Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Shades - I hae some lucazade (well tescos) sport drinks too. Usually stick to squash though. As for variety well i was struggling to eat last time so for now sticking to stuff i actually like and eat would be an idea. It is still only my 2nd track race so there is plenty of time to learn whats suitable for me. That and if i was doing a non lap based long race (like the Devon 100) i might struggle if i have half a supermarkets worth of food in my bag. I imagine for these point to point long races you'd use high energy/low volume foods things like peanuts and marzipan (hmm thats a thought image) to pack the cals into a small space.
  • Options

Flossie - Enjoy the lollypopimage

Sluggie - (((Poor you)))  Did you have goggles on?
    So which part of the horse did you get? back end? *snigger*

• Options

Clag - That's what we do, conditioner and lots of it and comb through every time.
    Yes, it was a bit embarrassing and annoying  but funny at the same time. At least I know my hairdresser. It would of been awful if it was my first visit image
    Anyway I bet my nits are faster than anyone elses image

• Options

VR, yes I did have the goggles on, so don't understand it, but I suppose its easy to scratch your eye and then I did wash the goggles out with lake water to stop them fogging up.

I too have wondered which bit of the horse I have, probably the pooey end!

Marzipan, yesimage! I specially like the chocolate covered ones you can get from German shops, or at Christmas, but it's hard to find in the summer 

• Options
    VR - one of my nightmares that - the hairdresser finding the nits! Thankfully not happened to me, but I have had nits (not sure if it was my children, or school children who infected me) and the older two children have both had a couple of infections. Last time I found them in Miss DGs hair it was the morning of ballet and it was a race against the clock to treat, partition and comb through all her long hair before she went out. Its a right pain in the neck. Although youngest put it in perspective when he asked "Can you die of nits?"

Sluggie - Hope the eye heals quickly, sounds nasty. *note to self - another good excuse not to do OW swims!*

Keith - Good luck for your race and hope the food strategy works out.
  • Options
    Cool, Sat Nav says 3 hours to Scunthorpe so it'll be a little less on the way home. Plenty of time to get home before work on Monday then image
  • Options

Sluggie - poor you!  Hope eye heals quickly.  Enjoy the horse, whatever part you've rented.  image

VR - finished lollipop - nice.  image  Nit races!!!  Hah!  image

Keith - safe trip and have fun.  Know you'll do well.  image

Just got back from running 3.24 miles in 40 mins at 74% HRM - 12:20 mm.  Happy with that - probably bit faster than normal, but still OK.  image

• Options

Keith - Fudge is a good one high sugar and small.

Good luck you mad thing image

• Options
    well tbh i wasn't amused to wake up for a toilet break last night to find my right calf camped solid but the aches from that will vanish soon enough. No running since saturday means i'm rested and i delibratly went back to bed when i woke at 5:30
  • Options
    VR - Its also relatively expensive and also highly liable to early consumption image I did find some KM the other day cleaning so i have a large bar of that too. Can probably aquire more KMC and sme fudge in transit somewhere. Leave around 2 and i'll be in Scunthorpe 5ish so plenty of time to go find a supermarket image
  • Options

Sluggie - an bento box is used for carrying food on the cross bar of your bike. Sorry to hear about your eye and that you might not be able to support your friend, I had a similar thing happen last year when I was supporting a friend on the Hardmoors 110, injured myself a week or so before and wasn't supposed to run but managed about 22 miles with her in the end - as it was x-country and run walking no real harm done but the thought of letting her down, even though it was out of my control etc was very difficult. Fingers crossed you'll be ok. I keep resisting the invitation to ride or share horses - no time.

Flossie - your running is really coming on. Are you keeping up the swimming? Good for the ITB.

Nits - yuck. The advantage of no children has so far been no nits - amongst others image

Finished placement. About to walk Grace and then head out for a little run in the sunshine.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    DG wrote (see)
    Although youngest put it in perspective when he asked "Can you die of nits?"

LOL at that! Kids eh? Youngest Miss LB asked me what a condom was after seeing a machine on the wall in The Home Show last night. My strategy for telling the truth when asked a direct question doesn't seem to be working......

"It's like a glove for a willy" I said (whilst wondering WHY I'd said that)image

*youngest Miss LB nodded solemnly* "I bet they do get cold"image

I will employ my parent's tactic next time of "I'll tell you when you're 21!"image

• Options

Sluggie - awful news about your eye image

Shades - glad you've not lost the plot and started randomly hacking at your carpet!image

LMH - no children (so far) ? image Cluck cluck? image

*runs away*

• Options

LB - Glove for a willy! LOL!

Peeps,dont forget to watch TDF highlights. Its a good one image

• Options

VR - I really didn't mean to tell her it was a glove for a willy - it just slipped out of my mouth before I had chance to stop it! image

I expect the knock at the door from Social Services soon...image

• Options

I'm far too old to even think about it now LB - besides when would I find the time to train?

VR - we record it every day and have about 4 hours to get through of an evening - not easy with my early bedtimes! It's been a great tour so far hasn't it?

