Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

(((VR)))

Hope the holiday helps getting your running mojo back.  I was planning on doing intervals this morning however knew I wouldn't be able to concentrate properly because of Millie so switched to a productive 3k tempo run.

• VR - I hope that the break perks you up, you sound as though you may be a little run down?

Elspeth - well done! That's a good time. As for your son, well, when can we expect to see him on the television? A pox on work - they're taking the mickey.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • I think I might have said "I've drunk a full bottle of Vodka - sorry!" to your boss Elspeth!

Well done on the half though - I need a sleep after a race. You couldn't get me to go to work at the best of times, but I wouldn't dream of going after running!image

• LMH - It was his first halfimage. He was actually on TV at Great Scottish 10k but didn't have a good run. His mate did though and was 11th overall.

Work couldn't be helped this time as junior had to go to Aberdeen with a patient. Sadly there is another possible case this evening. Feel sleepy now but kids wanting tea - had hoped they'd get hungry enough to cook it themselves!image

LB - Re the bottle of vodka - they'd never believe me!

• Elspeth, unplug the phone! Well done on the 1/2, especially in that wind.

Shades, glad you had a good holiday.

HY4, really glad your cat's ok - pets are such a worry.

The Bunny had been adopted the day before we arrived image I was so upset 'cos I was looking forward to seeing a 'Bilbo lookalike'. It was not to be. Went for a run with my sister-in-law who is just getting back into running after having her third baby along with her friend. Ate far too much image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

MrsMac,

Thanks.  Sorry to hear you missed out on the bunny.

• Mrs Mac - Sorry about the bunnyimage, can they keep an eye out for another for you? Was that the sister in law who was at Lochaber or was she your sister - I'm easily confused?
  • UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭

Evening

HY4...is Millie back yet? I hate the house when the cats are still away at the cattery...feels empty somehow

LMH - The Bustinskin tri is in the area where I grew up....the course avoids some of the really big hills in the area but -apart from the run into burton along the valley - the course is very undulating with no break between the undulates and the return to Weymouth from Burton is probably the hilliest bit. The run is also off road and hilly.....plus a sea swim off Portland with have some odd currents to contend with too.

Mrs Mac....do you think you might want another bunny in your life now?

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Cas,

She's back.  We picked her up at 1 pm.  She's looking thiner that yesterday morning however think she soon put on the weight she lost with all the vomitting she did.

• Thanks for the Cas.

Mrs Mac - obviously not meant to be with the rabbit. I should imagine it takes a lot for you to eat too much given the miles you run!

Elspeth - illness or accidents causing your call outs?

• Welcome back Shades, sounds like a great week

Glad Millie is OK, pets can be such a worry! I am missing our 18-year-old moggy while I'm away but reports say he is quite happy with the cleaning lady and intermittent presence of Mr Sluggie. Hope to pop back and see him this week.

Well done to you and your son Elspeth, fab times especially in the wind

Sorry about the bunny Mrs M, your reaction shows you really want one again!

Still stranded in sunny Telford, no news on Mum coming out of hozzie; she is waiting for a rehab bed but that may never become available, in which case she will be discharged to transitional care at home...I need to make some contingency plans for my Dad as I will really have to get back to work by the end of the month. Have to grit teeth in conversations with Mum as although she has all her marbles and insists on being kept in the loop she's liable to get fixated on stuff like whether  I've returned her library books, instead of bigger stuff like whether I am going get a stair lift installed or arrange carers!

