Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

Ooh - I like the £69 price tag better than the £147 one!

Are you in touch with your feminine side then JP or is this the result of living with two wimmin? image

Not my feminine side you have seen the length of my hair!!.
  • Options

LMH - you've got a good fizzy there.  So, you'll be better soon and raring to go again.  image  Gusts - the darn things tried to blow me back home off the bike this morning and didn't realise how directly west the school was.  image  Have biked in worse weather than that mind.  Flew home this afternoon and got absolutely soaked, but at least could change quickly and get into some warm clothes.  Absolutely ravenous for food today at school - children are always eating and don't know how I managed to say 'NO' to the Thorntons chocolates that Lesley brought in to celebrate her birthday in the hols.  There were only 11 out of 80 chocs left this afternoon when I finished the lunch shift - gaud knows who eats them all!  image

Mrs Mac - thanks very much for lovely photo of adorable Alfie.  He's so cute....image

LB - like the price tag JP found better than the first one for hair straighteners, although JP does seem to have very short hair.  image  Staying with my shaggy dog style and in these high winds it doesn't take much to keep it in style either.  image

• Options

Forgot to wish Miss LB a happy birthday - very remiss of me and I do apologise, I was too wrapped up in my frustration with my back.

Elspeth - that sounds easy! How big is a bunch of watercress though? I have two 3" square pots of the stuff which I think is ready - I'm assuming I just need to cut it off like you would do with ordinary cress? Enjoy the book.

Flossie - it is very windy here, wouldn't want to be out on my bike! You did very well resisting the Thorntons, I don't think I could have.

I've been on the turbo for an hour - fingers crossed the back doesn't object.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

Flossie - I would have  resisted for about 2 minutes!

LMH - How much - I'm not sure, probably at least a potfull. It should be very green, you may just have to try and see.

Happy Birthday Miss LB. Hope your mum has made a big cake!image

It is raining torrentially out and JS in half an hour! Wonder how many folk will come.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    LB -
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

Shades - our bar bill in Dublin will be more than that! image

I don't think so...not unless you are a very heavy drinker..LOL

LMH - good news that you were back on the turbo today

Elspeth - watercress soup sounds lovely

• Options

LB - Happy Birthday to Miss LB - lots and lots of apologies from me too.  Got a bit sidetracked with the cost of the hair straighteners.  image

LMH and Elspeth - tummy says I shouldn't have said 'no' to choccies.  Going to have to go off and eat something soon.  Elspeth good luck with JS - you need a brolly hat...cgi.ebay.co.uk/FISHING-HUNTING-CAMPING-BROLLY...  image

• Options
    LMH - hope you had fun on the turbo.  image
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LMH,

That's good news.

LB,

Happy birthday to Miss LB.  I'm not surprised you said no.

MrsMac,

Love the piccie of Alfie.

---------------

Groin/hip is much easier & I've not had any painkillers today.  I can walk better, not sure if I want to try a run, maybe at the weekend or I may wait until Monday/Tuesday as I've got a long weekend.

• Options

Flossie - everyone would KNOW I was nuts if I wore one of those!

Just me, one other and a lot of the wet stuff out tonight. Only did 5.5 miles but good to get out after a very frustrating day at work. I think more rain has fallen today than the whole summer.

Shades - the soup is good, I feel like something a bit less healthy now though!

• Options
    Elspeth - different eh?  Well done for getting out there in the wet.  Have a lovely evening.  image
  • Options

I bet the other person was glad that you turned up Elspeth! May try the watercress soup tomorrow seeing as I have everything I need and it looks like a good low cal filler.

Flossie - how was your first day back?

My back is no worse than it has been - I still haven't had any painkillers today, though I shall shortly as I could use some sleep, so I guess turboing is ok. Thank goodness.

• Options
    LMH - absolutely cream crackered if you want God's honest truth.  Am off to bed.  So glad you've turboed because backs need mobility, but only so much while they're healing.  Nite nite.  image
  • Options
    Hi shades - me too

thanks
  • Options

Morning.image

I've hit the mid training blues like a brick wall and I hate it. It 's been coming on for a couple of weeks though!

