Cardiff Half-Marathon

Comments

• Spike

I hope to be there.  I was scheduled to be at Abingdon doing the mara but, to cut a long story short, I set myself a goal for 09 to PB at the 5K to mara and just need  a good crack at the HM before December.  Have two other races lined up so just need to shrug off a niggle I picked up last week doing too many hills!

I did Cardiff in 04 and 05 and yes the start was poorly managed.  That said I thought it was a great event, good course, well supported for most parts, ok I didn't like the cobbles much but I very much would like to go back.

You get the peeps that are, shall we say, less than positive in outlook, in all clubs and in all walks of life.  I hope Cardiff does not become a GNR.  With spiralling costs events need to grow granted but not to the detriment of quality.

Thanks for heads up on accom.  Like I said it will be a last minute thing so my options, I guess, will be limited.  I will need to head back soon after but not not before some refreshment!!!

• just paid the £26 ........ so im in
  • I'm fairly sure we're being put in starting pens for the first time this year- this is according to the race website, anyway. Of course, that still relies on people getting themselves in the right ones to begin with! I don't know how they're classifying people, unless they're using the estimated times we provided on signing up...I always found the start was OK, but then again I wasn't ever at the front!

• The problem with starting pens and people claiming unrealistic times will never be properly resolved.

It was obvious last year that some marshalls actually bit the bullet and told some people of a certain size that they should move further back to allow room for the faster runners. Whilst many did do as they were asked, and they were asked politely the ones I saw, there were still those who seemed to think that the whole event was a fun run and they would start where they liked.

• I never understand the people who do that- I wonder whether it's overconfidence, ignorance or just plain pig-headedness. Mind you, I avoided all that trouble last year because I was late arriving- I started at the back with the guy who carries the crucifix!
  • I think it's a combination of all three with the emphasis on the first observation.

No excuses to be late this year or it may be you carrying the crucifix,or worse......

• "It was obvious last year that some marshalls actually bit the bullet and told some people of a certain size that they should move further back to allow room for the faster runners. "

is that not a bit size-ist? (not sure if thats a propper word) just cos someone is of a certain size, does not mean they are slow.....

that pisses me off, at the cardiff park run i overheard 2 guys looking at me and saying "oh well, at least we wont be last" i think i beat them by about 5mins.

i put 2 hours to finish, but im hoping to do it just under, although it depends if i go in  fancy dress

• Spike

maybe "generally" not certainly......

but I certainly hope to be starting at the front for this raceimage

Guys - (& Gals) who's up for a list???

Times for finish, where to eat Saturday night, post race beers y/n?? afterall Spike is getting the first round in!!

• Up for a list? Seems reasonable. Must say this event has got better year on year and would prefer this to Bristol or Bath and it is cheaper than both as well as being run for a charity, I'll be pacing so to start the list off

Stray Celt 1.40
  • Voila...new mobi en France wahoo!

Stray Celt 1.40
    DB9 1.27

• PB for me last year in Cardiff, not real hope of repeating that at the mo, so I'll rub shoulders with DB9

Stray Celt 1.40

DB9 1.27

SteveG 1.27

• I'll have a bash at this with you, but it's only my 3rd HM!:

Stray Celt 1.40

DB9 1.27

SteveG 1.27

The Kings Shrew: 1.50

•  go on then, im guessing 1.55 as i hear cardiff is a good PBer and its only my 2nd ever half, so as long as i beat 1.58 i be a happy bunny, the super hero costume might slow me down a bit though?

Stray Celt 1.40

DB9 1.27

SteveG 1.27

hovis 1.56

• not doing this one this year as i think its a bit steep.done it last 3 years,aimed for sub 1.30 following a guy called carlos (i think) managed to achieve it and more.really worked to follow a pacesetter as i felt like going faster at start but followed the guy and at end still had something left.the finish a lot better last year than the finish at the castle,that was bedlam!!!pretty smooth organisation and support would reccomend its just the prce thats putting me offill be doing torfaen instead(now thats the one for a PB) 
  • DB9 updated for today only
  • I'm now aiaming for 1hr 40mins. Looks like we'll all be close together!
  • Look forward to meeting you Spikeimage
  • I look nothing like my hero!
  • Official website says they are looking for 1.50, 2hr, 2.15 etc pacers.....anybody out there?
  • I will look at website for pacers, I may be interested.

I've run this the last 3 years, although 2006 was the Full Mara for myself (last time they held one).  I know I'm nowhere near fit to mount a PB attempt (1:28), but was considering a reasonable 1:35'ish as a pacer perhaps.

• Believe they've already got a 1.30 and I'm doing the 1.40 daz
  • Lol SC, doubt I could manage sub-1:30 at the moment anyway. I see you've got the 1:40, and not sure I'd fancy 1:50, I'd find it difficult at that pace I think.

Might just low-key pace a few club members, will see what times they're aiming for.
  • Okay guys, let's get this list sorted out then:

DB9 1.27
    SteveG 1.27
    daz1927
    Stray Celt 1.40
    Spike sends Love light and peace
    hovis 1.56
    Im Rio!
    Don Kiddick

• Oh man, I just signed up for this but I'm nowhere near your times! I'd LOVE to get under 2 hours. I ran Bristol HM on Sunday in 2.12 although I had an operation 7 weeks ago, so I was pretty pleased with that considering. Perhaps with a big push this month I can get close to 2 hours...you never know!

• DB9 1.27
    SteveG 1.27
    daz1927
    Stray Celt 1.40
    Spike sends Love light and peace 1.40
    hovis 1.56
    Im Rio!
    Don Kiddick

(Greetings Daz,long time no see.Hope all is well) 

• Catoface - that's not a bad time considering the 7 weeks, work hard for the next 4 weeks, allow a 2 week taper and you should be good to go!

Hello Spike, I assumed it was you lol.  Usual rubbish here, not content with my running, feels like I'm getting worse.  Obviously just old age I guess.  Will see you there.  Did you do Cardiff 10K?

• I signed up for this last night on a post Bristol high.  Did it a couple of years ago quite seriously ill ... wasnt planning on it this year as for some reason I though it was £35!  When I found out it was £26 it almost felt like a bargain, lol.
  • PinguPongu wrote (see)
    I signed up for this last night on a post Bristol high. 

Me too! Hope you got on ok on Sunday - was fairly warm!

Daz - thank you for the motivation, I think it might be a long shot to get under 2 hours, but I'll give it a right good go! Your times are the kind I can only dream of - good luck with the race whatever you decide to aim for.

• Very warm!  Catoface, what time did you do in Bristol, a couple of years ago I did a 2.04 in Bristol then a 2.00 in Cardiff, Cardiff is the faster course ....
  • I did 2.12, but I'm hoping for better at Cardiff so I'm pleased to know it can be done! How did you do? Are you aiming for a specific time at Cardiff?