Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Morning LB! How much longer do you have your guests for?

Mr B - makes the Astana situation seem positively tame.

Flossie - I know nothing about bikes either, I'm learning a little as I go on but am still pretty ignorant.

DG - are you feeling better for the break from work?

HTF - I agree totally about those spectators, I think the riders just ignore them and keep their line but someone will come a cropper one day.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

SiJ - get that entry in for NF half so we can all meet up, VR and I are travelling up the day before so will be up for meeting for dinner with you and Flossie

Mr Bump - great running

PSC - welcome home, our conquering Ironman hero, will read your report at lunchtime.

VR - 6 hour race is this Saturday, will decide tomorrow or Thursday

BBS - good to have you back on the thread

7.36 miles in torrential rain this morning, lovely run, still twinge in achilles but not too bad, it wa a flat course.  Traffic jam at 6.20 in Kingsteignton whilst the roof trusses for our new Lidl's was being delivered, some very unhappy drivers on their way to work having to stop, but I was able to squeeze past...sometimes running is the only way to travelimage

Thanks for all your kind comments re my possible redundancy.   I'm not worrying about it, just being realistic and will deal with it when/if it happens.

• Ever the pragmatist, our leader isn't she? image Even so, if they dare interfere with your running budget by having the balls to let you go Shades, we'll march on them! image

WE'RE THE SHADIES - BE VERY AFRAID!!!!image

LMH - guests till Friday. I'm trying to be calm...........image DG - I may need to let off some steam on the phone later though! image

• LB - have lots of fun at dress rehearsal tonight.  At least you have this distraction tonight and the show tomorrow night and it's only two sleeps until your house guests go.  Glad you're going to a good shop to get some more shoosies.  When are you travelling?  Thanks very much for lovely comments re MTB ride - my heart nearly stopped when overtaken by mega fast road bike because I couldn't hear the bike coming over the High Street traffic.  image

Shades - hope you can still do your 6 hr event, but if not at least you'll be right by NF and looking forward to seeing you all night before.  Am actually starting the training for NF Half - yay!  The Beast at Corfe Castle (7 weeks away) may have to be DNS, but will know nearer the event.  image

LMH - like you am still learning and TBH have been very spoilt in the past by having a man around to sort out the bike, but now am having to learn and that's good.  image

Have now decided to start training for NF Half.  Today the schedule says run, but am going for a swim.  Last time I ran after a long bike ride, the ITB kicked off.  Only need 3 runs per week and will do next one on either Wednesday or Thursday depending upon how it goes after physio appointment tonight.  Long run on Saturday or Sunday - 6 miles.  Not too concerned about this because 60 mins rehab runs are next week, which takes shorter runs up to 5 miles.  Latest weight update is a reduction of 1st 8lbs.  imageimage

• LB - No problem! You can come round if you want, but Mr DG is trying to persuade me to let him buy a new TV and amp (our TV has randomly turned itself off since we bought it and has a big green patch on it and the amp has started emitting a loud electronic hum) so ring first as we may pop out. Good job Miss DG isn't in the same ballet school as your minis - you'd have a fight on your hands!!! (And I'm quite a laid back ballet mum!)

LMH - Yes, much better thanks. Still get annoyed with myself for getting all tensed up about silly little things, but hugely improved. Its just I was always the one who could do everything, and now I can't and I get annoyed at myself for being pathetic!! (But I am learning that I am still doing loads of stuff and I can't do everything!)

Shades - good running in the rain!
  • Flossie - Glad you're running is starting to come together for the half. Brilliant weight loss - well done!!
  • Flossie - echo DG on the weightloss congratulations. Hope it's good news from the physio tonight. I'd certainly stick to mixing up the running/cycling and swimming  keep the ITB guessing!

DG - they don't call depression 'the curse of the strong' for nothing you know and take it from someone who's been there, it comes back and you find yourself fitting in twice as much as you really should/need to cos we forget what made us ill. Early days yet and you seem to be doing plenty from here.

Two hours on the turbo this morning. Now going to make onion, carrot and courgette soup for lunch - it will be less calories than baking (though that may come later as I continue to avoid prepping for the decorating) image

• LMH & DG - thanks very much and yes, it is like a dodgem game round the ITB.  Have been there too and think they called mine stress - confidence went below the floorboards (that I do remember), although was lucky to only have needed counselling and that was bad enough.  Still do far too much at times, but then life would be boring with too much time on your hands.  LMH well done on the turbo - do you watch the telly or something while you're turboing?  *Passes bowl for some yummy soup*.  image
  • ummmm, yummy scrummy soup indeed!

Flossie - I have a 'long turbo' playlist on my ipod which Mark has speakers for so I play that but I tend to make the time pass by monitoring my HR to ensure I'm working hard enough, alternating time on the aero bars with sitting up and drinking and imagining myself in the race needing to focus and work. It is hard to keep going sometimes but good mental training!

• Flossie9 wrote (see)

*Passes bowl for some yummy soup*.  image
    *looks in Flossie's cupboard for another bowl*image
  • DG wrote (see)
     Good job Miss DG isn't in the same ballet school as your minis - you'd have a fight on your hands!!! (And I'm quite a laid back ballet mum!)

As Miss DG is my Goddaughter she is permitted to be equally as good! image No, scrub that - she's EXPECTED to be equally as good! No losers allowed!

Just logged in to say AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

*breathes*

I feel SOOOOOOOO much better now. Just need to call the police and tell them I won't jump, after all...image

• Oh dear - guests?
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Shades,

Hope you don't get made redundant.

