Dehydration

2»

Comments

• Nam

i had to laugh

as i am one of those wippets

• Well that's great for you Mick, but I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of someone who is 2 stone overweight, sweating buckets on a hot day, struggling to put one foot in front of the other and struggling through 5k feeling parched and is then told "you shouldn't need water under 20 miles"...  I mean you'd just feel shit wouldn't you.  It's just not helpful.
  • Brad

i don't like saying this bUT

you said, " i did a stupid thing today "

IF you did set out without a good build up of fluid in your system, then yes i think it was stupid

but a hydrated body, can take far more than one thinks -

the part though of the pyschological factor of running, is it keeps the mind positive and relaxed , - a negative mind when thirsty surves no perpose at all

i know people who say running is just about putting one foot in front of the other- and  to me that is the biggest pile of rubbish i've ever heard, you have to build up to it  as with the mileage  

• Nam

How are you - hope i did'nt offend

i meant it in the nicest possible way

i would NEVER dream of laughing at anyone, you should know that

i try to help and advise people on here, at the club, and when people who know me ask me in the street and in the supermarket etc

i cannot help anyone else's comments -

For those who don't know me, i've been at this game longer than most, for many, you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink - oops - ( sorry )

• I never run with a drink, but the longest run ive done is about 11 miles (im building up, used to be an 800m track runner, started long distance running in September). However, i do always ensure im hydrated every day and drink before i run.

I agree that it is down to the individual, we are all made differently so some people will have different preferences and needs to others.

• micknphil-marathonlads.com wrote (see)

Nam

How are you - hope i did'nt offend

Nooooo not at all.  I'm well thank you Mick.  IMCH next weekend.  It'll take me all day.  I'll be drinking lots.  LOL image
  • As a lot of you have said the problem for me was that I went out knowing that I was not properly hydrated.I had a couple of beers on saturday night and woke up during the night with a proper dry throat (alcohol induced) I am sure you all know what i mean.Anyway i basicaly drank 1 glass of water as soon as i woke up and then went out for my run.I regulary train upto 6 miles without taking any fluids.The problem today was that I ran out from home 3 miles and then had to take the decision to either turn back or run a loop which i have never run before.I ran the loop which ended up been a total of 11 miles.It was too far for me without water in that heat I really had to dig deep phsycologicaly to do it. Scary territory to be in and a lesson learned.
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

There are so many variables.
    Normally I don't carry a drink when I run regardless of distance. However I always grab a cup or bottle or sponge when I race.
    Strange thing is, when I race I should be better hydrated than when I just go for a run as I haven't just cycled 15 miles. Yet I always feel worse in a race.

No point in carrying money for a drink if I need it, I don't pass any shops.

• yeah well you go faster in a race

• Good Morning to all
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Plodding Hippo wrote (see)

yeah well you go faster in a race

eh - I'm doing something wrong there then. I just seem to go slower and slower when I race. image
  • Ha i'm with you Bikermouse lol!

Nam- i am 3 stoen over weight and very much a plodder!

• Stick with it mate. You're doing well.  image
  • I would usually run for up to an hour without taking a drink with me, however if it is hot I would reduce that to half an hour.  Hydration is a totally personal matter and it's all about being in tune with your body and what it needs.  If in doubt, take some liquid with you.

Also, don't be afraid of doing what I did yesterday when I accidentally overextended my run during a hot lunch hour and had drunk all of my 300ml water.  Seeing an inviting pub on the King's Road, I dashed in, sadly not for a refreshing pint, but to ask the kindly barman if he would mind putting some of London's finest tap water into my now empty bottle!

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭

I think it depends on how well you keep yourself hydrated and the weather conditions. But for someone that sips all the time I manage to run for and hour and half without water. But obviously I drink well during the day and also after. I have tried to get into the habit of not drinking on a run and it seems fine now, but at first I had a bladder ruck sack, not so comfy at first but you get used to it.

I ran 11 miles last night and all I did for water was face the sky and open my mouth, bloody weather.

• touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    I don't normally drink when i am running but I have been taking a small bottle with me over the summer, more to stop the dry mouth and to tip on my face than for hydration though (but I always seen to run in the midday sun image) In cooler weather as long as you are well hydrated before I think a couple of hours running without a drink is manageable!
  • I would like to drink on long runs ( up to 13 miles so far) but I get a stitch so generally give it a miss- unless of course anybody knows of another way to avoid a stitch. I dont think I need to drink though - so maybe for the half I will give it a miss. Worried about the marathon though??

• I'll take a drink now for anything over 5km when training, but only as the camelbak racepak feels like I'm not carrying one.

I overcook and dry out really quickly, I'm loving that the weather has been cool.

Although if it's a 10k race now I'll skip the water station unless it's hot