Dovedale Dipper

DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭

Lady Slugge & I will be doing the Dovedale Dipper

26 Mile LDWA Challenge event - the furthest we'll ever've been imageimage

anybody else...?

Comments

• The Challenge covers just over 26 miles and the Ramble 15 miles, both almost entirely on footpaths and trails through the White Peak area of the Peak District. 

The Challenge goes north along the Dovedale valley towards the limestone peaks of Chrome Hill and Parkhouse, then to Longnor. Turning south the walk climbs up onto the Staffordshire Moorlands before crossing the Manifold Valley and over into Wolfscote Dale before turning North back to Hartington.  The walk is in the National Park with approximately 3966 feet of ascent.

The 15 mile Ramble uses part of the Challenge route and is for walkers only.

I thought you were kidding me before Daz, looks like all or nothing, do I don't I?

Must say I'm surprised you've not done a 26miler yet Daz?

• DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭

nope
    longest fell-race I've done is Kinder Trog (15.5M)
    apart from that, Lady Slugge & I did the Malhamdale Meander (23M) last year in about 7 hours and it nearly killed me!

However, I've got a bit more confident with longer days out on the hills recently with a few recces in the Lakes and the Dark Peak, so hopefully won't disgrace myself at Dovedale image

Lady Slugge is rubbish at uphill/downhill and navigation (that's my department) - her strength is that she just keeps on going, like that Duracell bunny...image

• Are you better Claire or still suffering?
  • clairsterclairster ✭✭✭
    still suffering..moors the merrier has been abandoned, hoping to be back again for this, but gotta see how this week pans out image. How are you?
  • Not too bad my running mojo has left me again and my back is sore at the moment I probably should be shot ! I will be on holiday all of August so I cant wait I need a rest. Hopefully we'll meet again at a race I would like to catch up with you and Euph again. take care get well.
  • Good luck gettingover the injuries NG and Clairster, hope to see you for this.

daz - Should be a good challenge then, quite a bit on top of Kinder mileage, at least not quite so hilly I believe. wasn't kinder about 4000 over its 15+miles, spaced out over 26 should be a doddle image

Euph - Are you in then? image

I'm not worried about the hills, it's the flat bits that I hate - I'm hoping the accompanying scenery/company will keep my mind occupied as I tend to lose the will to live on long flat stretches image

• (Daz here)

email confirmations arrived, so we're in! imageimageimageimage

did 17 hilly Miles today, timed myself over the last 8M and was doing about 14min/miling, so hoping for about 6:00-6:30 at Dovedale methinks... 5:59 would be nice image

• Daz - Going to get entry in today, I don't think I've entered yet but entered so many this year that will need to check chequebook and email confs to be sure. Now all I need to do is get some new trail shoes, managed to rip left one in half yesterday at Moors the Merrier image
  • clairsterclairster ✭✭✭
    euph - lakeland runner have some good ddeals on roclites

clairster - what's the latest on your fitness? are you gonna make it?! image

Euph - how did you get on at MTM btw?

by curious coincidence, I had given no thought whatsoever to what shoes I'd be using for Dovedale
    until i was faced with the similar decision for my Saturday training run
    I didn't want to wear my trusty Mizuno Harriers cos've lack of cushioning for the roads/better trails
    but road shoes were probably going to let me down in places due to lack of grip
    obviously I should have a pair of bog-standard trail shoes on the go, but my old Mizuno Ascends are a bit clapped out (no cushioning in the forefoot, worn grip, but heel still bouncy), and the pair I bought to fill this slot (Vasque Mercurys) are RUBBISH (big blocky sole, but not cushiony - i.e. worse than useless)
    and it's too late to buy/wear in a new pair
    so... eventually went with the Ascends, which were OK (poor grip on wet grass, bit blocky on loose rocky paths, but bouncy heel welcome on roads, esp uphills)
    think I'll probably go with the Ascends, but if dry (and the route looks to have very little technical ground) I might even go with road shoes (Saucony Triumphs)... image

