What are my chances of being good.

Hi, I was just wondering about my chances of being a good runner.

Is being a good running determined at birth or can anyone train themselves to be extremely fit.

I really want to win a race but don't seem to be improving at a good rate, do some people improve better than other?

Comments

• A little from column A, a little from column B.

Obviously training goes a long way, but there is something genetic in it too (IMO).

• Im 16 btw I though I might add.

I also want to run another marathon when im 18, I would just love to do it and think it would be fantastic. And I too young for it?

Thanks
  • Another marathon? I thought you had to be 18 to run a marathon.
  • Oh yeah sorry, that was my mistake. I meant to say a Marathon when I am 18.
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Anyone can train themselves to be extremely fit. IF you are of a heavier build than average things will be more difficult than if you were 5ft 8in, and slim.

Very few people win races, thats not to say you couldnt.

There are no short cuts when it comes to running...no magic pills/potions or anything (well not available to most runners)....it is hard work.

You have to be 18 to run a marathon as Dan says.

As you are only 16 be careful not to do too much too soon and injur yourself. Join a local athletics club perhaps as they can guide you. Most towns/cities have several.

• I have joined a running club in my city, I train with them 2 times a week and run 2 times myself.

So how long does it take roughly for someone to train to win a race?
  • Young man.  why dont you build up to it!  try a few races say from 5k to 5 miles, your only 16 and have years of improvement ahead of you.    to win a marathon,  average uk  marathon are won in around 2.30 ish. your looking at training 70 + miles a week!! 

when i was your age i raced over 5k to 10k and gained alot of speed.  5k pb of 15.32.  5 mile pb. 26.19.once you have finished growing and your body has gained strength then perhaps look at moving up to the half marathon when your 19/20.  good luck with your training...

• One of the things I love about running is a lot of it is about the "Try" factor, rather than natural skill.

I am a crap dancer. Try as I might, I'm still a crap dancer.

With running, the more I run, the fitter I get, the better I run. I'll never be great, but one day I might be good.

Be careful tho, as said above: my OH ran for miles on a daily basis from when he was 15, wrecked his developing joints and bones, and now can't run at all. Repeat - at all. And it drives him crazy.

• Take up steeplechase?

Not many people do that so if you ARE talented you might be able to win races there?

• Emmma wrote (see)

One of the things I love about running is a lot of it is about the "Try" factor, rather than natural skill.

I am a crap dancer. Try as I might, I'm still a crap dancer.

With running, the more I run, the fitter I get, the better I run. I'll never be great, but one day I might be good.

Very nicely put, Emma.
  • absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to 'be good' or wanting to win a race, however first of all you are better off just trying to improve.

You've done the right thing by joining a club. If you can stick with it, keep training consistently then you will, over time, get fitter and faster. You are still young. Be patient.

As for the marathon, most people I'm sure would advise against it. If you simply want to complete it then maybe - but if you want to fulfil your potential as a runner then I'd delay the marathon for a good few years.
  • Have you considered cross-country? Great for your age, fast paced relatively short distances.

Be patient on building up the distance, I ran my first Marathon when I was nineteen. Did three in one season and knackered my knees.

I admire your ambition but work at it steadily and concentrate on achievable goals without sustaining injury.

• I seriously mega want to do cross-country however i don't have an idea where to start.

The most i've ever ran is 10k and all the races i've entered have been on the runners world website.

I really want to enter some cross country races but where can I find them?
  • Your local club should get you into the local XC league where they will have proper age group races too. Once you are 17 you get to race the senior men at XC which can be a big jump up.

• What about local cross country races? Is there anywhere I can find them?