I want to cry

Just got back from seeing the physio - apparently I am not 'mechanically built for running'

It would seem that I have knock knees and that I overpronate quite badly. I've only been running since May, but I love it. Now I've been told that if I keep running I'm likely to need my knees replaced at some point image 

I've already got some degenerative changes in my knees (and lots of pain - hence physio appt.), but damn it, I want to run!! I'm doing a 5k for charity on Sunday, and was planning on a half in October...

I want to cry image

Comments

• SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Poor you.  But don't cry.

What treatment did the physio give you?

And have you had a gait analysis in a running shop so they can fit you with the correct shoes to support your over-pronation?

• My physio would probably tell you we're all not built for running...image

Don't give up just yet Sarah...

• I'm not biomentrically suited to running and I think that half the people out there running are the same. 

What a nice physio you have. image

My physio works with my wonky knees and hips.... and feet...... and ankles.

I do strengthening exercises and stretches and when running I concentrate on my form.

I've tried orthotics but I dont get on with them so my fizz and I have worked on my weaknesses and we have managed to work around this. 

Go and see a more sympathetic fizzy, one who is prepared to work with you and get you out running.

• Shimmy shimmy wrote (see)

I'm not biomentrically suited to running and I think that half the people out there running are the same. 

Me either, I reckon an old walrus is more biometrically suited to running than I am, mind you, I reckon we have a similar gait.
  • Go see a fiss who's not a dick. Even if your not build to take on the national team doesn't mean you can come and play with the rest of us. Take me for example I'm rubbish but still have fun. image
  • How awful for you (((( )))))

Take no notice! You read of ppl  who overcome much worse aillments who get back running, it's a case of how determined you are. Find someone else for another opinion I've been round the houses a bit and ended up with a brilliant chiropractor who sorted me out. Trying orthotics might help - your GP should refer you on the NHS. There's learning pose or chi running to try too.

Have a cry then dust yourself down and get on with getting fixed image

D

x

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

This was a second opinion image I don't want to be one of those people who just finds someone who says what I want them to say. And the truth is, running does make my knees much worse... I keep going because I like it, and I think it's something I could actually be quite good at.

I haven't got special shoes (being a poor student, I'm having to save up image image) so that will probably help (I hope). I was told I need to strengthen my quads and glutes, and that I should take up swimming or cycling...

• Just because it is a second option it still does not mean that you can't run.  It just means that you have been unlucky and seen two unsympathetic fizzys. 

• Sarah - that sounds awful poor you. I'm so sorry. image

However - cycling and swimming are also brilliant and there are lots of events to get involved with and loads of swish kit to collect so all is not lost. image

(Plus I'm sure you can still run a bit - hope so.)

• Sarah being a poor student I bet you can find a uni running club that will have contacts with decent fizz's Swimming and cycling are good for cross training and running anyway. Plus it means you might be tempted by the dark side and end up pirate stamped. "You will never find a more retched hive of scum and villainy" image
  • Chins up Sarah, nowt wrong with cycling and swimming. Get a bit of leg strength work going and pretty soon you'll be fit and strong to get the shoes back on and run. Take the time to build yourself up, do as the fizz says and save for a decent pair of shoes and get a proper gait done. image
  • BookyBooky ✭✭✭

My uni teaches a physio degree - fizzy students everywhere! Might try for a third opinion...

I've always fancied being a pirate... but thinking of the distances I can manage, I think I'm more like a sick parrot... image

I guess I could start saving up for a decent bike instead image 

• The trainers, when you can afford them will help with the overpronating & probably the pain in your knees to some degree.  Dont give up hope hun, a decent fizzy will give you exercises to do to compensate for any weaknesses that are causing problems with your running.

I got the details for the one I see out of my local running shop, might be worth asking around.

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Think I'll definitely ask my GP about orthotics. Anything that might help is worth a go.

Thanks everyone image

• Sarah, I'm knock-kneed, over-pronate (so much so that I ruptured a tendon, just by being flat-footed), have had years of netball-caused injuries, am old and ugly, was told that I should give up running and I'm doing my first HM on Sunday.

Don't give up, if I can do it and I'm a lot older than you (image), then I'm sure you can.  I do exercise to strengthen weak muscles, stretching to loosen tight muscles and Pilates for core strength.  I wear orthotics all the time because I need to.