-----------------

I'm off work with the lurgy at the mo.   I've not been feeling myself for a few days and yesterday had to come off the phones for the last couple of hours because I lost my voice.  Today it was much better & phoned the doc up who said go home & stay there until symptoms gone which should be by the end of the week.  So I guess that means no 2 mile run tonight.

• LMH - sounds good to me.  Bet you can ride "no hands" right?  Is riding "no hands" to do with type of bike or is it just balance?  image

LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

Flossie9 wrote (see)

*Passes bowl for some yummy soup*.  image
    *looks in Flossie's cupboard for another bowl*image
    Saw you out of the corner of my eye....  imageimage  You have got the patience of a saint if you feel like that.  Not good, but only two more sleeps if they live that long!  image

HY4 - *hands HY4 hot drink*.  Wishing you a speedy recovery and no run for you tonight if you feel that bad.  image

Have just finished doing online application for a small OU Maths course towards Maths Degree starting in October and really looking forward to it plus the NVQ3 Teaching Assistant course - education for next academic year sorted.  Off to pool to do some lengths.  Spk later.  image
  • HY4 - hope you feel better soon. Definitely no running if you're bad enough to be off work.

Flossie - I find 'no hands' much easier on my hybrid than on the road bike. How far did you swim then? I'm trying to decide what to study next year though I may have my preceptorship to occupy me academically, I seem to have an interview for a part time proper 'nursey' job. Not too sure how that happened - could well end up with two part time jobs and not enough time to train!

• LOL! "seem" to have an interview......image

I am going to do a yoga DVD later to calm down and then I will kiss my children and husband and thank God they're mine and relatively normal....image

• Commiserations on the lurgy HY4, hope it's feeling better soon

Flossie - that's some weight loss! What's your secret? (Have just demolished toasted teacake, that's definitely not one of your five a day)

Shades, hope redundancy threat does not happen

LB - yoga DVD sounds saintly, how about a G and T?

Flossie and LMH - congrats on academic/job progress!

Can't wait for TdF highlights tonight - really missed it on the rest day yesterday

Feeling cheerful as optician has pronounced poorly eye cured so I can register right now for Trentham sprint tri to keep me amused this weekend. But after that must really get down to doing some serious long runs as Amsterdam is not really that far away. ..

• Good news on the eye, when is Trentham Sluggie - is it local to you?

LB - and breathe.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LB,

LOL.  You have your home restored to how you like it now.

LMH, 

Good luck with the interview.  I was thinking that about a run tonight.  It seems as though this year I'm taking 1 step forwards & 2 back (or whatever the saying is)

Sluggie,

Excellent news about the eye.

• Flossie - which maths course are you doing (I have an OU maths degree)?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Flossie - well done on the weight loss, should be a little easier too when your mileage increases.

HY4 - hope you're feeling better soon.   Don't run if you're not 100% you will only make your illness worse.

Well news from the work front is that I've been given a new contract of employment (as has everyone else) as we are transferring to the other company from the 1st August and I will be moving offices on Tuesday.  Change of job title to Assistant Accountant, (which is fine by me), then there will be 4 of us in the accounts department and I found out today that the other two who work for the Accountant are on 6k a year less than me.   The company that I'm currently working for will gradually wind down and most of the business will transfer to the new company and then there will probably be some streamlining and a few redundancies within the new company...we'll see.

• Fingers crossed...

LMH - Trentham is this coming Sunday it's failtly local - near Stoke, so about 45 mins drive. They still have places in the half IM and OLy too if you have a rush of blood to the head! Swim and run in country park/gardens, bike on A50 (so  hoping for an early start time!)

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Shades,

That's what I was thinking regarding running, however I would like to get out at the weekend.

Fingers crossed for you at the new company.

• Shades - hopefully that buys you some time anyway. Will you start looking?

Sluggie - sensible head says that it's too near to race day, I don't know how to wear a number and take it easy.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I shall start looking around and maybe put my name down with a couple of agencies too, unfortunately haven't got any time at the moment to sneak off to the agencies for interviews
  • Ah the old interviewitis! Strikes a lot of people when the redundancy axe starts swinging! image I reckon they know you need that extra £6k to get your races sorted Shades! image Good news that you've still got a job though! image

Big ballet show is tomorrow. Girls are at a dress rehearsal at the theatre now. It was supposed to be over at 6.30, but I know their teacher! Dancing is her strong suit - time and book-keeping are her downfalls! I told eldest to text me when they're done! image It's over the Runcorn bridge (which was a pain in the rush hour) but should be fine now and is only a 10 minute drive max.

Sluggie - great news about the eye!

I got a discount voucher for NB today because I've entered the NB English half in October. It's 30% which I think is pretty good! They seem to do big sizes too! I was just wondering if anyone runs in NB? I used to run in 854's but it's been a while......image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LB,

My NB 900's were brilliant.  I was really tempted to get the newer version, however wanted to try a different make & didn't want to have to search like hell to get the newer NB model.  They did about 530 miles before I replace them. 

Where is the NB English half and when in October?

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Just googled the NB half.  That's expensive, (£29) especially when you add in diesel & overnight accommodation.

Neither Mr Bump or I are going to get on our soap boxes about entry fees!!!!!!

• The discount on the shoes is more than the entry fee HY4 and you get a tech tee too. It's on my doorstep so I have no travel costs!

I can hear Mr Bump in my ear already......image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LB,

Wouldn't want to fault you for doing it because as you say it's on your doorstep and for those races I'm a bit more willing to pay that kind of money.

Hence my comment before we both get on our soap boxes to spare everyone image.