Base Training

Comments

• Will be starting my official base training next week after race though i have been running more slowly for a few weeks now although without HRM
    But will start next week i'm going to be very interested in what sort of improvements us base trainers will accomplish.
  • I did an hour today on thetready at the gym - I find it easy to tweak the speed that way. I did have a mini break when I got the overwhelming urge to pee after 42.5 minutes though!!

All felt very easy, which I suppose is the idea, although psychologically it feels odd not pushing myself at all. I can't help but wonder how much good it's doing, as it's so far removed from how I run when racing, it's hard to believe it's doing any good.

Okay - I never run 2 mins fast then two mins recovery in races either - but at least it's running at race pace (plus) for some of the time.

I must keep the faith, I must keep the faith!

Am I right in thinking that over the weeks I should be able to keep below 180 - age at a higher speed?

That's the whole idea isn't it, by building that ability, you going faster for the same (or less) effort [amount available fro fat burning becomes larger], and when you push the same as in races, the FB bit plus the other stuff adds up to more power and more speed?
  • WWWFR
    Sounds very good - each session will feel easier, but SLOWLY increase the mileage - ultimately you should be able to do MUCH more at this HR - that is part of the objective.
    Imagine a building (skyscraper) with the top 1/3 coloured red and the bottom 2/3 coloured green. The red is your anaerobic fitness and the green is aerobic.
    The red chunk cannot be increased much beyond it's current size - it shrinks easily and is rebuilt quickly.
    The green chunk is almost limitless in its growth. Build it up - as high as you can - and then put the red top back on again. Simple!
  • Thanks PM - makes sense. :)

I suppose it also feel odd that in spite of running for an hour I hadn't covered 6 miles, which I'd normally do in about 42 minutes.

I'm thinking I'll have to run for half as long again to cover the same distance as before - so instead of a 20 miler taking 2:40 or soemthing, I'm looking at a 4 hour run :(

Or have I missed the point?
  • So this base training is turning out to be quite good - I'm doing 2/3 half hour runs in the week, and an hour on Sunday. But there is one thing, and it happened the last time when I started to follow a 4 runs a week 10K schedule - I am really tired, and really really hungry! Part of this must be my work, but part of it has to be the increased exercise. I'm just a little worried about feeling over tired, and therefore not sticking with it because of this.

I eat three healthy meals a day, plus an unhealthy (biccies, chocolate, youghurt, cereal - just one, not all!) snack when I get home from work. I should probably eat more, as I tend to be quite thin, but I'm wondering, is this increased fatigue/hunger alright?
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hildegard,

The idea of base training (as I understand it) is that you should be able to run a lot more often, and a lot further, because you're keeping your heart rate down and therefore shouldn't get so tired because you're not getting lactic build up.

If you're feeling incredibly tired, the first question I'd ask is whether you're base training at a low enough heart rate? Have you used the 180-age formula to calculate your maximum aerobic heart rate? You may need to tweak the formula by a few beats depending on your current training level etc.

Not sure why you're so hungry though - perhaps because you're burning more fat exercising this way?
  • Thanks Minkin. I don't have an HRM, so I have been running at a pace which I find quite easy, hoping that this will do the trick. I shall try running even slower, and then perhaps I'll feel less tired. But it's more of a whole-body and mental tiredness, my legs feel absolutely fine.

As the for hunger, I'm one of those people who has to eat constantly. Also, the moment stress hits, I lose weight. I'm 5'8'', and 58 kilos. Wouldn't want to get any thinner. Wouldn't want to gain weight either, unless its muscle.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hi Hildegard,

I think you might find that you're actually running a lot faster than you probably should be. A HRM will help make sure that you're training within the correct zone for this type of base training - otherwise you WILL knacker yourself completely and also run the risk of injury. Most people find it very difficult to run at a slow enough pace to make base training effective. I've never felt the urge to use a HRM but if I am serious about base training properly (which I am) I realise that just relying on my own ability to 'feel' pace is not going to work (especially as I'm pretty crap at it!) Why not try using a HRM?
  • OK, I will try ultra-slow! I don't have an HRM for two reasons - first, I think it might make me view my training as too serious, as a sort of chore, and not fun any more. I'm here in Norway only temporarily, and life is a bit of a mess at the moment for various reasons. And on the practical front, I don't want to accumulate any more 'stuff', as it will just be more hassle to move back to the UK next June. So, perhaps I'll get one in time.
    Thanks.
  • Hi all

second lot of base training today. I programed my HRM to beep at me out side of my zone of 138 to 145 bmp. My watch records how much of my run was with in this zone, ie how consistantly I'm running, today I was in my zone 48% of the time.

