Help me get dressed for winter

Hi All,

Been reading through the forum sugestions on what to wear for running in the winter & found a few items that I will be ordering soon to get me going.

Before i do I would like your comments on the items before I part with my hard earned cash just to be sure that I'm doing the right thing.

so far this is what's in my basket.

Running Gloves

2 in 1 Jacket

lycra shorts (to wear underneath tracksters)

High Viz Vest

Trackster running Pants

Running Hat 

I have never worn lycra shorts before but plan on using them underneath my running pants - Is this OK do to & will it help prevent chafing?

I have some ski thermal clothing that I'm thinking of using to run with, would this do or should I purhcase something else? - I would rather not waste money if I can reuse my ski thermal gear

I plan on wearing my thermals as my first layer then a normal running top & then my 2 in 1 jacket if it's really cold, windy/wet.

The same goes for my legs, themals then tracksters or Lycra then tracksters. Don't think I can get all three layers on my legs...lol

Am I getting carried away or is this a normal thing to do?

Thanks

Comments

• Groundrush wrote (see)

Am I getting carried away or is this a normal thing to do?

Yeah, maybe a little.

Pair of tights and a t-shirt, with a pair of gloves and a hat for really cold days is enough for me.

• Yeah I think perhaps you are anticipating a colder winter than is likely.    A helly hansen, shorts and running gloves will do you - woolly hat and a running vest over the helly if it's really cold.   Tracksters or tights optional depending on how nesh you are.   

• Depends on how fast you run & how hot you get.

I hate things on my legs, so pretty much always run in shorts, but I'd be amazed if you needed more than one layer on your bottom half.

I find a LS top & gilet plenty, along with gloves on top, so I'd experiment with using the jacket as a gilet first, and only putting on the sleeves if you think it's really necessary.

General rule of thumb is to feel a little chilly when you set off, then you'll be just right after a mile or two.

The gear itself looks fine, I just don't think you'll need all of it at once.

When I have run in tights, I've either just put them over my normal flappy shorts, or a pair of briefs. I wonder if 2 layers of lycra type stuff will move over each other properly. Might be better getting a pair of wicking briefs.

• I never bother with gloves - its always too hot for me. If cold - put hands up your sleeves. And cant remember the last time I needed a hat.

Never really wear tracksters either - my legs dont get cold running.

A nice gilet is good, and some long sleeve hellys or similar. Hi viz vest is good.

Dont go overboard - Aldi sell running kit every now and then and you can stock up on that and get a few tops for the price of a branded one.

• "Empties shopping cart & walks out of shop"

Thanks, will have a rethink image

• I end up carrying the gloves and ripping off the hat half way round too....image

Those jackets with thumbholes in are quite good because once your hands are warm you can pull them out of the end of your sleeves!

• I have fairly bad circulation, so gloves are v important to me, as are tights, otherwise my poor little legs get cold.

Went out Sunday morning, and it was 8C, was pretty much freezing all the way round my 10 mile route, untill the sun started to make a difference, which was about a 1mile from home!

• I have poor circulation as well and find snug fitting "running" gloves only make matters worse so I have a nice loose-ish pair of fleece gloves. (plus they ae easy to get on and off on the move)

Long sleeve top and  hi-viz gilet (I've got  a cheap JJB one but I'm not sure if they still do them) as opposed to a top, a jacket and hi-viz vest.

A hi-viz buff instead of a hat, my head is always the first thing to get too hot and you can just wrap the buff around your wrist for easy carrying/stowage.

My legs overheat in leggings so I'm a shorts only person.

• I tend to start off wrapped up like I'm about to go skiing and end up with most of it wrapped around my waist image
  • Buffs are great. Unless it's bitingly cold I wear mine with the top bit open, so my ears don't hurt with the cold but the top of my head is free.

All running tops should by law have a zipped pocket in the back to stuff gloves etc. Once I wore gloves and was too hot, so I shoved them down the back of my capris... 'Picasso bum' - not a good look!

• Whilst I don't feel the cold on my legs, I find gloves essential. If I don't, my whole arm seizes up. Sometimes it's been 20 minutes before I can get my top off once I get back, but no probs if I wear gloves. Quite often I'll wear shorts & short sleeved T-shirt with gloves. Have a light knitted nike pair, that I can just take off & ball up to carry if i do get too hot.

• I've got the nathan vest and its really good.  Shines like a beacon.

• The runs that I'm going to be doing will be during the evenings after work, it will soon be getting dark & colder image

I can't imagine going out in only a pair of running shorts & shirt, surely it will be too cold with the wind chill etc

Mind you I once couldn’t imagine running out in the rain & when I did brave it I found quite alot of runners out aswell.

I think I'll get the 3 in 1 jacket, a few Lycra shorts, perhaps a pair of Tracksters to try out, and a hat 

I have a pair of old gloves that I could use instead if buying another.

• I never wear a hat - get too hot very quickly.  I use a buff, or a fleecy earwarmer band, to keep the wind off my ears.

I wear light fleece gloves too, but they usually end up stuffed down the front of my tights after a few miles.

