TdF spoilers

Comments

• Cav was absolutely awesome, where the hell does he get all that power from? And the overhead shots of the lead-in to that corner - wow. Absolutely perfect job.
  • Was stunning.....

We are about 400 yds up the Champs Elysee from the finish line, Amazing atmosphere all weekend

4 Brits all finishing magnificently..

• can't believe it's all over again.  season over i guess too.  the vuelta is getting a bit more interesting these days though.  maybe Evans and Contador will line up there.  Given the ease with which Contador won le tour i'd be suprised if he doesn't turn up at the vuelta. 
  • We're off to Dublin in a couple of weeks, Lance, Cav and guinness....
  • Oooh we nearly did Ireland Dave - but isnt it a mid week start or something ? And I see they've cut it down a few days now ?
  • Fri Sat Sun

Got the usual 99p Ryan air flights from Liverpool

Tour of Ireland

We are going out Thursday and home late Sunday

(Lots of TdF piccies on my facebook page)

• Mrs FunkinMrs Funkin ✭✭✭

*insert envious smiley here*

We are going to Stoke for the ToB...not quite as exotic is it...?

• I'll be in Blackpool I think for that !!!

Wicklow Mountains next tho !!!

• excellent, some new drugs, "exercise in a pill" sounds like money well spent to me. 

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/afld-president-suspects-new-drugs-in-peloton

seems to me if doping positives are left till after everyone is home then the tour organisers, sponsors, teams etc won't get hit so hard.  so the dopers won't get hit so hard either and the anti-doping attitude won't be so hardline.

anyway, where can i get this exercise in a pill !?

• Anyone else watching the twitters over the Tour :

Started I guess with AC's comments re Lance :

"My relationship with Lance is non-existent. Even if he is a great champion, I have never had admiration for him and I never will," the Spaniard told a news conference in Madrid.

Then last night from Lance :

LA : Hey pistolero - there is no 'I' in 'team', what did I say in March ? Lots to learn. Restated.

Now all the LA gang seem to be chipping in.

Johanbruyneel : Sometimes it is better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt.

PaulSherwen : African proverb which might be apt today, By the time the fool has learned the game, the players have dispersed.

PaulSherwen : African proverb from Sierra Leone : Do not tell the man who is carrying you that he stinks.

Its allll handbags once more ! (that was me = not an old african proverb btw)
  • i feel a bit sorry for bertie.  he kept himself to himself all year (at least he seemed to in the english speaking media) and behaved like a sporting gentleman at the tdf.  he endured lance's sniping.  then as soon as he the winner speaks out of turn he gets put down.  i guess it's only tweets.  i shouldn't think he's even read them.

didn't AC say he had admiration as a bike rider but not as a person.  i'd agree with that.  he does seem like a complete twunt.

not sure AC needs to rely on a team so much or tactics when he's clearly the strongest.

• "a moving dog never gathers fleas"
  • I really dont think LA is a nice person. And especially not when he loses the tour !

Toys - out of the pram !
  • no, and i guess if you've been geared to win your whole life it no doubt helps if you're a c*nt!

his interviews were very consilitory though saying when it was man to man he wasn't strong enough etc.  but the sniping shows what he really thinks.  i remember reading once how he shot down a team mate as he'd dared to smile on the podium when he got second place.  so at least he made sure he didn't smile.

it's going to be an interesting build up to the tour next year.

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    cougie wrote (see)
    Anyone else watching the twitters over the Tour : Started I guess with AC's comments re Lance : "My relationship with Lance is non-existent. Even if he is a great champion, I have never had admiration for him and I never will," the Spaniard told a news conference in Madrid. Then last night from Lance : LA : Hey pistolero - there is no 'I' in 'team', what did I say in March ? Lots to learn. Restated. Now all the LA gang seem to be chipping in. Johanbruyneel : Sometimes it is better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt. PaulSherwen : African proverb which might be apt today, By the time the fool has learned the game, the players have dispersed. PaulSherwen : African proverb from Sierra Leone : Do not tell the man who is carrying you that he stinks. Its allll handbags once more ! (that was me = not an old african proverb btw)

God I hate Bruyneel and his mates.   If I had to watch the tour on ITV I'd probably become a cricket fan instead.   

