Scottish Runners

Comments

• Well I'm up for Eddie's Adbru. C'mon, yet yer butt in gear image
  • Seeing that all of you did Lochness,  means it is pretty popular among you. You must like eveything about the race.  Going to Louisiana next week, to do my first race since the injury. Trying to break an hour for the 10k. Even better if I get down under 55 minutes. Racing is good in the states in Oct and Nov in the south.
  • Adbru - did I see you on an IM thread? Are you thinking about the Outlaw. Just decided to go for it myself.
  • Jaggy - damn , I've been spotted  !!

I had planned on Aberfeldy for this year but life  got in the way quite seriously image

I have a number of goals, its just a case of which are acheivable without either breaking my body or more importantly my marraige !!

Time wise I took a big hit this year due to taking on too much with my OU studies (among other things) , 2010 should be easier for the OU with 2011 be heavy again so next year would be better for big events.
    On the list are a sub4 marathon, the Big Tri in Ft Wm, I think we are putting a team in for the Monster again but I really fancy having a go at the Iron Monster image, and also a IM at some point.
    The Outlaw sounds really good but not sure if I can commit the time to the training...

Once I wreck my body I'll then have another go at endurance motorcycling image

Life would be less complicated if we didnt have to work/study/etc/etc/etc  lol.

Tom, best of luck for your race.

BS, not ruled it out yet image

run safe

Adbru

• FFB- I've got my entry in for Lochaber now so I'll be joining you for the first two marathons of your grand slam.

Hope you (and the other Loch Nessers) are recovering well. My quads were still a bit tight last night but feel fine today. image

• Got round to watching the adventure show last night, fascinating insight into the race.  Bit alarming the health issues bit.  There seemed to be a few bloodied knees.  I agree that the leading lady seemed to make it look so easy.  Never seemed to be struggling, and looking very fresh at the end.
  • Adbru - Big tri - wow there's a huge event - makes me quake at the thought! I reckon traditonal old fashioned IM easier! Not seen the Iron monster but OH is doing the event so I may be able to do that depending on timing.
  • DR-as someone who can't cope without a good night's sleep I found the condition of the winners just amazing. I wonder what some of the slower folk looked like-completing the race after 2 nights without sleep?

Mr Fifer has entered the Devil O the Highlands 2010 (his first ultra). His ultimate aim is to do the WHW in 2012. Eek!!

• Jaggy,  The Iron Monster is the same route as the relay......... but you do it all by yourself image

The first Iron monster this year finished in around 7:30  , thats 90 mins ahead of our team !!

Re the Big Tri, I am from the Fort and so far my only HM and FM have been there so fancy the tri.  Its the bike that would knacker me I think !!

(p.s. The Wee Tri is great craic in March image )

• A'noon.

Taped and watched The Adventure Show from Sunday. Thought that the WHW feature showed that it is  a fascinating race. Not tempted, want got to walk WHW again though !

Off to Spain for weeks family holiday, taking my trainers for a warmer morning run than of late...

Looked at the Edinburgh Marathon site this morning, gives me food for thought as I lie on the beach next week !

• Hi Folks

LOL Birkmyre....yes strangely enough although I think the WHW ultra is an awesome achievement I'm not tempted either imageimage. Although the Devil section sounds fab, its just a bummer you have to have a support crew to do it.

Good Luck in your next race Tom, sounds like the training is on schedule for you image.

Iron Monster sounds great Adbru image. I'm waiting for you to suggest the Winter press-up programme again so I can run screaming for the door image.

Multi-terrain laps Bedshaped, now that would be more fun image...by the 6th time round the Pollok Park trail would start to look like a tank trap...dont think the parkies would be too happy though image.

Oh dear, 4m very slowly this morning for me....well, I thought the legs were okay image...I knew I should have gone out on the bike, but it was raining heavily image.

• Tp, I know what you mean about the support crew, I would love to have a go, but doubt that I could easily get a crew for it.  Finding 2 people who would be willing to give up over 24 hours so that I could enjoy (?) myself would not be easy.
  • Thanks TIgerspaw , good luck to all of ya, and have a nice weekend training and racing.
  • The adventrue show was fab, filmed it really well. Fifer you'll love the devil. Tiger you don't need support for the highland fling and there isn't a limit on entriesimage. I've support crewed at races and it's such a buzz supporting, more stressfull than running the race mind you!! The runner gets the fun part.

Not had a chance to read everything back yet. Managed a wee coughing and spluttering 3 miles in the woods today. No bears unfortunately.

