Summer holidays

I want to keep up my training this year, during the school holidays, as in previous years I virtually give up running whilst kids are around, then have to start all over again come September! I also now have a dog who needs daily walking, so even more complicated this year.

I did take the kids + dog to a local park after school last week. There's a playground right in the middle of the park and it takes about 7 minutes to run round the main field. I ended up doing one lap with the dog [he's only 6 months old so won't go much further than that while he's young]; one circuit with my 6 year old, and 2 circuits on my own, while the older 2 boys took it in turns to walk the dog around. I figured that if there was any 'crisis', I could easily get back to the playground as it's effectively the centre of a circular route.

I'd like to get the boysinto running, so hopefully one of them will decide to do some circuits with me if I can get out regularly to the park?!

Any other ideas would be very welcome!

Comments

• Can you in the evening when they're in bed? Get a friend/neighbour to sit for an hour or so if possible. That's what I do come holiday season.
  • I find running whilst they cycle works ok, or use scooters. You do have to be prepared to break your run to buy them an icecream half way as a bribe though!
  • ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    In response to some of the suggestions above -

I do have an 'other half' but his working hours are very long and unpredictable so I can't rely on him coming home at a reasonable hour.

Most of my friends work so aren't around for a regular babysit swap.

My eldest is 11 going on 12, so doesn't want to go to bed until we do.

I thought about bikes but with three to transport [we live in the middle of a busy town so not easy for us all to cycle somewhere - youngest is only 6] it's not practical really.

When we're away on holiday [as opposed to being on school hols, but at home] I often run before breakfast at about 8am, but that doesn't work when hubby's going to the office in the mornings.

Might stick to going to the park during the day at least for now. I packed a bag full of chocolate bars and drinks when I tried it last week . Just means I can't build up any distance as they can only manage watching Mum run for about half an hour tops! Still, that's enough to keep me ticking over I guess.
  • Could you not go early in the morning before anyone is up and before hubby needs to go to work? Or invest in a treadmill?

I am a single mum of a 3 year old, so I know how difficult it is to get out and fit in runs when there is no one else around to look after the kids. I bought a treadmill and even though it is not ideal and alittle boring it comes in handy when I need a run and have my lil' one at home. He sits happily infront of me 'encouraging' me or else I jump on before he is up or after he is in bed.

• I go down the canal and my boys follow me on their bikes. They get to keep fit, get fresh air without potential impact injuries.

Eldest 9, youngets 6, so 5 miles for the littlun and ten for the biggun, they seem fine. And can waste all their mates on the bike!

3 year olds go into rear seat carriers

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Holy cow, AB - I wasn't allowed to stay up that late when I was 12!

Sent to bed at a reasonable time - what I WANTED didn't come into it.

• I was just thinking that too!!!!, my 11 year old (12 next month) goes to bed at 8:30pm weekdays and 9pm weekends!, regardless of what she wants to do!.

I would suggest...

Up early before other half goes to work / kids get up

Take the kids swimming and do lengths.

My daughter comes with me on her bike when I do long runs on sunday, could your kids come with you on their bikes?.

• Absolutely agree about bedtimes, my 12 yr old goes to bed at 8.45pm weekdays and weekends, during the holidays he might get an extra half an hour!
  • ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, it's turning into a parenting class now!! The 11 year old doesn't go to bed 'when we do' - it just feels like that! The 2 younger go up between 8 and 8.30, and the eldest at 9. They don't always go straight to sleep, but they're 'up'.

Don't mean to sound ungrateful re all the suggestions, just that having taken the boys out on bikes a couple of times and been terrified at the lack of respect from car drivers [despite yellow jackets and me 'riding high' to force them to pass wide] I can't face asking them to cycle while I run. We live in town so have to negotiate busy streets before getting to the park, and I can't get 3 bikes in the car. Actually, does anyone know the rules re cycling on the pavement? Hubby gets boys to cycle on pavement if he takes them out [one at a time usually] but they then get dirty looks from the pedestrians [not surprisingly]. My 6 year old was knocked flying by a pavement-riding cyclist, who told me to 'f' off when I complained, when he was 4 so I'm a bit wary of that too.