Contrast the attitude of Armstrong and his disfunctional pals with a class act like Carlos Sastre.

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    re: AICAR (the exercise in a pill)

this is an interesting piece on it. anyone taking it though would be stupid as the drugs mentioned are still experimental and I don't think any human studies have been carried out yet. remember what happened a few years ago at Northwick Park with that drug trial on a new compound?? not nice
  • interesting stuff FB.

popsider - yeah i have to agree.  hate the ITV commentary although i like their abridged show - just watch the intro and the ending.

maybe AC will learn it's better to keep quiet.  lance may be nearing the end of his sporting life but he's going to be an influence in the pelaton for at least a decade with taylor (tyler?) phinney and his continental live-strong team and pro team.  i can see lance riding to make AC lose the 2010 tdf even if he can't win it.

• cougie wrote (see)
     LA : Hey pistolero - there is no 'I' in 'team'

Best response to this I've ever heard is:

'but there is a 'u' in c*nt' image

• there is no F in team is there?

Dont like Armstrong - never have to be honest - he looked a sore loser on Sunday - did he lose because he was riding to team orders then? - in which case when he won all his Tours was it only because of team orders to let him?

• bah! - theres some bitchin goin on here
  • Hi WW how are you these days?

I think Armstrong does that- either with him or not image

• The French were cheering him on on Sunday, He got a huge cheer when he went on the podium

Equipe even had the headline "Chapeau Armstrong"

• i don't think anyone is knocking him for being a seven time winner or for his third place.  i think it's amazing.  i think he's being knocked for being a <insert whatever expletive>.   maybe he's earned the right to be like that.  but i don't think it's a personal quality many people aspire to even if they'd like emulate his achievements.
  • Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

The French were cheering him on on Sunday, He got a huge cheer when he went on the podium

Equipe even had the headline "Chapeau Armstrong"

i wonder what the rest of the article said.
  • I dont see anyone is slagging LA off for his cycling - he's one of the best of all time.

Off the bike though - its all getting a bit childish.
  • Mrs FunkinMrs Funkin ✭✭✭

The whole twitter/LA/JB/AC stuff is sad really I think - put it this way, there are many other riders I would rather go for a beer with than LA....I am sure he isn't bothered though image  Whilst AC kind of irritates me, I appreciate what a rider he is and it must have been so difficult for him in a team that was acting in such a way.

On another note, my most favourite "old" rider has had his broken collar bone confirmed today.  How bloody tough is George Hincapie...riding the rest of le Tour, working his legs off for Cav.  Just amazing.  I guess there is no chance now though that he will be at the ToB.  Surely was slim before but boooo.

• Poor George - he did suspect it didnt he ?

He may be ok - maybe its just a minor break ? Be good to see him race here.
  • One thing that puzzles me about all this reporting on the Lance/Alberto divide is that nobody ever mentions Vino who made the sitation far worse than it was before the Tour.

At the Tourstart he and the Kazach cycling federation basically retake control of Astana, leaving Bruyneel all but on paper free to commit to LA's new team. Lance never really was fully part of Astana (I'm sure he said during the pay issues that he wasn't personally affected as he wasn't on the payroll), but I guess it was one of those deals where Astana got the publicity and Lance the tourstart in the strongest team, fairr enough.
    So there is Contador. Team mate that always had him own agenda and longstanding relationship with team boss, who's leaving with said team mate. Team mate gets half a minute on you early on. Tour route packed towards the end. Team mate unlikely to be stronger than you, but do you really want to leave it to ITT and Mont Ventoux as per instructions of team boss?
    Add to that the spanish (press) who love a good conspiracy (they created the Alonso/Hamilton situation too), and Alberto gets a bit nervous and removes the personal nightmare situation of Armstrong going into the third week ahead of him. Looking back, he could have just hit the TT like he did and just countered in the mountains, but hindsight is always easy.

Sound tactical decisions by Contador in the circumstances, and Lance and Johan unable to keep their comments to the team briefings adding to his trust issues.

Trouble is now that the spanish press keeps asking Contador about the team situation instead of celebrating his win and Alberto said some things he probably better kept to himself.

Contador rightful winner, Lance great personal achievement and publicity goldmine. Jobs done, so why don't they both (and Bryuneel) keep their traps shut now? Nobody gaining anything from mud slinging.