Baxters Loch Ness Marathon 09

Comments

• OMG, I look in pure AGONY. My number was 2561...if you get a chance have a look and a good laugh!
  • Kelly - what a fab run for you image

maybe we should give the organisers some feedback and ask for a different sports drink given that so many people have problems with lucozade. I have used High 5 and SIS and they are fine. Never tried gatorade but I hear good things about it. I'm hearing good things about Taut too. I take it that they get a good deal from lucozade in reutrn for the advertising, plus lucozade is one of the cheaper drinks.

I am still hurting too and can't make up my mind if it is worse than yesterday. It is a different pain today.

• Cabbey LOL - you look in way better shape than me: 3405.
  • FFB... you look great, not at all the shattered look that you would expect after a marathon
  • Oh jeez, the Pics..... I wish they had a banner warning you that you're approaching a photographer.

Then you could try really hard not to look so exhausted for a few strides. image

I do like the pics taken at Dores with the Loch in the background.

• I look as if I am in a cold sweat as I cross the finish line (2900). Never mind, ordered it anyone as it's the best of a bad bunch! Guess photogenicity is a bit of a tall order at the end of a marathon!

I don't have any pics up by the Dores guy. I must've been running so fast that he missed me!

• Lol Bungee...I think I spent most of the 2nd half of the race looking for suitable toileting positions imageimage....I climbed an embankment at 21m and found a suitable tree / bush combination....after that there was no chance cos it was coming into a residential area image.

Photos all look great, I like the ones where they have the River Ness in the background, that must have been right near the end, about 24m or something, I dont remember seeing a photographer there at all...sneaky blighters!

I think my lucozade problem was compounded by lack of food caused by the late start. I was cursing cos I usually bring a couple of SIS Go bars with me for just such delays / emergencies, but am so used to this event going like clockwork I never thought to pack them in my kit bag. Lesson learnt the hard way, never take anything for granted! And next time I will prepare with Coke and take my own drink.

Sore bits? Hmmmm, quads mainly, okay on flat, ouchy going down stairs. No blisters etc to speak of.

• What a great day,Our first marathon. Me and my twin brother did it as a brotherly dare. Loved every minute of it, even the VERY painfull last 5 miles. Both finished in 3.51 really pleased with it. Shame about the problems with the busses at the beginning but these things happen. Neither of us can walk properly which is pleasing our friends to no end. Same again next year !

• I've used Gatorade for years, but I can say from experience that it's fine for hydration, not much use for loading energy into your body.  My opinon only, but  Lucozade is better for that .... actually, I got on OK with the fuel stations on Sunday and i like the new Lucozade bottle shape - better than those pouch things.

I carried 3 x PowerGels also and had one at 7, 15 and 21.  I think I got the fuel right, it's just a question of getting the electrolyte into my body that kills me.  I carried some Nuun tablets with me in a little neoprene pouch and dropped half a tab into each water bottle, once it had stopped fizzing it was easy to get down.

NE

• Agree with the lack of toilets on the second half. I was desperate and I didn't even have Lucozade, deliberately avoided it as I know what it does to me.

My race number is 2923. That's my hubby in the walking ones.

I'm aching much more than yesterday too. Fine when just sitting still, but when go to move...ouch. Calves and quads.

Cabbey, you look great and still managed a smile. image FFB and FF, you both look fab too.

• Well, I arrived home last night after a superb weekend in the Highlands, although the 4hr delay at Inverness airport when the Birmingham plane broke down wasn't a great way to end it! I'm now resting at home, having got the wife and kids to school (she's a teacher).

I managed to finish my first marathon in 4:47 - a bit slower than planned, but the 17-21 stretch was a killer for me.  My plan of doing 2:10,2:20 split failed miserably at that point.  I managed the first half in 2:10 but having walked up the hill at Dores, and other stretches soon afer, I couldn't get the pace back up, and walked parts.  But I finished - Yeaahhh!!! 

That last couple of miles along the river and around the stadium were hard work- although it helped when my kids were on the path outside to give me some high 5s and encouragement before dashing back into the stadium to see me cross the line with plenty of cheering - it was great to share my personal achievement with them.  Even then there was fair bit to go, out onto the road and in to the stadium! It was a great place to finish through, and all well organised.  It was great to be able to take photos on the podium, although I did struggle to get up the steps! 

I managed to avoid the bus problems - our bus from Drumnadrochit was on time, and although it struggled up the hills to get to the start, encouragment from 70 odd runners helped it up!  We did pass the poor people from Fort Augustus getting off their broken down bus and walking to the start! We were the first runners to arrive, so had plenty of time to take advantage of warm coffee and easy toilet access.

Well done everyone -I must have finished pretty near you Bungee - I saw you a few times on the course, but didn't say hello - Sorry! It was good to see Sheesh for a while - you were running a good pace there - Did you keep it up? I was running level with you for a while, but dropped behind after 15 miles.

I'm really glad I chose this for my first marathon - beautiful course, friendly runners, great organisation and a really good long weekend with the family.