[Gosh, I do sound negative don't I?!]

I do actually have a treadmill, awaiting a repair on Tuesday [it is rather old - to quote JR Hartley] so hopefully can just use that. I can cope with half an hour without getting bored. We had breakfast quite late today [1st day of school hols] so it's possible I could run early-ish while they watch breakfast TV, then have breakfast? Then it wouldn't matter what time hubby goes in to work either.
  • Unfortunately, when you have family and work commitments, you just have to run when you can, if thats early in the morning before the kids get up, and husband goes to work, then you have to make do with that, likewise, in the evening when husband gets in, or when kids go to bed.

You don't have to run at the same time, so its just a case of being flexible with your running and fit it in when you can.

Its like last weekend, I had a long run to do on Sunday, because of family commitments, the only way to fit it in was to get up at 6am and get out for 7:30am, otherwise, I just wouldn't have been able to do it, getting up at 6am on a sunday, when you get up at 5am all week is a horrible thing to do, but needs must and all that rubbish image

• image  We're all going onnnnaaa summmmer holeeeddaaaayy  image
  • How about giving Grandparents a treat and letting them have the kids for a week - NIce for them, nice for you and plenty of you time.
    Thats what grandparents are for, we'll be having ours in a couple of weeks for a week - looking forward to it.

Go on, just ask.....

• ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    Grandparents - hmmm...I'm in Basingstoke, they're in Glasgow, and also they are of the old school 'your children are your responsibility' attitude. They have never even offered to babysit so that hubby and I could go out for a romantic dinner when they are down for a visit!!
  • ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    Can you see where I get my cynicism from...?
  • Nice!, my daughter is currently at her nans for the week, don't think its got anything to do with responsablity of the children, surely its just nice for them to see them for a bit, and also for the kids and parents to have a bit of a break from each other.

Distance is a bit of a problem, I guess I am lucky in the fact that its only 100 mile each way trip for me, Glasgow is a bit farer!.

• Wow - sorry to hear that.
    We were pleased as punch when our kids had babies, we would nick them all the time for weekends and as they grew up they've always been with both sets of grandparents.
    We're about 90 miles away, not quite the distance you have but even so can't believe the attitude of some parents who think that all they have to do is get their kids to 18 and then wipe their hands as if to say 'Job Done'

Sadly as we have 4 (grandkids) not quite in the market for more (just yet) - lol

• ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, it's turning into a parenting class now!! The 11 year old doesn't go to bed 'when we do' - it just feels like that! The 2 younger go up between 8 and 8.30, and the eldest at 9. They don't always go straight to sleep, but they're 'up'.

Don't mean to sound ungrateful re all the suggestions, just that having taken the boys out on bikes a couple of times and been terrified at the lack of respect from car drivers [despite yellow jackets and me 'riding high' to force them to pass wide] I can't face asking them to cycle while I run. We live in town so have to negotiate busy streets before getting to the park, and I can't get 3 bikes in the car. Actually, does anyone know the rules re cycling on the pavement? Hubby gets boys to cycle on pavement if he takes them out [one at a time usually] but they then get dirty looks from the pedestrians [not surprisingly]. My 6 year old was knocked flying by a pavement-riding cyclist, who told me to 'f' off when I complained, when he was 4 so I'm a bit wary of that too.

[Gosh, I do sound negative don't I?!]

I do actually have a treadmill, awaiting a repair on Tuesday [it is rather old - to quote JR Hartley] so hopefully can just use that. I can cope with half an hour without getting bored. We had breakfast quite late today [1st day of school hols] so it's possible I could run early-ish while they watch breakfast TV, then have breakfast? Then it wouldn't matter what time hubby goes in to work either.
  • ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    don't know where that repeated entry came from...
  • ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    What's so refreshing about the responses is that I'm not the only one who wants to keep running during school holidays and I'm not alone in trying to think up creative ways to keep it up and entertain the kids!! My hubby is of the "you're going out when??!" persuasion and is a total non-runner!
  • but does he get to play golf or some other recreational activity and leave you alone?
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Cross train. Take the bairns to the local pool, you can get in a few lengths while they play tom foolery.