• clairsterclairster ✭✭✭
    its slipping out of my fingers Daz image. ws out yesterday and pulled up at 4M as my calf seized nd now i cant walk image
  • (Daz here)

oh poor old clairster

(((clairster)))

I thought it was your back - what's with the calf? image

• clairsterclairster ✭✭✭
    thank you image it was my back..it appears to have shifted to my calf. grrr.
  • Join the club Claire my back is buggared. I'm going to try and keep going but it is a pain. have you seen a chiropractor maybe your calf has gone because your gait has changed due to your back. It's such a drag I've been okay all year now it decides to go done.
  • BritNickBritNick ✭✭✭

Clairster, Nurse, no! Sorry you're injured. Bad times. I hope you recover soon. Ease off the running (and walking if necessary) as long as it remains painful. That strategy always works for me.

Clairster, I only saw you on Saturday at MTM. I had no idea injury was lurking. Get well soon.

• clairsterclairster ✭✭✭
    BN - do I have a double? I wasnt at MTM, was at home being sensible image

received route details in post image

can now start marking up exact details on the map! image

• clairsterclairster ✭✭✭
    I think I may be out imageimageimageimage
  • I've entered along with a pal - may lead to some confusion between different species of slug! We'll probably be setting off with the walkers and doing more walking than running (having noted the 4000 ft of ascent!).

Does anyone know if we get any food at the checkpoints or is it just at the end (good value whatevr anyway!)? 

Sorry Clairster, hope things may improve.

• (((clairster))) Sorry to hear of continuing injury woes, any diagnosis on calve problem?

echo sluggies food question, form mentions food at end.... anyone here done this before?

• I'm in .......... 2010 that is !!

I'll be doing the JT 10K in York this weekend so this one will have to wait.

Although I've had my eye on it since 2008 so next year will be my year.

Incidentally entries are now open for the 2010 Baslow Boot Bash and White Peak Walk events.

Both count as marathons and both are in the Peak District.

Just a thought guys & gals.

• (Daz here)

my entry confirmation [smarm_smarm] states:

"Cold drinks and biscuits will be available at all checkpoints."

• BritNickBritNick ✭✭✭

Sorry Clairster. You're right. Too many running acquaintances and an ageing brain causes confusion. I'll get me coat. image

Look after yourself and recover well.

• Daz - Cheers for biscuit/drinks info. Looks lik you have a small competition going on for first slug.

Sounds like you have too much shoe choice! After busting a trail shoe at MTM I looked at many different options before deciding to go for Roclite 315s again, pretty much a jack of all trades. Like you say depending how dry and what route is like road shoes are possible at this time of year. Would have been ok on the paths and mostly good trails of Osmotherley Phoenix, but you would have suffered horrifically two weeks later after the rain and on the routes less travelled at Moors the Merrier.

I'd only just noticed the shoe post, for some reason  didn't ready part of last page. So also noticed that Nurse Gladys is injured, sorry to hear that, is the back feeling any better yet?

Clairster - Any progress? You look after yourself. Still plenty of events before the weather gets cold again - like that puts us off image. Is Marsden on 15th looking good for a comeback? just a tiddler at 22m.

• Hi,

I'm attempting to run the 26m challenge this year,

we walked the 15m ramble last year which covers part of the 26m course, and found it very well organised , the route is sufficiently marked and I'm just hoping that the 26m is as well marked, cos I wont be carrying an OS map with me this time.

I've not done 26m before so I've no idea what time I should be aiming for, this is also in preparation for  the Isle of Man marathon the following weekend.

Really looking forward to it,

• Just found out I've got an unexpected free weekend, so think I'll come up and give this a bash. Will I be OK to enter on the day, and pick up directions? Any suggestions where to stay on the Saturday night beforehand. Cheers

daymion - There should be EOD, but might be as well to contact the race organiser to check it isn't full!

the race description is pretty detailed, but having the White Peak OS map might also be a good idea

not sure about places to stay - I'm about to ring round some campsites to see if I can find one that isn't waterlogged!