• Options

Good point LMH! Watch this space for whinging in the next few weeks about the little buggers being off school and interfering with my training! image

Mr LB is watching the tour too. I just like looking at the bikes...image

• Options
    hope to...hope to... ✭✭✭

LB  said   - It just slipped out of my mouth before I had chance to stop it!

Had to read that twice.  Still have a very nasty image in my head. image

• Options

LMH - well done on finishing placement.  Enjoy walk with Grace and the run.  If swimming's good for ITB, am doing it on "rest day" tomorrow.  Thanks very much for that tip.  You're not secretly trying to turn me into a triathlete are you?  imageimage

LB - classic: "glove for a willy" LOL.  When Flossette was 6, she had a really bad bout of veruccas on her foot and we took her along to the Dr, who asked her how she was and what she could for Flossette.  Flossette took off her shoe and sock and said to the Dr:  "I need something to get rid of these vultures, please!"  It's funny how kids pick up words and then get them wrong - really tickled the Doc that did.  image

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

Little Miss - Well done on finishing your placement.

Little Miss / VR - Thanks for finding the bento box (although I would prefer one with a more recognised brand name (aren't I a label tart! image), however if there is nothing else available - and it is on reduction, it will have to do!).  I am loving the Le Grand Boucle* too.  Sadly I only have Freeview, so only get the 1hr (littered with adverts) highlights each night.  I thought it would kick off on the first HC* climb of the day.  Please don't spoil it for me.  I'm about to take the kids to the park and then we're going to watch the cycling.  Little Mr Bump was most concerned about Tom Boonen's crash yesterday.

Liverbird / Flossie - Same here.  If a child has head lice a letter is sent to the whole class.  however, some parents don't bother treating the lice.  image

((((Sluggie)))) - You have just reminded me why I don't need to do a triathlon which involves open water!

HTF - Yes, I had to read Liverbird's post twice as well, just to clarify what exactly it was that had slipped out of her mouth!  image

-------------------------

(* For LB & DG, and any others who might be interested image

Le Grand Boucle - a nickname for the Tour de France.

HC - Hors-Categorie.  In English: Beyond-Categorisation.  The major hills in the Tour de France are categorised for difficulty starting with 4 for the "easiest" climbs, 3, 2 and 1, and then HC which is reserved for the longest/steepest mountain passes.  For example, the Col du Galibier in the Alps is an HC climb.  2645m high, 18.1km at an average gradient of 7%, with the steepest section at 10% gradient.  However, if you go to Galibier via the Col du Télégraphe, which is the route Le Tour may take, it means the whole climb is 34.8km long at an average gradient of 6%.  Think about that.  23 miles of climbing a 1 in 17 hill!  image

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

I had a brilliant run today.  6.2 miles at <70%WHR for 8:46/mile!!  Woo-hoo!  imageimageimage.  It felt really good and was the best run I've had in ages.  In fact, my time of 54:24 is very close to the time I got in my first ever 10K, over 6 years ago.  That was racing.  Now, 54:24 is an easy run. 

Sorry, getting a bit carried away.  image

I hope you don't think I'm belittling the efforts of those who struggle to get below 1 hour for 10K in a race - I'm not, it's just a personal incredibly satisfying feeling when a run just comes together like that.

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭
    Liverbird - Fantastic, LOL!  "Glove for a willy"!
  • Options

Great running Mr B. The cycling will be helping you to progress on so (relatively) little running I'm sure. I can't believe you'd rather pay more for a bento box with a different brand name - you're as bad as that Liverbird!

Flossie - I read it so it must be true! Stretches the ITB apparently.

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭
    Little Miss - I'm only like this when it comes to sports equipment!  image  Anyway, as for the running, just 2 runs a week totalling 12.2 miles, yet I seem to be making progress.  However, all will come to an end at some point in the next 18 weeks as that is my waiting list time for my operation.  image
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

(((Sluggie)))

Hope the eye gets better soon.

Keith,

Good luck for Hull if you've not already left.

LB,

LOL at your answer to youngest Miss LB.

Mr Bump,

Well done.  For that to be an easy run you've made a huge amount of progress.

• Options
    evening all! That's us just back from the stadium. Tent pitched cos the forecast's for rain. All the drinks are mixed up but i'm not printing our food list as it puts keiths to shame. Just need to get the clothes ready and try and sleep, eeek!
    Keith, look forward to meeting you tomorrow.
    Hope all the injured recover soon, the racers have good one and those training, enjoy!
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mrs Mac,

Good luck.

• Options

Mrs Mac - thinking of you.  Very best wishes to everyone.  image

Mr Bump - lovely to hear you sound so happy after a run.  Crosstraining is definitely working and it will after the operation once you've come through physiotherapy.  Be patient, it will all come together as and when you're ready and it isn't a race to get back.  Little steps - great gains - a lesson I've had to learn.  image

Good luck to all racers, ultra's, those training and everybody.  image

Off to bed now.  Nite nite.  image

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭
    Flossie - There won't be physio - it's internal.
  • Options
    Mr Bump - *gets up again to play on computer* - will you have to rest like LB did for a little while?