Walking is also good to help keep the fitness levels up. Try going out for a picnic and long walk when the weather is fine. The dog will love you at least.

I do think cycling is good for you. Do try and get out on the pushies if you can. The more you ride the more confident you will become. I have no worries about traffic at all.

I have to admit that when I was a child my sisters and I and all our friends just used to go off together, usually to the woods or the rocks, and spend the day out playing together. We'd all pack our own unhealthy picnic and suit ourselves. We always looked out for each other. Ah those were the days...

Can you go to the park and play tennis or somesuch - stoolball; rounders; cricket.

Is there anywere that will take the for the day, like a playscheme or some such? Sports coaching? I've worked in plenty of holiday playschemes, it's worth checking with the school, local authority, church, sports centre or wotnot to see if anything like that is going on around you. gives you a break from the kids, and them a break from you, even for 1 day a week.

• LA schemes are quite expensive, ours run at nearly £40 a day image
  • ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    danowat - where do you live?! I have the kids booked on a few activity days towards the end of the hols - one was £31 for 2 days, the other is free [which is why I only got 1 session for the 2 eldest - they booked up very quickly!!].

gazmanmeister - he's a total couch potato - though I am managing to get him to walk the dog every now and again, as long as we all go with him!
  • Our local sports centre are having a summer schedule for kids activities, but again with a number of children the costs can rack up
  • Norfolk, these are Ofsted schemes, pretty sure it was £18 for half a day, and £35 ish for a full day, mind you, we managed to swing a free trip for her to Thorpe park, so thats a bonus.

• Wow - going to have to check the top of my head for a thumb print, my wife (Irish, doesn't take any messing) insisted that I did my fair share with the kids, even tho spent weeeks away with work etc. Had to really else would have missed them growing up so when possible I had them on my own and took them ice skating, biking, footbal, parks, trips even shopping (yes even shopping) just to give her a number of hours break
    Should I have a word.........
  • ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    Oo yes please!

Just to keep you posted - I've just run about 2.5M by taking the kids [plus a pal, so 4 of them!!] to the local park. They played on the swings etc and I ran 6.5 minute laps round the park, checking on them every lap, so another sort of interval training session! The 6 year old did what he normally does and ran with me for some of it so laps 2 & 3 were a bit stop/start, but at least he's enthusiastic and wants to join in!! Then challenged them to a race back to the car - if they ran the whole way they got an ice-cream [they all ended up having an ice-cream, so well done them]. At least I've proved they can do behave while we're all out!! Phew!
  • PruePrue ✭✭✭

Hi Ali Baby

You're right it is a struggle especially in the school hols......  I'm a sole parent and tend to always fit running around childcare commitments, so here's my suggestions.

1, Get em on their bikes and scooters and run somewhere circular be it lake or park, so you can see them while you run.  Or somewhere, where the play area is in the middle.  Or do you have any cycle paths that go through safe places through your town/city, in which the kids will be safe on, why you run near them?

2, Track - I take my little un to the track so he can play in the middle, run around with me, or just bring something to do undercover while I run,

3, Tredi at home

4.. Do a childcare swap with friends

5. Make the most of the things that are on offer over the summer for the kids, art class, footie, dance, sports camps.  Most gyms run a kids club through the summer for all ages groups, where they can join in an activity they want to do and you can run while they are there.  It might be just 2 hours or 10am-3pm. 
    Normally there is a summer holiday activity co-ordinator for the local schools, who have a list of activities for them to choose from, some of them by me start from £1 to get you interested over the hols, so the kids want to do the activity on the term time too and pop the prices up then. 

6, Ask other family, aunts, uncles, brothers.....

Good luck!

• You mention Basingstoke, you near the Basingstoke canal? I use that a lot.with the kids.