Tuesday 30 June 2009

TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Psychosomatic addict, insane.

Morning folks.

TmR - I was thinking of whatever is available to tick on the standard NHS blood test form, there aren't many, but the ones I listed the other day would be the best place to start IMO.

Welcome back IM & FL.

mava - have you tried hypnosis for the insomnia?

Paddy - 27pts? Did the other lot not take the field then??? image

What: 12m easy d&d / 6m rec jog lunchtime.
Why: Base.
Last hard: yesterday's fartlek.
Last rest: Saturday.

Legs were a little tired this morning and I was a little confused as to why, until I realised over Sunday & Monday I covered 51m and had my first gym weights session... Doh!!!

Have a great day all!

Comments

• Mornin.

TT - It was Westmeath  - and your right, they didnt turn up - they were shocking. Was a bit funny though as my broither who got married on Saturday married a Westmeath Girl - of course there was great chat about the match I listened avidly how we were going to get beaten - i stayed quiet - apparently they all left at half time with several tails between legs. Not good news for Dubs though - It happened last year against Wexford and what happened next????? ---------- destroyed by Tyrone. We play Kildare in Leinster Final same day as Tipp v Waterford in Munster Final. Our Hurlers up against KK in Final next Sundayimage

TT again - How are you feelin now. Are you still being held back a bit??

Mava - try reading a book or watching the telly, find something that you want to watch, set the timer to automatically switch off and your guaranteed to fall asleep PDQ. Falling that, have a feed of drinkimage

7/8 miles recovery later. why - a bit tired from last nites 5 x 1 mile at 10k pace - great session and definitely right back into it now.  

Lyrics - easy.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    yeah - great lyric
    Hellos (again) to IM & FL

What - clubnight 7x400s according to the schedule
    Why - hmm , just wondering that myself
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Morning all

What: 90 mins on the bike d&d
    Swimming later
    Circuits PM ??
    Why: because I'm worth it
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: June 13th
    Lyrics: .................
  • Afternoon,

Well, my car and my Garmin agreed that it was over 30 degrees when I ran last night at about 6pm.  And I'm sorry, but that's just not sensible.  I ran really slowly and with only one aim - to not overheat.  Just about managed it.

Today's run will be later on, at about 7pm, so I hope it might be slightly cooler.  But I'm not sure it will be.

Take care out there!

• Morning all,

thanks for the welcome backs! It's nice to 'see' everyone.

Mava sorry about the insomnia - I had a bout of that last year. Does your job let you take an afternoon nap? 

TT, I'm in awe of your mileage. I'm trying to be sensible in building mine up so I don't get hurt.

SGQ I find that it is possible to run in the heat, but I slow down up to 1-2 mins per mile. Think about maintaining the effort rather than the pace. And take a drink with salts in.

What: 3M d&d before breakfast, starting slow and getting faster as my legs warmed up
    Why: easing back in
    Last hard: Sat
    Last rest: Mon

Good runnings all!

• A'noon peeps.

What: 4.5M Steady in the early morning warmth !

Left my shoes out overnight and they were absolutely soaking when I put them on. Must have been pouring at one stage during the night.

Nice to see some 'old faces' posting again.

Lyrics: No

Have a good one.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Paddy - it's down to me to hold myself back, but I'm happy with how I'm doing so far in that respect. Most of the holding back is being done on pace, rather than miles. lol @ the in-law. Had the same happen when my brother got married to a KK woman. Thought it was going to get ugly. Only in Ireland would you have a chant-off with people grabbing county colours at the end of a wedding evening!!! 5 x 1m @ 10k pace btw? Nice!

IM - I've always been a bit lucky in terms of being able to do a few miles. No idea why, but it comes in handy image

As it's the end of the month, the scores on the doors are:

Miles: 299
    Pace: 7:02m/m
    Rest Days: 13!!! (though in fairness 8 of those were in Cuba)!
    Races: 1 - leg 9 of the Ridgeway Relay as part of the winning team image

• mavamava ✭✭✭

afternoon all.

Thanks all for comments on the insomnia.  It's something I get in phases.  I'll be nodding off on the sofa at around 6.30pm and then wide awake and  bouncing around by 9pm.  I then just can't switch my brain off.  Piriton didn't work last night, but still left me feeling like a zombie this morning until about 11am.  Yes Paddy, a drink or three would do it but I just can't hack boozing, getting up early to run and working for a living!  When I was 25 maybe, but not anymore!

Hypnosis might be an idea TT.  I'll look into it.

As for training...

What: 3.3 miles which felt like a marthon - I felt dreadful.  One of my worst runs for ages
    Why: just keeping it going
    Last hard: everything
    Last rest: 16 Feb

I was sorely tempted not to run today but I didn't want to break my streak - sheer bloodymindedness got me out there. 

Enjoy the rest of the day.

• Virgil_Virgil_ ✭✭✭

Hi all.

If it's a lurkers' amnesty I'll venture to post!

I've tended not to contribute much in the past as the RW website runs really slow on my computer. It's just too frustrating waiting an age for each page to load. I can't seem to find a 'low graphics' or ad-free option.

Looks like school holidays are having an effect on the number of posts on the daily training thread.

I'm currently getting back into racing after around 9 months of off/on again training, predominantly as a result of the ups and downs that a one year old child brings. I managed to do a 10K 2 weeks ago and a half marathon last weekend.

Today was a 9.5 mile run at just below LT pace. A leaf out of the Hadd book.

Loving the heat though!

Lyrics - oh yes.

Happy running all.

