Options

Lochaber Marathon 2010

Entries for Lochaber marathon now online at www.lochaberac.co.uk

Sorry for the delay, guys, but open for business now and looking forward to welcoming you to Fort William for Sunday 18th April 2010

Comments

• Options
    I'll definitely be signing up for this again. Didn't have good run last year - but hoping to do better next year. Great race and great part of the world.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Entry done, am looking forward to this great race againimage
  • Options
    I have had my london rejection so think I will apply for Lochaber, sounds much more my kinda think anyway!
  • Options
    up- just entered (am doing Loch Ness tomorrow, so we'll see whether I still think this is a god idea by monday!)
  • Options
    I did loch ness yesterday and still think its a braw idea, blimey...........!!!!!
  • Options
    Would love to do this one but waiting to see how base building after injury goes. Does anyone know if / when it tends to sell out?
  • Options

Got my entry in yesterday, before the euphoria of Loch Ness wore off.

Lotte32-I entered  as late as February for the 2009 race. It's a relatively small event and doesn't fill up all that quickly.

• Options
    Hello....................is there anybody there- hoping to kick start this thread again, as I'm now into pre- training training (!?!- trying to get to apoint where I can cope with the fist LSR of my schedule, which says 21km- not run over 10 miles for months!!!,) starting the plan in earnest on 21st dec, as I need a weeks holiday for skiiing in the middle.
  • Options

Tricialitt - I think this threads in hibernation.

Planning to start my mara training for this in January and have just been trying to tick over till then, have only run 9 miles once since Loch Ness. Currently am on the bench due to a twisted ankle from doing some XC, but should be running again soon.

21st of December aint that far away.

Good luck with your training.

OGL

• Options

Hi Tricialitt, I remember you from last years thread.  I'm not running Lochaber this year.  After last year's disapointing  under performance I am hoping for better at the Shakespeare marathon this time round.  Rest assured the Shakespeare thread is just as dead as this one!

Good luck all!

• Options

Just tryig to gather the energy to get going with my first LSR for this- but pavements in West Dunbartonshire still icy- so it'll be the treadmill for me, I think................or maybe wait 'til tomorrow......................

Is there anybody out there?

• Options

I've signed up for this in a moment of madness.  Training started this week!  I've been up before to watch a mate run this before so looking forward to it.  I've not run a marathon since Blackpool 5 years ago so I'm hoping my motivation levels will remain high for the next 15 and a bit weeks!

Good luck to everyone running this.

• Options
    This weather is playing havoc with training plan . Did first run of 2010 yesterday early morning - since Xmas kept waiting for snow to go, decided it wasn't likely to be going anyway for a while so I needed to get out the door anyway. Really hard work running in these conditions.
  • Options

Lots of tready running- am into week 3 of plan ('cos I have to factor in a ski holiday, too). Wouldn't fancy running outdoors just now!

Hopefully the snow will be gone by race day!image

• Options
    Tricialitt,  probably be a heatwave by then!image  Got out and did 4 miles in snow yesterday night. Just counted weeks to Lochaber - 14wks - which means I'm behind on my LSRs already! Have you any races planned before April?
  • Options

24 km LSR on tready yesterday- (schedule said 27km ,but I'm a bit behind- 24 was enough- wiped me out for whole day)

I might do the Balloch- Clydebank half (march......not sure of date yet)..PB'd on it last year- I actually think half's are my favourite distance at present (used to be 10k, but I've sped up so much that I now need to half- kill myself to get near my PB!?!).

Nothing else planned at the mo until after- will do Glasgow womens's 10k, poalroid 10k series, and GSR half later in summer

• Options

I'm toying with the idea of doing this as my spring marathon. I signed up for Loch Ness but that's still ages away.  Decisions decisions.

• Options
    Starting to get organised for this now- training underway- hotel booked (Alexandra- 'cos the premier inn's already full!) just need to get there without injuries, how's everyone else's training plans going?
  • Options

Training hasn't really got into gear and started yet, still just ticking over and muddling along.

Have only ran outside three times in January so far, too much ice & snow about to make it worthwhile (or safe). All my other miles have been done on the treadmill.

At least I've got my accommodation booked now, a week in in a holiday lodge in ballachulish, have to keep the support crew happy, that's the other half and the two kids.

• Options

I decided to just sign up for Lochaber so I'm in week 4 of a 16 week programme but I haven't run a long run for quite a while. Last week's attempt was aborted due to ice so I'll have to make up for it this weekend. My plan this year is to do a lot more cross training in addition to running to build all round fitness. I've started off by cycling to work every day and going to the pool as well as running tempo runs and track/hill sessions with the club so I should be in reasonable shape.  It's only been a couple of months since my last marathon so hopefully I've not completely lost all that endurance.