Running is stupid, ankles hurt, hip niggles, even my heels are starting to tell me I'm developing PF (never had it, but every little knock is something major) I can't sleep and everyone is ugly - especially me. The thought of running a 17 miler in the morning is making me feel extremely nervous and the voices in my head are telling me I'm wasting my time and I'm an imposter. And I'm going to snap my ankles and have arthritis by Christmas! image

I'd have profiteroles for breakfast if I could have dairy......image

You're all lovely so I thought I'd vent here! And I don't have PMT! image

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

(((LB))) - why not postpone your long run for a few days until you get your mojo back.   I think you're tired and need some sleep to revive your energy.   You don't need to be a slave to your schedule.

I haven't run this morning as I was so tired yesterday I knew I needed a longer sleep, it means I won't make my mileage target this week but that's OK, I've had 3 highish mileage weeks so a step back one won't do any harm and I feel totally revived this morning.

HY4 - have you definitely decided not to run your race on Sunday?

Richard - drop me an email, can't send attachments via RW

LMH - hope the back is a little better today

Elspeth - that's good that one hardy soul turned up for JS.  

• Options

Shades - one of the other leaders turned up too but since I was there let me get on with it!

LB - Cheer up. I feel like that about work at the minute. Sounds like you need some food treats and maybe a day off.

Busy day deckons, bye.

• Options

LB - are you taking iron tablets? Is there someone you can run with? Are you still seeing the physio on the 7th? If you may be getting PF (I often feel on the verge of this) just start doing the exercises for it - they're really easy whilst you're watching tv and before you get out of bed in the morning. You're going to be tired after the holidays and you now have to adjust back to the school routine. You are most definitely not an imposter and you can do it - but it's supposed to be fun, so only bother if you want to. Nothing better for the mojo than an enforced rest I've found - even if it only was one day that I couldn't exercise it's made me realise that I do want to!

Flossie - I'm not surprised, getting back into the routine is going to take a little while I guess.

Shades - you must have needed the sleep, glad you feel better for it.

Back is definitely no worse from yesterdays turbo session thankfully so there shall be more of the same today - hope doing the shopping doesn't cause me back problems.

• Options

LB - You need an incentive and/or something to distract you. Get Mr LB to cook you dinner or take you out afterwards, book a massage, arrange to have your hair done or something (or all of them).

On you run you need to distract yourself. Listen to that new album, plan a route that is interesting, etc. I have found concentrating on pace really helps as does rehearsing your fueling. I have started drinking (water) every 2.5 miles and taking a walking break while I do this, and a gel every 5 miles.

If thinks are hurting I was told to think about why these are hurting. i.e. how are me feet hitting the floor, what are me knees, hips, etc doing. Then if I do this does it hurt more or less.

Hope you find your mojo.

• Options

LB - Ditto image I haven't ran for nearly 3 WEEKS image

Some good advice coming in though.

I have ditched my domestic morning and have put on my gym stuff and heading off to the gym, see if that helps. I could just go for a run but I don't want to. I need a massive kick up the arse........................ 

• Options

my tuppence worth - run because you want to not because you ought. Running is my time so if its not fun...of course not every step of a  run can be 100% enjoyable image . When I am reluctant to lace up my trainers I promise myself just 15 mins - I rarely turn back but sometimes its the best thing to do.

Hope you all have a great w/e - PSC is off to play in another duck-poo filled pond (Vitruvian); I'm heading north with a packed car of freshly labeled clothing and tuck - where has the Summer gone?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

bo-bo - wise words.   The summer has gone so quickly, pity Jnr hasn't yet mastered his own labeling of kit/clothes.

VR - you will soon get back into training.  The rest has probably done you a lot of good and maybe that troublesome shin has healed up.

