Options

A call out to young whippersnappers....

Hello all, first post on here since I wrangled the account away from my mum some time ago.

As the thread title suggests, I'm wondering about the abundance of the... younger ones (pardon my bluntness image) on the forums. I turned 19 at the end of August and have a few half mara's under my belt already (hoping to break 1'35 at Silverstone in March), and tend to rack up about 35-40 mpw. 

None of my University friends understand my motivations for running at all, and - aside from a select few - don't exercise at all. Yet here I am, totally bucking the student trend and getting up at 8am on a Sunday morning to do a 13 miler.

Is anyone else in my situation? I would love to hear from you. Also, any useful sessions you may have devised/heard of/done for half marathons would be appreciated as well image

Comments

• Options

Not me - I'm old and slow.

But rock on, young'un!  You actually sound quite intelligent for a nineteen year old...

<<waits for clamour of angry teenagers>>

• Options
    Hey. I'm 20 and a 3rd year student.  In a similar position to you. Am just starting training for an Ironman (the pirates got me!) and none of the guys i'm living with really understand. They accept it though so can't complain.
  • Options
    Crikey Hoofin, that's seriously impressive. Good luck with that! Whenabouts is it?
  • Options
    Whippersnappers?
    Crikey?

Are you sure you're 18? Because I'm the same age and the last time I used these phrases I was taking the piss.....

But anyway, I'm the same age as you, but haven't taken running quite as seriously as you because of working and surfing committments. I got up to 30mpw at one stage, but then dropped to 0mpw for a while image.

Would love to run a LOT more once I'm at Uni. How have you found the running club at Uni?
  • Options
    feck me - when I was 19 and at Uni I was out boozing, smoking dope, shagging wimmin - get a life guys!

oh - I should also say I was playing rugby 2/3 times a week and training twice a week as well then........

carry on

• Options
    I'm a 18 year old surfer with no committments, working as a surf instructor and my uni place sorted next year.....you think I'm sat at home ironing my running shorts on a friday/saturday/sunday night? image
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Enough surfing ... get off the computer and go out for a run!

As I recall, there used to be a young runners' thread a while back and it was quite busy - plenty of young folk on it plus the odd Mrs Robinson type loitering image

• Options
    I can't! Sliced my foot open on a bit of broken bottle some C%&T had smashed in the car park at the beach where I surf. I'm sofa bound until Thursday at least image
  • Options
    ShleyBey wrote (see)
    Are you sure you're 18?

I'm 100% sure I'm not 18 - mainly cause I'm 19image

I was gonna join the running club but Seminars etc clashed with the training times so I'm having to go on my lonesome I'm afraid, I wasn't too bothered about it in the end.

I should also add that Friday is my rest day, because Thursday night at the Union is cheap drinks night.....image

I'll see if I can dig that thread out Muttley - would be an interesting read I think. Aside from the Mrs Robinson part. I don't need seducing thankyou image

• Options

Not until next July SP. Just trying to get used to tearing round at daft speeds on a bike and upping my running milage after getting shin splints.

FB- does it make you feel better that i'm in the pub at least 3 nights a week aswell?

• Options

Where at you at uni?  When I was at uni everyone was massively in to sport and working out.  We were into drinking and partying too, but it was all about burning the candle at both ends! 

See if your uni has a running club where you can meet some like-minded people.

• Options
    SPsyduckM wrote (see)
    ShleyBey wrote (see)
    Are you sure you're 18?

I'll see if I can dig that thread out Muttley - would be an interesting read I think. Aside from the Mrs Robinson part. I don't need seducing thankyou image

I had better stop lurking on this thread thenimage
  • Options
    I like to think of myself as "young", but sometimes I have to pinch myself and remind myself that I'm 30 in a few months so I'm probably not classified as "young" any more...image
  • Options
    30!  Tsh - you young whippersnapper, you! image
  • Options
    "FB- does it make you feel better that i'm in the pub at least 3 nights a week as well?"

that's acceptable - 5 nights would be better though
  • Options
    Beanie1 wrote (see)

Where at you at uni?  When I was at uni everyone was massively in to sport and working out.  We were into drinking and partying too, but it was all about burning the candle at both ends! 

I'm at St Andrews - you know, that posh place in Fife in Scotlandimage I know what you mean though - my workload has increased massively this year so I'm having to prioritise unfortunately. 

Lurking around other threads, it's amazing to see how many people are over 50 and still cracking away - I hope to be in their position in 30 yearsimage

On a totally unrelated note, what does this "Pirate" icon mean above some people's posts?

• Options

Pirates are RW forumites who (should be) training for an IronMan triathlon or who have done one.

I fall into the "should be training for one". It's a work in progress....

• Options

pirates

this will tell you a bit moreimage

• Options
    seren nos - dyn haearn wrote (see)

pirates

this will tell you a bit moreimage

Ooh (bookmarks for future reference).....

I have an awful lot of respect for triathletes. The training, the sheer load it takes on one's life (both working and social) the guts and determination.... one day, perhaps. I read a feature in one of the RW magazines once about someone who did the Hawaii one.... just mind-blowing. 

• Options

SspysduckM

That's where I went!  So I know there are more sports clubs you can shake a stick at, and loads of motivated people who you should be able to run with?  It's where I first got in to running.

• Options
    Hawaii one is called Kona, tis taking place this weekend. There's at least one pirate that I know of doing it!
  • Options

What is a whipper snapper?

What age does that end at?

• Options

Sspysduck

I seem to remember the Boat Club (rowing) did fantastic fitness training.  You don't need to row - a lot of people just joined for the circuit training.

• Options
    Basil Brush Mk II wrote (see)
    I like to think of myself as "young", but sometimes I have to pinch myself and remind myself that I'm 30 in a few months so I'm probably not classified as "young" any more...image

Does 27 (nearly 28) count?

• Options

PO

It depends

i was on my 2nd marriage, 2nd mortgage and pregnant with my 3rd kid by then so I probably wasn't...........

• Options
    Beanie1 wrote (see)

Sspysduck

I seem to remember the Boat Club (rowing) did fantastic fitness training.  You don't need to row - a lot of people just joined for the circuit training.

Oh yeah - I see them in the Union all the time - the impossibly tall guys who look like they could rip a tree out of the ground with their bare hands image
    I went to the sports fayre during freshers week to enquie about clubs but unfortunately the ones I talked to take place when I have seminars on, so it would be nigh-on impossible to juggle the whole lot around. As it turns out, I have a 3 hour slot between 10 and 1 where I go out running then, and that's it for the rest of the day image
  • Options
    Gosh, are you studying a science subject or something crazy?!  I had 4 hours per week in my final year... image
  • Options
    Beanie1 wrote (see)
    Gosh, are you studying a science subject or something crazy?!  I had 4 hours per week in my final year... image
    Yeah, Geography with Sustainable Development on the side, with Computer Science to make up extra credits...... So I have a ton of stuff to do image

4 hours in the final year sounds fine by meimage What did you do?
  • Options

English, but 4 hours is pretty standard for any Arts subject in the last 2 years.  2 modules per semester, 1 lecture and 1 tutorial for each.  Saying that though I did generally study 9 - 5  the rest of the week.

I had about 12 hours per week in first 2 years.