• Ha Ha Ha.......I thought I was putting in a sprint finish too, I've barely got either foot off the ground, and I certainly don't look like I'm enjoying it one bit..concentrate, concentrate, concentrate.

Ally (number 293).

• My race photos don't look too bad (831), but as you say, some of mine also look like I'm hardly moving, or maybe I just wasn't!  I have ordered the full set and the video for download, although there doesn't seem to be preview of the video.  I'll just have to wait and see if the downloads work.  The site says they should be available next day.  My wife got a few good photos at the finish, and some good ones of me with the kids on the podium.
  • Well done Kelly !!!

A fine run under the circumstances "Id hate to see my time if I was Injured!!"

My photos are not too bad at all, Not one of me at the finish thoughimage !! Although I remember telling the photographer "Id better make an effort" in the photos by the river ness cos I was walking loads by then , I also remember telling him "I would smile, but ive no energy left in my face !" although I managed to raise my hand !image

Many Great Stories and many great efforts so well done everyone !!!

Oh aye and I meant to say well Hello and it was nice to meet you too Flying Fifer you did really well too !!

My legs are also much better today (Stairs are not the problem they were) so I may well attempt the (Congleton Half Marathon this weekend !!

• Oh aye my race number was 624 if you want to look at how quiet it was at the rear of the field image

Well done Robbo on your first marathon Its not the easiest 1st marathon thats for sure !!!

• ouch.

ouch.

ooh photos!

ouch.
  • Wow ...what a race for my 1st marathon !

I had a plan to do a 4:30 but ended up way over the 5 hr mark.

Hoped to do a slow 1st few miles but got carried away with how easy it all felt and lost the plot completely. Got to half way in 2:05 but was desperate between 17-19 with pins and needles in my hands , nose and mouth area !

This felt scarey so I stopped at the Red Cross station and the guy put me on oxygen ! 

Got up eventually and was quite strong apart from the last mile , can't help feeling I cheated though by resorting to medical treatment to get round .

Apart from that had a brill time .....

• Chris you did the right thing. Pins and needles like that are a sign that's somethings really not right, can you imagine what could have happened if you'd ignored it?? As for cheating - don't be daft! You finished it, your first marathon - you should be proud!
  • Hahahahahahaahaha....all my photos are on the track at the end - I look like I'm having the worst time of my life, which funnily enough is exactly how I was feeling!
  • If anyone feels like a laugh I was 1529.
  • If anyone wants to see a look of painful determination, this is me in what amounted to a sprint at the line.  Ouch.

http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/buy.py?event=Sports/CPUK/2009/Loch%20Ness%20Marathon&photo=NESG1587&match=2333

• Afternoon All,

Congratulations to everyone on getting round in whatever way was possible. Getting to that finish line is what it’s all about although when I was walking back to the hotel I passed a guy with his number on absolutely flying across the middle of the playing fields when we’d all followed the road round the outside!! Have to check the rules!image

It was good to meet Dave, Cabbey and OH and Ally and OH at the pasta party. Sorry I didn’t get to Wetherspoons it was just too far away and there’d have been no guarantees I’d have got back to the hotel.

Having said all that, what a great weekend. For those of you at the back who haven’t been paying attention this was my first trip to Scotland and I was totally impressed. Topped off by my first sub-4 hour marathon, 3:55, at the age of 59 yrs and 279 days!

The first 23 miles were great but the last 3 and specifically the last 1 were really bad. I’ve had a look at the photos and I look just as bad as I felt. Number 3149 if you want to see an old man in pain.

Anyway, glad it’s over, can’t wait for next year!! image

• NE, thats an awesome photo... I would def purchase that if I were you!

Yours look great too Helterskelter.

I've bought the downloads too.... just to remind myself the pain was all worth it in the end.

• Chris, definitely not cheating and the right thing to do.
  • Cabbey - I don't normally buy race phots, but I might have to get that one..  There's another one that ain't too bad either, I'm just unsure whether I need to be reminded of the pain!!

NE

• Helterskelter - if that's you looking bad then can I have your phone number please? image
  • They should ban photographers, I'm always pulling a face .....

Any news on Dave P.? 

• Hi Digger,

Dave seemed ok in Wetherspoons on Sunday night, although sensibly he was on the orange juice rather than beer, so think he recovered ok, A nice bloke and a very enthusiastic guy,

Ally

• My no is 2969 folks, can't remember what I was looking up at though!! lol

Robbo my half time was also 2.10, KT59 and I were ahead of time in the first half even though we tried not to be!!! It was after that it all went wrong for me!!!

Chris I thought 4.30 for my first marathon at Edinburgh and it ended up being 5.12!!! But then I knocked 36 mins off my next one which was LN 07 image so you'll do great at your next one with no first aid stops image always best to get anthing untoward checked out, you did the right thing by asking for help.

• Cheers Alasdair.

I'm signing off now thanks to all for a great forum, kept me motivated in the long training period.

An easy Coventry half for me next. .