How is everyone else getting on?

• Options

Greg- you'll not have lost much in 2 months- it's probably good to have a decent break before getting back into it.

I did a scary tempo run this morning in the gym , that mainly serves to remind me that I have a long way to go before race day............................

• Options

Hi. I'm still hoping to do this one. On week 6 of 18 week plan and things going ok so far. Had to take 3 months off due to injury after FLM last year so don't want to repeat that by running through injuries again.

If I get to the start line fit I would be looking to go sub3.30, my PB is 3.35. 

I would need to sort accomodation for my  brood / support crew. Is ballachulish close to the start OGL?

• Options
    Lotte32 wrote (see)

I would need to sort accomodation for my  brood / support crew. Is ballachulish close to the start OGL?

Ballachulish is about 18 miles from Fort William. About twenty minutes/half an hour drive

Had some difficulties in finding somewhere suitable as a number of other places were fully booked for the period which we wanted, also most of the chalets/lodges are offered on a saturday to saturday let which didn't suit either. But in the end we got what we wanted and for the dates we wanted.

What's your training and mileage for your sub3.30?

My PB is 3:11 and I'm hoping to better that, but haven't been able to get out on the roads to get the miles in as much as I would like, have been doing a big chunk on the treadmill instead.

• Options
    Hi OGL. I'll have a look at Ballachulish as a possibility then. I am following P&D up to 55 mpw schedule. (5 runs a week) Have stuck to it religiously this far except missing one 5 mile recovery run last week, so pleased with that. I also cycle/turbo 2 or 3 times a week as I like doing local duathlons. Great PB you have there, what training are you doing?
  • Options

Lotte32

We're staying at Loch Leven Chalets, www.glencoeselfcatering.co.uk , their website only allows saturday/saturday bookings but a telephone call (and a bit of persuassion) got this changed to monday/monday.

Not following a rigid schedule as such, more going with the "accepted wisdom" of what's required for a sub 3.15 (a la Matchstickman and the sub3.15 thread) and that is each week aiming for 1x LSR (18+ miles), 1x MLR (13/14 miles), 1x tempo run (1hr, 9/10 miles), 1x club interval night plus whatever other running I feel like/have time for. It takes the mileage up to 50/60 miles a week and allows for a bit of flexibility if the body is starting to feel it.

My weakness in previous marathons has been more endurance than speed, I've tended to fade in the final miles, hopefully I'll avoid this problem this time round.

• Options

Hi all, thought i would join in with this. 2nd time doing this marathon and love the course. Where else do you find a man daft enough to stand in the middle of a main road waiting for folk to run round him. 

Accommodation wise i stay at Distillery cottages in Fort William and you can book on a nightly basis. Small cottages , but lovely, and is costing me £70 per night for 2 adults and 2 kids. They also have a hotel as well which is a dit dearer but both are excellently situated for before and after the run.

• Options

I'm lucky as the in-laws only live a few miles south of Ballachulish so it makes things easier on the day. I'll probably head up on Friday and that gives me plenty of time to relax.

I was out on Saturday and did about 10-11 miles then a hill session with the club last night as well as some cross training and I'm starting to get back into the marathon mindset.  The plan for this weekend is a few miles tomorrow night then a 15 miler on Saturday. I might add a few more miles depending how I feel on the day. I just need to get my first proper long run in the bag then I'll feel happier.

My core runs will be a tempo run on Monday, track or hills on Wednesday and long run on Saturday.  I'm doing a session a week at the pool and cycling to work and gym so it'll be interesting to see if the extra cross training helps improve my times. 

• Options

Hi,

I am just wondering if any people around Lochaber area would be interest in running and/or helping organise and co-ordinate the Tobermory(could change) to Ullapool stretch of the Great Briatin Coastal relay. We have got big chunks of Scotalnd covered but here only 3 or 4 runners. our baton  will be in the area from 6th-13th June

please look at the stretch thread

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=2&UTN=151490&last=1&V=6&SP=

and main thread where we are discussing how to get runners in the area etc

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?UTN=151122&URN=1&dt=1&srchdte=0&cp=149&v=6&sp=

good luck all you Lochaberitesimage

x

• Options
    Spooky how this thread's still so quiet- presumably you're all out training-  about 5 weeks to go, folks! Who else is aiming for sub-4?, I'd love to get a wee group together, if we're going for roughly the same time. Or am I the only one doing this?