Wednesday 7th October 2009

WaboWabo ✭✭✭

I hear every mother say
 easy peasy  I think....

what: couple of miles again

why it is as much as I can do these days!!

last hard : watching and not doing club race last night

last easy: same as above!

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 

Comments

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    ah thanks for the welcomes back guys, nice to see you all and all the new guys too!!!  Hoping for a new running leaseof life in xctry season too!!  got the mojo, just need the legs!!
  • Mornin' Wabo. Yep, lyrics peasy even from the first four words.
    Here's to a fab Xcountry season for you.

What: a damp autumnal track session for me last night
    Why: second one back

The combination of Sunday's session and more hard work at Pilates on Monday meant I was suffering with serious DOMS. At least I recognised that's all it was as I had neatly symmetrical pain in both legs. More specifically in both hamstrings. Ouch, ouch, ouch.

Ah well, I always knew the first couple of weeks back would be tough. And the following couple of months will be tougher still. Srsly - tell me why I do this?

Jog lap was murder. I had doubts about the rest of the session, just hoped enough dynamic warm up and drills would bring a bit of life back into my legs.

10-20 metres, 3 of each:  flippy ankles, bum kicks, high knee balances, fast high knees and spotty dogs (doncha just love these esoteric terms?) Still sore, still creaking like a dodgy floorboard, and with about as much spring. However, the following 3 x 60 metre strides were just about bearable and nothing was going to snap. So.

(sprint 250 - walk 100 - sprint 150 - walk 50 - sprint 50) x 3. About 300m between reps. Quite endurance based again.

"Don't go mad," said Pete, "keep it all steady"

I elected to run with Jean again, and tonight it was relatively easy (only relatively mind you) to overtake her on each run. Although I was careful not to go all out as I wouldn't have been able to finish the set. And I was well behind Claire on most of the reps, so I have a long way to go yet. I'm determined to build up cautiously. As Ceal has said to me - I won't have lost any speed - I can get that back and more later. Now is all about strength and endurance.

And head games.

Hills on Thursday. Oh joy.

• Wabo - if you have the mojo the legs will come.

Sharkie - reading about your warm up wears me out. Unfortunately I get injured every time I go near a track so no chance of me converting to the shorter faster stuff, plus the fact that I'll never be fast at anything!

What:                 AM Run intervals (done on treadie as it was dark)/PM turbo
    Why:                   time to inject some speed (it's all relative)
    Last hard:         yesterdays turbo session was hard.
    Last rest:          5/10

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning

Scobos: Nice time! Well done sir

NZC: You are one consistent lady

What: well its speed work night 6 x 800 @ 5K pace off 2-30 recoveries, given my exertions over the weekend more likely to be 3K warm up jog, 6 x 800 @ MP off 2-30's.
    Why: After sleeping for 16 hours straight Man Flu has disappeared!
    Last Hard: Sunday
    Last rest: Yesterday

Lyrics: Nope

• Mornin

Will do my midweek longish run later (down to 12 this week) - start of taper.

DD Glad youre better

AF - nice to hear from you - all the best on recovery.

Popsider - love the Dovedale Dash - used to do it each year when i lived in Derbys.

Talk later

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    dd lyrics no?  seriously?
  • Wabo: seriously, have now googled and should have known.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

See I did think so!

Not in VLM, just found my email in my spam.  Hey ho.

• Wabo
    Welcome back!
    Commiserations on VLM, perhaps one of those little yelow pills from the lyrics would help...

sharkie
    Love your posts!
    What are spotty dogs?

Club night later, off to look at a bike soon.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    LOL at endurance based Sharkie, my sprinters are off the track and doing hill sessions of around 800 metres and 3/5min progressives :¬0

Sessions last about 30 mins, warm and cool down is about 1.5 miles

What: 9 miles including the first 4 bends of Alpe D'Huez d&d
    Cycle up a mountain
    ?? Pm probably another run
    Why: I'm on vacation
    Last hard: hills and altitude mean everything is tough even the easy bits.
    Last rest: Monday
    Lyrics: nope
  • Morning,

Lyrics: more evidence that Wabo and I grew up listening to the same music - I reckon we could swap ipods and not notice!

sharkie - think I am with LMH - just reading about your warm up leaves me exhausted.  I'd never run on an athletics track until the Macclesfield Half-Marathon which starts and finishes on one - it's very different to roads/pavements, isn't it?

