Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Morning!  We rent our TV and video/DVD.  Has probably cost us more over the years than buying but when something goes wrong they come the same day and either sort it out here or take it away while leaving us a stand in.  Very useful when it happened during european football one year.
  • Flossette feeling much better today, thanks.  She had 24 hours of vomiting yesterday, which was really scarey and had to rush off to Tesco's to get soluble paracetamol because her throat swelled up.  She is now down to feverishness and eating again, but not quite out of the woods yet.  Have still got cold and it is clear that I got away with a mild dose of it and TBH that is what most healthy adults should expect - an inconvenience of mild aches and pains, background headache, prickly nose and throat, then the cold, swollen glands under ears, few sweats, not full of beans like you usually feel, but it shouldn't affect your appetite.  Whilst Flossette has needed Tamiflu medication, it has not been the case for me.  Won't be training until the cold has gone, which is most inconvenient because was going well, but this is a small setback. 

Shades - in that 6 hour race have worked out that first lady did 8.22 mm - that's really good going.  Glad you got new DVD and are happier with it.  Guess your cycling friend might be looking at 200+ miles?  image

LB - what is it about the latest audio equipment that grabs guys?  My friend's little boy fed a new DVD player with a jammy sandwich - must have been fun for him watching it go in and out on the little tray!  Hope you get a freezer again one day.  Enjoy Rocha - love the action of the big resorts, but it's great to be able to get a good night's sleep to recharge for the next day.  image

LMH - have nothing better to do today than to watch Tour de France - love it!  image  What you doing today?  image

VR - ditto Tour de France today.  Wonder who will end up being on the podium with Contador in Paris?  image

HY4 - really glad you're better.  image

• Afternoon!

Flossie, not so good about Flossette being poorly. Hope she mends fast & you feel better too.

LMH, not long until your big day. How are you feeling?

Mr Bump, sorry work is not good for you at the moment, you have my sympathies.

LB, enjoy your holidays. I want another one already!

Shades, hope you're back to full fitness? That's a pain about your DVD, I would have thought you'd have been covered by manufacturers warranty too. Thanks for the 'advice hotline' at Hull! In the end I know I made a sensible decision for once as I had problems for a couple of days after. I just don't like being sensible image 

I'm putting it down to the enormous stress I had at work the week before. I should have maybe pulled out but I felt I needed to feel like I was in control of one part of my life. Chalked it up to experience and on to the next adventure, which is two marathons in Galway next weekend image Although I haven't heard anything about the event yet image Trying to motivate a wee run but its chucking it down.

• Flossie - I did an hour and a half run this morning. Bit wet and windy on the way round but a good, strong, confidence giving run thankfully. Poor Flossette, sounds as though she's really suffering. I know the missed training is a pain but don't get back to it until your RHR is down will you? You can still do your core and strength stuff if you get bored.

Mrs Mac - two weeks yesterday. I'm gradually getting control of the outrageous nerves that I had last week. Practising my anxiety management and relaxation techniques. Stress can take an awful lot out of us physically as well as mentally. Any resolution on the work front?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • LMH, you're bound to get nervous but excited too I'm sure? Anxiety management and relaxation techniques - now thats something I could do with learning. Work is not good I'm afraid but there's more to life, right? Still haven't gone out running yet image
  • LMH - sounds like you had a good run this morning.  Have to admit am a bit bored, but getting a stomach like a washboard sounds appealing.  image

Mrs Mac - sorry to hear about work not being good.  However, Galway sounds fun and something to look forward to next weekend!  image

Only 1.75 hours until Tour de France!  image

• Flossie - TdF podium has already been decided from yesterday up the mountain. Did you see it?
    Stage to Paris today is more or less just a jolly apart from the 8 laps around the Champs-Elysees where Cavendish will try and win the green Jersey back, unlikely though.
  • VR - didn't realise that.  image  TBH am having hard time concentrating on it because Flossette has been so ill this week.  image

Sort of watching TdeF at the moment and keeping an eye on Flossette, who is in a bad way again and crying.  She's in pain and freezing cold and have just given her more pain relief and it seems to be about this time every day when she gets bad and in the middle of the night.  Do hope she's better by Wednesday as she's supposed to be travelling to Gibraltar on Thursday to see extended family.  image

• Flossie - I do feel for you and Flossette, it's been what - four days now? Is she having more good time than she was or do you feel that she's just as ill? She should be over the worst by Wednesday as long as she can keep some food down. Have you tried Swiss Vegetable Bouillon or soup? Might be easier on the stomach than milk based things even if she doesn't fancy them as much.

Mrs Mac - there is so much more to life than work! Shame we need to do it at all really. Any chance of a career/employer change or has it not come to that as yet?

