How to cope with being injured?

ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Just looking for some support and advice.  I am a new runner and was a very stupid new runner at the weekend, as a result I am injured and physio says it will take 4-6 weeks.

Anyone experienced being injured (okay i'm asking runners so this is akin to asking members of scottish slimmers if they like cream buns and chocolate -  both of which iam/do!)

How do you cope with being out? Do i have to start again in a month or so (i.e. back to run/walks) and slow? I progressed (probably too quick) well and was doing an easy/slow long run of 8 miles.

Can you be addicted to this running lark...is this withdrawl symptoms or am i just a grumpy sod all of the time image?

Been running for 2 months and my main goal is London Marathon next year. HELP image

Comments

• I think the key thing is to identify why and how you got injured, at take the neccesary (mental and physical) steps to avoid it happening in the future.

Obviously, when you get back into running you are going to have to take it easy and build back up your running fitness.

To keep general fitness up while laid off, do some good low impact stuff that your physio recommends doing.

As for "coping", you just have too, its one of those things that happens.

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    what is your injury?
  • ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Pulled/torn thigh and hip probably caused by a slightly twisted pelvis (according to physio)...couldn't walk on Monday but now very little pain!

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

I assume phyusio realigned pelvis then?

You do just have to get on with it.....im sort of out at the moment too....reappearance of tendonitis in big toe tendon. I can run.....I just shouldnt. Off to physio in an hour, hopefully it will help....and I can slowly get back to it in a while...i need to as my goal is spartathlon this year.

Is there anything else you can do? gym stuff? Its nice cycling at this time of year (whihc is waht I have been doing!)

I would be tempted to say that 4-6 weeks sounds a loooong time....but I dont know the extent of things....so I wont.

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Cheers Nick

Yeah physio has done that,  I thought 4-6 weeks sounded long too..I will play it by ear!  Yeah Ive got my bike and then off on hols so will do some swimming

Good luck at physio.

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

well take the time to put some miles in on the bike.

If you can do 'gym' stuff then working on glutes is often overlooked by many runners, exercises such as lunges and 'good mornings' are good, as are a sort of squat....best described as: start from a sitting position, with a barbel across shoulders (25-30kg a rough guide)....then stand up BUT you sort of power forward (so your feet need to be quite a bit far forward and wide apart also), rather than standing straight up...so when you then sit down you have to stick your arse out to reach the seat'.

Simple eh?

• Take this time to work on your core strength.  It's something that runners often forget but is so important.  Lots of stomach exercises and back exercises.  Nick is right (as usual image) lots of glute exercises.

I see injury as a time to reassess everything and making things stronger so you come back stronger.  I look at is as part of the running process.  It is bound to happen at some point so use the time to work on things.

I'm back now after about 6 weeks out.  Seems like a long time but it flies past. imageimageimage 

Well, I might be lying but try not to dwell on it.

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Brilliant Thanks SS and Nick!! makes complet sense.  I kindda believe the lack of core strength contributed to the injury.

I here what you are saying about stomach and back ... where can i find these exercises online?

Gonna get my bike out too!! Should i strengthen with weights too?

I feel much more positive about this now so cheers! image

• No probs SB

Just google stomach and back exercises.  There are loads on the web.  Remember to start off slowly.  you dont want another injury.

When you do squats, start off without weights until you get the form right and a bit of strength then once you have that sorted start introducing light weights and build up gradually.  There are loads of those on the web too.

Always make sure you have good form as otherwise you could do more damage than good.  Do all exercises slowly and controlled.  Don't jerk or try to go too fast.

• Hi Shed

RW published some fab core strength exercises in the last few magazines, they're probably also on the website somewhere.  I agree that core strength is essential.  Do listen to your physio - I'v been out for a couple of months now and had to sit out of a half marathon that I had been training for which was such a shame after all the hard work.  I'm still not allowed to run - in fact at my appointment this morning she gave me the go ahead to walk albeit quickly and wearing my running trainers, but only for a couple of miles. 

It is hard to be patient but if you push too quickly you will just end up injured (probably more seriously injured) all over again.  If you push yourself to run when you body isnt ready - it will overcompensate for the injury and produce a more serious injury problem as a result.

