Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Post from Mark, out of swim in 1.45, strong current, safely off on bike.imageimage
  • Just in myself, long run went better than last week, but less wind and quite hot, got a bit short of water sotime for a nice drink and shower now. Go LMH!image
  • Over half way on bikeimage, problems with nnot enough water though.
  • Elspeth - well done on long run and glad you felt better this week.  Fingers crossed on the water supply for LMH.  image
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Fingers crossed with the water supply for LMH.

Did a 4.3 mile run this morning,  It was only meant to be 4 miles but misjudged the distance and have just finished refurbishing 2 alloy wheels which Chris wants to get on ebay.  I've got the other 2 tomorrow then he can spray them up.

EDIT - managed to find a couple of potential suitable yoga dvds from the library.

• HY4 - well done on 4.3 mile run and for doing .3 more than you expected - it's all miles in the bank.  Glad you found a yoga dvd.  image

Off out shortly on bike ride.   image

• LMH off bike and into run about 3pmimage, organisation sounds bad her OH is now bike marshalling as the officials have gone and still folk on course!

HY that's good ,you're building up mileage nicely.

Took nearly 10 minutes off last week's run time, exactly the same route - I'm sticking to small roads after Tuesday's experience - but I think the difference was the lack of wind and the sunshine -was in a hurry to get back before I ran out of water!

Was thinking of going to the Agricultural show (big day here) but smallest daughter doesn't want to so think we will laze in the garden instead. Us two home alone this weekend, p in Shetland kayaking and T gone south for a race. Nice to be quiet after a busy week, though loads of things I should be doing.image

Hot off press - bike time about 4hr 20.image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Elspeth,

I think I'm going to stop at this distance for a while until I get my back sorted out.  We think that it's my desk at work which is causing all the problems because as the weekend progresses I have more movement & less pain..

Good news about the bike time.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

xpost with Elspeth,

Chris has summed up your post perfectly wtf it's an international event!

EDIT actually not xpost with Elspeth only numpty not reading post properly!

• Been to Basingstoke today and did my first Parkrun.  28.18 for 5k and boy was it  hot even at 9 am
  • Thats a good time Brodget, I hate 5K's. Too scary image

Elspeth & HY4. Well done on your runs today. Glad they went well.

Go LMHimage She's motoring is she not??!! I hope she's ok with lack of water etc.

Ran 4 miles this morning, my foot was ok. I can feel it but I think its just bruised.

• Sorry thought I had posted, she finished just under an hour agoimage Don't know official time but sounds good.
  • Ooh, brilliant! The suspence is killing me....
  • Hooray, I now have a dongle and internet access from my laptop!

V exciting re LMH, must be good news if finished so quick!

Well done on your 5k Bridget, I agree with Mrs Mac re 5ks being too scary. I haven't done one for years (well, not counting sprint tris)

Good news re your foot Mrs M, house work is dangerous

Probably too late but good luck tomorrow Shades

Currently at my parents looking after Dad, Mum in hospital, has had op to pin broken femur. Going to be a big change in their lives when she comes home, worrying me a lot at the moment, trying to push things along with social workers, OTs etc but too many unknowns to do much at present. But have been doing a bit of running and cycling in the early mornings image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LMH,

Well done.

Bridget.,

I noticed that with my run because that was about the same time.

Mrs Mac,

I've found somewhere (can't remember where) which is going to have the results up so will check there because I think i know which age group she's in.

EDIT - no results up as yet.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mrs Mac,

I think so but am not sure.

• Hi guys! Rushed as usual - just waiting for my gluten free pasta to be cooked!

Thanks for all the support today. A hard day at the office with one thing and another but it was good to know that you were there! Swim time was from Marks watch but won't be very different - bike spilt as yet unknown but much slower than hoped for (a 4k drag each 20k lap saw to that!) but somehow I managed to do enough on the run to get under my target time so I've got to be pleased with that. The petrol station on each bike lap gave the temp as 28C, they ran out of water on bike and run but Mark and Team GB looked after us.

More when I'm home! 

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Must be she's done really well.

Sluggie - difficult time for you and your parents. Hope your mum is able to get home eventually though.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LMH,

Can't wait for the report.  Well done.

