Macclesfield Half-Marathon

Comments

• I've just looked on the official macc website and it says entries will be accepted on the day.Good job really as that is how i'm entering.
  • Let me see know,

1,Nice big pasta tuna bake for tea,check

2,running kit all set out,check

3, stretching done,check

4, alarm set,check

5,just going to bed for an early night,check,

Eyes down look in roll on tomorrow.Good luck everyone.

• Thanks you Silkman and get carter for information about on-the-day entries.

Fingers crossed Silkman I get a really good photo of you and you look mighty fine. 

I have a young lady helping me tomorrow, Kate McLean and she could well be on the track at the finish, a wave and a smile would be appropriate. image You have a good run.

All the best everyone.

Bryan
    http://www.racephotos.org.uk

• I found this really quite tough.... maybe I am just a wimp but my time was rubbish, just hills, hills & hills with hills on them...... next time will try harder with more hill triaining.....image
  • DeliH

well done & good luck friend -

onwards - take care

• Enjoyed that!  Hills not as bad as I thought they might be.  Never thought I'd get a PB, but was hoping for sub-1.45.  Got 1.44.28.  That'll do.

Thanks to all the organisers and marshalls etc..  Good day out.

• Hi everyone,

Well done to everyone that did this. It was bloody hard!!! The hardest HM I've done anyway! That last hill at 10 miles killed me off!!

• Great day as usual.I went out far too fast as normal and struggled a bit at the end.mind you i got a pb 20 secs better than last year.

Nice  to see you Bryan race photos,i shouted "get carter" as i ran past you.

• Macclesfield HM in 2:22 - our 196th HM together

Super day, lovely event, cruised with a bit of work involved on the undulating bits

Felt tired after 3 weeks of gruelling running, but then I did expect that

I didn’t go to Macclesfield expecting anything spectacular - just to run really and enjoy and feel happy , and we got exactly what we went for

This is all part of our diary and our tapering ( if u want to call it that ) towards Abingdon FM, on 18 October, it will be our 37 th FM together

We have next week Local Kenilworth HM, an undulator, but nothing serious, and then Leicester HM , another slightly undulating in places but nothing much

Usually we’d push the pace on these, but our /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif[/img]howGlossaryDefinition('taper');]taper means we just run along sweetly, getting to finish when we do

So, it’s onwards, I’m nice and relaxed, Abingdon will be good, I’ll be ready

I’ve been at it all so long now, years before I took Phillip, years before Phillip was even born, so it’s just wait until the day really

As it is all on the day - HM’s there run, jog walk able if things go wrong, FM’s , there a different thing

We do so hope everyone’s training is going well - and we wish you all well

If you all enjoy your running as much as we do, it will make you really happy and change your life
  • He-he, proof you enjoy yourself Mick.  Phil also.

http://www.racephotos.org.uk/Macclesfield_Large/E_064.jpg

Well done to both of you.  Real Stars.

Kind regards.

Bryan

• Brilliant Mick and Phil, truly brilliant!
  • My 3rd half marathon this year.  So far this is the best for me.  The organisation of the race was excellent, the massage and a real gem that I've discovered.  Bryan, the talented photograper who provides a fantastic service for all the runners on the day.  Bryan took over 1500 photos himself and put them on http://www.racephotos.org.uk

Do you believe this?  You can download your FREE race photos in less than 24 hours as well as have them emailed to you in high resolution if you want.  A big Thank you Bryan for your artwork, dedication and love of the sport.

• My 1st Macclesfield Half and i really enjoyed it! Very well organised but could do with chip timing!! Being able to download a free photo of myself and friends made up for that tho,what an excellent service from www.racephotos.org.uk  BIG THANKS AGAIN BRYAN!  

• This was only my second ever half marathon and those hills gave me a right good workout!

Liked the track finish and managed a good time IMO, so enjoyed it and would probably do it again.

Nice one to Bryan for the potos - that's a good touch.

• Thank you for coming to our race on Sunday!

For 2010 we are considering chip timing and technical T-shirts, and how to increase the profit we give to charity. (£9,000 in 2009) The additional costs would mean an increase in entry fee of say £6, taking a club runners entry fee to £18.

Is this worth it for you? Would you still come to our race? Would it make you more likely to come?

Please let us know - we are trying to gauge opinion before we make any changes.

Martin from the race committee
  • A tough call Martin.  Really not sure my pennies would allow me to pay that much.

I do most of the races where Bryan is taking photos, because I enjoy having a high quality souvenir photo for free.

I dont think that is enough compensation for £18.

Sorry.

• Hi Martin,thanks for a great race it was my second Macc half.To be really honest i dont think Macc is big enough to need chip timing,i say that as a compliment and the reason i enjoy Macc so much.It has an intimate feel.Once you are out of the leisure centre there is no hold up what so ever,unlike Wilmslow where it was a mile and a half before i could get up to race pace getting through the crowds.

I think 14 quid is about right for the race.One thing i did like at the Sheffield half was a certificate with the date time and position i came in.It's something you can keep for posterity and most people have a drawer full of medals that just gather dust.   Best regards.