I am running till the top beep sounds and walking til the bottom beep sounds. I managed an extra 100m today :-)
  • One of the benefits is I don't dread training now as I Don't feel shattered at the end of a session.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    JJ - what HRM have you got and how much was it? I need to get one - nothing too techie, but it needs to have the kinds of functions you describe.

Thanks!
  • Minkin

I have an very old polar :-)

Main things you need are

time and heart rate to show on the same screen.
    ability to set heart rate zones

don't go for the dinky ladies polars as they are too small to have the time and hr on the same screen, very annoying.

you will probably have to spend about £50.

If you find a good one tell me as I think mine is going to bite the dust soon.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Thanks JJ - that's v. helpful ... will let you know what I find.
  • Maplins do one for about £20.00 seems to have all the right features.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Thanks Chris - will check it out.

PM - did you get my email yesterday? Our work system is a bit erratic so I'm not sure you received it.
  • Oh great, it is raining here! Well, I shall do my run soon, very very slowly, and shall report back with the results!
  • Right then! I've just returned fro ma soaking run. I ran my 'usual' three laps of the local park. Approximately three miles. Instead of doing it in 30 minutes, I tried hard to slow it down, and managed 40 minutes instead. I have had more to eat over the course of the day, so it will be interesting to see if I'm so tired tomorrow.

The slower pace was good in that I did feel that I could go on 'forever'. Still, don't want to go too much too soon, so I'll stick with 40 minutes max for the next few weeks.

Thanks for all the advice!
  • Just worked out the 180-age heartrate thingy for my commencing base training is 145 bpm a big difference to the 129 i thought it was last week.

I do have a HRM but will probably need another as the ancient one i have only tells the time and your heart-rate (though you can do the upper and lower limit on it as well.

• Pammie, that's all I've got. What else do you need?

I think we all need to get this right for our level of fitness.

I thought it meant starting out mosts runs at 140-145 bpm (65% of WHR).

But Lydiard says you should build to as much as max aerobic running (165 bpm) as possible with it still being comfortable.

So plenty of invigorating runs without feeling really knackered.
  • SO what should we be doing?

Start low and build to 165bpm?
  • Over to Pantman, but I'm aiming at 2 or 3 1 hour+ 165 bpm per week by January.

And to be blitzing clubmates by then instead of chugging along behind.
  • Josie Jump,I agree. I don't train like this but can imagine the benefit mentally of not having to go 'eye-balls out' all the time when training. But I stiil can't fathom out this method of training but so many of the forumites are doing it, we'll surely see any benefits it offers in future race results!
    DCD
  • so

perceived rate of exertion ok then
  • BR. That's going some. If that's your target, can I train with you all the time??!!
  • By clubmates I exclude you, DB, MH etc!

But you lot raced tonight. I trained.
  • Just a note to add to this - fat burning increases with the length of an exercise session - so a long run may be better than doing shorter doubles if the main aim is to train the body to burn fat.

Also (as may have been mentioned) if you load up with sports drink etc then the body will use less fat - so presumably training first thing without breakfast is ideal ?
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Lydiard says you should build to as much as max aerobic running (165 bpm) as possible with it still being comfortable, as BR has mentioned above is this right because according to my stats i should be doing my base training at 145 bpm, but in the recent past before i got to grips with this base training i found myself running easily with no problems at around 160 bpm advice please
  • Pops - this is what I was told last weekend.
    During its overnight 'fast' your body is triggered into fat burning mode. If you go straight out without breakfast you are still burning fat, whereas having some food will mean that the energy from your breakfast is being burnt off first.

Not sure if this is true, but it sounds sensible.
  • Hi all,

Not feeling so tired today, but still very hungry! I only have minimal snacks for this afternoon, but I today is a rest day. I'm sure I'll feel fine tomorrow.