Have a good weekend folks and you'll do great in your race Tom for sure.

• remohremoh ✭✭✭

hello all image 

Karen when in november do the entries open ?

• FF - yeh, company image I am feeling a bit daunted at the moment, especially given that most sensible people only undertake 2 marathons in any given year image Whatever happens, I do need to do Lochaber as it is still my nemesis and only DNF, so I really need to get it under my belt and deal with the demons.

The grand slam should be an aim to finish, with maybe one event nominated as my 'race' where I try for a good time.

Oooh brave TP. My legs feel great today and I could swear I was ready for action. Will given them a wee road test at the weekend, and I expect to be slow. I might cheat slightly and go for the soft option on the treadmill. The benfit of being int he gym is I can do a few weights too and pop on a bike if the legs object too much.

• Karen - think I've just developed a bad case of 'cloth ears' image What was that again???? image

Fling you say?.....24th April.....hmmmmmmm, wellllllllllllll <rapidly scans around for good excuse>.

Mebbee 2011 image image.

LOL...no, well, I have the 'small' issue of the JCC to complete first (HELP image) and that is 27th, 28th, 29th March, so realistically it would not be a good idea for my leggies to have to do their first 53m ultra only 3 wks after doing a 3 in 3 mara event.

Then I'll be up at the Cape 15th-23rd May to keep ole FFB company on her 5 in 12 epic imageimage.

<wears 'sensible' hat> image

Thats not a bad bunch of excuses now I look at it image imageimageimageimage

• Karen- I'll most likely be the driver for Mr F for the Devil. He has asked a better off-roader than me to be his supporting runner. I'm just too slow on the ups and too slow on the downs too!!!

FFB- Tigerspaw mentioned the 5 in 12. Are you going to manage Edinburgh after all?

• I was only joking Flying Fifer image......I dont think FFB has decided on the 5 yet?

Isnt Edinburgh like the day after CW mara or something? image That would be cutting it fine image.

• Ahh...she did mention a pal with a helicopterimage!....... Mind you, it is a bit windy up at Durness, maybe not the ideal place to take off fromimage.

I think the 4 marathons next year would be a fab achievement for FFB. Just a shame about the clash with Cape Wrath.

• What i am hearing we all may be doing more than 5 in 12.
  • The trick is not to over-do it image

Balance in all things my friends image

Now...if only I could listen to my own advice imageimage.

• Flying Fifer, it's not a pretty sight after 2 nights on the WHW. I've done support for the last 2 yeas and it's a tough old slog. That said, I wouldn't change it for the world image

Gosh look at the time - I really ought to get to my bed image  Happy weekend all and all the best running and racing image

• Morning all, CW is 16 - 22 and Edinburgh is 23rd May. As much as i want to do a grand slam, I think 2 marathons on consecutive days at the end of CW would be lunacy. I don't want to miss the CW ceilidh as that it so much part of ther event and a chance to say thanks to everyone. The helicopter idea could work, but then there would be the small matter of a car stuck up in Durness.

I also don't want to risk injury so early in the year.

From my own experience of Edinburgh plus what I have been told by other runners I am actually quite glad that I can't do it, as I think that would have been the high risk event for me.

So, at the moment it is 4: Lochaber, CW, Moray and Loch Ness. Dumfries are due to run one again, but there is no word from the club so far; and you never know something else may crop up.

• Happy marathon hunting FFB. Good training to ya. First day below freezing here. Got to get out of the frigid north and head south.
  • Too late. This is bust your arse day with the first snow of the season. Wet one .
  • FFB - Knowing the way the timing of these things always seems to work out they will probably run Dumfries in the 3 weeks between Moray and LN image......then moan when they only get 15 folk entering it image!

Tom - snow already? Was supposed to snow on the hills here last week but it got warmer and lashed down with rain instead...I think 'global warming' for Scotland = warmer and wetter image, no fear of a water shortage anyway!

Cycling today, oh the joy of the open road, the wind in your fur and the flies in your eye image!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone.

• Yeah Tigerspaw, going on a 13 hr drive south of Omaha  where the weather is about 40 degrees above freezing, and still shirtless weather.
  • Sounds good Tom, enjoy your trip.
  • Great bike ride today - circa 65 miles up to Perth via a few hills. It was fabimage

I might run tomorrow but a mate is lending me a bike for my son to try out road biking. Should be fun cycling together so I may do that instead.

Happy travels Tom.

Happy running everyone else except TP - happy biking!