What: resting
    Why: legs shot after Sunday so having my rest day a day early - also need to let chafing heal!!!
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: Thursday

• mavamava ✭✭✭

morning all

happy holidays Gobi

Great pic AF!

Wabo, join the club!

Well, I knew my run was going to be tough today as I could tell without the garmin that my HR was up.  Still it had to be done so...

What: 9 miles which was meant to be easy but wasn't
    Why: it's wednesday and I'm working towards a mid week longer run
    Last hard: every step of that
    Last rest: thursday

Physio in a bit so I'd better go and get organised. 

• Lyrics no must have been on my 10 year binge when that was out .which decade was it from i remember 70s & early 80s but t hen went on a 10 year bender i was playing rugby league at the timeimagei was the George Best of RL keep-ed fit running playing semi pro RL but spoiling it all by getting drunk before games & single boy's things finally at 36 i came to life & turn it around.
  • Morning all

WHAT: 9 miles
    WHY: longer mid week run
    LAST HARD: Monday
    LAST REST: June

Went to see Martin Simpson last night, great fingerstyle guitarist.  If you do not know his work there is a video on youtube.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Morning folks.

Paddy - my definition of 'having some fun' equates to giving it a good go image Enjoy the well-earned taper!

mava - sorry, crossed wires. I was suggesting that as my email to you didn't get through if you wanted to email me and I shall reply if that works...... sorry to hear about work being a mare again.

Quality NZC.

Gobi - Mrs TT saw your Alpe d'Huez pic and thought it looked like fun!!! Longer term she'd like to do a tri as well so stuff like that is more interesting to her than a running holiday. We worked out this morning that she is covering ~1500m in ~30mins (i.e. give or take a couple of lengths/couple of seconds kind of thing) which, as I understand is not bad, especially given she is 21 weeks pregnant. That's doing breaststroke rather than crawl too..... I think it'll be a long time before I challenge her to a race image

lol BB. I'm afraid I don't have as good an explanation for not knowing the lyrics........

What: Rest AM / may do a 30min jog in a few mins or go for a walk instead - can't decide /
    club track session pm - 6 x 1600m @ 10k pace.
    Why: Needed study time this morning plus couldn't lift my arms to put on running gear after yesterday's weights anyway image
    Last hard: Monday.
    Last rest: Thursday.
    Lyrics: No, though I'm sure I'll kick myself when I google them in a minute!

Have a great day all!!!

•  http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_4_13.gif TT that excuse cost me a lot of £££££££££££££££ but it was fun the bits i can remember

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb112&pp=ZRman000
  • mavamava ✭✭✭

TT - you've emailed me via forum (I assume) and I've  emailed you via the forum and neither has received the other's email....me-thinks the forum messaging thing isn't working.

right, physio done.  Not easy after 9 miles and only a banana for sustenance.

Byeee

• TT -   Dont worry, I'll be giving it a good go (while operating steady pace with the notional target of a neg split). I'll know how i feel after a couple of miles - i'll know at that stage if i need to adjust. I've done the training to hit my target, and warm up races indicate that it should be doable (is that a word). RHR is at an all time low - i think thats good too. A nice easy drizzle with still winds on the day would be good - must talk to the man above!!. 

• 40:  I'd be struggling to run 3k in 11 mins at present image

Scobos:  Didn't mean to imply you'd peaked.  I know there's more to come too image

• Morning all

Wabo - hope the legs return for you sooner rather than later, mojo is such a good thing, you've done it all before and you'll do it again.

TT - 30 min for 1500m by mrs TT - that is good going. i swim breaststroke and can just about cover that distance in 35 ish minutes on a good day, when i have not biked to the leisure centre, otherwise its slower as the legs are naturally more tired. i think with my swim challenge i'll be able to increase my speed as i will have to get in an extra session each week.

Gobi - nice one, saw the mountain climb you referred to on triathlon shown by eurosport a few weeks ago, a tough one indeed. well done sir!

NZC - another solid run at O'Hagans well done

DD - good to hear you've overcome man flu, other than 16 hours sleep any other good tips for my future reference he he image

BB - George best of rugby league image it's good to see you;ve learned your lessons on the alcohol otherwise i'd guess you would have been with George B long ago.