That and a long-sleeved top, and maybe a light wind-proof jacket if it's bitter, is all I need.

I'd suggest you continue running in what you're currently wearing until you start to feel you need more on.  Then add a bit at a time, rather than buying a load of stuff at once.

Having said that, if you find something you really like, buy several - they never have any more if you go back for another one later!

• I just picked up a couple of long sleeve tech t-shirts and a couple of pairs of long tights...should do me for winter. Far too warm to put them on yet though, I just like being prepared.

Once the real cold sets in, I'll probably pick up a pair of gloves but probably not for a while.

Try to get away with the minimum you can to start off with and see how you go. That way you don't have to buy all your gear at once and you may decide you're warm enough anyway.

• I usually don't run too much outside in winter.  I haven't previously picked out winter or early spring races to train for, so I more often go inside to the gym and use the treadmill.

That said I have a pair of running gloves, which I've never kept on all the way round a run, even 5k easy ones.  I never wear a hat in winter - have never felt the need.  I did buy an end-of-line reduced pair of really form fitting leggings for winter running, then found them so supportive for the muscles on long runs that I used them in the middle of summer too (not that we had a summer, but that's another forum).  I can't run in public with them on though.  I sweat, sorry, perspire too much for a long sleeved tight top, so have a loose one that keeps the wind off and I can push the sleeves up when I get too hot.

I do have a hi-viz gilet thing, from JJB like marshallini.  Think it was a fiver.  They're badly made and a poor fit, but cars can see you, and they've got pockets for putting the gloves in.

Maybe don't buy it all at once, Groundrush.  As the evenings cool, discover what you need.

I can remember my school years, and cross country runs on wet ground in the freezing cold, wearing cotton t-shirt, shorts and y-fronts, socks and those dunlop daps.  Ah, the good old days.  Made me the runner I am today...

• I have the JJB one - the one with the black stripes on ? Its excellent value - they were selling them with a different make on in the running shop for about £25. Fit seems OK to me.

Its amazing how warm you get when running.
  • Anyone use things like Nike Pro Core base layer? or Under Armour styley things?
  • They're ok - but very expensive. Personally I cant tell the difference between them and any of my cheaper kit.
  • You look gawjuss in both Cougie.....image
  • Hmmm I can see that that would be right. Paying for an expensive tick on the collar sorta thing? I know it's the same sorta thing with thermals I use for snowboarding, you pay £20 more for a brand name like Burton.

Do you use the tops by themselves? Then maybe a shell or waterproof over the top if it's raining/windy?
  • Like danowat and others, I really need gloves when it gets cold.
    Even tonight I had problems. An hr and half out in the evening chill and my wrists were aching. I have broken both of them twice and I have raynauds syndrome, this is probably why I also need an ear muff, something lightweight to keep my ears warm. I have a couple of shrugs and some armies (cycling stuff) for my arms. I really suffer in the cold, esp as I get really hot and sweaty then chill quickly. I wasn't made for the great outdoors.

Apart from gloves (I have used socks in the past - mits are warmer) and ear muff, I just run in the usual kit.

Avoid long trousers unless there's snow on the ground. Maybe 3/4 to keep your knees warm.

ShleyBey wrote (see)
    Anyone use things like Nike Pro Core base layer? or Under Armour styley things?

I wear under armour and canterbury - the heat gear works very well. I find it very different to cheaper kit as it helps me not get too hot - better than not wearing anything - also sun factor 1,000 or something - as I run in the mid day sun. The cold gear really is for when its like Baffin out doors. Avoid if it's only cool.

• Definitley agree with don't overdress.

However this depends on where and how far you run. If you run 3-miles round the block then don't worry. If you run trails in the dark 2-miles from the nearest road and therefore quite some time to get support even if your GPS enabled blackberry can summon help then maybe be better prepared.

For me tights will come out in December and v.lightweight jacket probably slightly earlier.

I do have a v.light Nike Hat that I stuff in a pocket. Popping it on if I get cold soon warms me up. If really cold I may wear it to start but remove before you overheat and get it sweaty. Useful if you have a running issue. DoI don't use gloves but suggest you again go v.lightweight.

So agree with the don't buy anything/everything until you need it. Unless you live in Northern Scotland and 2-weeks travel from a running shop.

Thin hat, maybe thin gloves (Nike do a gift pack). They are easy to stuff in a pocket or waist band. Add extra bits as you get chilly. The proper runners kit doesn't match and hasn't been planned, it has evolved.

Dave

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

The thin stuff in the Nike gift pack is adequate, unless it's scraping the car windows cold even on a gentle four miler early in the morning my gloves are usually off by 2 miles and the hat shortly after. I've lost them so I've some hi vis Ron HIll gloves and Ron HIll beanie now and they're the same, unless it's proper cold ok for the first mile or two then in the pocket. 

Where I do find a decent jacket useful is if it rains. I got caught out in my JJB jacket last year when it started to rain and then sleet. I started off in sunshine and about 6 miles away from home the wind picked up and the rain and sleet came. I thought I was going to die I was so cold, I couldn't run properly and my hands were frozen because the gloves were wet. I've a goretex jacket now, not perfect but a lot better.