Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Good luck tomorrow Kicked it!

Your be fine provided you've put in the necessary training prior, my sticking point is still between the 10th and 11th mile when I begin to think to much but after that I know I'm practically there and have run that sort little distance hundreds of times to make it to the finish line.

Break it down into segments, try not to think of it as a whole, 2 10K's and a jog down to the shops.

Hope it goes well!

I need to pull my finger out and sort out some accomodation before it all goes and I have to run a marathon before I get to the start line!

My partner is the same mate, she's wonderful and drives me the width and length of the country to be my one-person support crew and I have the cheek to stick my headphones on and bearly notice her sometimes, especially near the finish line when my concentration is centred on making it to the end.

As for everyone saying about the VLM, its the same for us all mate, I think people believe its the only one in exsistance or something like that. I understand it to a degree because it is the largest fundraising sports event that only lasts for few hours.

But seriously people, do you really know how hard it is to get a place, I enjoy running for charity, but don't want to at every event, plus the fact that some of the charities ask you to guarantee that you will raise a specific amount. Do that not know that there is a lot of people struggling out there financially, and that friends and family do eventually get bored of "would you like to sponsor me!"

Will run for charity at Edinburgh, but it'll be my choice who I run for, and I know that by paying for my own place, all the money raised will go to the charity and to helping a good cause.

Anyway, enough of my ranting.

Once again, Kicked-it, best of luck for tomorrow.

Happy running all! image

• hi all

hows everyones running doing i managed 2 runs on holidays was way too hot for anymore image

so out this week for a few more runs before next sundays perkins half in peterborough, where im dragging my sister out on her first half marathon (she is bricking it).

just ordered my in training t shirt  so will be wearing it with pride when it comes

230 days to go image

• Hi Everybody

I'm thinking seriously about signing up for this one, I've only had one half marathon experience (GNR 1h 49) and I've run a few 10k ish distances, just have logistical concerns really as I know it's a nightmare to park in Edinburgh and getting out of South Shields after the Great North run was such a trauma I'm really hoping that it wont be a repeat performance.

Have just run the Burnley Fire station 7 mile and still struggling with pain on right side of torso, bit like a semi permanent stitch..ouch!

• Hey Nicola, if you ran the Burnley Fire Station 7, you might live near me!!

I've booked my accommodation too, so no turning back. I will have Mr Plodder + two little plodders in tow (ouch, it's turning into a very expensive trip, so I definitely can't back out). However, I love having the kids at races with me, it's fantastic to see them cheering and waving at the finish line.

I'm trying to keep mileage over 30 miles per week a moment, but as always struggling to fit it all in. Did 28 last week, and I got off to a good start for this week with a 10 miler yesterday morning - just another 20 to go before end of saturday.. lol!! 

I've had the same London comments. People seem to think it's the only marathon image. It's a bit like doing half's, nobody passed any comment on my running 2 other half marathons this year, but when I did the GNR, I got good luck cards and massive pats on the back from everybody I know. Weird isn't it???? It seems that because it's on the tele, it must be further..........?????? or harder.....?????? 

• bburn

ive had the same reaction from people about edinburgh "oh well theres always next year to try for the big one "  what planet are they on lol its the same distance, i do all the local halfs and no one has even heard of them or knew they existed

is anyone going to edinburgh alone, i am hubby and kids aint bothered image, so ive booked my room for sat and sun  night and im going to have so fun image (well thats if i can move after ive done it lol)

just ordered my "In Training" t shirt so i can wear that with pride while plodding the streets image

• Well I just got my London rejection.

They kindly put an Edinburgh flyer in with the letter, so thinking about doing this instead. I have done London in 2004 and paris in 2008 so Edinburgh 2010 sounds like a good plan.

Finding a cheap gaf may be harder.

Is it hilly, or is it just hilly at beginning. Blimy walking up to castle is hard enough - Running ... hmmm

• Hi everybody

I've just signed up for this, looking forward to it!  Gonna be a first marathon for me, but plenty of time to train yet eh?

Trying not to think about the nightmares people had last year...

• hi koprano

i managed to get b and b for £39 a night  so not too bad im traveling alone family dont wanna come but that dont bother me, by the profile it doesnt look to bad when it comes to hills.

hi ian

this will be my first marathon too and at the moment im not to worried about it but ask me in jan and i'll probably start to brick it lol

• I'm contemplating signing up for this one. The course profile is making it very tempting. If they could just switch the course round to make the last 5 miles downhill that would make it even more tempting! 

I'm running the Dublin mara in a couple of weeks time so i'll see how my old bones feel afterwards then make my mind up.

Good luck one and all.

AB

• I'm loving the course profile!  Down, down, down, down....

