corneal abrasion and infection

About 10 days ago while open water swimming I managed somehow to scratch my cornea (odd, as I was wearing goggles, maybe it happened when putting them on?). Anyway, that night I ended up in A and E with a very poorly eye. Doc said it was badly scratched and infected (apparently infection sets in quickly when you soak your head in a soup of green slime!). A week of antibiotic eye drops later it feels fine. But I forgot to ask A and E doc how long before I go back to swimming...anyone out there with any knowledge of this?

Comments

• M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Give NHS Direct a call.  They should be able to help.
  • tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭
    Probably when the corneal surface has re- grown properly- I'm not sure how long that takes- probably depends on size/ depth of abrasion- you may need to get someone to look at your eyes to check that first.
  • Yes Sluggie, get hospital / opticians to check healing with special light thingy.

I had a corneal abrasion at the 12 o'clock part of my eye, hurt like hell, but not infected. Healed quick and there was no trace of it 1 week after I'd done it.

It does depend on size and depth as Tricialitt says - according to my optician even when people get thorns in their eyes image they heal surprisingly quick.

• Thanks guys - optician is a great idea, will call today. Tried NHS direct, but their recorded message is telling you to go away unless it's dire as they are overwhemed with swine flu!
  • They heal quickly but apparently it's quite common to get recurrences even if you don't actually poke yourself in the eye again - Recurrent Corneal Erosion Syndrome.  I had this after an initial poke in the eye with a twig (from a branch overhanging the pavement) and havign healed it would suddenly be back to square one again - apparently in some cases the cells don't heal over properly and can get pulled off again  really easily - in my case it was often when I opened my eyes first thing in the morning.  Hopefully it won't come to that but if it does be prepared to go back
  • erk! Hope yours is OK now? Have appointment with optician on Wednesday for check so hopefully it will be OK for tri on Sunday...
  • Thanks to everyone for advice - in fact managed to see optician today and he pronounced it fine - though he did describe exactly what happened to you Bear as a quite common complication which fortunately I don't have. So ff to stick head in dirty water on Sunday. imageThanks guys...