• LMH, you are awesome imageimage Enjoy the rest of your trip , can't wait to hear the report image
  • Sparkly - great 5k time in this heat - well done.  image

Mrs Mac - well done on getting out there with iffy foot.  image

Sluggie - feel for you.  Take each day as it comes and the medics will make the right decisions for her recovery and convalescence.  Have been there with my Mum when she broke both the little and large bone just above her ankle some years ago, but she got there and she's walking good again.  Thinking of you and your family.  image

Elspeth - well done on getting run done 10 mins earlier and know that awful feeling when the water starts going too quickly and there's nowhere to get any more or it's near enough home to think you won't need it and it's a case of "oh stuff it, dig in and just do it!".  image

LMH - superstar triathlete - 28oC and you did it in an excellent time.  So proud of you.  Simply awesome - can't wait for the report!  image

Wanted so much to go out for a bike ride today, but have been a lazy little blighter instead.  My excuse - knees were drawing a bit and felt tired, which might indicate slight ITB flare up, so rest today and strengthening and rollering lots tonight.  Nice weather and long may it continue.  image

• ClagClag ✭✭✭

LMH, Mrs Mac & JP - well done to all of you on your fantastic results! Great endurance from you all. I'm well impressed.

Back from hols - had a great time. Covered 120 miles mountain biking (rode the World Cup Circuit at the Witches Trails - very tough - how they do it 7 times back to back is beyond me), 10 under the Ben, and lots of other trails. Also walked up Ben Nevis - just under 6 hours up and down - although it took it's toll in that the following day I could barely get down the stairs. Managed biking anyway as different muscles, only problem was getting on and off the bloody bike. Almost had to lower it to the ground!

For all of you who enjoy hills, or like a bit of a tri challenge, there is both a triathalon that involves a swim in the loch and a run up the Ben, and a Ben Nevis hill race every year. Sounds great! I was almost tempted by the hill race, but having experience more pain the day after walking up it than I did after running my first and only marathon, I'm not quite convinced it's for me. However, would love to watch, so if anyone needs a support crew.... image

Have a scheduled run today of 14 miles, but not sure that the legs have it. Will head out later and see what happens.

Shades - happy birthday! image

• Clag - Good to have you back and glad you had a good holiday.

Don't think I fancy running up Ben Nevis somehow, I like walking up them! I could be in the support crew too!

Good luck with that run.image

• ClagClag ✭✭✭
    I did it - am completely shattered, but managed to complete my 14 miles in 2:14, average pace of 9:36. Don't like running with music anymore, and had the unfortunate tune of the ice cream van that had come round the street just before I left looping round and round and round in my head!
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Clag,

Well done, Shame about the ice cream van.

• Good morning!

Home and safe if not quite sound very late last night. In-laws are here until tomorrow so should be able to catch up and write a report then. I'd be grateful if someone could give me a little update of any important news?

Clag - well done on the 14 miler after all of that!

Flossie - hope the ITB settles down.

HY4 - are you all better now?

I'm so tired, headachey and achey. Very depleted and I think it might take a little while to rebuild, for someone who finds it incredibly difficult to lose weight coming back from my 'holiday' a kg lighter is an achievement - bet it goes back on quickly though! Met some lovely people in Team GB and support crew and was accosted by three Italian men in Prague yesterday (we had to check out of the hotel in the morning and were transferred to the airport at 1900hrs so spent the day walking the old town!). I thought the men were drunk when one of them grabbed my hand and started going on about 'Great Britain, European Champions' but thankfully Mark saw that one of them was sporting an Ironman rucksack before I hurt him! They were fellow triathletes congratulating me in the team's success and eager to share stories of a hard race and no water - of which more later.

It was great having you lot here to think about and fall back on. Thank you all for being so interested and supportive.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LMH,

Wow, good to hear we did good.

I'm not all better yet.  Running wise I'm getting there however we've found out why my back keeps causing me problems and it's something to do with the desk at work.  I'm due to have a 'proper' desk assessment today so will have to see what that brings.

• A mass ive congratulations LMH and welcome home!

• Yes welcome home and well done LMHimage No wonder you feel exhausted.

Don't think you've missed much while you've been away, it's been a very quiet weekend on here.