Are you a Waver

Comments

• I find it really uplifting when people smile/wave or generally acknowledge me when I'm out running and I have started reciprocating; because been relatively new to running I was rather shy and felt rather unsure of the protocol. On the whole I like it and I'd like to think that people on the receiving end of my friendly wave/nod/smile,  feel cheered up and pass on the good feeling to others. 

There doesn't have to be any serious reason for starting an article or thread about  "waving" and it is good to share personal experiences such as this one, because whether we admit it or not everybody appreciates a "pat on the back" to say well done; it doesn't make us any less human. 

On the otherhand if other runners don't say hello/nod/wave/smile it doesn't matter either, but it is nicer  to have the friendly wave/nod/smileimage 

• I'm a waver (or say good morning if its a long slow run) and living on a small friendly island, the vast majority of people I see when I'm out plodding respond.

To pick up  on the points about saying good morning, I was amazed that last August, when I went back to my parents home in the SouthWest of England and went for a little 5 mile run at 7.30 on a weekday morning. I was AMAZED by the look of terror on the faces of people, runners or not, when I greated them with a (cheery) good morning ! The didn't know whether to respond or treat me like a nutter and just ignore me. Has the average person in the UK forgotten how to be friendly ? 

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Heh, I was out running recently along a towpath and encountered a teenage lad. I thought he asked or said something as I went past so stopped, turned to him and went "did you say something, mate?" Maybe he was wanting directions or something. He fair jumped out of his skin and nervously said no, nothing, it's alright ...

I carried on and when I saw my reflection in a car window realised why. Shaven head, red face, grimace and a large throbbing vein across my temple ... poor kid probably thought I was well 'ard and trying to pick a fight with him. But I'm a pussycat really!

• Definitely a waver!

try to judge whether the fellow runner is a waver or not by trying to get eye contact way before they pass. If they are seriously keeping their focus staring straight ahead I will then not always bother. Most of the time I make effort anyway, say hi, or smile, in the hope that I dont feel like an idiot.

• And I like to say hi to non-runners as well. Walkers, cyclist, elderly people...
  • Me too Turbo,

I'm one of those annoying people who says hello to everyone when I'm runningimage

if they don't aknowledge me in return, ...................  there loss not mine

• Nice TOTP

No one has a clue what stick that is image
  • Naw TOTP = Top Of The Page

But that has nothing to do with a grumpy old man smacking peeps with his walking stick

Unless it's made of Johnny Walker
  • early morning women running always seem to ignore me.

Women - do you feel slightly threatened by male runners as its quiet at 6am? just wondered......

• Because you have that kind of face

It's scary!!
  • .....putting my shorts on helps too.....
  • Well I would smile at a bloke with no shorts on image

I would probably run with him too
  • Quelle suprise is what I think the French say image
  • As long as it's not "quelle blague" imageimageimage
  • WOWEEEE is what the South African's say image
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    So D2D are you a waver or not?
  • I'm a waver, and I usually say "mornin" or some other greeting image

I did a non-scientific survey of the folks I passed on my last long run (Sunday 6am) 

Set myself the challenge of saying "Hello" to everyone I passed or who passed me.  Managed to get a response from 27 of the 31 folks I saw, including cyclists, runners, dog walkers, and a guy in a tux at 6:30am image

From my short survey the friendliest are the elderly male dog walkers.  The folks who didn't respond included a youth with a very black eye (who obviously wasn't in the mood for chatting), a guy who looked at me like I was from another planet when I said hello, and a 'larger lady' who scowled at me when I spoke to her - maybe the sight of me all red faced, but cheerful, running up a hill wasn't to her taste.

All of the runners made some kind of acknowledgement, whether it be a nod, wave, hello or a return "morning", and the poor fella who looked like he was out for an early morning torture session who asked "Why the hell do we put ourselves through this" image

• Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

early morning women running always seem to ignore me.

Women - do you feel slightly threatened by male runners as its quiet at 6am? just wondered......

It crosses my mind if I'm somewhere that's remote / quiet particularly.  Also on runs later in the evening too, when it's dark in winter.  But I don't feel 'threatened'. usually.  I find most blokes in those situations (where I'm a single female running) appear to make an effort to not be threatening - overtaking or running past as wide as possible for example.  I always appreciate the fact that they are aware that they might appear to be threatening (or on the other hand, they're scared of me and are giving me a wide berth image).  I have been scared shitless on a couple of rare occassions by blokes suddenly appearing or running at a similar pace behind me (so not overtaking) when I have thought "shit shit shit shit shit".  Then they've overtaken me or turned off and I feel stupid.

Generally I find runners and dog walkers less threatening than people who appear to be there for no reason.  Probably illogical.

But most of all, whilst I think I'm sensible, I try not to change my behaviour based on scare stories in the news about how everyone out there is an axe murderer!
  • Oh, but on the other hand, my hubby gets jittery if I go running before 8am or after 6pm without a chaperone!
  • I don't feel threatened at all when I'm running early morning, was bizarre seeing the guy in the tuxedo, but hey, folks are strange.

• I'd love my hubby to come running with me - he's taken the first step and bought some trainers, but I've yet to get him out there. 
  • Claire only in reverse, ex-larger laydee getting skinny image
  • Maybe spend your £3 on 2 euromillions tickets? £36 million, and you have 35 mins left to spend it!