Benefits of using Udo's oil?

I have just started using Udo's oil last night my husband has been using it for a while but just wanted to know if anyone else is using it and if they have felt any benefit or improvement since using it and if so how long it took? Maybe i am impatient as after trying it last night i expected my run last night to be greatly improved fair enough i shaved 4 minutes of my time.

Has it made a difference to you?

Comments

• Udo's what now? image

I'll take a punt on anything that takes 4 mins off my time image

• I was thinking the same thing Dan... Udos Oil... what's that then???

4 mins... blimey I'm happy if I shave 4 secs off... lol

• sorry but this made me giggle

The ultimate source of omega 3, 6 & 9 and the UK's market leading nutritional oil blend as recommended by two of the UK's most recognised nutritionists, Dr Gillian McKeith in her 14 day detox diet and Patrick Holford in his new book

Recognised!  Gillian McKeith

LOL

yes for looking like a walnut, not for being a Nutritionist

• Udo oil it is a blend od omega 3 6 and 9 and i think alot of body builders use it to increase there performance and quicken recovery time its not the cheapest 500ml cost around £18 but it is suppose to be great from increasing energy levels i had never heard of it before and only just tried it but wondered if anyone else had tried it and if they felt any benefits tasted bloody horrid best to mix it with drink or food
  • So "it" took 4 mins off your "time"?, just what is your "time"?, 4mins off a mile?, off 10 miles?

Sounds like a load of rollocks to me, and as for "Dr" Gillian.........

Are you sure its called Udo's oil and not snake oil?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

??

Google time...

The ultimate source of omega 3, 6 & 9 and the UK's market leading nutritional oil blend as recommended by two of the UK's most recognised nutritionists, Dr Gillian McKeith in her 14 day detox diet and Patrick Holford in his new book, The Holford Diet. Udo's Choice delivers a balanced 2:1:1 ratio of the essential fatty acids (EFAs) omega 3 and 6, and the beneficial fatty acid omega 9. It is a unique blend of certified organic flax, sunflower and sesame oils, with unrefined oils from the germs of rice and oats, evening primrose oil and non GM lecithin. FREE 7-day pack of Beyond Greens!!

Hmmm... OK, ignoring the fact that "Dr" Gillian McKeith isn't allowed to call herself a doctor any more cos she picked up her degree from a dodgy outfit, I don't see how incorporating a healthy blend of fatty-acid rich oil into your diet will suddenly make you run faster.  And there are much cheaper ways of eating healthy fat.  This stuff costs 16.95 for 500ml!

• no you really should look it up on the net it has been around for a while and like i said bobybuilders use it to boost energy.

as i am only 6 weeks back into running don't laugh at my time but saturday we did 5.3 miles in 58.23 and yesterday we did the exact same route and did it in 54.17.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    x-post. You lot google too quickly.  image
  • yeah i am not trying to sell the stuff just wondered if anyone else had tried it and got any benefits thats all
  • Never heard of it, not convinced that it could make that much difference, but if it worked for you, good on ya.
  • Hi Laura - Udo's oil has been around for ages - my pal has been taking it for years.

I tried some last year because Udo's book was one of the text books for my nutrition course and I thought I'd sample one of his products.  I didn't really get on with it, probably because my diet contains all the good fats I need and I think it overloaded my system and I also found I prefer to take my fats separately, rather than in one gulp.  It would be helpful to use an emulsifier when using Udo's oil in order to help your body absorb the nutrients from it properly or mix it with other things - but I didn't find it tasted good enough to mix. image

I'd recommend getting your good fats in other ways such as from nuts and seeds or in home-made salad dressings.

• "i said bobybuilders use it to boost energy."

yes and bodybuilders are not looking to shave 4mins off their best times!!

Omega fatty acids offer some protective ability against heart disease - I've been taking omega rich cod liver oil capsules for years for the heart benefits not to make me run quicker!

if you want to run quicker, train smarter or follow a much more focused diet than believe what some fricking sham nutritionist endorses...

you cannot base any improvement on your times quoted from this stuff - if you've been running for 6 weeks you will be seeing improvements anyway and many of us will have the odd run where we've gone quicker than expected - that's running for you

any evidence of controlled double blind trials to show evidence of this stuff working in a large number of people?? No??? thought not

• XKXK ✭✭✭
    I've been using it for 11 years. As I've been mostly well and healthy during this time it may work (or I may have been the same if I hadn't used it).

