Overheating at Night

On occasion if I've had a particularly tough LSR I find I overheat at night and really struggle to sleep. The last time this happened was at the weekend and I actually had to get up in the middle of the night and change the sheets because I was literally drenched in sweat. It doesn't always happen and I make sure I drink plenty of water the next day if it does so I'm not overly concerned about it but I was just wondering if anyone else had to put up with it! Or should I be concerned?

This running malarkey can do some weirdy things to the body but....it'll always be worth it!

Comments

• Hmm...I hadn't thought about it in relation to how much I sweat during the run... The answer is that I don't much; I never get beads of sweat or the like, my clothes are just slightly damp when I take them off at the end. I wonder if that's what it is....just the excess heat dispelling over time? I do tend to have a high body temp during the night - sometimes I reckon I could cook stuff with the heat I give off (!!) but I don't normally sweat like that.

Thanks for the reply, I'm even more intrigued now but I'm thinking that that must just be how my body cools down - in the night!

Now....I'm off in search of a scone, you've started me craving!
  • helterskelter wrote (see)
    Now....I'm off in search of a scone, you've started me craving!
    Sorry, no practical advice other than....mmmmm, scones. Think I might have to bake some tonight....
  • I'm going to be no help either, only I have the opposite problem. I get back from a run and about an hour or 2 later my body temperature seems to plummet. I'm usually cold, but this is extreme. Sometimes gets to the going to bed with a dressing gown and extra blankets stage.

I had some thought that it might be I don't dissipate heat well - seeing I'm usually doing my damndest to hang onto it. So I go out for a run and my body's trying to cool me down, but it just doesn't know when to stop, hence i get over chilled and feel cold. No idea if that's a possible explanation or not (prepares to be shot down in flames by a medically minded person)

Are you usually too hot? Is it worth trying to make an effort to cool down more? Cold shower after a run or before bed? That just sounds unplesant to me, but I imagine waking up soaked in sweat isn't very nice either.

See - said I wasn't going to be any help!

• If you've done an LSR, your body will have taken a pounding, and your metabolism is probably elevated to help repair some of the damage. I guess this could make you too hot. If that's the case, I guess that hydration is important, but I don't know what else to suggest. Sorry. 8-(

ATMF?

...if I've had a particularly tough LSR...
    AreThoseMyFeet? wrote (see)
    If you've done an LSR, your body will have taken a pounding...

If you're LSR is so hard, it ain't an LSR!  You're doing too much, too soon.  Take it easy!  Build up slowly.

When you get back to your front door, you should almost feel like you could turn 'round and do it all again.

• Last LSR I did was a 16 miler, and that evening I was out partying 'till 2am!
  • Chocolate Moose wrote (see)
    AreThoseMyFeet? wrote (see)
    If you've done an LSR, your body will have taken a pounding...

If you're LSR is so hard, it ain't an LSR!  You're doing too much, too soon.  Take it easy!  Build up slowly.

I don't know - it depends on the type of training. A three hour LSR is going to be tough just because you've spent three hours on your feet, regardless of the intensity.

ATMF?
  • But if it's that tough, you ain't ready for it!

Training should be about getting stronger, not beating yourself up...

• Feel shit like that after your target marathon - yes.  That means you've pushed hard.

But after training?  No way.  Ease up, build more slowly.  Take time.  Running should be about pleasure.  It's not a pennance...

• Chocolate Moose, I am marathon training but even though it was my longest run I'm not sure if it's a case of too much. The week before I did 21.5m too quickly for a LSR pace but it felt like a breeze. This one was only a half mile extra but it was really tough, at my normal slow long run pace - I think that was just tired legs though (maybe from the week before!), it has been a tiring month!! Taper is now beginning though, so I can rest a bit.

Helen Liz, I haven't had any temperature problems other than this, I run in the morning and other than being a bit tired and heavy legged I feel fine for the rest of the day. What you say about your problem with getting too cold though make sense to me though, I know if I have a temperature if I catch a bug I start to shiver and cool down really quickly. So it's hot water bottles for you and ice packs for me!

ATMF, maybe it is metabolism from the muscles repairing themselves, that sounds logical.

Thanks all of you for your help and advice. I think I'm a bit more comfortable that it's not something to get worried about now. A pain in the neck but not serious.
    Thanksx
    ...I did 21.5m too quickly for a LSR pace but it felt like a breeze. This one was only a half mile extra but it was really tough...

The answers there - you've said it yourself!  You did a long run too quickly and the next time you went long you found there was a price to pay.

That 'too quick' long run is what should be happening on race day.  And after a race, you're going to give yourself some time off and recover.  But you did it in training, so now you've got to alter your schedule to incorporate the recovery.  No biggie, just learn the lesson and get it right next time image

LSR's are for easing back & enjoying life.  Like a long bath, you should be thinking 'this is wonderful, I feel like doing an extra 5 miles.'

• CM- I wish I ever felt like that during a LSR- usually I struggle, and I never go faster than my (FIRST) plan suggests- often slower!!!!- I also regularly feel cold/ shivery after running, and also get too hot at night - so I suppose I'm overdoing it slightly at times, but then, how else am I going to improve?- like Helterskelter I'm getting close to the end of marathon training, and knackered, ready to taper, so we'll be likely to be a bit more tired than usual.