14 miles (ish) done this morning so at least marathon plans are progressing

• Crikey! Did you see Bolt run the 100meters in 9.58 image Amazing!
    And Jessica Ennis win Gold in the Heptathlon. What a night!
  • LMH - UltraCas knows the area better than me, but will vouch for hilliness from Burton to Weymouth (favourite cycle training area years ago) and have heard that this tri is very popular and a real toughie.  It's on the same date as NF Mara and Half and would love to have come down there as it's quite near to Poole.  image  However, it would be an ideal event to test your fitness for IMWA.  image

Elspeth - many congratulations on the PB and also to your son, who won.  Do you think he could do marathons about 2:30 or 2:45?  208 did frighten me and wondered if it was a bit dodgy and that's why I woke up early to do that RHR test.  You are amazing and there is no way I could have gone to work straightaway after a race.  image

Mrs Mac - sorry to hear about the bunny.  image

Went to the beach this afternoon with suntan oil really excited and came back like a cinnamon doughnut.  Not as warm as we thought it would be and a constant westerly wind, which blew the sand along the beach.  image  We took our boards down and not enough surf today, but you never can tell and sometimes when it's windy it can be real fun down there.  image

• Missed the athletics 'cos I was on the phone!! Sounds great.

That must be hard for you at the moment Sluggie, glad you had a good run.

I'm rethinking the pet situation at the moment.

• VR - Yeah i saw both, cut my treadmill run short as for reasons that escape me i was having trouble remaining in the centre or not going to fsr back when Jess was on screen.

Interestingly the 100m now has a faster ave speed than the 200m, well until Tuesday i think it is for the final.

• (((Sluggie))) - once your Mum is moved from hospital to a rehab bed or transitional care at home, then you'll get a better of idea of what she'll need.  Well done on doing 14 miles under the circumstances.  image

VR - Bolt's got a great name hasn't he?  So apt for the event.  image

• Thanks Flossie. Have just been watching the athletics too really pleased for Jessica Ennis and amazed by Bolt
  • VR - Yes the athletics was really excitingimage.

Sluggie - must be really hard to get things sorted for your folks. Hope you get help soon.

Flossie - At the minute T does mostly 5 and 10k, this was his first half and don't think he has any marathon plans. Just glad the call in to work was after the race not before - though I might not have said that at the time as was quite nervous that would do a bad run. I don't tend to feel too bad afterwards and had had a chance to shower and eat.

LMH - No accidents so far this weekend thankfully and also have heard no more about the possible third callout so fingers crossed for a quiet night.image

• Well done to Elspeth and Son of Elspeth image

Been on the beach as well today Flossie, took the kids to Swanage for a picnic.  I have a red stripe where my t-shirt and jeans parted company image

• Elspeth - T may want to consider marathon after that amazing result.  He's a little star!  Hope you get a quiet night.  image

Sparkly - do you live quite near?  Swanage only down the road from us.  Have a lovely holiday - just over 24 hours for you to depart from UK.  I'm saying it now just in case you get too busy to come online again between now and when you go.  image

Right, off to bed for me too.  image

• Morning. Off to 'work' today - glad it's at the uni so the environment is comfortable for me and I know my new boss too.

Sluggie - it's a really difficult situation you find yourself in. I hope the hospital are helping you with arrangements. Well done on keeping the training going.

Flossie - I'm having a real battle with myself over the tri. Coach wants me to race and if I want to qualify for Team GB next year I need to but I'm not strong on hills and it's a long way to travel and Mark wouldn't be able to come with me so would be quite stressful with having to do all of the driving etc alone. May have to give up international aspirations for next year and think again the year after.

Elspeth - how old is your son? A 75 minute half marathon gets men a champs start at London - he's got potential! Glad the third call out didn't come.

Bridget - Mark had a similar strip last year after Almere - we called it his 'go faster' stripe image

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Morning all.   Still haven't had a chance to read back on the threadimage, and my emails are stacking up nicely at 355 and I haven't had time to open the post either!

6.58 miles for me this morning, bit humid.

Back to work today, must remember not to drive to my usual office as working from new offices today, will be a bit like starting a new job, new workmates etc

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

VR,

Yep was glued to the tv last night.  That guy is amazing and if he didn't start looking around at the end he would be even quicker I thiink.

• Ooh - good luck at the new office Shades! I know what you mean about driving to the wrong place. Almost drove to Brownies last night instead of Miss LB's friend's house on autopilot! image

Everything new today for LMH too! Hope it goes well honey!

