Stretching and recuperation

Last week I caught a cold and I haven't been out for a run since as I try to get as much rest as possible. I took paracetamol and am still taking plenty of vitamin C.  I am supposed to be running the Great Eastern Run this Sunday, so am hoping it will just be a bit of an extreme taper! I know I won't be 100% by then, but I am still hoping to give it a go. But on Monday and today, as I have been walking I have had pains in one of my calf muscles. My question is, should I still be doing some gentle stretching even though I'm not doing any running? I am contemplating going for a short, extremely easy run on Friday, but is that a good or bad idea?

Comments

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭
    Gul Darr wrote (see)

My question is, should I still be doing some gentle stretching even though I'm not doing any running?

Yes.
  • Jenny MJenny M ✭✭✭

I hurt my shoulder and was off running (arm swinging was making it worse image) and not going to the gym.

I'm back to running this week (low mileage) but not the gym. The legs seems better for a run and stretch, but my back is wound tight due to no stretching at the gym. I think I will have to include some upper body stretching before the weekend (also in the GER),

Good luck Gul... my conclusion is also yes, you should do some stretching so long as you're able to warm up a bit first, with a walk maybe, don't do them cold!!

• Thanks guys. I'll try out some gentle stretches tomorrow and if all is well, maybe go for an easy run Friday evening.