Options

heal pain

I've just run the Risborough 10k, and now have an aching pain in my heal. Which hurts when I walk. the pain is more under the heal than at the back, but it does hurt at the back if I push it. Does anyone know what might be causing the pain, and is it ok to run.  

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like Achilles Tendon Bursits
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Or plantar fasciitis, if the pain is beneath the heel. Either way, the answer is not to run on it!
  • Options
    Thanks for the answers, I've still got av runners world mag with PF in it . Wots achilles tendon bursits.
  • Options

Either way, the answer is not to run on it!

Hm, don't know about that. I have had several bouts of PF and have never been told not to run.

Either way, if it persists you'll need to see a podiatrist.

• Options

1 get it diagnosed correctly

2 follow the instructions for recovery

3 all SHOULD be wellimage

• Options

Thanks, for the help so far.  I've been iceing my heal too see if that would help.. But now the whole of the back of my lower leg and back of my knee aches. And I felt like my knee was going to give out on me earlier. Any more ideas as to the problem and how to treat it.  

• Options

Dear all,

Plantar fasciitis is caused by microtearing of this thick non-elastic band of tissue (planar fascia) from its origin on the Os calcis (heel bone). The symptoms include pain under the heel.  The pain is often worst first thing in the morning because the foot has been in a relaxed position and the tear has been healing in a shortened position. Walking on it in the morning streatches it back up pulling on the inflammed torn bit. 

There is often the development of an associated bony spur from the Os calcis above where the tear has occured. It is not the cause of the problem or the origin of it but an associated phenomenon where the periosteum (skin surrounding the bone) of the Os Calcis has lifted and bone has formed beneath it.

The diagnosis is made from the history and examination. If a differential diagnosis is considered then useful investigations include x-ray or MRI scan.

In the vast majority of cases the condition can be treated conservatively with a good physiotherapist advising on stretching exercises, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, heel cups, medial arch supports, Dorsiwedge night splints and occasionally the Aircast Air Heel.

Resistent cases can try Dolorclast (lithotripsy) or injection of local anaesthetic and cortisone.

I hope this advice helps.

John Hardy

• Options

I reckon John is correct, I had exactly that last year. Mine was caused by running in the wrong trainers. I had to concentrate on stretching all the muscles in my foot everyday and had to use one of these foot massagers :

http://www.drfoot.co.uk/acatalog/Heel_Pain_Massager_Roll.html

A heel spur develops (this is what is causing you the pain) as a result of the damaged plantar tissue. The roller helps 'file' it down. I also had to stretch all the foot muscles everyday too. It took months to get mine better so my advice is to get seen to asap. I didn't run for a long time for fear of making the heel spur worse.

Kev