Sluggie - I'm amazed you're keeping up with the training with all you have on your plate at the moment! Sometimes its good to have a distraction from the troubles of the world though, isn't it?

Elspeth - there is no way on God's green earth you would get me to go to work and lose the entrance fee on a race! I'm so glad they called afterwards. T sounds like a SERIOUSLY good runner! Must be in the blood!image

Flossie - stop rubbing it in about the good weather in the south! It's bloody FREEZING up here, windy and rainy and I'm heartily sick of it already! image

Got up this morning with NO pain in the achilles. I am cautiously optimistic and will continue to stretch like a demon. I even stretch them in my sleep now! image I am under no illusions that I am in any way cured though - watch this space!

Did a big shop yesterday ready for the French visitors! Love my S-I-L.image She gave me a place to live when I was a mixed up, angry teenager with serious issues. I thanked her by marrying her little brother! image At the time she was quite alarmed, as I was deemed most unsuitable, but 18 years later, we haven't killed each other.....image

• Hi all - Day off image

Good luck to LMH in new job and Shades in new office.image

Meant to be heading out for a run but must admit I'm quite tired.

Question for Shades/LMH/Mrs Mac - How important is 22 mile run as should do this this weekend but don't want to be too tired as another HM the weekend after. Put in writing sounds like I'm being a wimp but somehow 20 is less frightening than 22!

LB - Only time I got called in when was meant to be racing there had been a serious car accident with a lot of major injuries - so no way would I not go in! Enjoy your visitors.

• Elspeth - there is also the third option of a 16-18 mile run with the last 4-6 miles ran at marathon pace rather than the slower long run pace. Has the same sort of effect of a longer slower run i believe. Teaches you to run at the correct pace when tired too.
  • UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭

LMH....if the Bustinskin had been any other weekend I'd have happily come down to Dorset to sherpa for you but I have a race that weekend. It is a tough course but you have the next month to go out on the bike and do hills, hills and more hills....and even if you're not that fast at ascending, you can work on your descents too which is more a matter of courage than leg muscle.

Elspeth....I always look at mileages on the plan as a best case scenario and if I'm tired or life gets in the way I adjust it....the aim is to get to the start line in the best possible condition not to wear yourself out/injure yourself along the way

LB...fingers crossed for that achilles

Shades...Sounds like you've had a lovely week.

Bridget...you're a runner so a comedy tan is de riguer image

• Elspeth - there is an unwritten rule round here that if you're a medic and there's a major incident, providing you're sober, you go in! Of course you did the right thing on that occasion. My MiL went straight to the hospital after the Warrington bombing and she was a very welcome extra pair of nursing hands I can tell you!

Foam rolled my calves with a particularly hard foam roller this morning and I was amazed by the difference. Achilles are MUCH happier when the calves are rolled out (although it hurt a LOT to do it)

Ended up doing 4 miles in just over 37 minutes. Not so fast that I was dying but pain free and encouraging.image

Elspeth - fwiw my plan doesn't include a 22 mile run and I wasn't fussed. image

• LMH - that would be a shame if you have to give up international selection for next year through one race.  However, would have thought participation in IMWA more than qualified you for selection unless the distance is too long for consideration.  Can totally understand you not wanting to travel and set up on your own with a triathlete event especially if you have not done that particular event before.  Good luck today with the new boss today at uni and have fun.  image

Shades - hope you had a good day at the new office.  image

LB - you'll have to move down here then.  image  You sound like you're doing really well with that achilles situation.  I can often be found foam rollering around the flat just before going to bed - can't beat it for the relief.image

Elspeth - enjoy day off.  image

Right off out in a moment and will come back on later.  

• Thanks for the advice folks, quite like Keith's suggestion but will see how I feel at weekend.image

Nice sunny day today and wind gone, done 8.5 miles with some friends, should have gone further but quite tired.

Had busy morning as son (who is doing summer work here) got told he was being sent to Ireland at an hour's notice - got him to the plane on time - not sure how long for.

Going to be lazy this afternoonimage