• Mava - Yeah, it'll destroy your running, probably get you sacked but at least you'll sleep at night!image
  • Afternoon all,

Welcome back de-lurkers.

Mava:  There's one perfect cure for insomnia - 100mpw image

I'm not sure if the marathon gods were with me or against me today.  I'd just talked myself out of the LT phase of my session due to the heat, when a guy I know went by in the opposite direction and decided to turn around and join me.   As he's a bit of a star, that put paid to my decision for an easy run image  ( TT, it was CD ).  

Hating this heat - tomorrow's long run may be an early start.

• What:  12m with 5m @ LT pace
    • Why:  Try and find a few FT fibres
    • Last Hard:  Thursday
    • Last Rest:  15/5

June Numbers:  420m, Avg Pace 6:52, No Rest, 1 Race. 

Have a good one!

• Afternoon All

• What:  6 or so with club
      Why:  Its a tuesday 
    • Last Hard:  Saturday
    • Last Rest:  Sunday and Monday
    • Lyrics : Yep

June Numbers:  373m, Avg Pace not sure , Rest days a few to many still, 2 Maras and couple of 10K's.

Biggest month ever by around 135M image 

• Afternoon all

Very tempted to slack off the run today due to the heat but,

What: 11miles easy very early am, 75km bike pm
    Why: base building
    Last hard: June 14th
    Last rest: Friday

and yes to the Lyrics

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Afternoon, or is it evening yet?

What: only about ten minutes steady
    Why: still struggling post neck procedure last Tuesday. Saw consultant today and he was shocked at the black, blue and yellow state of my neck. He believes that this and the associated pain are because the injections have damaged small veins: he said that the only time he has seen this before was in a text book! I have to phone him in 48 hours if there has been no improvement. 

Lasst hard: Last Tuesday's neck injections
    Last rest: Dec 24

Lyrics: no 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • mavamava ✭✭✭

evening.

alehouse - sorry you're still suffering.  Hope it sorts out soon.

AF - I'm sure 100 mile weeks would help me sleep but I'd have no time to do anything other than run and sleep image

June totals:

Miles: 161 (second highest ever  - well since Nov 2006 anyway)
    Rest days: nil

Won't talk about av pace but it  was slow

1 race and that was a PW. 

Edit:
    And that month takes me to 822 miles for the first 6 months of the year.
    Rest days in 6 months: 10 (8 of those were sick days)

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings all, and welcome back Virgil

What - 8 hot m round the cycle paths of Swindon at Lunch
    Why - Time to fit in
    Last Hard - Yesterday
    Last Rest - Fri

Jun Stats

176.33m
    2 x 5K Races and 1 PB a Sub 18 at 17:59
    1 x 5000m Track race
    1 x Slow Half

Take care

• Evening all 

AF, I actually find if I run too many miles I can't get to sleep

alehouse, hope you feel better soon. Have you got anything to use for the bruising eg arnica, witch hazel, or we have some nice Chinese concoctions

What: didn't managed to get out for a lunchtime run, but later:  hurdle drills;  12.5ml inc 3.2ml Marathon Effort; 5x 800m;  1.6ml ME; c 40mins discus practice
    Why;  regular Tuesday training
    I say Marathon effort, rather than pace, cos pace seems to have gone awol, probably since my 'cold-like thing' . I can't seem to get my HR up properly, whereas in the heat you'd have thought it would be higher than normal.  Perhaps something about my breathing being affected so percieved exertion is higher, or else post-viral, but that again I would have thought would have led to higher than usual HR ????

June stats;

Total miles: 303 (surprised that I managed over 300, cos I thought I had a pretty low mileage month image
    Races: 1 road, 1 track
    Rest Days: 3

• TippTop Doh indeed. That's quite some ask for a man who is still basically recovering from illness.

Joe Congratulations on highest mileage month. You too Mava.

alehouse Crikey that all sounds rather grim.
    TMR and that all sounds like hard work, whatever your HR was doing.

As for me, back down to the seaside this afternoon after ten days in London. Nice and hot at track tonight with just the top bend completely in shade by the time we finished.

All of us on the same session, with the girls and codgers setting off a few seconds earlier. Very busy in lane 1 tonight, what with the middle distance gang and their endless laps, and groups off assorted children with very assorted speeds, so it was a bit of a free for all.

Pyramid of 160 -180 - 200 - 180 - 160, with 6 minute walk recoveries. Pretty much all out. Most people found it quite tough.

I kept worrying that I looked like I'd swallowed a football (combination of not much short tight lycra plus large undigested lunch. Was it the bottle of pop I had on the train wot done it?) But apart from that the session was good.

On the 200 I passed C. and held the lead. I've never done that before. On the next rep - 180 - I kept up with her but it was hard work, (yeah like the 200 I'd just run wasn't?) she noticed and said - "you're tensing your arms - relax them" This was really nice and helpful especially considering the previous rep. I thanked her later and she explained to our coach that I DID relax - and instantly speeded up as a result so she almost regretted saying it.

Lost a bit of speed on the final 160, couldn't keep up with C. although I tried to keep it relaxed. I was pretty much done for by then.

Even did the cool down jog lap. There's dedication.
  • oh, loads of returners

I did my mileage target of 185 miles in June(i have to beat any previous  month and in 2006, when I was off work and doing 6 miles a day, i had an ultra, a marathon and a half in June)

Only 44 racing miles this month, so I am pleased in one way, but didnt enjoy doing 25 miles in 4 portions over the last 36 hours

Just cant do long in training-I need to race it

• alehouse--------ouch

hope you sort soon

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Sharkie: excellent 400 metre runner's session. image
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.