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

'good mornings' - http://www.criticalbench.com/exercises/barbell-good-mornings.htm

...pilates is good for core strength...if you are a gym member. It also has other benefits! image

Lunges - http://www.5min.com/Video/Classic-Lunge-Exercise---Great-for-Gluts-and-other-muscles-61384123

Physio went well.....bit of a chicken and egg situation with big toe as toe joint was very stiff....so she freed that up - which may have put extra stress on tendon...stuck needle in shin to relax muscle associated with big toe tendon....freed up my jammed (as per usual) pelvis/SI joint, and strapped my foot to ease some of the pressure on the big toe joint.

There was also a needle in my back too as that was niggly.

So I will leave running for a few days and then see how it feels. In the meantime I am going to blast it with voltarol and ice.

• good ole voltarol and ice, heals most things. 

sounds like your foot is like mine.  I have a stiff big toe that causes knock on problems.

Hope it all clears up soon Nick

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Nick - I like the sound of Pilates mate image

Too many needles for me, but glad went well.  Should i use iceon my hips, groin and thighs?  Just imagine the wifes face coming home and i'm lying on sofa with frosen peas on my groin image

• Pilates is very hard but gives you abs of steel.  I use a lot of the exercises for my core exercises.  Don't have abs of steel though.  not quite.

LOL at the peas in the groin

• better if you have the womens tennis on tv at the same time.....
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Hope your foot isnt like mine shims....youve seen the picture! Fizz said it wasnt a serious case at all....so hopefully it should all settle fairly soon. *crosses everything!*

Sounds like a tricky place to ice SB! I have a few of those gel packs (can get em from places like poundland/cheapo shops) which I keep in the freezer...and also frozen water bottles can be good for rolling on some areas. I find that icing your bits makes the peas taste funny!

Yep pilates can be good...but perhaps not if youre married eh! tis where I met my OH.

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    oh and needles are very effective but take some getting used to.
  • Yep, I hope the big toe is where the similarities end image
  • ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    How did you know I was watching the womans tennis igby......image
  • I injured my groin a couple of months ago by overdoing it too soon and trying for too long to run though the pain. imagePhysio gave me a good training scehdule which i only managed to start doing properly last week, its just frustrating at having to start back at the beginning again and keep building up but i know its for the best in the long run.

Should have been doing the Mansfield Half this weekend but am resigned to the fact that im only gonna be entering the 'fun run' now instead as part of my training in my build up to the GNR.

Incorporating other activities into the mix is helping loads like cycling and swimming plus a bit of weight training exercises on the legs to keep everything in check.

I think the main thing in coping with injuries is 'Perserverance'

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Cheers RW4 ... yeah got a training plan too...includes lots of pelvic thrusts...so i'm gonna get inventive image

Im an awful one for thinking "cool, i can run for 2 miles without breaking sweat and no pain...lets try a 8 miler" ..... then i get injured image

I suppose i'm a prize idiot but have learnt me lesson and will take it easy ..cross training too to keep what fitness levels i have

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    DOn't know protocol so thought I would pick up again on this thread as I got some very good support.  I really did cripple myself apparently!  my squinty pelvis has all sorts of issues on back, neck, ITB and just about everything (well not everything!).  7 weeks on and I am back on the bike and have actually started swimming (swalloing heaps of water more like).  Any ideas/hints on getting back to running?  I am still in discomfort of sorts but pilates and yoag is helping!  I thought 2 min run 2 min walk for 20 mins or even slow jog 20 mins and see how it goes, physio says keep it very light in August.
  • i was advised to try something called pyramid running which really helped.

During the first couple of weeks this was along the lines of a warm up fast walk for about 5 mins, then i did a  run for 1 min, walk for 1 min, run for 2 mins, then again walk for a min, if still no pain try a run of 3 mins then again a walk for a min then run for 2, walk for 1, run for 1 and a cool down of a 5 min walk.

After my body had got used to that with no pain, i increased the top time of running to 5 mins and did all the increments up to that peak time and back down again. Then just kept increasing it for the next few weeks. Hope that makes sense image

Was also advised to do light weights work for legs and hips as well to increase the strength in the surrounding muscles. Has worked a treat with no pains since.