• Hi Martin, Chip timing and technical T-shirts don't do anything for me.  I thought you were faster giving out the results on Sunday than a Half Marathon that I did in May (where they used chip timing) and also when they came to publish the results they gave two different results - don't know why).   For me as a regular runner, the extra cost on top of the cost and time of getting to a half marathon is not attractive for me compared with running an 8/10 miles 5 mins from where I live on a sunday morning for nothing.
  • Hi Martin,
    This was only my 2nd half marathon (1st was Wilmslow) and I loved it, despite struggling on the hills image.  Not too sure that chip timing is needed as the race is a lot smaller (and more intimate) than Wilmslow.  Technical t-shirts would be nice, but not essential.  I must confess to liking a medal, even a really cheap one as I hang them on the side of my mirror, but again, not essential and the lack of any of these things did not detract from a great day, thought the organisation and everything was excellent.

• Martin, thanks for a great race.  To put your proposal re the entry fee into perspective, Chester did chip timing this year plus an excellent technical T for £14 for a club runner. 

I'd think hard about £18, much as I enjoy this race.  I would probably pay, because it's clear where the money goes and I am very happy to support Macmillan and the Hospice, but it's still a 50% increase when you've already generated 9k.

And as above, you did a great job on the times, I had a cup of tea and was able to check mine out before I left, do you need chip timing?

Do you feel that runners are beginning to expect all the trappings of a "bupa" style event at races like yours?

• My view:

If the t-shirt was a decent and tasteful tech one that could be worn regularly for training then i personally wouldn't mind an increase. I went to Rivington trail the week before this and got a Salomon one, which is definately wearable (The race was sponsored by Salamon though).

That race is £18 and although only 270 runners booked on it did have chip timers.

However, my view is that CT's are a bit of a luxury

• Martin,

as a regular attender at local races my views would be ....

tech t-shirt - definite yes, got a good one from Stockport10 last year that I use a lot (another cotton t-shirt is of no use to me).

Chip timing - not convinced it's needed I started about a quarter of the way back this year and it took me 8 secs to cross the line. Runners starting at the back may of course have a different view on this

Difficult one on the charity money, if the charity contributions were wideley publicised (as Wilmslow half does) then I don't think people would object

Thanks for another great race this year 

• Martin,

I have a cunning plan! Read on.

East Cheshire hospice is very close to me and my familys heart,3 years ago my dad went there and we could not have asked for better treatment for him.No matter what time of night it was me and my sisters were always made to feel welcome and the nursing staff were amazing.

I realise i might be in a minority of one but why not market the event as all for East cheshire and Macmillian? Lets be really honest do we need another tee shirt and medal? Excuse my rough maths but  a tee shirt at say £5 ? and a medal at £1 =6 quid, multiplied by 870 runners equals £5220.Add that to the 8 grand raised already and BINGO 13 odd grand! Just give us a drink and a  pat on the back. I find goody bags a bit daft anyway,i've never ever had one at a fell race.Anyone else agree? Best regards.

• Great race - my third time at this one. Friendly, very well organised, not too crowded - all good.

My preference would be to not bother with t-shirt and keep the cost to a minimum, but wouldn't mind a few extra quid if going to charities. The race isn't big enough to need chip timings and I can't believe anyone can be going for a PB on that course

Either way, I'll be there next year.

• Another superb half marathon and another huge PB for me so I'm happy as Larry! I just need to find a flat one now to discover how fast I can really go!!!

Once again Bryan Dale did a fantastic job with the camera. I came across his very generous work earlier this year in Leek and was pleased to see he was snapping away again here. It's great to see so many people giving their time and efforts for this great sport!

Cheers Bryan and cheers Macclesfield Harriers for a well organised enjoyable race!

See you all next year!

Dave
  • Thanks to get carter, ColW, Pink Lady1 and David Gillian who added really nice comments about my photos.

Honestly it does make it all so worthwhile.

I hope to see you all again in the near future.

In the meantime all the best with your training.

Kind regards.

Bryan

• Bryan

your a star mate

you alone make the race worth it

• Now I am blushing Mick  image

What a super thing to say.  Bless you.

Hope to see you and Phil again soon. Not tomorrow though, you might find it tougher than usual getting through this maize field.  image

http://www.racephotos.org.uk/HellraiserPhotos/13.jpg

That said, you are both toughies so I wouldn't bet against it. (Halloween Hellraiser, near Crewe).

Kind regards.

Bryan

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Martin Rands wrote (see)
    Thank you for coming to our race on Sunday! For 2010 we are considering chip timing and technical T-shirts, and how to increase the profit we give to charity. (£9,000 in 2009) The additional costs would mean an increase in entry fee of say £6, taking a club runners entry fee to £18. Is this worth it for you? Would you still come to our race? Would it make you more likely to come? Please let us know - we are trying to gauge opinion before we make any changes. Martin from the race committee

Mr. Puffy wrote (see)

Martin, thanks for a great race.  To put your proposal re the entry fee into perspective, Chester did chip timing this year plus an excellent technical T for £14 for a club runner. 

I'd think hard about £18, much as I enjoy this race.  I would probably pay, because it's clear where the money goes and I am very happy to support Macmillan and the Hospice, but it's still a 50% increase when you've already generated 9k.

And as above, you did a great job on the times, I had a cup of tea and was able to check mine out before I left, do you need chip timing?

Do you feel that runners are beginning to expect all the trappings of a "bupa" style event at races like yours?

well I just went to enter this year's race Martin, and I see you have put the price up after all.  As I said earlier in the thread I'll still enter because I like what you do, but if you hike it again next year I'll give it a miss.   

• I've just entered this, it'll be my first half but it's also my home stomping patch so not too worried about the hills...

Anyone else doing it this year?