'The Challenge'

Check this (I have an application form if anyone wants it):

Sep-29
BBC Challenge series
In what appears to be an interesting variant on the theme of "are you tough
enough", the BBC have launched a new reality TV series. Called The
Challenge, it is intended to appeal to the sort of person who sits in front
of the TV watching, say, someone trekking to the North Pole or doing the
Paris-Dacca rally and says "I bet I could do that".

The Beeb is looking for fit people, like triathletes, to take on a diverse
range of challenges in adventure or endurance sports. If you're interested
contact the Assistant Producer, Julie Soper, at The Challenge, Room 4454,
BBC Whitecity, 201 Wood Lane, London W12 7TS phone 020 8752 4824 or email
applicants.thechallenge@bbc.co.uk Don't forget to include daytime telephone
numbers and you must be over 18 to apply.

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner

Comments

• Options
    you entering daz?

is there a web link for this ?
  • Options
    tried entering this via email and it kept bouncing can you point me in the right direction for an emailable (sp) version Daz.
  • Options
    link here

not sure about the yachting bit... and i hope they're after nmore than just fitness.. cos i'm not _the_ fittest by any means.

will be interesting to see what commitment they require.
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    sorry mate, just got back. i phoned them and gave them my email address for the app form (presumed my email didnt get through).
    havnt filled in yet, but yeh up for it.
    anyone else?
  • Options

my email got through.

also info on sleepmonsters
  • Options
    my entries in. keep in touch if anyone gets through
  • Options
    wanted to do this but I know that the selection is at the end of october and as I am injured I will not have the fitness by then

I do know that all apps need to be in by the end of the week and need to have a photo or video
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    heh, video? damn dont have any photos left...:O/
    will send tomorrow

• Options
    there's a lovely video of me on tritalk :)
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    i wonder how 'reality' this will be. i presume something along the lines of 'survivor'.....?
  • Options
    dont watch reality tv much...
    i expect it would be a series of endurance challenges to select (scoring or voting?) an individual to follow building up to one of the big challenges they mention.
  • Options
    is there a deadline for entry ?
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    thought someone said end week. guess has to be pretty sharpish as they are having people down on w/e 25/26 oct!
    just had my photies done an hour ago so filling out form every now and then.

bit unsure as to what to put as far as experience in sports (ive canoed and ski-ed only once in my life as a school boy - what to give myself out of ten) in my fitness. should i be conservative or what? hate these things
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Conservative is not what they're looking for, Dazzle!

Yes it would be daft ot overestimate, but don't do yourself down. They're also looking for the right personalities - they want the public to root for you! (Or boo you!)
  • Options
    A couple of years back I entered the Arctic Challenge thing that was on the beeb, got injured but I knew a few guys who were on the selection event and it was basically a triathlete/adventure racers training course with lots of challenges thrown in, all in all the feedback I got was that it was great fun and well worth doing.
    Right I am off to dream up some wonderful attributes for myself and dig the canoe out of the garage for a paddle (help).
    Bset of luck with applications any advice is welcome.
  • Options
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    ive sent the form off!
    trub is even if i did get through i have to be back up in tenbury that weekend for dads retirement
  • Options
    My entry is in - someone has to represent the little fat welshmen.
  • Options
    actually - that isnt quite true - I need to fill in the bit about blood type and inoculations - I have no idea what inoculations I have had - but will hopefully have something on file from the past races I have done. Another hiccup is that the trials clash with KIMM.
  • Options
    Do you have to resist lapdancers?
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    id prob be so tired id have no interest in lap dancers.....never though id ever hear myself say that :o/
  • Options
    what are they? some kind of traditional north swedish custom ?
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    just had an email to say i didnt get in. anyone have any luck?
  • Options
    Ditto - but it was a nice dream for a couple of weeks!
  • Options
    lets face it if its the normal idea of a challenge as seen by programme makers for the public then it will be nothing hard. certainly not as hard as many of the things you lot out there have done. many people who don't have contact with the 'exercise' community think a 10k is an extreme event and marathons are for ultra fit health fanatics or charity money raisers. reality tv is an insult to viewers, its a form of cheap entertainment even lower than soaps.
    And lets face it they're not even real. The very fact that the people are in a set up situation means it can't be reality.
  • Options
    so you got a rejection as well then andrew?

;-)

fully agree re reality tv. however since having own flat and no reality tv addict flatmates i have re-discovered reading, so if that's the effect those programs have they can't be all bad!!
  • Options
    i didn't get through this time, but my training buddy, andy, did. ultra fit on the running and other things will post details of what he had to do and how he did
  • Options
    I am too much of an introvert to do anything like that. But it often amazes me how the general public are awed by such run of the mill things. I think its just because in general the population is getting lazier even gyms are geared up for lazy people with cable tv and stuff to make it easy to exercise like the all time con, the fat burning class. Spend an hour without raising a sweat, yeah right!
  • Options
    re. this challenge being nothing hard... I can confirm that it is quite the contrary... My friend Paul came back today from the selection week-end in London, where they were subjected to a variety of events for 12 hours... lots of cycling and orienteering. Some running with a 60 lbs (!!) rucksack, climbing, kayaking... various logical challenges... etc.
    The 8 people who will be selected will get to join a team on 8 challenges worldwide. These include (as far as I understand) sailing across the Atlantic, taking part in the Paris-Dakar rally (do you know how much it cost to be part of this!!?), climbing the North face of the Eiger (!), an adventure race across Australia (I assume it's similar to the Salomon x-racing series), skiing to the North Pole (!)...
    Not such run of the mill things then...

To give you an idea of the standard, Paul was selected on account of having been World Quadrathlon Champion a few years ago (cycling, running, kayaking, swimming).
    He could hardly walk this afternoon, but we still managed to do some tow-surfing this afternoon, with some glorious Welsh weather!
  • Options
    Hard work then , I see on the same bbc website theres another "SAS are you tuff enuff" series planned

Now I couldnt possibly enter it being ex forces and currently TA but surely there must be someone out there ..........Jon ?