Scottish Runners

Comments

• TP - we have snow on the caringorms, or we did. About 2 inches fell last Saturday nights and we saw it when we drove back from LN.

Dumfries usually runs in March so it would a triple bill for the the spring imageimage

I went to eh gym today and worked out a new weights program then went on the treadmill and my little leggies were not happy. My left glute and hamstring were a bit uncomfortable, so I came off and went onto the bike at whih point my left quad started to whingw. So I gave up and came home and have done some very thorough stretching.

• Thanks Jaggy, I enjoyed today, nice to do something different, and good weather here too. Hopefully more of the same tommorrow image.

Tbh I have been desparate to get LN over and done with so I can build back to some decent road biking distances. I did about 45m today, but want to get back up to being comfortable over the 60's and 70's image, which I havent attempted for a while now.

Ooh snow already FFB, I came back the long way via A82 (bit of a tradition after LN now image) and there was none, cold wind though image. My legs did not like running yesterday either, oh no, they were having none of it image.

• What are you training for on the bike TP?

Our wee unofficial club is very relaxed and we usually head out on a Saturday morning from Dunfermline and do what we call a coffee run. Relaxed pace, catch up all the news with the rest of the group and stop for coffee and a bun on the way round. If you every are over in this part of the world and want to join us you would be welcomed by the guys.

• Hi Guys,

A bit sore tonight after todays attempt at the 'Charmer'

If any of you hill runners fancy a fab race then you need to try this one, small event (70 teams of 2 ), very well organised and a 'brutal' finish !!

The 4 miles downhill shredded my quads but did a reasonable 31 mins for the run
    The 4 mile mountain bike wasnt too bad and was happy with 24mins for that.

The 4 miles uphill on knackered legs wasnt very pretty !!
    The last 1.5miles were all walked rather than run giving a time of approx 55mins for the uphill image

I think I need to do some hill training !!

Right, 2 computers setup so off to watch Kona image

• I went into the Perth Big Fun Run this morning (to marshall). A couple of people who did Loch Ness last week got great 5k times.

I've finally gone down with my elder son's lurgy- tracheitis and feeling not quite 100% .

I dare not run as I get bronchitis if I run with a lurgy, and I DON'T want that!!

At least my body will get the chance to recover fully from Loch Ness.

• I was seriously considering turning up for the Perth race - it's been a while since I did a 5k race and I'm not too far away - but IIRC, wasn't it £10 to enter? It seemed a bit dear for a 5k race.

It's been fantastic weather the last few days over on the coast - gonna get a 13-miler in tomorrow morning before I head off to Glasgow for Progressive Nation.

• SP-yes it was £10.

I would say there were only 30-40 club or serious runners there.

There were 250 folk though, a lot of whom were run/walking and raising money for various charities.

The last finisher was a 2 year-old girl who had survived meningitis herself, and had been sponsored to the tune of £2000, for the Meningitis Trust .

• The Flying Fifer wrote (see)
    The last finisher was a 2 year-old girl who had survived meningitis herself, and had been sponsored to the tune of £2000, for the Meningitis Trust .

That's one of the most heartwarming things I've heard in a long time. Really puts the rest of us in our place eh?

• I know what you mean SP.

It certainly brought a tear to my eye when the wee girl toddled over the finishing line to a big cheer from everyone who was still there. Bless!

• Jaggy - not aiming for any race in particular at the moment, just want to maintain my bike fitness over the winter. I fancy a crack at the Ullapool sportive one year (cant remember exactly what they call it but it starts in Ullapool and heads north), but I'm no where near ready to go back to that distance yet, particularly given the hills up there.

Well Done at the Chalmer Adbru image.

• The Ullapool Sportive is great - it's run by Hands on Events. I did the Skye Sportive earlier in the year and really enjoyed it. It's 120 miles which I'm sure you know and has quite a lot of climbing if I remember 3,000m!

Go for it!

That was a great story about the 2 year old. 

• Aw well done that wee girl Flying Fifer image

Well done Adbru. Look after those mashed quads image

Happy biking Tigerspaw and Jaggy.

Happy travels Tom.

and Happy running everyone else image

• Bless - well done that wee lass image That must have been quite something to witness.
  • What a cracking day it is out there in Fife.

Great running conditions - wee 6 miler done in the sun and fantastic countryside!

I love Scotland!

• Seems very windy here but once you get out running its great conditions.  Did 3 miles in just under 27 mins so 9 minute mile pacing is ok.  Need to get myself booked in for some races so i have something to aim for .  The jedburgh one looks quite good.

• It's a great day today. What's with the weather?? image  Still, I'm sure we'll pay over the school holidays image

Planning a  few miles later on today to see how the legs feel post massage - ouch!

Looks like a good one Jaggy image

• Keyring the Part-Time Poster here again peeps.

Agree with Jaggy, it's a gorgeous day for running/cycling etc out there -  still got a few hours daylight left too if you've not managed out yet.

I was torn between running in The Pentlands with Harmeny this morning as i need to up the miles for the Halfs at Jed & Eddies (sounds like a Country n Western Groupimage). The routes/views etc up there are fabulous on a sunny day AND The Skyline is on today so could have seen a bit of that.

BUT - the lure of a race was too great and i travelled up to Giffordtown in mid-Fife for Fife AC's 5k. Great race albeit windy going out and i just squeezed under 21 mins for a pb so well chuffed image. How fast are these guys that win tho - the guy from Cambuslang was overtaking a CAR when i saw him on the way back....

Hope you all enjoying your day

• Well Done on the new pb Keyring image.

Wow Jaggy, you do like your foreign events eh? image Good Luck with that one. Had a look at that handsonevents website, some interesting routes they offer. Hmmmm, next summer / autumn could be looking good image.

Lovely on the moors today, but very windy, cycled part of the Strathaven 50 route then headed down into Darvil, blimey it was windy going over that moor at the back of Loudoun Hill imageimage...nearly had me off the bike!

Get that entry in Kirsty image - Jedburgh is a nice course, some of its on the main road, but mostly its out in the countryside and on single track roads, very scenic image. Oh and theres a nice big hill at the start (up the way) and finish (down the way) image.

• is anyone in the london marathon defered this year due to sore knee but in 2010 knee still clicks but not to bad when i run usually sore after a rest had a 4mile easy run today weather great and lovely getting out again
  • evening all

withdrew this morning from the 5k porridge run, my legs are fubar today !!

walking backwards down the stairs image
    I think they are worse than when I did my marathon ....  something wrong there lol.

aiming for a bimble either tomorrow or tuesday to loosen them off.

still in two minds about eddies.... i'll decide by the end of the week image

very windy up here today, hope you all had a great weekend. - monday tomorrow and I start my week off image

• image Another Scottish runner* here - 11 miles south west of Aberdeen.

*loose definition 

• Welcome also Miss A image

Well done Keyring the part-timer image  Now come on, get those miles in image

8 miles for me today image

• Stonking morning in Fife

Why does work have to get in the way of having a good time?

• Hi Jaggy, it is even sunny north of the tay this morning as well!  Nice 6 miles fartlek along the banks of the silvery tay for me this morning
  • Hello, thanks for the welcome and hi back atcha image

Grey and ominous skies here (no, really, in Aberdeenshire? image), I look right down the Dee Valley and Ballater/Braemar looking not-very-nice. Off work looking after a sickly child so run postponed till OH gets home. Consoled self up by buying a new windproof top though and sickly child a new Peppa Pig DVD.