This will 'obviously' make the running of 26.2 miles 'easy'.  In fact, I can hardly see myself training for it at all. Pah! image

• Ideally I'd like to just keep running the first 5 miles over and over again .....image
  • good luck in dublin andy

to be honest too much down hill makes my legs ache image i dont mind it now and again but would rather have it flat

this weekends peterborough half is supposed to be flat so hopefully i'm going for a PB

but all depends on sleep the night before and how i feel when i get up image

anyone else got races coming up ive got another half in 2 weeks in worksop notts

• Wow Angela, you run a lot of races.

Good luck on Sunday, if you're going for a PB, what you aiming for?

My next race isn't until 28th November, the Wesham 10k. I ran it last year, and it was so cold my hair froze!

After that, I've nothing booked in, although I'm planning to do the Blackburn 10k Winter Warmer in Feb next year (that's a great race with an absolute bugger of a hill that just keeps on going and going...).

I think I should start investigating some halfs for early next year, but at the moment I'm concentrating on building up slow steady miles with the base training.

• Hi bburn plodder, have you thought of doing the Ribble Valley 10k? It's on Dec 27th and I found that last year it was the best incentive to refuse that third mince pie!
  • im hoping for anything under 2hrs 7, thats my PB at the mo

ive got heanor xmas pud 10k and clowne half in Nov

then edwinstowe 10k and wheaton 10k in Dec

i like to do 2 a month just to keep me focused on weight loss and my running on track image

the wheaton one is 27th dec so no over eating at xmas for me lol

• Good Luck with that Angela image.  Let us know how it goes.

Two races a month is very dedicated

Nicola, I have heard of the Ribble Valley 10k, and quite fancied it, but I'm off on my holidays to Tenerife on 27th December, so I'll have to give it a miss. Shame image. It will be a bit of a double whammy on the waistline, Christmas, then a week on holiday. I'm not expecting any sympathy !!! LOL !

• I'm doing Alexandra Park 5k on 1st Nov, A Santa Dash 5K on 20th Dec, 4 Villages Half in Helsby on 17th Jan, then nothing till Edinburgh.  Just done a half at the weekend, so wanted a couple of 5Ks to try and find some speed before year end!

Should keep me focused.  I have to have races scheduled or I just lose interest!

• hi ian

yeah im the same need something to aim for, ive got nothing planned in jan or feb doesnt seem to be much around that is close to me, im doing the kilomathon in march, noting else at the mo til edinburgh but that could all change when i get looking on here image

• I'm in, overlooked by London so choosing this as my first marathon, hotel and everything booked, going up saturday morning with my wife and little boy, then set off on monday(hopefully with a nice medal and decent time) for centre parcs in cumbria for 4 days. Dreading it,looking forward to it,nervous as hell and very excited, see you all there!
  • Im in on this one as rejected from London!

Am doing the Leicester Marathon on Sunday for practice - so it will be good 2c what time i come in on that one?

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hotel? Am travelling on my own (image)!

Happy training everyone!

• cheapest i found was the premier inn, think it was about 50-60 a night depending on if you want breakfast, it has a brewers fayre right at the side of it and it's bang in the city centre near to the start
  • ive gone for b and b mines near the start and its £39 a night not too bad i thought
  • whats the name angela? i booked premier inn for us, but the good thing is you can cancel up until 1 on the day and not get charged, so if i find something better i can swap,if i can't, well at least i got a decent room in a good location for a good price, makes sense to me!
  • the richmond house hotel and up to 19th may i can cancel with no loss of moneyimage
  • excellent deal,think i noticed that one when i was looking

• im not bothered what is like as long as i can crash out after im fine lol
  • Just back from holiday and I see we have some more in the "oh my god, what have I done" camp.  image

We can do this people.... Its only 26.2 miles what on earth could possibly go wrong???

Am loving the one person support crew, Mr CS is my support crew and a lovely support crew he is too... He's talking about hiring a bike at Edinburgh so he can cheer me on, restock my water bottles etc at varous stages of the route rather than just at one point.

We've booked a posh hotel, but only because its my 40th birthday present to myself (a month early).  So the plan is, leave the hotel 10mins before it starts and wander round the corner to the start... image

• caz

sounds a good plan having posh hotel, its my 40th next month image

• Hmm mine in January, is this a theme ladies?

I'm quite looking forward to becoming 40, I think my chances of actually winning an age category might go up.(in a v small race naturally) .hurray for accentuating the positive!

I am now thinking of the Liverpool half in March and all being well the Liverpool Marathon in October, makes travelling a whole lot simpler and will give me longer to train.

• funny enough nicola i was thinking the same thing about the age groups image