LMH - that's promising news on the back, don't overdo the turbo today though

Wolverhampton marathon for me this weekendimage

• Options
    If only Shades. After a class I went on the treadmill and immediately my shin hurt. I toughed it out for 2.5 k then gave up. I have a descion to make.
    Carry on regardless with regular sport massages to finish my one a month marathons til the end of the year OR stop running altogether and give it a few months rest.
  • Options

Just an hour Shades - had intended to do two as back definitely better this morning than yesterday morning, though obviously still not right, but despite a better nights sleep I couldn't raise the HR without unsustainable effort and my head wasn't in to so I quit after an hour - not like me.

VR - is it shin splints?

Elspeth - have just eaten watercress soup, made it with one pot of the home grown watercress in the end, it looked rather worrying but tasted so good I've had seconds! Can't be may calories in it - especially as I sweated the onion and potato rather than frying them so I shan't jump back on the turbo as penance image

• Options

LMH - Yes it is.

I love Watercress soup too. I make the same but with spinach. Yummy.

• Options
    Oh dear VR - I guess it depends on how important it is for you to finish the 'marathon a month' thing then vs how important it is for you to be able to enjoy your running and run pain free? I hope you can find the right solution for you.
  • Options

Just in and so tired! Had loads to do at work today and everyone a bit fractiousimage. Still we made good progress and got everything doneimage.

VR - Oh no - I was really looking forward to seeing you again at Loch Nessimageimage. Must get you better - it's a tough thing you're doing this one marathon a monththing though.

I'm a bit lacking in motivation too and scared because have skimped on the training for Moray. Hope I can scrape round.

LMH - Read the book  last night and enjoyed it. Not so sure about his epitaph -"at least he didn't walk", mine might have to be "at least she didn't walk much". Does anyone else want it or shall I send it back to Clag? Glad the soup worked fine.

• Options

Hello all just popping in for the first time in ages - been oldie-sitting then working so this will be my first proper weekend at home for 5 weeks. Have kept up with what everyone's been doing, intermittently  . Good luck to all who are racing or long-running at the weekend.

I have an entry for Wolves half but may bin it in favour of a LDWA event on Saturday which I think I would enjoy more as the scenery would be better and there is cake image- would 22 miles of hilly run-walk would an adequate substitute for 13 miles on the flat do you think?

VR - only you can decide but I know I regret doing one too many maras to fulfil a self-imposed obligation when I was a little bit injured and then I ended up really badly injured...

• Options

I ran last night after 19 days off!

Sitting in the hairdressers waiting for A this afternoon and as there were no copies of Hello or OK around I read one of these with my cuppa

http://www.220triathlon.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/160px_wide/issue/220_238_cover%20main.jpg

• Options

Evening all

Sorry haven't had a chance to read back really....been to Poland for work and I'm shattered - left home at 2am on wednesday and got back at 2am this morning and just done a full day in the office due to training on some new softwareimage

My shoulders and neck are still pretty painful and sitting in a car and plane for hours hasn't helped image

(((((to other injured peoples)))))

Shades - I'm doing Roth in Germany....not an IM branded race but it's the challenge that attracts me rather than the corporate branding

JP - I'm not racing as a pirate as I have issues with people having to dress or act a certain way to be accepted. To me it is who you are as a person that counts and not the way you look or dress. I asked on the pirate kit thread about wearing a pink version and was told in no uncertain terms that I would "look a prat" etc. That was my first real venture into considering wearing the skull and cross bones but will the way the response was worded I do not intend to go against my principles and do my own thing as I generally do in life. I'm not saying that anyone who races in pirate kit is wrong, it's just not right for me.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

VR - sorry to hear about the shin hurting so soon into your run.   Perhaps the treadmill makes you run  more on your forefoot and faster, both which may make the shin hurt more.

LMH - an hour is still good going, try and be a little patient (not easy for you I know)

sluggie - how is your Mum recovering?   22 miles LDWA event is more than equivalent to 13 miles on the road.

Cas - and when is your Ironman? 

Although I don't care for pink, I think you should wear whatever you like and take no notice of anyone elses's opinion.

Off to find Elspeth's soup recipe as I just popped into Somerfield and bought a big bag of spinach for 35 pence and as VR has already made the soup with spinach I shall do so too.