Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Nope weekend off, racing the next 2 weekends though
  • Ladies - I have friends from Denmark coming over to stay next week and they've requested I bake them flapjack but I've just been looking and can't find my recipe - I know that there are loads of flapjack recipes on the net but I'd like a chewy rather than crunchy one - can anyone recommend a recipe for me please?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • LMH - I meant why is it called 220?  There was a competition in the one I was reading that asked that question but unlike most comps the answer wasn't in the blurb!
  • Interesting, somehow i failed to be aware of a Glasgow to Edinburgh double that was run in March this year but next years will make a great training run for Devon 100. Anyone know anything about it?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

SiJ - LOL at the shoe racks, you'll just have to go shoe shopping!

LMH - I have tried out loads of flapjack recipes, my 2 favourite recipes as follows..I like soft squidgy flapjacks better than crunchy so always soak the fruit in boiling water first

150g butter
    75g dark brown sugar
    75g dried fruit of choice
    75g syrup or treacle
    225g Oats
    pinch salt

25 mins at 180 degrees

or

125g butter
    125g demerara sugar
    5 tbsn syrup
    225g oats
    150g fruit (soaked in boiling water)
    3 tbsn mixed seeds

15 to 20 mins in a medium oven

the 2nd recipe I have noted that IMHO it's almost the perfect flapjack

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Morning VR - thought you might turn up now that we're talking about food not runningimage

LOL at the instructions on your receipe for cutting the flapjack

Shopping down town now, might not be back on line later as lots to do.   Early start tomorrow up at 4 am, will text VR with my marathon time.

• Woohooo we have hot water againimage Our lovely plumber turned up this morning apologising profusely that the part hadn't arrived yesterday.....he's a friend through the running club image

Shades - no cold showers for me...been using the boiler problem as a reason to go and use the gymimage

Mmmmmmmmmmmm flapjack....anyone need some help monitoring quality control??

Hair cut/colour done - had three inches lopped off but you really wouldn't know lol

Just scoffed some bacon rolls, so time for a bit of foruming to let them settle then Terry and I have some hills to find image

LMH....hope you back continues to improve

HY4....sorry to hear you're injured too

and VR too? oh no! 

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Hyde Park is definately off the cards this year.  Come back from my little jaunt into town and have had to take some painkillers and there is no way I could walk double the distance tomorrow.
  • Sorry to hear that HY4.

VR - I believe that is my missing flapjack recipe! Thank you.

Shades - may try yours too but I like to make it without fruit too. Good luck for tomorrow - that's an early start!

Bridget - it's the old formula for calculating MHR, that's what the mag is named after.

Cas - it's a little windy out here, hope you have good weather. Good news on the boiler. Just about to go and soak ina  bath myself (the back seems to like it and I'm now pretty confident it won't spasm again and trap me there!).

Just back from an hour on the bike, decided that my head would benefit much more from an hour outdoors than another spent staring at the garage wall - and I needed to make sure the back would be ok with handling the bike ready for our planned ride with Mr B tomorrow. It's a little windy but whilst I could feel the back a little when pushing into the wind or up hills it was generally fine - I could look behind me ok etc so I'm happy with that. Off to get clean!

• HY - that's disappointing for you.image Would you have had far to travel and do you have to cancel plans.

LMH - have flapjack recipe too but must say am tempted to try Shades chewy one, mine is quite crumbly but I like it.  Let me know if you want it, probably similar to some of the others anyhow.

VR - how are the legs,have you talked them into submission yet?

Just in from my 10 miles, feels far too short for a weekend! Shades would be pleased though, I did it nice and slow, some of it with some friends. Apparently Moray region is currently flooded!

Shades and SiJ - have good races. Is yours far from home SiJ ( sorry about my ignorance of southern Englands geography).

Think I need to do some pre marathon shopping for new socks and stuff.

