Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• They're gonna be down by her knees before she knows it... LOL
  • Afternoon peeps

Thought i would say hello as i have just entered this and will hopefully be my third marathon. I say hopefully as i am also doing Paris some 6 weeks before this event. Ah well, i better make the most of it.
    First things first, wheres the after partyimage

R-Dave...if you look anything like that, i think a PB is on the cards for me as i wont let you out of my sightimage. Be great to meet up again with you and the missus after Berlin.

B/burn plodder.....I will see you in wesham in november. I also did it last year and know what you mean about it being a bit chilly. I believe there is no clubhouse this year to hide in and keep warm.

• Hi all, been reading through the posts and thought I'd jump in. I've recently finished my first marathon - Loch Ness - which I was dreading because of the hills, but managed it in 4 hours 33 mins. It was tough but actually I really enjoyed it. image Can't wait to do another one and considering Edinburgh as it's close to home. Hope the organisation is better than last year. Worried about the numbers too. Did the Chris Hoy half in Edinburgh this year and the congestion at Musselburgh at the end was a nightmare. BBurn - my running partner and I used the Hal Higdon Novice schedule to train for Loch Ness. It builds you up really nicely to the 20 mile long run. It's an 18 week schedule. I would recommend it. Still to get back into base training after LN. Happy running everyone!

• Thought I would pop in as I have just booked Edinburgh as my first marathon, being a VLM reject.  ONly been running 18 months but decided I want to run a marathon before I am 50 (and with the clock ticking that leaves me next year to complete).

Had a look at Hal Higdon book in the library and his schedules seem to make sense so might splash out and buy one or follow a RW 16 week one.

Just off to try and book hotel - hopefully there will be something left

• Hi running tortoise. Hal Higdon has a great website and you can print off his schedules.Might save you a bit on money. Lots of tips on training. Good luck booking a hotel.

• Thanks for this I have just logged on and it seems really useful.

Managed to book a Premier Inn.  So now all I need to do is train 

• Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭
    Running tortoise, which Premier Inn have you booked in to?? I'm going to be entering this very shortly but am a bit worried I'll be struggling to find accomodation (at a reasonable price!!)
  • I havew booked the premier inn lauriston place which is on Lady Lawson street.  I tried to book the travel lodge central because it was cheaper but couldn't get a family room and I am hoping to bring the family down to make a weekend of it.
  • Hill1 - The premier inn at Leith is reasonable value and still has availability.

It's probably 3-4 miles from the start but there's no shortage of residents for sharing a taxi on race morning.

• Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info guys, is the start of the race fairly central? I know it finishes a bus ride away, just wasn't sure how near the city centre it starts (not knowing Edinburgh at all) image
  • It couldn't be any more central.
  • Hellooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, is there anybody in.
  • i'm here!!

but feeling a bit sorry for myself with the lurgy cold type thing and havent run since last friday... deciding whether to go tonight

• DD...Hello.

Dont feel guilty about not running, if your ill, then your ill. If you feel up to it, then why not try a couple of miles tonight but dont push too hard. 
    How do think us blokes get on with man flu, thats a killer and we still get out of our sick beds and run.image 

• oh i am so lucky to be a lady and not suffer man flu , he he
  • Think yourself very lucky.

What time are you expecting to do edinburgh in?

• did london in 5 hrs this year, i was hoping for 4.30 but the heat / crowds / first mara etc all cam into play. i have times, 'amazing', 'good' and 'happy with that', so that would be 4.15, 4.30 and beat 5 hours!! what about you? is it your first one?

• Did paris earlier this year as my first and took me over 5 hours due to foot problem, one to forget. Entered last months Berlin marathon but again injury came into play and i withdrew. So i am doing Paris again next spring followed by this one, hoping to make amends, and if all goes t**ts up then i shall take up playing darts.

Shall start a time list for edinburgh.

• 2.30hrs

3.00hrs

3.30hrs
    Gold Pig - 3.59

4.00hrs
    DeeDee24 - 4.15

4.30hrs

5.00hrs

DD...Is that time right for you

• im hoping for 4.30 - 5.00

as long as i beat my powerwalking marathon time lol of 6.35 i'll be happy

• Put me down for a 2.50 please Gold Pig. I had a 3.02 in Edinburgh last year and trained really hard for Berlin but a knee injury a few weeks out meant that I wasn't quite ready for it. Did the first half in 1.27 but then it got messy and the back half was 1.49.