I started slowly and am taking it easy.  I'm now seriously considering going the full hog and training for a marathon.  If/when I do, it will be slowly, but I'd rather get there slowly than not at all.

You might need to wear orthotics - as Cake says, try local running clubs for recommendations to physios and podiatrists who work with runners - they'll understand you better and will work with you to get you running.

Good luck

• Sarah the Oly distance Tri is only 10k run (only he says, he who isn't supposed to be running at the mo) so give it a go - you know you want the flag.....image
  • Poor U!!!

Do get a second opinion...also  am a single parent..and I had problems with only one knee(thank goodness)....BUT, i did some xtra work...got fitted for£85 trainers..and my knee has never been sore since..I knw its expensive..but if u love somthing then u will try ure best to make it right...

Good Luck..

Px

P.S. we lived on beans and toast for a few days!!!

• Worth noting that while it's always best to go to a proper running shop that will give you a decent gait test and help you get the best stuff for you without selling you rubbish. Once you know what you need you can probably get the second pair of trainer's a lot cheaper if you hunt around on the tinternet. To give a example I know exactly what trainer's are good for me and by a very lucky chance I when into my local cole brothers in May and found they were selling them reduced to clear because of new lines coming out and got £80 odd quid trainers £30 odd quid each as you might have guessed I stockpiled them and now have more shoes than sense. image And yes I was on beans on toast for a few weeks after. I lot of shops give discounts to members of there local running club as well.
  • I always get last seasons colours.   Much cheaper.  I too stockpile them
  • You lot talk about beans on toast like its a bad thing...

Maybe I should stockpile too... might need to build an extension to house them all though as I already have an extensive shoe collection. image

• Posh shoes for dancing don't count our kid. image
  • You can enter the comp to win a new pair of trainers and jacket Sarah, one every day, nice Orange colour image
  • Sarah - don't give up. For what it's worth, I was told 2 years ago to quit running but I'm still at it. I have regular massage treatments and as others above have said, do lots of strength and core work, am also a triathlete so do a lot of swimming and cycling too. It's brilliant for cross training and helps make you stronger for the running. Hubby was told 15 years ago (!) that he had bad damage to a kneecap , arthritis in both ankles and must stop. Another expert said he had arthritis in both knees and to stop running. Yet a third said he didn't have arthritis at all but too much wear and tear on the kneecaps so again....yes, stop running or you'll be in a wheelchair in a couple of years. Since then he's run 4 marathons, uncounted half-marathons and 10kms, and generally races in around a dozen triathlons per year including having completed several Ironman races. Strength work and building up the quads and glutes helped him enormously.

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

The physio actually advised that I try trainers in the shop them buy off tinternet. image

But I hate shopping for shoes!! My feet seem to be completely unique in size and shape and I generally wear plimsoles which offer no support whatsoever image Might be a contributing factor... I have wide, flat feet and a short heel depth - shoes always dig in at the back image

Will have to bite the bullet and buy some trainers. I already live on beans - no toast though, am coeliac image 

Olympic distance triathlon! Exciting prospect - the run is managable and the rest is non-weight bearing! Would that make me eligible to be a pirate??

• So you run in plimsoles?
  • sarah the bookworm wrote (see)

The physio actually advised that I try trainers in the shop them buy off tinternet. image

But I hate shopping for shoes!! My feet seem to be completely unique in size and shape and I generally wear plimsoles which offer no support whatsoever image Might be a contributing factor... I have wide, flat feet and a short heel depth - shoes always dig in at the back image

Will have to bite the bullet and buy some trainers. I already live on beans - no toast though, am coeliac image 

Olympic distance triathlon! Exciting prospect - the run is managable and the rest is non-weight bearing! Would that make me eligible to be a pirate??

THat will be your 1st mistake! Asking for trouble if you are running in pumps!

If you have weird shaped feet, why not try mens trainers?

As for the heel thing, try some sorbothane heel pads to raise your heel a smidge.

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    Dr.Dan wrote (see)
    So you run in plimsoles?

Erm, no image 

Didn't make myself very clear there - I run in trainers (Nike - horrible things) but plimsoles for everyday wear.

Men's trainers are a bit awkward - my feet are a 5, and I haven't found any small enough that my feet aren't slopping about. My current Nike are from the boys' junior range...

Heel pads - genius! Why didn't I think of that?? image I am compiling a shopping list - might have to resort to drastic measures to afford it all though... image