• LMH - Glad the back continues to improveimage

Lovely running day here, sunny and warm, not much wind, I really wanted to stay out longer!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Elspeth,

No not really.  It's only about an hour away by train.  We tend to use it as a family get together and with the walking involved to get to Hyde Park I think that would be a bit much for me at the mo.  I'd really like to do a marathon next spring so I'm being particularly cautious.  I'm sure Chris' sister is going to let the rest know why I'm not there and there's always next year.

• SiJ - Well cross country is tough so you would be doing extra well to PB on that!
  • Elspeth - sounds as though the taper is working.

Where's LB?

Someone was asking about PF? Keep remembering and forgetting to respond - sorry - I mentioned it with regard to LB's heel pain this explains it quite well

• Elspeth- my race is only 8 miles from where i live so i will go on my own and be home by 1pm. Well done on the 10 miles in the sunshineimage It is a gorgeous day here as well.

I am going to make some oaty shortbread this afternoon as i haven't made any for ages and really fancy some. Loads of housework etc to do first.

HY4- wise to be cautious. Takes things slowly.

LMH- i bet it felt good to get out on the bike without any pain. Have your entered any more events this year?

• ClagClag ✭✭✭

Hello image Not been in for a while as was feeling rather negative! Have now dropped back to the 10k for Elgin (decision made) and hoping to do a half decent time. Had a good run on Tuesday (5 mile tempo at 7:50 pace) and a fun run on Thursday - absolutely drookit! Got back to the centre and had to take my shoes off at the door, wring my socks out in the plant, and then went to the loo where I wrung out my by then see-through t-shirt (and this was with a 'showerproof' jacket.

Elspeth - re next weekend, who knows? Think the Cooper Park is pretty badly under water as the river flows just behind the pond, and the floods have very badly affected things. Was severe flooding a few years ago but I'm told this is very much worse. I feel very sorry for everyone affected, but have to say I'm pleased that my mum and dad live up the hill and therefore aren't suffering. I would imagine by next weekend things will have settled down again.

• Hi Clag - Keep me posted re the state of flooding! . Know what you mean last Thurs, I just ran home and got straight in the shower after a very wet JS session. Believe it or not I have never been to Elgin other than to pass through on the train.

Good that you have a plan re next weekend, one of my friends is doing the 10k the other the half, unfortunately they will both have to leave before I finish to get home that nightimage. I have just finished your book, thanks, can you e mail me your address to send it back, unless anyone else interested?

• SiJ - enjoy race tomorrow.  *cheekily hands over plate for a little oaty shortbread, pretty please.*  image  You're absolutely right about overdoing it with painting or anything about the house.  Do it when I feel like it and today just happens to be that day, but it won't be for hours and hours and get it all done in one day.  That's a promise.  image

LMH - well done on yet another bike ride and feeling good afterwards.  Am a squidgy flapjack lover too.  Unfortunately, flapjacks are not on my diet sheet at the moment, but they will be plus a few other things at the end of the Half Marathon in 3 weeks' time - something's got to give!  It was me who asked about PF - ouch!!  Thanks for explanation.  Before coming back on thread this afternoon was still mulling through my head wondering what PF meant and thought of 'poor form', but it just didn't seem to fit in.  image

Shades - good luck for tomorrow.  Thanks for lovely squidgy flapjack recipes - squidgy seems to be quite popular.  image

VR - LOL - classic how to cut a flapjack up - 'by cutting into half along the perpendicular bisector of two sides and into quarters perpendicular to the first cut'.  Wonder what the person who wrote that does for a living?  Well, just googled a few words and came up with a person who inspects cows' udders to see if they're hanging right.  Ha ha ha!!!!  image

HY4 - know you're disappointed and can feel it in your response.  However, as sad as you might feel today, it is better to DNS than to have a go and find yourself doing a DNF or worse still badly injure yourself again and set everything back even further.  There's load more races out there for you and me.  Kept it quiet until now, but did a DNS on The Beast at Corfe Castle - no way was I fit for that gut buster.  image

UltraCas - wishing you a lovely bike ride and enjoy return of the hot water.  image

Elspeth - well done on 10 miler today.  Have got tapering due to start after next weekend's lsr.  Thankfully doing a half and don't need so long.  image

