Races in training schedules

I am more or less keeping pace with the get you round half marathon schedules, aiming at the Waterbeach half, 20 Oct. The schedule includes various races, including a 10K this weekend.

Why? Is the purpose to get used to wearing a number on my front and queueing for the loos? To get speed up through being inspired by the crowd?

Well, in practice, a 10K this weekend is out - there are none within striking distance. But there is a local 10K the week before the half, just as recommended in the schedule.

Do I enter it? If it's only for the purpose of going a bit faster maybe it's not a good idea. I'm morbidly afraid of breaking myself.

Advice? (Actually, I'd very much like to do the run, as it's right on my doorstep, but...)

Marj

Comments

• GlennGlenn ✭✭✭
    Are you talking about the Wildlife Trust 10k Marj? If so I'll be there myself.

Maybe one of the more techi people can answer your training question but the good thing about the WT from my point of view is that it seems to attract some slower runners so I won't feel too embarassed.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Hi Stickless,

I'm training for a 1/2 too, but in Sept. As part of my training I've been entering a few 10ks just to get used to the race experience of running with a crowd and gauging the right speed for me (which I haven't yet mastered).

I don't think it's a good idea to do one the week before your 1/2 though, unless you just treat it as a training run and don't go flat out. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Glenn- yup, that's the one. I'm very tempted, but the real thing is the half the following week.

If I run it, you won't be last! Marj
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I always get very nervous before a race, but I do find that the more I do, the less nervous I get. For the first race of the year (half marathon in March) I'm usually a nervous wreck, but by Glasgow on 8/9/02 I'll have done 4 other races, and will be more settled at the start line.

So, yes, getting used to wearing a number and queueing for the loos is pretty much part of it, as is knowing just how many times you will want to go to the loo before the race, how your carefully tied laces are suddenly too loose/tight 2 minutes before the start and the dilemma you have as to whether to retie them, how far back in the pack to start, how many miles it takes you to settle into relaxed runnning, etc., etc., etc.

Give it a go, it will help you feel more at home on the "Big Day"
  • I think races are included in training schedules to get you used to race stress, running with other people and also to get your body used to going at a racing pace.

I just try to race when I can and where it's appropriate, rather than trying to stick to the schedule excatly. How often do races coincide with the schedule?!

Still, it's nice to do a few races, especially if you're running out of t-shirts to wear in bed/for decorating/for cleaning the car. Or you fancy a medal, or some dodgy memento (a mug with the logo of the prison service on it? don't ask!!)
  • The 10k I am doing this week end is purely in preparation for next weeks Tri – I find including 10k races in with my training help hone my speed (what little I have) and help prepare my body to the all out pain of a major race – along with the side effect of helping improve my LT.

Will
  • Races are included in training schedules, because most people will do completely different things in races to that which they do in training.

Certainly nerves is a major thing and the impact that that has on your bowels! But also getting used to running with a group of people and - for most of us - the feeling that you get after the first mile that all you want to do is stop and go home!

As a build up though, races are vital e.g. if you have in mind a key race, then interim races will give you an indication as to how well prepared you are, in terms of pace particularly e.g. we can all estimate our training distances (wrongly!) but a race will usually be accurately measured. In addition, the vast majority of people run faster in a race than they could ever dream possible in training - why? Tapering, adrenaline, pacing lots of reasons all of which are important to know.

Racing is fun - go on, go on, go on.
  • Hi Stickless. I've posted my entry for the Waterbeach. I won't be doing any races before hand except for the Road Relays up at Sutton Park (anyone else going to be there 28th Sept?) and the cross country league matches which start in early October - but i don't count them as races. They are hard training runs.
    See you at Waterbeach and good luck with the training.