Mizuno Wave Harrier 2 (Yellow)

The previous two models (blue and red) were great off road shoes so I had no reservation buying the new yellow Mizuno Wave Harrier, even if the colour made my kids laugh.

After only 3 miles the new yellow MWH they were rubbing on the instep.  There is stiching in there and a ridge that rubbed my foot.  After 19 miles I had a small blister on a toe and a huge one on the instep.

Anyone else getting blisters from this shoe?

Comments

• No Problems here, never had either of the old harriers but i am very impressed with these. Most comforatble propper off road shoe that I had ever had.
  • I've just worn my new pair of Mizuno Harriers today and I'm over the moon with them.  

Straight out of the box for a 15 mile run in the hills this morning. No problems whatsoever. As comfortable as slippers, good grip and enough cushioning for some tarmac running as well. So much better than my Inov-8's.

I'm so impressed I'm going to buy a second pair just in case they discontinue them.

• Another positive report from here also. Three long weekend x-country runs completed and comfort & grip felt excellent, not convinced with the cushioning on tarmac, but do try and avoid the hard stuff where possible on weekend long runs.

Like the idea of getting a second pair now... .thanks for the prompt.

• Love mine have now run well over 100 miles in them, ran in them in the Gower XC Marathon on Saturday, fantastic grip, comfortable and even a bit of cushioning.
  • Hi, are they wide fitting? Mizuno shoes usually are, but what about these?
  • Sweet, ran them straight out of the box with no probelms. They are a generous size and you can afford to get your 'true' shoe size as such they cater for the wider fit. Very comfy and responsive. Will buy again.
  • I got  a blister on my toe too!

Double skin socks for a few runs til they had worn in sorted that out and now I use them most of the time.

Not as good out of the box as Inov-8 though

• Just ordered a pair of these for fell running on the strength of reviews all over the place, plus how well wave ascends have worked for me on lowland trails ...
  • How are women doing with these shoes?  I notice the Wave Harrier 2 is a unisex shoe. 
  • Grrr, 8.5 too narrow - slightly snugger fit than the wave ascend shoe ...
  • I'm confused - if this is a unisex shoe which size do I need to fit me; I'm a size 6 in female shoes but men's sizes are 1/2 a size out - do I assume that they are given in men's sizes and therefore I need a 6 1/2.... Does anyone know
  • I can certainly recommend these shoes.

I can only comment on the blue version (few seasons old now) but the fact that I am still racing in them speaks volumes about their durability. I have just completed (and won) the lakeland Trail series wearing these shoes and found them ideal - grippy, light and fast with a low profile for feel and stability. They are quite wide fitting (a feature of mizuno shoes) and they don't 'clog up' with mud like some (Puma trail fox etc). They are lacking in cushioning so not ideal for too much road  but they weren't designed for that. (I use the wave ascend in training) They have a little more heel support and are slightly heavier but very cheap to buy right now!

I will definitley be buying wave harrier again.

• Viciik, in normal shoes i take a 10, in running shoes I normally take a 10 1/2 but bought these in a 10 with no problems. image
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    My ones are great - love them but like all pairs takes a bit of time to mould around your feet.
  • I like em, really versatile shoe. Not too phased by the odd bit of road or hardpack, unlike a pure fell shoe. But I've raced plenty of fell in them this year and never felt held back. Grippy sole, but rubber not so soft that you can see it wearing out every run (I'm looking at you Mr Walsh in the corner!). Nice and low to the ground for stability. Wide, but not super wide though, there's a band in the construction across the forefoot that stops them giving too much. Wouldn't want them any snugger. I'm normally an 8, these are an 8.
  • MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    Is there much cushioning with these shoes? I tend to run off road using my Asics nimbus's since I struggle with my kanadia's, they seem too hard on the joints. But I need a better pair of off road shoes and these might be worth a go looking at the reviews here.
  • Only tried Kanadias in the shop, but I suspect they may be *more* cushioned than the Mizunos.
  • I'm  a girl and love them.  They do come up wide, did 8 miles straight from the box with no problems.  Really comfy.
  • Very disappointed to see that mizuno have stopped doing a women specific wave harrier.  I have been wearing these shoes for years and love them, fit and colour.  New model is unisex (mens) and orange! 
  • Brian Cruickshank 2 wrote (see)

I've just worn my new pair of Mizuno Harriers today and I'm over the moon with them.  

No problems whatsoever. As comfortable as slippers, good grip and enough cushioning for some tarmac running as well. So much better than my Inov-8's.

I've got a pair of the yellow ones too, & are more than satisfied with them

I bought them the day after trying my first fell-race (only a 'CS' catagory) in my road-shoes, & after scaring myself witless dropping down through the woods (the 'Trunce' for anyone in West/South Yorkshire http://undeadmonkey.org.uk/trunce/ )

I knocked almost 5 minutes off my time, at the next race, simply by being more confident on my feetimage

(they also dry out very quickly -a bonus on the 'Trunce', as there's 3 river crossings in 4 & 1/2 miles

I was very pleased with them for my first 'proper' (up on the Moors) Fell-Race too (the 'Stanbury Splash' .. 7 miles/1200 feet of climbing)

They seemed almost the equal of the Walshes/Inov-8's that most runners were wearing

I did acquiesce & buy a pair of 'Mud-Claw 330s' before my next big fell-race, but I was glad, as it took place in 5" of snowimage (as well as unfamiliar tracks on part of the Moor)

Having said that, I wore my Mud-Claws for the HolmeMoss Fell-Race (17 miles!/4000 feet of climbing) on Sunday, as a fair bit of the terrain was peat-bog & some scary descents

As stated, the 'W-H' are also pretty good on tarmac, as the tread doesn't deform like Inov-8/Walsh, thus not absorbing energy (they were superb running to work through all the snow of Jan/Feb)

Would I buy another pair of 'W-H'?? YES