Clag - hello *waves*.  Enjoy the 10k.  Have had to pull back considerably on distance and build back up again, so know how you feel.  Great tempo time.  LOL at deluge with fun run - first ever 7 miler last November with the club was in the cold and driving drizzle 6oC through forest trails - top half went completely see through and very embarrassing image - white bra, white long sleeved top plus flourescent yellow and black (and not enough of it) windcheater.  Sensible enough to bring a complete exchange of clothes along except for a dry bra.  image

• Clag - good to see you, no need to be a stranger when the running (or anything else) isn't going great - I don't think you'll find a lot of negativity on this thread, regardless of your circumstances.

Elspeth - I've e-mailed you re: the book. Is there a chance that your marathon will be cancelled? When will you know?

Flossie - flapjack sounds like the ideal treat at the end of your half.

I think I shall mostly be baking flapjack on Monday so I don't have too long to eat it before guests arrive.

SiJ - I have a 10k next Sunday (as Danish guests wished to race whilst they were here) , Abingdon marathon and an Ironman in Western Australia at the beginning of December.

• LMH - No sign of your e mail. Nothing on Moray website re possible cancellation, will have to wait and see.
  • Elspeth - sent it this morning to your address (rather than Peter's) if it doesn't turn up tonight let me know and I'll re-send.
  • LMH- just a couple of little races thenimage 

• For those that do like fruit in their flapjack, this has become a staple with my running group, not exactly healthy or indeed cheap  but very delicious and quite squidgy

250g butter 200g golden syrup100g soft brown sugar 250g oats100g plain flour
    Dried cherries or cranberries (small pkt) (or use sultanas if short of cash), pecans(small pkt), chopped dates (two handfuls) and sunflower or pumpkin seeds

Melt butter, syrup and sugar together, stit in rest of ingredients, bake at gas mark 3 for 25-30 minutes, then allow to cool completely.
  • Was very glad to have the hot water back as the rest of my day has not gone to plan.....first disaster was discovering my OH had taken unpaid leave to do a two week camp with the army cadets and only finding out when I saw our bank statement image So have had to spend quite a bit of time on the phone shuffling money about and not impressed by his 'it's not my fault' attitude, then I had to abort my bike ride after 10 miles.....felt like I was riding through treacle and then felt sick, shakey and dizzy when I stopped image So came home and had a good long soak with the last of my Champney's oriental soak and a good book. 

Beast of Corfe is a toughie.....have run part of the course but never done the event

SiJ - Henfield has quite a few stiles so I wouldn't say it was a PB potential course! Have fun

Can we have some of your water down here in the SE please? I drained the water butt weeks ago watering the garden and it's not really filled above a few inches since!

Hope you have a good race Shades.

And hope LMH and Mr B have a good ride - suppose yours is a proper training ride with no time for cupcakes though!

• UltraCas (Thelma) wrote (see)
    Recognise the location JP??

Yes - The slope on the dam @ Rivington, fastest part of the bike course 45mph plus just before sheep house lane, the slowest part at 5mphimage.

The water wasnt that calm when i was swimming in it

• lol Sheep House Lane was a tad steep and lengthy but the view at the top and descent on the other side was luverly!
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

(((Cas)))

Hope you're feeling better now.

Flossie,

Thanks.  You're right I am disappointed, however it's not meant to be this year.  I've got 2 pbs this year so I should be happy with that.   Sorry to hear about your DNS & as you say a DNS is better than a DNF.

• UltraCas (Thelma) wrote (see)
    lol Sheep House Lane was a tad steep and lengthy but the view at the top and descent on the other side was luverly!
    Did you do the decent in the rain?, It was a bit dodgy on one of my training rides by the duckpond and then the left turn at the end into belmont road, not nice when you try and take the corner and the back wheel is uncertain about whether it wants to turn or slide image
  • It was dry for that bit but started chucking it down after we'd been through Belmont but did take it easy before the turn at the end of the hill as I remembered your warning about the state of the road there and it was a bit image even in the dry