of the uphill section to the finish. water and a bottle of Lucozade product awaiots you in the goody bag. Enjoy and be safe. 

Keep on Running

• I'm off to buy a hat to protect my bald pate.
  • Sir Cowarde, I think I saw you at the Southend half marathon a couple of weeks back, wearing the maidstone harriers shirt.  I must get down to the harriers training evenings on Wed, as live in Bearsted and keep saying I will, but never get there, good luck at Bewl water and I may see you there.
  • Hi, does anyone know if there are any spaces left?  I would very much like to run this but would be travelling 80 miles from Herts, so would like to know before I travel. Thanks
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Read Plodder K's posts.

"So far we have 229 online and 242 postal i.e. 541 in all so we are running out fast as our limit is 700, so I recommend early entry. Forumites who confirm they will enter are guaranteed a priority entry as previous years."

Plodder K wrote (see)

Bewl 15 Update:

Online is full but we will be accepting on the day only. Registration is open 08.30 and will will try to accomodate every on the day arrival within a reasonable time. Telephone or email places are guaranteed. Course is very firm and no rain at all forecast from now until after Bewl 15. The temperature is to peak at 23 deg C and cloudless until after 1pm when there is expected to be sunny periods. We have 4 wwater staions, a hose at the 3rd stop, sports drinks (High 5) at every 4 water staions and lucozade Sport at water station 3. Emergency tiolet at water staion 3. We are also adding a 5th emergency water station at the 14 mile mark at the bottom of the uphill section to the finish. water and a bottle of Lucozade product awaiots you in the goody bag. Enjoy and be safe. 

Keep on Running

• Plodder KPlodder K ✭✭✭
    Final Bewl 15 Update. set up the course today. The distance is now 15 miles. course is set hard and rutted at the stretch from the start to the stile. Weather set for sunny periods with 18 deg C at 10am rising to 22 deg C by 1pm. Good running
  • BB ✭✭✭
    Thanks Plodder K - looking forward to itimage
  • Same here, also looking forward to the cakes, I have three in the fridge my wife and neighbour have made, thats enough of an incentive to get round quickly.
  • Yes, BeefyBaxter, that was me, and you really should join us.   We even run through parts of Bearstead on Wednesday evenings, and have some very attractive country routes during the Summer months where you will discover places around Maidstoine you did not even know existed.
  • Sir CC, will say hello if I see you at Bewl and will make sure I get down to the Harriers once I've gotten over the 15 miler.
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

White Pele, how many where in the fridge originally though?

Garmin on charge - check.
    Clean socks - check
    Number and safety pins - check
    Trainers - check

More tea then vicar?

• Congrats to the organizers, marshals & helpers of this race.
    The extras arranged due to the heat worked superbly.
    Oh, and the Lemon cake was out of this world & I would happily saw off one of my limbs for another bit.

• OG- I agree. Fantastic race and i loved that lemon cake too. Any idea where i can find the results of the race?