As I keep buying it I must think it does work! When I run out I do notice a difference in several things such as my skin gets drier.
  • "such as my skin gets drier"

to be expected if you take a fatty acid supplement regularly as your sebaceous glands i.e. the ones that produce greasy skin, are being denied their regular supply

tbh - there are all sort of claims to be made for Omega fatty acids but very little scientific evidence that they do what they say "on the tin". the heart benefits are reasonably well established but even here there are opposing viewpoints from studies conducted which are limited and far from conclusive. it all stems from Omega acids being found in some quantity in a lot of fatty fish like mackerel, sardines etc and those populations who eat a lot of fish like this have less heart disease. ergo - omega acids help protect against heart disease. but that is way too simplistic from a scientific perspective as other factors may also be apparent yet undiscovered

as for improving running times, I just find it laughable
  • XKXK ✭✭✭
    It probably makes more of a difference for me because I am a vegan so don't get the benefits of fish oil, etc.

It improves my running times if I smear it on the soles of my shoes and skate downhill.
  • great use for it there XK!

• Any nutritional supplement can only improve your health IF 1) you have a deficiency in that area in the first place and 2) you look at the effects over a period of time (i.e. months not hours).

While Udo's oil and his book on fatty acids is wonderful ( image ) and reminded me of all the organic chemistry I slept through first time round - how on gods green earth can you seriously think you can take a swallow of the stuff and run faster the next day. Are you kidding me?

Essential fatty acids do a lot of things in the body and are of course 'essential' to hormone levels, metabolism, brain function etc etc etc - where did you see the bit where it says 'makes you run faster'

Take whatever nutritional supplements you want to - but really you should do some research into what they are and what they do before expecting miracles.
  • I take omega 3 - a fresh one I keep in the fridge but I ain't no speedy gonzales quite the opposite! It's the right overall diet plus getting the miles in is what will get your times down.
  • My mate swears by Udo's oil. Personally, if you have a healthy diet and eat plenty of seeds and nuts (as you're a vegan) then you really don't need to buy expensive things like this.

It's just my opinion though and if it works for you, then stick with it. image

• XKXK ✭✭✭
    Has it ever been marketed as improving running speeds? That's not why I take it.

I thought it was only sold as a health supplement for people too scared to eat properly.
  • Your 4 min improvement is just due to you getting a bit fitter. Most people make some quite dramatic improvements early on, and 6 weeks is about the time the benefits of training often start to kick in.

Also s you increase  in fitness, your ability to push yourself harder improves, so you were probably putting in a bit more effort too.

To my mind it is totally ridiculous to think it might improve running speed. Just eat a healthy balanced diet, keep an eye on portion size, keep on training with a variety of distances and types of running (intervals, hills, tempo runs and long slow runs) and you will make shedloads of improvement. Most of our running is pretty much limited by our training. I doubt I'd ever be able to run a sub 2:30 marathon, but I reckon without other commitments, total dedication and a bit of luck avoiding injury I could get down to about 2:45. Unfortunately I live in the real world, have a PB of 3:46, and a more realistic target of getting down to 3:30. 

• Look all i wanted to know was if anyone else who took it had any benefits i wasn't saying that it was the reason i increased my time and i certainly did not want to start a debate on the stuff it was just mearly me trying to find out if anyone else tried it and now i feel like you think i some stupid girl who has just swallowed the stuff and thought i have become superwoman if anything i am more on the negative believer  thay why would this make a difference but you have all made assumptions that i am pro udo and think it is some kind of wonder stuff, i came on this forum for help advice and open minded views!
  • JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

Hi Laura, just reading this and i really wouldn't take the responses so seriously, no one has said you are stupid, they are just questioning your first post.

You will get all sorts of reactions on here when you open a post, especially when the subject is marginally controversial, supplements and stuff tend to get that reaction cos of the extremity of different peoples views, you've had some really positive responses, you're clearly not the only person that takes it and if you don't like some of the responses you've had then don't sweat it and just ignore them.

as they say, opinions are like arseholes - everyone's got one!! image

• with respect Laura you made the following comment

"Maybe i am impatient as after trying it last night i expected my run last night to be greatly improved..... "

that would imply that you were expecting some benefits from it and quite rightly in my opinion you were contradicted......

this forum is all about help and advice - with a lot of banter as well - but when people suggest exaggerated claims, then you should expect some opposite views......

ask a 100 people and you'll get a 100 answers
  • "2 pints of Udos please barman"

"righto sir, gotta a race tomorrow"

"you bet Udos is perfect for greasing my plums for a bit of chafe free PB perfection"

• XKXK ✭✭✭
    Two pints sir? That'll be £56 please.
  • eh? £56 ?

bugger that I dont care how fast it can make you ("allegedly" terms and conditions apply)

• How dare you have a thread that mentions Gillian "Oh what a fraud" McKeith and not tell me.  I could have been here much earlier to take the p1ss out of anyone who thinks that anything said by the afore-mentioned non-doctor is anything other than complete and utter b*ll*x.

So, Laura, the fact that it is recommended by Miss McKeith authomatically means that it is a complete and utter con and you shouldn't waste your money on it.  As for Patrick Holford, there is an entire website devoted to pointing out the failings in his qualifications, his complete lack of scientific and nutrition knowledge and his money making scams - http://holfordwatch.info/