Cardiff Half-Marathon

im looking forward to doing this as i have only ever done a 10K run

Comments

• Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭

Its a nice flat and fast course image
  • If I survive Zurich I'll do it. image
  • glad to hear its a flat course i been looking on their web site and some of the route looks ace cant wait
  • I've signed up for it.  Go on Nam, it will be good to have something to focus on after Zurich image
  • Do you think they'll allow mobility scooters? image

I've checked, and yes Nam they do.
  • Head GoneHead Gone ✭✭✭
    So they'll probably allow Mick 'n' Phil then, unlike Bristol.
  • Welsh Alex wrote (see)
    I've checked, and yes Nam they do.
    image er... sorted then...
  • sorry - 24 quid is a rip off - not for me this year - that's full marathon prices
  • for this years run i payed £28 that was done threw their web site
  • bloody hell - even more of a rip off!

far better and quicker half a week later in torfean for 12 quid - that'll be my choice

• yeah true, but its something i dout i will do for a long time due to moving so  i thought yeah why not, and i can test my self see if can do it or not, and it also looks like really really  good fun
  • Once again the cost of race entry appears to be causing much discussion.I had a similar thread regarding the Bath Half and there seems to be a 50/50 split on whether high entry fees are justified.
    I don't object paying for a "Big city" race if it is well organised and managed by all parties.That includes the local council and police who are involved in road closures etc.Understandably their costs increase year on year and so it is the runner who ultimatley has to stump up the cash.
    In the case of Cardiff with it being one of the "smaller" Big cities it is understandable that many roads still have to stay open and it is a logistical nightmare to close,or get permission even,to close the ones that need to be closed.
    Torfean for £12 is damn good value,similar in some ways to my favourite "small" half,Hereford.

However Cardiff does need the extra to pay it's way.It is still a difficult choice for some but I do believe it is a case of use it or lose it.

I'll be there! And hopefully Torfean the week after!

Enjoy life! Enjoy running! 

• j0n3syj0n3sy ✭✭✭

I signed up last night for this. Balked at the £28 entry fee (Also entered the Tour of Torfaen at £16 the week after!). I notice this years half marathon is now a field of 9000 rather than 7500 and its going to be live on C4 and S4C!

I do think the cost is a little OTT though! Last week I ran the Torbay 1/2 and for just over half that price I got superb organisation, a real running top (rather than a cheap cotton thing) and a very stylish medal. 

Go figure!

• I've entered and can't wait, glad the grasscrete has gone this year.

A nice fast course and good organisation so don't mind the entry fee.

Cross fingers for sub 1:40 in this one.
  • I agree with the comment about Torbay,but then again look at the money tourists bring in.As much as I love Cardiff (and for an Englishman that still isn't too painful!) though it still needs more cash to do the same as Torbay.
    Has anyone here ever organised an event and kept within budget?

Anyone doing the Tour of Torfaen the week after ? It is a real good one.
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Missing the tour this year as doing a few maras in the autumn. Hopefully pacing Cardiff again. Torfaen wonderful finish in the stadium and medal from the mayor (In his full rig) is a bit special. Cardiff keeps improving and please remember, this is the only big city mara organised by a normal, everyday charity and it also helps other charities too. It's a reasonably good, fast, well organised course so look forward to seeing some of you there.
  • I'm in - though in nothing like the shape I was 2 years ago when I managed a 1:45.

I'll be very happy with anything under 2.00 hrs!!

• If you do 1:59:59 EXACTLY I'll buy you a beer!image
  • Don't forget the £5.40 to get into the country image

just signing up, this will be my PB attempt for this year.
  • Looking forward to this, Not run for a couple of weeks now. Tonight i get back into it. I need to because I have Bristol in a couple of weeks
  • this will be my 2nd half marathon, afer only taking up running at the begining of the year.

im looking forward to it, but think the price is way OTT, i did wolves to brum (1hour 58mins) a few months ago and it was only £12, so cardiff is over double,

and quite a few people i talk to in the gym and running club refuse to do cardiff, simply down to the price of it.

i have not run for about a month due to injury, but still hoping on a sub 2 hours

• Nice one Hovis like you started at the start of the year, done a couple of halfs now and still dreaming of that 2hour mark

It will come with a lot of hard work. My knee wont like it, but hes got no say in the matter

• Hovis
    Is that a Les Croupiers vest you are wearing?

• indeed it is,

it was taken at the wolves to brum half marathon a few months ago

• Hi

I did the Cardiff HM twice in the past and unfortunately it suffered from some poor organisation with the start area.  Has the start changed for the better?  (Specifically it was tight and narrow before)  (I'm possibly going to use Cardiff as a crack at my HM PB or at least to see where I need improve)

And can anyone recommend a B&B close by?  (Bit late I know)

Thanks

• DB9
    There are quite a few B&Bs on Cathederal Rd,about 10 minute walk from the start,though they usually get booked up quite quickly.There's also Travellodge and Big Sleep hotels in the city centre,again just 10 minutes walk from the start. 
  • Spike

merci bien.  I will enter soon but it will be a last minute decision to race or not and take up accom.  From the site it seems the course has changed a bit due to the increasing number of runners.  Did you have any thoughts/comments on the start as this really was an issue before?

• DB9 

The start for the past couple of years has been poorly managed, no real starting pens or adequate marker posts. Quite poorly marshalled (only because they didn't have as many available).
    There will always be the problem of people starting at unrealistic points as well, Cardiff is no exception.
    It was a very tight first bend last year as well,it came after the first 200 yards and was a real problem for the faster runners as they were impeded by the waddling ones.
    Toilet facilities were better last year than before but still inadequate. It wasn't helped by officious twits in City Hall not allowing people in to use the loos!
    Further thought on accomodation. There are student halls available, Cardiff Uni,like may others,need an income to fund activities, so it may be worth contacting them also to see what is available.   

Without wanting to stir things up, too much, one particularr club member who is not wholly supportive of the Half .There have been posts on other threads that slag the event off to kingdom come. Be aware they are generated by one person using many different names!

Cardiff will never be a Great North or a Glasgow but it does improve year on year.

Hope to see you there!