Will actually be happy to beat my lifetime goal of 3 hours and everything else is a bonus.

• 2.30hrs
    R-Dave - 2.50

3.00hrs

3.30hrs
    Gold Pig - 3.59

4.00hrs
    DeeDee24 - 4.15

4.30hrs
    Angela Gill2 - 4.31

5.00hrs

Angela, thats a nice figure to go for.

Rdave...am i your secretary?image

• 2.30hrs
    R-Dave - 2.50

3.00hrs

3.30hrs
    Gold Pig - 3.59

Beavis - 3.45

4.00hrs
    DeeDee24 - 4.15

4.30hrs
    Angela Gill2 - 4.31

5.00hrs

4.03 in London earlier this year, gutted to miss the 4 hour mark but the heat got the better of me, intend to do more hot weather training, or wearing extra layers if it's cool to simulate the heat, as i'm guessing this will be a warm one being in May.

• 2.30hrs
    R-Dave - 2.50

3.00hrs

3.30hrs
    Gold Pig - 3.59

Beavis - 3.45

4.00hrs
    DeeDee24 - 4.15

4.30hrs
    Angela Gill2 - 4.31

Bburn Plodder - 4.31 

5.00hrs

I'm snap with Angela image. I think from what you said, our half times are very similar.

• 2.30hrs
    R-Dave - 2.50

3.00hrs

3.30hrs
    Gold Pig - 3.59
    Beavis - 3.45

4.00hrs
    DeeDee24 - 4.15

4.30hrs
    Angela Gill2 - 4.31
    Bburn Plodder - 4.31 

5.00hrs
    CazSoul

I dont mind being at the back, someone has to be. image

• Morning all

Caz....I suppose once we are half way through our training, we will have a good idea if we are on track to meet our goals. You never know, come february you might be in the 4.30 group and I'll be at the back. image
    Which plan are you following.

• Morning Goldie, I emailed Shades for hers...  3 runs a week sounded do-able without impacting on my home life too much.  I dont know if you've seen/heard about it, but its basically 2 shorter runs (1 easy, 1 tempo/hills etc) and 1 LSR with the option of another easy run.  I'm sticking with the 3 as I go to the gym twice a week as well and I dont want to be out EVERY night.   Its a 16 week plan but I extended it so I started last weekend, that way I can increase the LSR mileage very slowly and if the weather turns particularly bad or I fall ill then it wont have too big an impact.  Thats the theory anyhoo.

How about you???

• Hi Caz

I remember e-mailing shades last year so i may still have copies of her plans. Up to now i am doing the RW 16 week plan but i have time to change that. At the moment i am just trying to build up the base and roughly running about 22m with 4 runs a week, so when the proper training comes in it wont be shock to the system. My LSR needs to improve as i am only up to 7m but may try for 9m this sunday.
    Your theory seems about right and is very similar to mine. Have you entered any races leading up to Edinburgh?  

• I've done a quick search on here for road races in Yorkshire and I cant say I was grabbed...  Will sign up for the Bradford 10k (March) as thats my local and the Sheffield Half (April)... I did that one last year and it actually falls on a 12mile LSR training week so I can just treat it as a sort of training run.

I've got a 10mile LSR scheduled for this week, am taking it slow and steady as I stupidly left it too late to train for the Great Scottish Run in September so ended up overtraining and the niggle in my foot turned into a killer pain at 11miles. image 

• Hi Bburn plodder - no, haven't done the 10k - I was going to do it last year but training wasn't going well and couldn't face Buncer Lane!  I used to walk home from school that way (many moons ago!) and it was always exhausting.

Just to let those of you without bus passes know, there are city buses that will get you back to the centre - I used them last year after the HM and plan on doing it again this year. 

I currently have no idea what time I am going to be able to do - my best HM time was 1hr 46m but I was much fitter then.  I need to get my weekend mileage up but stuff keeps getting in the way!   I want to try and break 4 hours so we shall see!

Is anyone planning on doing training races?  I was thinking of doing the HM in April, 5 weeks before the marathon.  Not sure if this is too close though - any opinions?