• Flossie - we're flying with Thomson and they said they won't let you fly for five days after you've FINISHED the Tamiflu and are symptom free, so you'd better check that whoever she is going with will accept her on a plane at all next Thursday. So sorry to hear she's so unwell. It's awful when your kids cry because they're ill and you feel helpless to make it better for them.

I'm watching TdF too! image Not that hard to work out where Bumpy is - I bet he's found somewhere to watch it....image

Mrs Mac - there is more to life than work, but life is so much better if work is good.....image That's what Mr LB says anyway!

• Just read something horrendous on Facebook. Kittenkat's beautiful German Shepherd dog chased another dog yesterday whilst out on a walk in an unfamiliar place and ran straight over the edge of a cliff and is dead.image

Pets are so much a part of our family. I feel sick thinking about it......

• LMH - she's keeping food down now, but the illness is random and it's been complicated with the back injury she endured on Monday.  She's coming back round to normal-ish again from uncontrollable shivering and shortness of breath about an hour ago.  She was diagnosed with swine flu 48 hours ago, but has had backache for 4 days.  Thanks so much, I panicked an hour ago, it's really stressing me out watching her suffer like that - am no nurse by any sense of the imagination.  image

LB - poor Kittenkat's lovely dog.  She must be brokenhearted....image  Am reading what you say about Tamiflu and I wouldn't let her on the plane without being symptom-free.  image

• LB - starting to look at changing flights.  Thank goodness I took out travel insurance on the flight.  image
  • It would be really awful for her to go to Gibraltar and still feel ill. Poor Flossette! image
  • Flossie, thats sounds awful for Flossettte (& you worrying). Fingers crossed for a swift recovery.

What a shame about KittenKats dog. Agree with LB about them being part of the family, I'd be devastated.

Right, went out for a run and the sun came out image Pity I didn't have my new shades on tho'.

Forgot to mention that we nearly ran over a bear on holiday and I had to rescue a turtle off the road too!!

• Sun Mrs Mac? Must shine on the virtuous - I had wind and rain for my run image Sounds like you got up close and personal with the wildlife on your hols.

Flossie - it's always harder when it's someone close. Will Flossette be able to extend her holiday at the other end if she takes a later flight? How many days does she take the Tamiflu for? I don't want to worry you further but have a good read of the side effects and just ensure she's not exhibiting those rather than flu symptoms would you? That said it does seem to be hitting teenagers hardest, other than those with existing underlying conditions of course.

• Flossie, poor Flossette and poor you. Do hope the worst is over soon.

Horrible about KKs dog, as you say they are really part of the family.

Glad you had a good time in NC Mrs Mac, sounds like wildlife was a bit too close!

Have been glued to TdF all afternoon but am  saying nothing image

Trentham tri for me this morning - a good day out though pouring down with rain, made me a bit nervous on the bike. Typical Sluggie day out - survived and had a smile on my face at the end!

Most memorable thing was the only other woman in my age group - a blind triathlete! Her name is Maggie Bowes and she is 58. She went round with a partner ( her husband I think). Imagine swimming 500m in open water and not being able to see! I will never complain about feeling wibbly in the swim again.

TdF inspired me to create a points sytem while pootling round the bike and run. This works well for those of us at the back of the pack who don't pass many people. It could work in marathons or tris and goes like this:image

passing a man of any age - 10 points

passing a woman (if you are a woman) 5 points, unless she's visibly half your age, in which case it's 10 points. If you are a man, you will have to decide for yourself how to handle gender issues!

If those same people repass you, you lose the points but can regain them later

Of course, no points awarded for passing injured, ill or disabled competitors, or those on mountain bikes or with mechanical problems. Those taking pee breaks are fair game.

In theory bonus points would be awarded for passing peeps on bling bikes with disc wheels etc, but this has never applied to me!

You could use it it if you were a speedy type too, but then you'd probably have to do it on a system of taking points off each time you were passed and trying to keep your score as low as possible. So many people pass me it would not be practical to do it that way round.

Think it'll catch on?

• LB - Easyjet have no ruling on Swine Flu like Thomson does and are following the 'no travel restriction' philosophy that the WHO has put in place.  However, I would rather pay £45 and change Flossette's flight plans because her cousin, Michael, had pneumonia 2 years ago and wouldn't forgive myself if she was contagious at the start of the visit.  image

Mrs Mac - says a lot when the sun comes out for you on your run - you're in the right place again.  image  If only animals knew their Green Cross Code.  Saw 2 badgers bustling to safety across the road for the first time ever - CUTE!!!  She's sitting up smiling again, Mrs Mac, that's how random this illness is and I'm smiling again too.  image  Got to get her completely healthy before flying and am in process of changing Flossette's Gibraltar flights - it's a snip at £45 and lucky she was going to originally go this early in the holidays.  image