What - 11 Mile on bike, 1.9km in the pool image d&d
    Why - cross training / swim channel challenge
    Last Hard - 04/10
    Last Rest 03/10
    Lyrics - no idea, think i'll google them
  • T i still have a drink but i do not go out for a week the last time i got drunk was when man u won champions league & i broke my neck in 2 placers so you could say i learned the hard way but the daft thing is i only had about 3 red winesimage
  • A'noon peeps.

It's getting busy again on here .

What: 3.5M Steady

Why: Habit and a cracking autumnal day too up here.

NZC: Good 5ks, cheers for sons birthday wishes. He's rolling in the money he got .Plus the new mobile phone.

Gobi:Enjoy hols.

Lyrics:Yes, shocked .

Are those my feet; Glad to have you on here.

Have a good one.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya'll
    well no on the lyric fo me , so guess it must be 60s track or something 'rocky'
    Af - neat pic
    mava - consultants, advisors, think tanks and quangos (as well as trade unions) all up against the wall when I'm in charge
    Last night was 7x600s off 2oom recovs in constant drizzle on grass. Really enjoyable session
    Today  -  6.2 miles very easy with two boys from here. 9 min/miling so very relaxing
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Sorry mava. I misunderstood what you were saying. I've given it one more try. If that doesn't work, put the number 1 @ yahoo . co . uk on the end of my name and drop me an email. Annoying this technology, isn't it!!! image

Sounds like you're in excellent shape Paddy image

Tec - I think that's why triathlons appealed to her as she's quite strong on the swimming. It's only lately I've been able to understand what it means when she tells me (but don't tell her that). image

Didn't know the lyrics even when I googled them.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    cheers tectona, they should because they have been well rested.  Fingers crossed!
  • Mava - sorry to hear about your job. I keep telling myself every day that I'd rather do something else but then I'm too lazy or complacent to do anything about it. I guess I too should slowly grow up and figure out what I really want.

NZC - that's impressive 5k running. Nicely consistent too!

Mrs. Scobos/Mightos - brilliant 10k result. Wow.

Ouch indeed, Sharkie. I know why I prefer long distance stuff. Sprinting's just too painful. And I'm too much of a snail

Wabo - what's with the legs? Are you injured? Sorry, I'm relatively new on here. Hope the legs will start to cooperate. And sorry to hear about VLM rejection.

DD - glad to hear you are now man-flu less

What: gym stuff today (spinning, upper body weights, core stability
    Why: training plan said easy run but I felt I needed a change
    Last hard: Monday
    Last rest: Saturday
    Lyrics: of course! I'm a rock chick image

• Lyrics - no, not even an inkling.
    Spotty dogs - no, not even an inkling

What - 9 miles at 7.57 pace with the dog - quite pleased as that's as far as I've run since last year and I did the last 4 miles at ~7.30s, I know that means only did the first  5 at about 8.25s but you can't have everything.

Mava - jobs eh, I'm also looking at getting into something else - seems to be a universal condition - best of luck with figuring out what you want to do.

• Spotty dogs is presumably a woodentops reference and the peculiar way the dog walked?  Once again, showing my age...
  • Gobi  Yeah I know, not really endurance based - but short recoveries so speed endurance building sort of? Anything that doesn't have 5 minute recoveries I call endurance based, because I am a complete fairy. Anyway you missed my first session back which was 10 x 300s on grass. Plod, plod!

SGQ You are dead right about the Spotty Dogs. I think we are of an age! There is only me in the world that calls this particular drill Spotty Dogs. It consists of springing forward with straight legs from the balls of the feet in a sort of bouncy scissor movement.

chickadee Nice gym session missis. Rock chicks never grow up by the way. I should know. I still have a bass amp that serves as a coffee table in my London flat. I used to subscribe to live fast, die young, stay pretty. Now I run fast, live long (I hope) but look like a ropey old hag.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    LOL Sharkie, I also use Spotty dogs as a drill and call the Spotty dogs.

I have a funny feeling we discussed winter training methods around this time last year.

http://www.twitpic.com/kl2na

http://www.twitpic.com/kl2nn

This was outside the hotel we stayed at in Les Deux Alpe last year :¬)

Todays ride was from this years accomodation to last years, basically all up hill followed by all down hill :¬)