Sluggie - thanks for best wishes - take you up on your new points system.  Nice one.  LOL  image

LMH - Flossette's holiday plans will be changing to the other end of the school holidays, there is no way I will let her fly until completely healthy again.  Insurance policy is in place, but £45 is all it takes to change flights and less palaver.  She's prescribed to take Tamiflu for 5 days and last tablet is on Wednesday morning.  Side effects of Tamiflu are nausea and vomiting same as for swine flu - confusing isn't it?  However, she stopped vomiting yesterday afternoon and Tamiflu should be taken with food and water to help combat these symptoms.  Yes, the teenagers are really being clobbered with this, but it's also affected the local middle school quite badly and they are aged 4-12 - not a good start to the summer holidays this year for parents looking after children with this virus.

Thank you so much for coming back to me so quickly, I was beside myself earlier and am tired for worrying that I'm doing the right thing, getting up in the middle of the night and the stress of the situation. 

This is crazy, we'll laugh about this one day.  image

• Flossie - you can always mail me if you'd like to offload or just share and if you want you're welcome to my phone number. It's hard doing it on your own.

Sluggie - so were you first or second in your age group? Congratulations and did you get a trophy? I find counting those I pass and taking off those who re-pass me useful distractions in some races!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

What horrible news about Kittenkat's dog.

Sluggie,

As much as I'm tempted by a sprint tri there is no way I'd do one because if I took my glass off I'd be blind as a bat.

Flossie,

Hope Flossette recovers quickly & her holiday doesn't suffer too much. 

• LMH - well I was first W55 but given the heroic status of the only other W55 I didn't think it appropriate to gloat!I am looking forward to tomorrows results to see how the only W50 did, however...

HY4 - there are prescription gogglesimage or you can just swim on the heels of the person in front....or could you wear disposable contacts  under your goggles? (Tries to tempt another one away to the dark side...)

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Sluggie,

I've looked into prescription goggles and they would cost about £150-£200.  With my prescription the contacts would be thick with only one type suitable for me (I think it's the gas permable ones).  Everytime I've thought about contacts I've discounted it because the optician has always said it would take me a long time to adjust to them as I've been wearing glasses since I was 2 so 35 years.

So nice try but it's not going to work.

• Flossie, glad Flossettes having a bit of respite. It must be such a worry. That's one of the reasons I don't have kids, I worry enough as it is!

Sluggie, well done on the Tri. I like your points system, might adopt it in my next raceimage

When I went to rescue the turtle the ungrateful little beggar hissed at me. I couldn't believe how heavy it was when I lifted it off the road. We also seen a black racer snake (not poisonous) very near our cabin. And on a hike one day a couple took great delight in stopping and showing us a picture of a very large rattle snake they'd just encountered on the trail - in the direction we were heading image Luckily it was gone when we got there!

• hope to...hope to... ✭✭✭

Flossie - so sorry to hear about Flossette.  Hard going for you both.

Sending you a big hug!

• Congratulations Sluggie!

HY4 - you never know what would happen with the contacts until you try them - when I first started with contacts I went straight to monthly ones which is apparently rare  - I've been using daily disposable ones for events but am going to try some monthly ones again as it's a long day for daily lenses.

Mrs mac - your holiday sounds lovely, had you been to this place before?

• Sluggie - Well done - I like your points system! Though you could cheat by starting too slowly and then picking up the folk who are slowest!

Flossie - Sorry you're having such a worrying time. If you don't feel she's stable /improving may be worth contacting nhs 24 again rather than worrying alone. As it was an over the phone diagnosis (I think) there is always an element of doubt - though does sound quite likely.

Going to have to give myself a talking to and get out and do some marathon training - have been very lazy today.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LMH,

Please don't take this the wrong way, however I've been told that I'd still need to have the glasses for when I can't wear contacts and the price of contacts is about the same price as my glasses.  The current pair cost about £185 so add in the price of the contacts you can see why I'm reluctant to switch over.  Add into that I've been told to get my eyes tested each year because up until very recently my eyes changed each year enough to warrant new glasses.

• Elspeth, forgot to say well done for the 10K and to your son, WOW image

LMH, it was an amazing place. Totally isolated in the forest half way up a mountain. There were humingbirds & woodpeckers visiting our cabin every morning too. Never been before, MrMac had been to the Beaches in North Carolina in his marine days though.

• Flossie- poor flossette. It is so miserable when you have bad flu- one of the symptoms is tearfullness so i am not suprised that she has been crying. Keep giving her the paracetamol and nurofen every 4 hours to keep her temperature down. Have you thought about giving her some codeine maybe as well to help with the back pain. She might have a temperature and aches and pains for 7 days. If she gets short of breath then contact the doctor.